Sign in to follow this  
Chopper_Dave!

New physics  or same as always?

are there any new improvements with physics?

such as Ragdolls? or vehicle power-slides etc?

ArmA must have physic engin, i not want crazy flying body sad_o.gif

I can guarantee you wont see ragdoll, but it is possible they made the vehicle physics better

hopefully they wont, especially on tanks smile_o.gif i love these 30m jumps w/o causing damage smile_o.gif

*lol* i remember my time on the leopard2a5. we drove at least 40km/h through the exercise area and then there was a small hole in the ground 2mË› and just 50cm low. i guess you know what's happened whistle.gif the result were a broken torsion bar and one broken track roller. we were disabled and ready to get some milans from the hostile antitank teams around us banghead.gif

so i do really prefer some improvements on the physicengine welcome.gif

Do we have any Official information (not the pics) about what kinda addons we gonna have in the original ArmA?

My question is also:

CD or DVD?

With this new engine/physic means that the original CD/DVD(?) can support/carry (file size) more addons then OFP used to carry?

Will the ArmA addons files be smaller size and better?

I think it was a CD from what i read on one of the press release back at E3 and it was quite a surprise to see that after so much improvements done they managed to stick it all in one CD again? Most new games come out on DVD due to their massive content size.Maybe it will be on 2 CD's?

'

EDIT:

There you go.

Quote[/b] ]Armed Assault

Format: PC CDROM

Genre: First person military combat

Release date: Q4 2005

Publisher: To be determined

BIS press release

thank you, i didnt notice the cd thing.

With this new engine/physic means that the original CD can support/carry more addons (file size) then OFP used to carry?

If anyone has seen the VBS movies of the new collision stuff and such, you'll know what i want in ArmA.

I want to be able to jump in the back of a chinook or a black hawk without physically getting in it with an action button, just like in VBS.

I Would knock my notworthy.gif ing time for BIS upto once every hour rather than once a day.

One last thing, I think that if its possible in VBS, it is possible in ArmA and should be put into it straight away if it hasnt already.

Remember BIS i will notworthy.gif you even more and so will many other people.

I think ragdolls on a game like this would be a waste of precious cpu resources plus if colision detection isnt really good you get all kinds of weird stuff like bodies stuck on trees and walls, i could care less about ragdolls, i dont stare at falling bodies after i shoot some tangos, i just search for the next target pistols.gif , considering how much there is that could be improved wasting time on ragdolls would be a crime..

I think ragdolls on a game like this would be a waste of precious cpu resources plus if colision detection isnt really good you get all kinds of weird stuff like bodies stuck on trees and walls, i could care less about ragdolls, i dont stare at falling bodies after i shoot some tangos, i just search for the next target pistols.gif , considering how much there is that could be improved wasting time on ragdolls would be a crime..

You got it!

But I do not want the actual "flying animations", too. If you blow someone up with a satchel he flys thorugh the air, as if he was a stick... crazy_o.gif

darn, i really wanted to fire a tank shell at someone and punt him in ragdoll fashion.

honestly, i belive ragdolls would be nice to see in a game such as this, the type of ragdolls that AA <Americas Army> has got it right, they do thier ragdoll death and freeze after all movement has stopped

CPU is unaffected by this play it and see what i mean.

darn,  i really wanted to fire a tank shell at someone  and punt him   in ragdoll fashion.

honestly,  i belive ragdolls  would be nice to see in a game such as this,    the type of ragdolls   that AA <Americas Army>   has  got it right,  they do thier ragdoll death  and freeze after all movement has stopped

CPU  is  unaffected  by this  play it and see what i mean.

Already did, rare are the moments where you kill more than 2/3 players in AA simultaniously but if you spawn 10 bots and type a code in the console to kill them all the game will drop from 60/70 or more to less than 10 fps (10 bots dropping dead on the floor at the same time) for a bit, now imagine this in a game like OFP and its a possible crash imho.

BIS would be better making a explosion death animation sequence or removing the exagerated flying bodies has it was before resistance confused_o.gif .

All im saying is they may improve the physics but i wouldnt expect anything like seen on smaller and less demanding games, it would also be good to have forests in america's army but the engine cant do it and maintain a playable frame rate so there arent any, maybe in OPF2 wink_o.gif ...

Are you kidding? Before Res, when a body was hit by a tank shell it just slid across the ground a couple of feet while vehicles flew in the air. You want that?

-Ben

Are you kidding?  Before Res, when a body was hit by a tank shell it just slid across the ground a couple of feet while vehicles flew in the air.  You want that?

