Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Tea

Chieftain MBT

I`ve searched, but found nothing. Is there realy no chieftain tank out there for OFP? help.gif

Good to hear that. Damn I`m waiting for years for this beast. Unfortunatly I can`t build addons myself.

EDIT:

It seems that they are building the Challenger 2 MBT only.

The Chieftain is far older. confused_o.gif

The Challenger was introduced after the Chieftain.

I would love to see a Chief as it was the best tank I ever drove in real life.

Then again Chally1/2 does have a nice seat...

Our mod had one ages ago but we'd got the model mixed up with a few variants of the tank. It got ditched in the end as we are only doing Iraqi forces now rather than coalition too. But maybe somewhere down the line we will do another as i know the Iraqis got some Cheiftain's when they were fighting the Iranians so we might include it someday

didn't the south africans use modified chieftans called Oilfants or something like that?

didn't the south africans use modified chieftans called Oilfants or something like that?

They used modified Centurions. They wanted to buy Chieftains but due to the weapons embargo this was impossible smile_o.gif

They should have bought some Vickers MBTs off the Indians. They'd have done quite nicely methinks smile_o.gif.

They should have bought some Vickers MBTs off the Indians. They'd have done quite nicely methinks smile_o.gif.

You mean the South Africans?

They weren't allowed to buy weapons from any country since it was a UN embargo. Though they did some business with Israel, both being in international isolement.

EDIT:

Ironically now they can finally import good tanks, there are not enough funds available to buy them whistle.gif

aha thanks for that, I can never remember the difference between Chieftans and Centurions

Chieftain, Centurion and Challenger 1 is always mixed up. I hate them all! mad_o.gif

Though I would love to have a nice Chieftain. wink_o.gif

They should have bought some Vickers MBTs off the Indians.  They'd have done quite nicely methinks smile_o.gif.

He might have meant the Arjun tank.

Good to hear that. Damn I`m waiting for years for this beast. Unfortunatly I can`t build addons myself.

EDIT:

It seems that they are building the Challenger 2 MBT only.

The Chieftain is far older. confused_o.gif

The Challenger was introduced after the Chieftain.

we're not personally making the chieftan... kenji only posted his work on our forums seeing as the greatest interest would be there

Indians used the Vickers tank too.

Quote[/b] ]The Vickers MBT was developed as a private venture for countries which required a simple, yet powerful MBT at minimum cost. It used many components of the Chieftain and Centurion.

The first two prototypes were built in 1960 and one was sent to India and the other retained in the Uk for trials. In 1961 an agreement was signed with India and a factory was setup in Avadi, near Madaras in India to produce the Mark 1 as the Vijayanta. This resulted in the first one rolling of the line in 1969.

Article on Jedsite

Price/quality wise it's a pretty good tank smile_o.gif

They should have bought some Vickers MBTs off the Indians.  They'd have done quite nicely methinks smile_o.gif.

Indians used the Vickers tank too.

Quote[/b] ]The Vickers MBT was developed as a private venture for countries which required a simple, yet powerful MBT at minimum cost. It used many components of the Chieftain and Centurion.

The first two prototypes were built in 1960 and one was sent to India and the other retained in the Uk for trials. In 1961 an agreement was signed with India and a factory was setup in Avadi, near Madaras in India to produce the Mark 1 as the Vijayanta. This resulted in the first one rolling of the line in 1969.

Article on Jedsite

Price/quality wise it's a pretty good tank  smile_o.gif

Damn, I was thinking about the Vijayanta.  banghead.gif

All play and no sleep makes Ares a dumb boy.

I had meant the Vickers MBT. I was, however, surprised that the Indians kept to the arms embargo. After the Chinese whupped them they could have done with some small change to invest in some more modern tanks though, maybe sold a few tanks under the table to South Africa?

And it's arguable that every British tank made since the "Comet" has been very good...hell, we only retired the last Centurions just after the 1st Gulf War, which means it remained in front line service for 44 years - not bad going.