Sign in to follow this  
Chris Death

arabic objects

I just want let you know that i again started working on some

objects, to enhance the desert environment for OFP a little bit (unfortunately my first attempt wrent into toilett, as my

harddisk including all files - textures/models/etc. went FUBAR).

Here are some first pics of an arabic styled fortress:

arabic_fortress.jpg

arabic_fortress1.jpg

arabic_fortress2.jpg

arabic_fortress3.jpg

Primary i will concentrate my work on arabic buildings, and secondary on several objects which are seen every now and

then (not only in middle east).

I'll post some more pics, once available to keep you up to date

about how it's going on.

Also i plan to make almost more 70% of the buildings being

enterable, so that they are not only for eye-candy.

Those which are not to be entered, will at least feature useable roofs or plateaus accessed by stairs or ladders.

These buildings/objects will be made for the use of island makers and/or mission makers, to enlarger your possibilities

of using them.

First time that we can talk about a release will be when it's about to create some minor town with around 30 to 40 different buildings

btw - the mosque in the center is not mine - it's been taken

from nomad mod, which came with afghanistan island.

~S~ CD

Here are some more pics of what i've been start working on:

arabic_house1.jpg

arabic_house2.jpg

wood1.jpg

schutt1.jpg

~S~ CD

looks great, nice to see a kinda arabic wall , would be great to have insurgents holding that and trying to assault it in a mission, one question is, are the arabic style buildings walls really that thick? smile_o.gif

Wildo

one question is, are the arabic style buildings walls really that thick?  smile_o.gif

Do you mean the fortress walls or house walls?

As for the fortress walls i'd say why not - 3 meters shouldn't

be too thick for a castle/fortress wall.

And the house walls are from 0.5 (normal houses) to about

1 meter (buildings like palace or government building).

:note that 0.5 is the minimum to have working lods, and this

is needed when using enterable buildings.

~S~ CD

Just to inform you, i'm still working on these, but actually

i ran into some problems.

For those who would maybe like to help, follow the last link

down in my signature.

And to make this post not only a call for help, some news:

I've added a new object, which is invisible, but if placed in

mission editor, it will start a script, which will build a fortress around the object. This object is rather useless for island editors, as wrp-edit placed objects don't start scripts (at least i heard so), but might come in handy for mission makers,

to have a fortress without gaps inbetween or overlapping walls.

Here's a pic (for testing i've used almost same style of wall

pieces, in a later version, the fortress will have different

ones).

geolodbug3.jpg

Also i will make 3 or 4 different types of fortress, with different sizes or types of wall pieces.

~S~ CD

How about some arabic graffitti on the walls? For now these buildings dont look THAT middle eastern to me , they could be in portugal/spain even from the looks. Forts in middle east arent made in that way as youve done ... you know i'm sorry if this comes off as harsh criticism but ive seen some forts upclose here especially those of the saudi royal familys ancestors and they are made very differently and that style is similiar throughout the arabian peninsula to iraq/syria even with minor differences based on regional architecture and weather patterns which effected their make-up.

I might post some pics later to show you how a fort here really looks like but it'll be hard searching for it on google.

For now heres a few i have on my PC i am uploading for you ...

This thing is actually a museum but its a replica based on real fort structure found in central arabia (riyadh).

masmak20fortress20in20riyadh6s.jpg

Heres another unorthodox styled fort built in a mountains guts biggrin_o.gif

g3121aq.jpg

Off course you're right Acecombat, and i have already had

something more complex in planning...

...but - as long as my problems aren't solved, it doesn't make

too much sense, concentrating on the how it looks like,

as AI seems not to care how it looks like - they are just running through them crazy_o.gif

For info: i want add following later:

round corners: (might be a tower with connecting wall pieces left and down)

some arabic ceiling: (like shown in your pics on top of the walls - this will also hinder units from falling down)

some more varying textures + like you said, something arabic

on it (or blood - dirt - some smaller cuts like broken)

interactive gates: iron and wooden

btw - if they could be in portugal or spain, then they wouldn't

be so far from arabic ones, as those nations are a little bit

influenced by arabians tounge_o.gif - but seriously, i know what ya meant wink_o.gif

And for the pics: thx, i also got two books about arabic buildings (got them on a second hand market),

but the more i get the better for me and for the final-product. smile_o.gif

Anywayz, like i said - i will first care about functionality, and then about visuality.

