Sign in to follow this  
WackyIraqi

New Ocean Island

http://img197.exs.cx/img197/9296/police5os.jpg

Shootout above some houses in the residential area

Heh, I've done that too (as I might've told)... Except Lil'birdie was the gunship version (now Hawk-60 DAP), only few civs and a russian patrol. I go and... BRRRRRRRRR (most times only 1 civ is lost...)!

Back to topic...

Nice work, both of you. But, will a chopper/parachute jump/start-up placement remain the only possible way to get into the penthouse?

Looking forward to both.

sorry for a second reply.. but i feel this deems a new post rather then edit the other again.

updates and pics from the final layout of my version

City Night

residential nieghborhood at night. that building on the bottom left that looks like this [] is the hospital, and next to it on the same block is the police station (editor names point that out). and up top you can faintly see where i put the national gaurd base.

City Veiw

to the limits of my veiw distance (as my fps clearly shows.. i was at my limits tounge_o.gif ) as much of the new city. you can see how i fixed the cinema, admin building and fuel station in that pic as compared to the previous one i showed yesterday

2005 Mustangs Are In!!!

thats right boys and girls the car dealership has the new 2005 mustangs in finnaly. stop by for ofer details and financing (2005 mustangs downloaded seperetly & not required)

Car Dealership

the title and pic are self explainitory. thats the lot for the dealership

I C Trees

this large large large forest extends along most of the highway serving as scenery. (note: the ground texture transitions between teh forest floor and the grass has been fixed since this pic)

National Guard

National Guard base pictured here. not a very large force, just enough for anti-terrorisum and riot control. (not pictured is the generals quaters with 2 static cannons to show honor for the veterans of past wars)

Island Port

title and pic say it all. its the port for the island.

i forgot to get pics of the factory/power plant. but its just as cool smile_o.gif and that is my dream of how this island should be like. the same dream i feel usmcsniper and wackyiraqi had when they embarked on the project. as of right now im keeping the name Ocean Island. but if astitine wants to use the ocean island name then i will then change mine to something else.

Addon Dependancies:

ags_port (port pack)

ags_build (city pack)

ags_indus (industry pack)

f3wx_o1 (3rd world explosion mod object pack)

aces_it (runway textures)

jof_objects1 (mapfact airport addon)

art_bd (orginal pbo that had the buildings in it)

sgn_newpc (cuz one of the houses in the residential neighborhood just got a new computer installed ;) )

and for ease i have packed up ALLL required addons into one rar file totaling 40 megs (cuz the AGS stuff is like 10 to 20 megs a peice, but essential for creation of the perfect island)

Pappy, if you want to add the lobby to the skyscaper .p3d model, feel free to take that one from building11.p3d. I can even send you MLOD model of that building if you're interested. wink_o.gif

i dont do modeling. i can [make] texture, i can config, i can edit scripts, now i can edit islands, but O2 is the son of satan and i dont screw with it. it was ALOT easier to just stick your building inside that one.

scorpion. unless someone has released a 50 story ladder... yea the forementioned reasons are the only way in there.

ok its almost 11am. im goin to bed here then gonna get up and work on the ils system and hopefuly release sometime tonight pending astitine's descion on island naming (to aviod conflict)

Give me a day. I'm gonna try to fix that car park and skyscrapper without lobby. smile_o.gif

astatine & pappy: nice job on your islands, they look very nice.

have fun trying to get a hamburger and fries from mcdonalds with the 18-wheeler without knocking over them poles lol tounge_o.gif

pappy-are you going to realese everything in a huge pack? or the required addons in one, and the island in another?

keep up the good work guys wink_o.gif

EDIT:: where could i download the new pc and runway textures at? i can't find them at ofp.info

As promised...

I fixed GeoLOD and destrType on some of the skyscrappers as well as multi-story car park.

Simply overwrite the files in original art_bd.pbo and repack again.

Download here

smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]wow. that looks. rather laggy. at least for me anyway. you look like your goin with more of a jungle-ey theme for yours whilst i kept mine urban. wow this is uncomfortable.

