Sign in to follow this  
Speed123

"Add-on Heavy" Campaign

Hello Everyone,

I am an aspiring mission maker and I am in the very early stages of creating a full campaign. I am really hoping to use several add-ons for my campaign, but I am wondering if by using a lot of add-ons for a campaign, if I am alienating some users from using my campaign. What are your thoughts? I plan on using 10-12 add-ons with a combined file size of maybe 50 mbs. or so. Is this too much? Thanks, your comments are appreciated.

50mb is too much for some people, yes. on the other hand, if you're not using any addons, some people won't download your stuff because they don't like the old ofp units anymore.

imho 50mb for a campaign is ok. i know some missions that require more addons... wink_o.gif

and when your mission uses the "standard" addons like mapfact baracken, ags industrial pack, bas choppers/deltas/rangers, earl/suchey marines/spetznaz or laser's deltas it won't be a huge problem for most people as they have these addons anyway. smile_o.gif

Excellent. Thank you for the reply. Yes, I plan on using well-known and/or popular add-ons. I also will also put them to great use in the campaign, so its worth it to use them and download them. I think I can come in under the 50 mbs. too. Again, thanks!

Hello Everyone,

I am an aspiring mission maker and I am in the very early stages of creating a full campaign. I am really hoping to use several add-ons for my campaign, but I am wondering if by using a lot of add-ons for a campaign, if I am alienating some users from using my campaign. What are your thoughts? I plan on using 10-12 add-ons with a combined file size of maybe 50 mbs. or so. Is this too much? Thanks, your comments are appreciated.

Add-ons are fine (maybe not that many) as long as they are easy to get.

Alot of folks post a mission or campaign with "links" to the required add-ons. Sometimes the link works, sometimes not. Or, the link goes to the "home" of a web page and you are left to search the site for the required link. Sometimes they don't even post links, just the name of the add-on.

Maybe a separate .zip (or .rar) file bundled with folders of the required add-ons hosted at the same site as your campaign? We would only have to extract the add-on folders of the stuff we didn't already have.

Yeah, exactly what raedor said... as long as you stick to most popular addons such as AGS, mapfact, BAS, CBT, RHS, ORCS, E&S, HYK, Laser, DKM, you'll be fine. smile_o.gif

Again, thank you both for the help. In terms of general structure, I'm planning consisting of 12 missions with 4-6 objectives per mission. With varying levels of difficulities, mission types, etc. As well as unscripted events or mid-mission changes. Does this sound ok? Should it be larger or smaller? Less objectives? Also, most missions will be conducted using a team of six or twelve with limited support (CAS or Armor). Again, thanks!

12 missions sounds very good imho. i don't care about the number of objectives, what i want is a good and continous storyline, and -- very important -- the mission has to be tested very well!

if you need "professinal" support, make one/some missions "done" and send them for testing & lots of hints and advices to mapfact.net. one of our missions, Chneemann's "Everon Transport 2", was in the top ten of the BIS mission editing competition 2004.

I thing u should use the addons that u thing it brings something new to game experience, I personaly dont think that 50Mb of addons r much, as long as they r well used and avaiable smile_o.gif

if it uses "good" addons like hyk, laser, our weapons, combat, footmunch etc...I'd download it..u can only go so far with the default stuff...

Why not use E-ECP? Most people already have those addons so it wouldn't require much downloading.

marcus

EECP is a config replacement MOD. For you to play with it he will need to make the missions in either EECP to test units are properly categorized or make do with simple BIS units so EECP users can play it with converted units.

I think its not feasible.

speed123 , have your campaign beta tested please before releasing it , it helps a lot to save other people the hassle of pointing out bugs to you and then red/lding it again and again.

You can put your beta up here for testing and me and other folks can look in to it for you:

Beta testing

Regarding addons in missions ...

If the addon has no OFP tag - DO NOT USE IT!

If the addon has no readme - DO NOT USE IT!

Don't include addons in the mission download, unless they are small or unique. An addon pack as a separate download is fine.

Don't use addons that merely replicate BIS units

Use addon packs or related addons as much as possible

Give multiple links for each addon

Link to the page, not the file

Use addons well: ensure every singe one really ADDs something to the mission/campaign.

60 objectives ... you do realise you are attempting something on almost the same scale as a whole BIS campaign, don't you? As an aspiring mission maker, I suggest you start with a small campaign of perhaps three missions, with one or two objectives per mission. Learn your trade (and see if you like it) before embarking on a one-two year project. smile_o.gif

Again guys, thanks for the help and comments, it is much appreciated!

@macguba

Yes, I realize the it will be quite an endeavor. I'm actually planning on releasing one or two missions, judging response, and then possibly stringing them and others together into a campaign. I actually have some of the work done already. Though I've only been posting on the board a short while, I've been playing OFP since it came out. smile_o.gif

Again guys, thanks for the help and comments, it is much appreciated!

@macguba

Yes, I realize the it will be quite an endeavor. I'm actually planning on releasing one or two missions, judging response, and then possibly stringing them and others together into a campaign. I actually have some of the work done already. Though I've only been posting on the board a short while, I've been playing OFP since it came out.  smile_o.gif

I'd be happy to test some of your Beta mission product as you build this thing.

As mentioned above, you ought to build a couple of missions (ensuring they have story continuity) and post them for testing and comments. I've helped out other mission builders in the past this way.

It's difficult to be objective in mission (campaign) creation, so outside review is almost a must, especially as the missions and campaign become more complex.

What I meant acecombat was that; With E-ECP you already have most good addons. Which would sort of make additional downloads less necessary.

If you use E-ECP as a base you still get alot of nice stuff.

marcus

@PopUpTarget

Thank you for your offer, I appreciate the support. I will take advantage of your offer, when the time comes. I'm hoping to have my first mission complete within the next month or so.

@marcusjm

Thanks for the suggestion, I see your point. I think I'll stick with my original plan. I personally don't have much knowledge of ECP.

Quote[/b] ]if I am alienating some users from using my campaign. What are your thoughts?

Fuck yes. There are certain addons... well most if you count recent ones. I simply refuse to use. So if they're used in a dynamic mission which relies heavily on scripting. Then I'm fucked.

I think it'd be a simple gesture of courtesy for a mission maker to release a version with stock units. It's not that hard to change it from there on to use a myriad of addons.