~S~ CD

The point for saying Portugal/Spain was that yeah those countries are influenced by arabic culture in a major way but they also have a distinct christain influence too and your pics didnt show any 'purely' middle eastern themed buildings that what i meant.

I wonder whats causing the AI to run through the building though , LOD issues? AI paths? I dont know much about addon making though so cant help there maybe you should as ag_smith or schoeler they had a nice mod called 3WX going with lots of ME theme buildings/textures you could use and get technical help on this problem.

Meanwhile heres another pic of an arch/door in the mountain

arch2020hist20saudi1ko.jpg

Some building structure in Iraq dont know what it is ...

007.jpg

Quote[/b] ]I've added a new object, which is invisible, but if placed in

mission editor, it will start a script, which will build a fortress around the object. This object is rather useless for island editors, as wrp-edit placed objects don't start scripts (at least i heard so), but might come in handy for mission makers,

You can run scripts from wrp-edit placed objects, but it requires any player to be within the missions, view distance of the object, before the script runs. The overheads of running such scripts are trivial.

Actualy it could solve your problem with the geolods, at a push. The scripts could place additional objects that act as solid walls to the AI.

I wonder whats causing the AI to run through the building though , LOD issues? AI paths? I dont know much about addon making though so cant help there maybe you should as ag_smith or schoeler they had a nice mod called 3WX going with lots of ME theme buildings/textures you could use and get technical help on this problem.

Ah yeah the 3WX mod - ey i was also member of this, until

it died  biggrin_o.gif

Last thing i heard of my team was that the site was hacked,

and sine there .. nothing.

Well, also i had a long break upon some r/l troubles and a broken harddisk with all my stuff on it  sad_o.gif

And on this broken harddisk there were lots over lots of that

me stuff for 3WX, which you mentioned above.

But just for info: this problem with ai running through isn't a

standard (ouch i forgot this or that) problem.

I've really tried everything possible yet, and i might need some

3rd hand on it, unless i maybe accidently do something totally wrong, which in the end will make it work  rock.gif

Like i said above - i've already made a thread in o2 forum section (*hint* last link on bottom of my signature).

And for the visuality, i hope that i already answered to your

first post, like you expected, and i left nothing out.

~S~ CD

Quote[/b] ]I've added a new object, which is invisible, but if placed in

You can run scripts from wrp-edit placed objects, but it requires any player to be within the missions, view distance of the object, before the script runs. The overheads of running such scripts are trivial.

Actualy it could solve your problem with the geolods, at a push. The scripts could place additional objects that act as solid walls to the AI.

lol - u mean a wall around the wall biggrin_o.gif

nah - if these additional objects could fix it, why not the real objects themselves?

I could then leave out the main objects and just make the

additional objects.

OK; maybe you meant just additional objects only featuring

collision lods without any visible stuff, but this would then

just be a) a work-around and b) enlarge filesize and c) mess up some misisons maybe.

Imagine somebody sets up a mission with a prison, but the player isn't near, so there are no objects which would hinder

guys from stop there - or some units would maybe be inside

the fortress, which shouldn't be inside, but before was nothing

there.

So this method by useraction sections ain't really a perfect one, but like i said above: wrp-editors will always make their

own stuff how and where they want it to be, but for mission-editors it's quite harder to place things exactly to where they should be.

but thx for your idea smile_o.gif

~S~ CD

Quote[/b] ]Imagine somebody sets up a mission with a prison, but the player isn't near, so there are no objects which would hinder

there.

I never said there was nothing there smile_o.gif I just said the scripts where activated when the player gets within view distance.

When you talk about single geolod's, do mean anything other than a six sided, enclosed object will not be considered solid by the AI?

Quote[/b] ]Imagine somebody sets up a mission with a prison, but the player isn't near, so there are no objects which would hinder

there.

