Sign in to follow this  
Bruce205

Ghost Recon vs OFP

Just purchased OFP after being a little hesitant due to several average reviews I have seen.

Boy am I glad I did as game is really cool (just started though)

I have seen much better reviews for Ghost Recon and wanted to know how people with both games feel ?

Thanks for any honest feedback.

If I had a euro for every one of these threads I'd have enough to whipe my arse with wink.gif

How do I feel about both games?

Well the reviews of GR IMO show beyond any reasonable doubt how corrupt certain games magazines/websites are, GR is (as I've said many times before) utter crap compared to Opf, the only positive thing I could say about GR is that the grass/trees/bushes that move in the wind are rather nice, but then it doesn't cost Å30 to look out my window on a windy day smile.gif

Thanks for that very honest reply Placebo!! Thats what I was looking for. I must agree that OPF is awesome and that great graphics are not the end all be all, its the gameplay and OPF has that in Spades.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Jan. 12 2002,02:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If I had a euro for every one of these threads I'd have enough to whipe my arse with wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Coins are not very good for that purpose. wink.gif

Back to the topic. In my opinion GR is a fun no-brainer shootout and OFP is superb quality gaming.

I have played both games and wish that Ghost Recon could have even come close to OFP. I am greatly disapointed with Recon. Operation flashpoint has good graphics, tremendous choice of weapons vehicles, decent ai, HUGE levels, weather, lots of great updates and much much more. Lemme think what GR has, weather, decent graphics, poor AI, poor choice in weapons, almost no updates (they also have nothing in them), NO DRIVABLE VEHICLES. You've heard my opinion on this game. Plus it hogs a gig of my hard drive.

Too bad GR can't live up to the hype. :/

For me the differences between GR and OFP are far too great to allow the two games to be compared. GR is a squad based action game based upon the Rogue Spear engine. If we want to be truely honest IT IS Rogue Spear with a couple of new pretty little affects.

That's possibly not a bad thing, I played Rogue Spear and Urban Operations for roughly 7 months, it became like a staple food for me. It had some really great weapon mods and a nice enough mod system. The real problem is GR isn't actually as good as Rogue Spear. It feels alot more predictable, less challenging and generally less fun.

To me OFP is the prime example of a fresh, dedicated team that have worked their nuts off to provide a game/sim like none before instead of just re-hashing old code and kicking it out the door as RSE (Red Storm Entertainment, makers of GR) have done time and time again.

I hope that a few of the good moders from the RS community (namely CK, Nishi, Rodion) continue to make Ghost Recon weapon mods and new maps because IMO they made Rogue Spear what I remember it to be, i.e GOOD.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Coins are not very good for that purpose.  wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

LOL I had a feeling that was coming wink.gif

I toyed with the idea of typing "one euro note" but as I don't care for the euro I have no idea what denominations they come in and didn't want to sound as dumb as I usually do wink.gif

EDIT: I agree mostly with what Dave just said, I used to play Rogue Spear a bit, not a huge amount but I did enjoy it, IMO GR doesn't deserve to be uttered in the same breath as RS, it's a clear pile-of-shite-rush-job-rip-off-our-loyal-fans type release, guess they've taken a leaf out of the books of EA and Eidos.........

Gr is just too restrictive compared to OFP... levels are small, no vehicles, weapon selection is pathetic.. even compared to RS.. its not on the same level in any sense.

As someone pointed out on another of these threads somewhere else on here, what use are sniper rifles when because of the engine limitations you can't see beyond 100m or whatever anyways smile.gif

Yes, those sniper rifles are quite useless. GR actually feels like paintball with its bullet spraying guns (don't know what kind of Shakin'-Stevens trained the Ghost Recon soldiers but their grouping must be really bad at the firing range) but it still is fun because I don't have to think much when I play it. Sometimes after a long day at work I just want to reset my brain and blast some bad guys. But OFP is 100 gigazillion times better than GR.

GR is more restrictive than OFP, such as you are running against invisible walls when trying to go up most slopes and therefore have to take the long way around.

I see this from a wider angle of view, as this restrictions help to lead players in MP to the encounter, there are chokepoints because of this, but also enough routes to flank them.

In all GR has greater pace than OFP, although far from being a Rogue Spear, Counterstrike or similar. There are simply more furious and action packed encounters than in OFP, there is nothing like playing with 2 organised teams.

Only drawbacks i can see are the uselessness of sniper rifles, the OICW, random respawn points and camping opponents in key positions.

Besides that a really good game.

I have played GR and OFP for about the same amount of time and I do NOT think GR is a bad game.

There are so many people playing GR that say they hate OFP and the other way around.

I think many of them have just tried the demo or just played for an hour or so and then say its crap…

GR a great tactical shooter…so what if you cant drive Tanks and fly helicopters…GR is not about that.

