Sign in to follow this  
Crazy_lenny

Linux server

Hi,

I wanted to ask if BIS will provide the community with a linux server when they release armed assault?

I just want to straight out why this is so important. The availability of a linux server makes or breaks a community. Most gameproviders/gamesites run linux servers and they won't even bother to host a server when there is no linux.

Many games were unable to break through because there were no linux servers. One publisher who has understand the need of linux servers is ID software. As a result their community never lack good servers or even players.

Perhaps few of you remember but there weren't many good servers available around the period ofp 1.0 - 1.46 and the community really lacked good servers. I really hope that BIS has learned from this experience.

Our clan for example provides the community with game/web and voip servers and they all run on linux. We would be in deep shit... crazy_o.gif

And than we are not even talking about the stability and performance difference ;)

Thanks!

Fully agreed !

One of the biggest fault a game can make multiplayer wise - demonstrated again and again.

Games already disappearing again before even having the chance to establish themself.

(Especially true if you do need strong servers (hardware wise) for the game)

Yep, its very important that the linux server gets shipped with the release. Id rather wait a month more, since we then can get alot more people in the community.

I am not sure if BIS will be willing to bother with linux. They are windows-oriented sad_o.gif Anyway it would be good to have unix (not only linux) oriented game server tounge_o.gif since many mainframes run 'em (most of my machines run solaris for example)

T.

Solaris 10 has now ELF binairy compatibility so u can run it on

Solaris 10 too ;)

btw this was already possible in solaris 8 and 9 with "lxrun".

Hm... We had Linux server in OFP1. Why are you so nervous about OFP2? thumbs-up.gif

On your place I would care about native Linux client... Preferably in *.deb package. icon_mrgreen.gif

What triggers my worries is lack of support for linux lately. Remember the 1.96 issue?

As for solaris's lxrun ... it gave bit of an overhead to the running server, sometimes it was too much to accept. Solaris 10 looks promising but it has its own issues (problem with patches, accidental rebooting ect.) I am using it but watching closely what happens in the box smile_o.gif Good thing is zone mechanism that allows to dedicate part of the machine only for game server.

T.

Im pretty sure they learned from the first game the importance of a dedicated server for linux...

... man, we didnt even have a dedicated windows server to start with for ofp smile_o.gif

Indeed. But the world does not evolve around OFP smile_o.gif and they need to pull-up to the standards set by other game developers. What I really would like to see in OFP is decent logging in both windows and linux version, ability to direct information to log or onto the game's screen and so on, select what type of information is displayed (I don't want to display every bit of info I am checking)

T.

Hm... We had Linux server in OFP1. Why are you so nervous about OFP2? thumbs-up.gif

Because we had to wait untill version 1.75 before it was released.

So we had the versions 1.0 , 1.1, 1.2 , beta 1.27 ,beta 1.28 ,beta 1.29,1.32 and 1.46 in between if i remember well help.gif lol

So it took them about one year and half to release it. crazy_o.gif

most of top art games today contain Linux server for MP ...

problems are mainly with "delays between release of windows server update and linux server update"

Well it seems to me that BIS has not learned from their experiences.....

server version 1.96b has been released now. And what do we see? no version for linux.... (same situation as with version 1.96a) The majority of the servers runs on linux. I really can't understand why???

Yes i am deeply concerned about this issue!

My impression is that they use this new server version as a testbed for new server side anticheat measures that will be implemented in ArmA.

I can't see BIS not releasing a Linux server for ArmA, but neither can i see them diverging any manpower towards a Linux server for an old version of their game that will be replaced within months anyways. They need all their people to work on two new projects already (ArmA & 'the next generation game'wink_o.gif!

It's like bitting their own arm off!

How can you test new technologies without servers running? Not everything evolves around windos crappy technology, really smile_o.gif

BIS developers, I know it is really easier to code for windows using some fancy RAD progs but for heavens sake please understand unixes behave much much better if it comes to networked gameplay.

T.

I don't like situations when PC developers release game only for windows and make Unix/Linux server. For me it's just leeching on linux stability and higher perfomance.

If you make linux server than create also linux client. I know that if graphic engine is separated from the rest of the game it is not so hard to make it work on OpenGL (wich from 2.0 version is as good as Direct3D). For audio and input related matters the SDL library can do the job. For example : Unreal Tournamet is based on DirectX on windows and on SDL/OpenGL on linux. There are also groups that can rewrite the code to make it linux friendy for some amount of money (like icculus.org, they had rewritten quite a bunch of games).

Just to put things into perspective, just how many OFP linux servers are there compared to windies or what percentage would like to be, given the choice? Are we talking 50%? 5%?

Is this figure comparable with other games?

Eee, what do you mean? Sorry, I'm not a pr0 user of english language sad_o.gif and i don't clearly understand your post.

Just to put things into perspective, just how many OFP linux servers are there compared to windies or what percentage would like to be, given the choice?  Are we talking 50%?  5%?

ASE currently lists 111 Linux servers and 127 Windows servers for me.

wow, so just over 46% of the servers are linux run. Im supprised that the figure is as high as it is but i'd say its a pretty clear indication that a linux supported server would be much appreciated by the community.

take in mind that windows server ammount is "tricky" because of no "fresh" linux build ...

so again you can't compare them equally ...

i'm also suprised there is no up2date linux server ...

BIS are working on a Linux 1.96b server it seems

BIS will give Linux ded-servers for ArmA and OFP2, I'd be surprised to hell if they didn't. There is no reason they wont, and it'd be a bad move if they didn't

- Ben

just from my point of view:

To run a linuxserver is cheaper- way cheaper than to run a windows server-

Pls Bohemia don t be bothered to make a linux server (pls. also for 1.96b!!!wink_o.gif

TY from some of the remaining crazies that are still playing a 4 years old game! ;-)

Best Regards from .at

wow, so just over 46% of the servers are linux run. Im supprised that the figure is as high as it is but i'd say its a pretty clear indication that a linux supported server would be much appreciated by the community.

Take into account that some clans made the switch because of version 1.96b and the ofp sentry tool. This was initially higher.