Hey, sorry to have caused you some discomfort! sad_o.gif

However, i understand where you are coming from, two islands is best and i will simply rename mine (or just not release)

Looking forward to yours! Especially the macdonalds smile_o.gif

i was thinking more about my post and i feel i may have come off rather iggnorant and i didnt mean to be. your upgrade and mine are differnt. i fully belive you should release yours too. varaity is nice.

the reason i declined your offer is becuz we combin forces, you want to use bas houses, i want to get rid of the bas dependancy. we'd end up comrpmising on something, and althou it would solve the "whos idea to use" problem, we both secretly would be a touch disappointed or upset that our orginal idea wasnt used. having embarked on this project only a few days ago and learning wrptool along the way i fully understand just how difficult this is to do and i, as well as others here would hate for you to keep it private even after you showed us screenshots. so please by alll means release it when your ready.

oh and i apprecate you ofering to rename it, cuz i already embeded the names in the map and Ocean Island International (airport) is hard to change tounge_o.gif

good luck with yours.

ag smith, thanks for the fix, ill check those out now

wackyiraqi, i plan on including all needed addons in one file (island and addons) its 42 megs packed.

the aces_it is only found on atwar and the PC is on ofp.info. look for "Stg Nathan" its the SGN_newpc.

i stuck it in the orginal enterable house from your art_bd pack on the island. the problem is theres "no odol" format so i had to guess.. and ill be damned if it wasnt the luckiest guess ever smile_o.gif

have fun trying to get a hamburger and fries from mcdonalds with the 18-wheeler without knocking over them poles lol tounge_o.gif

thats why theres a parking area behind it wink_o.gif

ok even if i get the ILS working tonight it might be anotehr day or two before release. cuz teh factory is gonna need to be fenced in. and fencing in a large area peice by peice by peice is not easy nor fun crazy_o.gif

ok i applogise for these pics being at night, im still testing the lighting situation to make sure differnt areas have proper lighting

Factory/Powerplant

i gotta fence that sucker in.. oh boy.

Inhome Computer

now you can drive to best buy, get your new joystick and play OFP:R on your computer smile_o.gif

i know its a lil goofy to have a 1 meg addon file just for that single placment on the island.. but he did great job on this and it was about to be under estimated. so before we forget great work like this. i put it to great use

ok this is the part where i ask for help tounge_o.gif

the good news is i got the ILS postion allows the AI to land on the runway that i wanted it to.

the downside is the "taxiin" and "taxiout" ils postions.. dont do shit. i got 8 for taxiin and 6 for taxi out as per the tutorials and the ai lands, turns around, and goes in the water crazy_o.gif so i need help placing the taxi waypoints for the ILS system

either i'm blind or it's not there (or it could be im half-asleep! wow_o.gif ) because i just can't find either of those things, i've searched atwar, ofp.info...etc. you name it, i've searched for the aces_it and the newpc.

dont worry about it. cuz i figured out the ILS thing and the AI lands.. taxi's and takes off!  biggrin_o.gif

umm there is one tiny problem thou. after the AI lands.. he goes right to the ending waypoint taxi's over the grass, i blame this due to he is slowed down right at that point. but thats ok thou! cuz the AI does not kill themselvs landing or taking off!!!!!!!!!

they take off/land north to south on runway L18 smile_o.gif

i broke the factory so i gotta fix that but release should be soon (like later tonight) after i fix that

Landing

Take-Off

3 posts in a row, im quite the spammer tounge_o.gif

wacky iraqi and USMC started this project many moons ago. i followed the thread and watched the excitment grow. people were lovin the idea and the island.

months later it was released as nothing more then a "beta" it looked nice and i enjoyed what couple missions i made for fun on it. but looked around at the barron land and it felt so empty. an island with so much potential sat there unfinished and soon forgotton.

so i took the project of finishing it upon myself. cuz i liked the island and i wanted to see it finished. wacki iraqi and uscm sniper had a dream. a dream of an island that had a real "big city" feel to it. but the dream stoped at "beta", someone had to finish the realiization of it. it is my belief that this, folks, is thier dream realized.

special thanks to ag smith for fixing the parking garage and the missing lobby.