I never said there was nothing there smile_o.gif I just said the scripts where activated when the player gets within view distance.

When you talk about single geolod's, do mean anything other than a six sided, enclosed object will not be considered solid by the AI?

hmm - a 5 sided will also do it's job, but however.

All components of the geolod are geometric, which means it

should work. Also none of them is thinner than 0.5 meter,

which also means it should work.

OK, by the scripts you meant that upon player's distance there would come up those additional barrier objects (or?)

but i would rather like to find a real solution to my collision

problem than a workaround. Workarounds may help out in

one situation, but can create much more confusion for the

next one (my opinion).

~S~ CD

Just want let you know that the project is still alive smile_o.gif

mehouse01_2.jpg

mehouse01_1.jpg

Well, i got delayed at working on the project for about 2 weeks now, but now i got a lot of time left to do some work

for it.

Also i made some progress on investigating the problem about

AI walking/running through the walls - at least i can use

workarounds to prevent them from doing it (but this is another

story and can be read if you follow the link in the bottom of

my sig).

@Acecombat - as you can see; the walls got a new face now,

but don't take this as a final appearance - just a new way of

look, which will be also improved (e.g. better texturing and

some changes on models - also higher towers and interactive

doors).

~S~ CD

And off course i will create buildings featuring not only one texture, so that ppl can choose the ones which fits best

into their maps;

mehouse01_3.jpg

mehouse01_4.jpg

~S~ CD

mwahahaha!! small objects that can be used for cover will help allot biggrin_o.gif Are you planning to make some of those shadow-sheet objects too? wink_o.gif like four sticks in the ground, with a blanket between them.. you get the idea tounge2.gif

mwahahaha!! small objects that can be used for cover will help allot  biggrin_o.gif Are you planning to make some of those shadow-sheet objects too?  wink_o.gif   like four sticks in the ground, with a blanket between them.. you get the idea  tounge2.gif

If you mean something similar to that on the pic below

(without the boxes down and just a straight plane up or maybe summit lookin like a carpet), then i get the idea

al_nas.jpg

and yeah for sure something like this will come also.

Aswell as things like cable rolls (ya know those big wooden

weels which are use for big cables) in about 2 or three sizes

or everything else what can spend cover or make scenery look like there was some life before troops arived  smile_o.gif

Also i will try to create a whole lot of destroyed buildings

(at least partially destroyed), as in no fighting area you'll

find only full intact buildings.

There seem to be a big lack on those half ruined buildings

for ofp and i want to fill that gap  wink_o.gif

:edit - ah yeah i forgot to add the picture icon_rolleyes.gif

~S~ CD

Voilla: three shadow sheets;

shadowsheet1.jpg

shadsheet2.jpg

If this is what you meant Gandalf  smile_o.gif

:edit - btw - don't wonder that they don't spend some shadow on the screens (like they're supposed to do) tounge2.gif , but

i've turned my object shadow off lately biggrin_o.gif

~S~ CD

Exactly smile_o.gif

describing what's in my mind here:

1. the poles are of a brighter wood

2. the canvas is bigger, like 4 X 6 meters, you might need more poles though tounge2.gif you can store market stuff under it, or cars, or oil barrels, or animals, a 1 X 2 m sheet isn't really going to work I'm afraid :P .

3. the canvas also comes in a "non-flashy" color... read: desert , could also be used to camo stuff tounge2.gif

I know there are camo nets around, but desert camonets used for civillian cars looks a bit...

OK Gandalf,

then i think i got it;

shadowsheet3.jpg

shadowsheet4.jpg

Well, if i make them now a little bit bigger, it should be fine

i think smile_o.gif (maybe one more meter from left to right and 2 meters on the length).

:note - the poles are brighter too now

Off course i still must add a little bit of detail, like how the ropes are bound onto the poles, and maybe small poles, like you can see at tents to fix the ropes on the floor.

:further note - i've added a fourth canvas colour - now it's

two carpets biggrin_o.gif and two kinds of some stuff.

~S~ CD