How many Special Forces guys would jump in a tank anyway? ..a car maybe but not tanks or helicopters.

The multiplayer part of GR is great…playing co-op mission with no respawn on elite level is really fun.

I have played OFP in multiplayer also and maybe the netcode has improved with 1.4 but its NOT as good as in GR…

I hope that BIS will continue to improve the netcode.  

But if I had to pick only one game I would go for OFP because GR is way to short and I do really like the freedom in OFP(No invisible walls)…but I think they are both great games!

GR is just basically crap. The AI sucks the game is to short and tons of other things I can't be bothered to type about. The game is far to linear for my liking as well.

GR's netcode is basically as old as R6's and has always been pretty good IMO, provided your ping to the server is good. OFP's netcode has to handle alot more units/vehicles etc than GR's therefore it's clear why OFP can appear at times to be "laggy".

Having said that I have seen some pretty horrific lag in GR games AND on several occasions a 10-15 second pause in which the whole game locks up. I dont really have any sort of a problem with OFP's netcode anymore, multi-crewing vehicles is prefect in MP now, I dont get lagged out after firing off 800 rounds of shilka ammo unlike in previous versions where for the rest of the game I would be trying to get out the vehicle. Getting in and out of vehicles in general has much improved, but once again we cant really compare the game on this point because GR has no useable vehicles smile.gif

GR will be dead in 3-4 months, I can say that with assurance after playing around with it's retarded mod system which is actually a step BACK from Rogue spears. Other than that it would seem RSE doesn't want to hear about mods smile.gif I guess they dont want anything to knock their "mission pack" off course.

They are different... both have their strenghts and weaknesses.... Tribes2 is on a higher level than both of them, that is such a great game... the gameplay oh the gameplay.

I prefer OFP because of a few reasons;

In GR you dont ahve the diversity of OFP (cant get in vehicles and stuff)

In GR the US Soldiers look like they are overweight even with that much gear on it still doesnt look right, legs look to thick.

OFP the soldiers look the realist I have seen, and the ability to add custom faces is a plus

I played GR demo, but something lacks in it....I play it once in awhile when I want some fun...but when I go for serious fun, it's always OFP.

GR AI's are really funny cuz when they are fired upon, they run, and never bother to shoot back. Even when I see enemy closing in, AI's seems to be deciding whether they are better of shooting or watch as their enemy shows off his fat belly for my target practice.

Why do people keep compairing the two??

I have never seen Op Flash compared to Ghost "Recrap" in any reviews.... you know why?  because they are 2  totally different games....

I'm sick and tired of seeing this brought up...... mad.gif

"If I had a euro for every one of these threads I'd have enough to whipe my arse with "

lol,  man ... placebo you must have a huge ass..

tounge.gif

Cpt Gamer FtK, I agree...you should not compare the two....but if you have not seen any GR reviews that does not mention OFP you cant have read many smile.gif

BlackFeather...eh what are you talking about?...the soldier models in GR looks great!... thats one thing GR has over OFP.

One more thing...please dont say the game is crap if you only played the demo...

RgR that S_Z biggrin.gif

admittedly I did only play the demo.....

I think they put Ghost Re.. in there on the reviews because of the difficulty in finding a suitable game to compare OpFlsh to..

To each his own I say wink.gif

Did'nt mean to be insulting with the crappy remark I was just funnin wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (S_Z @ Jan. 12 2002,12:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">One more thing...please dont say the game is crap if you only played the demo...<span id='postcolor'>

I've played the full game through to the end so I stick to my assessment smile.gif

I agree with both Cpt Gamer FtK and s_v in that both Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis and Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon are fun, but different, games.  Each has a few strengths over the other, but each is also different enough from the other (both in purpose and in execution) to be fun in its own way.

I bought both a little while ago and have not regretted that decision in the least!   smile.gif

-G

GR - You'll feel better off with a bunch of 5th graders than the AI portrayed in this game or that is to say they act like fools. They should at least know what your talking about when you say "hold" and "advance". When I say "hold" that's EXACTLY what I want them to do STAY PUT and don't move for a freaking thing NO MATTER WHAT! You get the point *whipes sweat off eyebrow*. I don't know who the target audience was but somebody high up on the totem pole must have walked out of Alladin or something before they went to work that day.

If OFP had that kind of AI it would have been slammed. Why I haven't seen this backlash for that game (GR)often enough is puzzling.

In all honestly there is almost nothing that I like about GR.

OFP is a great game out of the box. It shares the same faults that all games do that are released too early. But you won't hear me complaining. I got the game out of state to get to play it early and it was worth it to me. Now the only thing that bothers me is that I can not stop thinking how great it would be not to have those problems (including the one that there's is no dev tools). Woe is me.

Most team AI problem in GR will hopefully get fixed with the new patch coming out soon. I’m looking forward to it.

Read about the patch on ghostrecon.com...