Changed:

Added the following

-Port

-Airport (ai compatable)

-More skyscrapers downtown

-More houses in the residential area

-Church, hospital, and police station

-Soccor (football) field

-National Gaurd Base

-Factory/Powerplant

-Forest (with randomly placed scraped/trashed cars around it for a more realistic feel)

-Map location names/text

so yea. after almost 3 days ive finished overhauling this island and here you go smile_o.gif

enjoy. and thanks alot fo wacki iraqi and usmc sniper for starting the island project, and tbe buildings they made. thanks to ag smith for his fix to the sky scraper and his addons that i used from both his mods (3wx & ags) and anyone else i forgot

now comes the fun part. enjoying the finished product

Links To Pics of the Final Version

Download Link

Forgot to ask earlier... I know there's a couple of nice buildings in art_bd.pbo (like enterable warehouse, apartment block, etc...) that never made it to the original map and they were not available in mission editor. Oh well... I'm gonna download it now and check it for myself. smile_o.gif

Also thanks to Soul Catcher, who was bugging me about the fixes long enough that I decided to fix them myself. wink_o.gif

well, it looks like about 2 hours are going to be spent downloading this, stupid 56k

So far what pappy has done seems pretty good. A giant city in concept seems cool, however if it barely runs on an average machine how are you supposed to actually play it?

After looking over what you've done so far Pappy. I'm surprised it wasn't a larger project. I'm kinda glad it turned out to be a bit more modestly sized to be honest. I think it has been refined and improved on the general design but without taking it in a completely different direction. Which is just right in my opinion.

I'm assuming the car-park and the large scraper still have yet to be fixed though.

I'm assuming the car-park and the large scraper still have yet to be fixed though.

They ARE already fixed. wink_o.gif

pappy-you said that when the AI lands, they cut across grass, but on mine, they go all the way down the runway, and use the taxiway all the way to the second parking space but stop on the taxiway instead of in the parking space.

Quote[/b] ]They ARE already fixed.

I just noticed that after installing the map and playing it, and I must say. Bloody good show.

oh, its a rather small island, but still quite fun. I like it, good job to all you guys.

pappy-you said that when the AI lands, they cut across grass, but on mine, they go all the way down the runway, and use the taxiway all the way to the second parking space but stop on the taxiway instead of in the parking space.

oh good. must just be that clsa plane (i used the csla l410 that tomislav hacked out for private use cut across the grass.

and yea they stop on the taxiway as per suggested by the ils tutorial. the suggestion went on to say that this way you can park the plane via script if nessacary

Quote[/b] ]So far what pappy has done seems pretty good. A giant city in concept seems cool, however if it barely runs on an average machine how are you supposed to actually play it?

every island released with a "big city" ive tried ive drivin into thier city and my frame rate went from 20 to 5, and i was like "screw this" on top of that most islands with citys really didnt have it right. looked like someone just took the buildings and randomly placed them (like i did with the factory/powerplant). so when i saw the potential of this island i wanted to do it right. i wanted a big city feel on a small island map. and like i siad the highest my frame rate got is 38 on the desert island with just me. i get between 15 and 30 on this island with me and a couple other units. which means that you can make a semi decent mission on here without significant lag. Nogova Island has 100,000 models on it (bushs and houses and roads) this one has 2900.

Quote[/b] ]Forgot to ask earlier... I know there's a couple of nice buildings in art_bd.pbo (like enterable warehouse, apartment block, etc...)

i saw those but i used your warehouses and BIS apartment buildings. but i did use the mcdonalds, best buy, cinema, and motel

Quote[/b] ]oh, its a rather small island, but still quite fun. I like it, good job to all you guys

small island with a big city feel. in size it is small, but the airport and the city and such make it seem much much bigger.

has anybody made any fun missions to play? cause i suck at making missions lol crazy_o.gif

nice job papy! smile_o.gif the island runs great so far , tested with the old mty bell chopper by martin, wish there would be a police version with a police rifle or something like the bas littlebird that had a gunner with a Hk biggrin_o.gif

i'll download some civilian addons and put them into the city to see what happens tounge_o.gif