Sign in to follow this  
Chan

The lines between crosshairs/realism

Comment on why you use the crosshairs or not... have fun! smile.gif

I use them because optics zoom in too much in close combat. On long ranges I always use optics.

I don't play with crosshair in any game that provides ironsight aiming. I want total realism smile.gif

I'm not sure playing without crosshair adds something to realism. since your computer creen is still 2d, it's hard to see where your gun is pointing at. While actually holding a gun, you have at least the slightest idea where it's aiming at.

Exactly.

2d view representing a 3d enviroment. I want realism, but you CANT get TOTAL realism on a monitor.

So they give us "aids" to help us to compensate for the real life senses we don't have IN GAME.

Personally NOT using crossairs on a game with today's technology would be HARDER than real life.

The thing is, you shouldn't fire withouth aiming. That's why I use the iron sight, and turn the crosshair off, when I have the opportunity to do so.

Personally I agree with Snake. Aim before fire.

But I use the crosshair, but that's just so I can tell when the screen is going to pan left/right and up/down (because of the center deadzone). I never use it for aiming purposes, that's why you got the ironsight for. smile.gif

I use crosshairs, but only for shooting at close range: at any reasonable range I'll be using the iron sights instead, because they're far more accurate. Ideally OFP would have an Infiltration-like weapon model with the sights built in so that we could eliminate the crosshairs altogether, but while we have the bitmap sights it's hard to use them at close range.

I liked the way H&D1 is (not the expansion pack). Using the actual sights on the 3d-model. Very reallistic, thou it looks kinda corny to have the weapon right infront of your face all the time.

Crosshairs are unprecise anyway, so it doesn't matter so much.

Make a test, the M16 or AK74 will hit below and to the left, when using crosshairs.

Ofcourse, if you compensate for this when aiming, it can be quite useful at medium/close range.

I hit a running rabbit while running and shooting from the hip with my AR15 last weekend so yes you CAN hit things without stopping and aiming.  its harder and takes some luck but in some situations it all ya have..

allowing the aiming 'aid' does nothing to reduce realism in the game.. because in real life you have a FEEL for where the weapon is pointing, try it yourself.. take a BB gun and aim from the hip at a coke can about 20-30 feet away, with a little practice you can get to where you can hit it pretty regulary.. even while moving...

like said above in OFP there is no FEEL for your weapon, only visual representation.. so as far as being realistic having the aiming aid  is actually more realistic because it gives you the realistic 'shoot on the fly' capability that you would have in real life..

besides.. look at real life if you were jogging through the woods and the enemy popped out 40 feet in front of you would you come to a complete stop, carefully aim and then fire.. no you wouldent because you would be dead before you could do half of it...  you would fire an ESTIMATED round or 2 and then hit the dirt and THEN aim and fire..

I use the crosshairs for CQB, iron sights for longer engagments. The FOV with the iron sights is too restricted for walking and firing in CQB.

If you want a good game with a ton of realism that includes the use of the iron sights in the 3d model of weapons you should try the inflitration mod for unreal tournament. Your secondary fire move the gun from your hip to your shoulder and you look down the barrel of the model and use the sights on the model.

COLINMAN

Most time I used the crosshair, but for a while I'm plazing without it, because I want it as realistic as possible. Until yet I had no problems...

"you would fire an ESTIMATED round or 2 and then hit the dirt and THEN aim and fire.."

Yes Wobble, we call that a double-tap. This is done in the field only. If you were in the middle of a street, that would be the last thing you would want to do. The problem is: in the field there is mostly tall grass. So when you hit the dirt, you can't see shit. There should be some patches of tall grass in OFP.

I think there should have been a third option. I leave mine on but rarely use it. As others have said, it does not take away from the realism of the game.

Tyler

P.S. how the hell do I quote people properly?

I really hate to break this to you guys... but... the so called "cross hairs" arent really cross hairs. they are more of upside down L's, cross hairs on the other hand usualy from 4 right angles(occasion with a break in the lines in the middle to allow better viewing). These my friends are "virtual sights". refer to them as that now.. or else! lol

Bah! Another pathetic excuse for playing the game in baby mode! biggrin.gif

Try walking and aiming (iron sights of course) when clearing out a place, one of the most exciting parts of OFP. When you think they´re all dead, Ka-powshh...

Hidden

I don't care very much about realism, I think the game is realistic enough. I'm just used to crosshairs smile.gif

itan200

Turning off the crosshair after playing with it for many months, and finding it hard is natural. I did it halfway through Red Hammer. I turned off crosshair and 3rd person view, and of course it was hard at first. People here have said they can't get a feel for where the gun is aimed becasue the monitor is in 2D. This is only because they didn't take the time to get used to it. Do you think you can aim from the hip IRL without any practise, just because there you have real 3D? No, it takes time to get a feel for it. At first when I needed to aim accurately and turned on the iron sights, it would disorient me, because the sights would point at the sky or the ground, but not any more.

Think about it, when you first pitched a grenade, with or without crosshairs, you had no feel for where they'd go. Now, you invariably hit the target dead on. wow.gif Takes time, but I'd say it's worth it.

Konyak

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wobble @ Jan. 11 2002,20:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I hit a running rabbit while running and shooting from the hip with my AR15 last weekend<span id='postcolor'>

You beast! I hate you! I hate you! I hate you! I hate you! I hate you! I hate you! I hate you! I hate you!

/breaks down and cries sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

i never use cross hair in ofp, i use iron sight.

cross hair is for CS or RTCW. tounge.gif