-Ben

Yes, has oposed to having bodies flying 150M straight in the air wich looks quite ridiculous and serves no purpose i would rather see them die from fragments of the explosion and fall to the ground, i dont see why a developer would spend time making perfectly animated flying bodies when there are so many things that could be improved or added and would actualy be usefull or improve gameplay confused_o.gif .

improve gameplay? funny, i thought it was perfect the way it was all i thought ArmA was, was a graphics and render upgrade with alot of other goodies.

Are you kidding? Before Res, when a body was hit by a tank shell it just slid across the ground a couple of feet while vehicles flew in the air. You want that?

-Ben

Yes, has oposed to having bodies flying 150M straight in the air wich looks quite ridiculous and serves no purpose i would rather see them die from fragments of the explosion and fall to the ground, i dont see why a developer would spend time making perfectly animated flying bodies when there are so many things that could be improved or added and would actualy be usefull or improve gameplay confused_o.gif .

well i suppose this will be ok in ArmA since its very similar to OFP

but i think in OFP2* this <span style='font-size:20pt;line-height:100%'>CAN NOT</span> happen. dry.gif

\edit: we can not have bodies flying like jets and vehicles (tanks) up side down. Also choppers landed upsidedown and still working, it would be too damn much funny to play, hihi

It depends on what kind of physics really...  Clipping physics? probably better... ragdoll? probably not.

But what I'm interested in is the objects physics.  If anybody remembers, OFP did infact have a little mini object physics programmed into it.  I remember stacking a few barrels, placing them in the air, and when you shot them they would fall, roll, and clip with other objects on the ground correctly...

I hope they add a "floating" & "drop" option when selecting a object you want to use...

So when I use the setpos command and have something start in the air, the first thing it does is falls, or floats in it's location.

(Fall incase we want to stack stuff and have them topple realistically, and float so they just sit in the air doing nothing for whatever reason)

Quote[/b] ]improve gameplay?   funny, i thought it was perfect the way it was  all i thought ArmA  was, was a graphics and render upgrade  with alot of other goodies.

If it's known as a type of OFP 1.5, you can expect some engine changes = more possibilities in the game..

And for everybody about the ragdoll physics, I seriously can't wait for this. It wont be the type of physics people are thinking about, where it literally looks like a doll waggling around randomly. The ragdoll effects will probably have some serious work done with it to make it look highly realistic.

I honestly rather drive into a soldier and see his back snap backwards and fly over the hood of my car, than drive into a soldier and look like a piece of cardboard floating in the air...

Ragdoll effects is the "new thing". Death animations are too old school these days folks.

(and you gotta admit, mission editors are gonna do some pretty funny ass things with these new physics)

(and you gotta admit, mission editors are gonna do some pretty funny ass things with these new physics)

i know i will wink_o.gif (for sure!wink_o.gif

Yea, death animations can be used on game from 2000. Today all new games have psyhic engin etc. So, i vote for ragdoll wink_o.gif but here BIS make rules biggrin_o.gif

If you buy hmm...Meqon engin you can implement him in all possibilities. However this costs a bit wink_o.gif

So, i vote for ragdoll wink_o.gif but here BIS make rules biggrin_o.gif

I also vote for ragdoll but..

..well i must say i disagree about "here BIS make rules biggrin_o.gif".

we the OFP community build the rules wink_o.gif

\edit: they will only succeed if OFP community likes it

Quote[/b] ](and you gotta admit, mission editors are gonna do some pretty funny ass things with these new physics)

Damn right! I can imagine making some fun arse catapult with a few planks and barrels and maybe a cow. then maybe a castle made of indivisual bricks for some damn cool medevil seige style fun! biggrin_o.gif

Hopfully the physics will at least be decent enough for somthing like that any way, i aint expecting any thing Halflife 2 style but at least a large improvement to OFP. (none of that damn clipping and objects getting stuck in one another and such..)

It depends on what kind of physics really... Clipping physics? probably better... ragdoll? probably not.

But what I'm interested in is the objects physics. If anybody remembers, OFP did infact have a little mini object physics programmed into it. I remember stacking a few barrels, placing them in the air, and when you shot them they would fall, roll, and clip with other objects on the ground correctly...

And if you place a satchel next to a barral it flys up to the moon...

I really hope this will be fixed

so if this new physics are implemented what will happen to a soldier if hes hit by a sabot?

Id presume hed fly up into the air or fly in the oppisite direction from the explosion whiles his arms and lims flare violently all over the place. Inless of couse we get detatchble lims, then things would get a bit messy wink_o.gif

Do you want ragdoll with only 20 units on the screen in an area 1lk square wsith no AI or no ragdoll with 200 units in an area 100k square with smart AI?

I do not think we are the point when you can have it all or Valve. Id or Epic would have done it.

-Ben confused_o.gif