Sign in to follow this  
cozza

OFP2 interview

Remember the COD Bugs Bunny flic that was linked to here soon after COD was released? LOL! tounge_o.gif

Yes, lets all bunny hop thru the frontline with a fully loaded bag on yer back! crazy_o.gif

Glad to see some news of OFP2 trickle out. Thanks biggrin_o.gif

I agree with the jumping issue. The only thing a soldier should be able to do is jump down from something and climb up. I guarantee there is no way a soldier will be jumping on the battle field with all the equipment they carry. They may jump up once but that would be it. Jumping like a pogo stick to dodge hits is pure junk.

Would be nice to be able to jump over a wall that only goes up to your knees, rather then needing to run around to the entrance.

Quote[/b] ]Incredible: Many games these days are released for consoles (XBox, PS, etc) first and then for PC. Will that be the case with OFP2?

Marek Spanel: No, it will be PC game at first place.

To me this is an important issue. Gaming franchises are being ruined in my opinion by giving primary consideration to console playing audiences (which are, let's face it, not as sophisticated). Nice to see that BIS will continue to support their PC audience. It means a lot to someone such as myself.

I recall back in the days when I used to play Daggerfall how I used to anticipate morrowind coming out, and then Zenimax pretty much bent Bethesda over a table and turned the elder scrolls into one of the biggest piles of sellout garbage I've ever seen. It was so obviously made for an Xbox it's enough to make me cringe.

I have such little interest in games anymore as it stands. I think I'd not bother with PC games period if OFP development went that route.

I think that they should include climbing rather than jumping. It would be nice to climb through a windor or on a wall. Jumping through a window or jumping on a wall would be funny though.

As i read the posts, i cant help but wonder if most guys here have ever served in the military or if they had served, if they have forgotten or choose to be selective in their memory of their service.

Soldiers are supposed to be physically fit and able to do everything that an athlete can and even more for war is not about competition but infliction of physical and mental might onto the enemies. Those who pass various physical tests would be selected for special soldiers vocations such as rangers, deltas, spetnaz, etc. Those who are average will be send to infantry units or support arms and those who are borderline cases or lower will be sent to rear echelon duties.

Soldiers are expected to run fast, jump high, leap far, use his bare hands and legs to fight when run out of ammo or in very close quarters or when silence is required, with or without equipment. The battlefield is merciless to those that falters. Anyone who is not physically or mentally fit will only drag down his fellow teammates. In most instances when a soldier carries his pack is only during marching to the location. Once there, all packs are off, for commanders are not fools and knows that soldiers will not be able to perform well with additional weight while conducting the critical phase execution of the mission. At most the soldier will only carry an additional 3kg - rifle, 9mags, grenades, special equipment. If he cant or thinks he cant even run or jump or leap with that weight, he better be sent packing to perform rear echelon duties!

The only time he will run or jump or leap with his pack is when he withdraws or escape from the enemies and even then, the pack is optional for the human body holds more intelligence under influence of drugs than a pack of equipment when captured. In the rush when faced with physical obstacles, i am sure they are not gonna whine about weights they carry cos its either whine, get captured, shot or freedom.

Those who ask for the jump or leap feature are not asking for supermen or thunderbolt martial art shooting soldiers, just a reflection of real soldiers and capabilities. Those who counter them SEEMS to be a couple of rear echelon armchair warrior dreamers - just walk your way, take your time, to mission success..( hehe..no offense intended  tounge_o.gif )

As i read the posts, i cant help but wonder if most guys here have ever served in the military or if they had served, if they have forgotten or choose to be selective in their memory of their service.

Soldiers are supposed to be physically fit and able to do everything that an athlete can and even more for war is not about competition but infliction of physical and mental might onto the enemies. Those who pass various physical tests would be selected for special soldiers vocations such as rangers, deltas, spetnaz, etc. Those who are average will be send to infantry units or support arms and those who are borderline cases or lower will be sent to rear echelon duties.

Soldiers are expected to run fast, jump high, leap far with or without equipment. The battlefield is merciless to those that falters. Anyone who is not physically or mentally fit will only drag down his fellow teammates. In most instances when a soldier carries his pack is only during marching to the location. Once there, all packs are off, for commanders are not fools and knows that soldiers will not be able to perform well with additional weight while conducting the critical phase execution of the mission. At most the soldier will only carry an additional 3kg - rifle, 9mags, grenades, special equipment. If he cant or thinks he cant even run or jump or leap with that weight, he better be sent packing to perform rear echelon duties!

The only time he will run or jump or leap with his pack is when he withdraws or escape from the enemies and even then, the pack is optional for the human body holds more intelligence under influence of drugs than a pack of equipment when captured. In the rush when faced with physical obstacles, i am sure they are not gonna whine about weights they carry cos its either whine, get captured, shot or freedom.

Those who ask for the jump or leap feature are not asking for supermen or thunderbolt martial art shooting soldiers, just a reflection of real soldiers and capabilities. Those who counter them SEEMS to be a couple of rear echelon armchair warrior dreamers - just walk your way, take your time, to mission success..( hehe..no offense intended  tounge_o.gif )

Good points. smile_o.gif

I for one would enjoy a realistic 'jumping' model, where factors such as weight and fatigue are taken into account.

We already experience 'virtual fatigue' following a lengthened sprint. Why not have the same effect following a jump?

Perhaps commands such as 'drop packs' could be integrated as well, which alters the physical abilities of a soldier, much like how handling a heavy weapon slows a soldier down in game.

The possibilities are endless, and surely not too hard to implement. Most of the groundwork is already there. wink_o.gif

Make it so that soldiers CAN'T run all the time, breathing heavily. Somewhere there must be a limit!

In a normal situation, I think not every soldier is a top-trained commando performing extreme athletics. Usually, I think, they are regular guys put in a very unregular situation. Sometimes, it is a requirement to jump briefly over trenches or maybe shelling holes etc.. I wouldn't consider it as jumping either; it's more like leaping or so?

[...] and turned the elder scrolls into one of the biggest piles of sellout garbage I've ever seen. It was so obviously made for an Xbox it's enough to make me cringe.

...well I guess you never played Pirates of the Carribean (also Bethesda, aka the much awaited Sea Dogs 2) then? Good graphics, good setting -absolutely unplayable because of the XBox like interface.

Good to see BIS not hopping on that train

Those who ask for the jump or leap feature are not asking for supermen or thunderbolt martial art shooting soldiers, just a reflection of real soldiers and capabilities. Those who counter them SEEMS to be a couple of rear echelon armchair warrior dreamers - just walk your way, take your time, to mission success..

people who disagree with the need for jumping want the same thing as you do: realism. the problem that these people see with jumping is that there is almost no need for it in ofp, as most the the time you are in wide open spaces, not in urban areas with debris on the group to hop over, like you find in cs. to them, it is clear that there is no need for jumping, as there are almost no situations a player could be in in which they would need to jump over something.

the other problem that these people see is that in real life, people jump differently depending on what they are jumping over, or across; if they're going over a knee high wall, they just throw one leg over at a time; if they're leaping across a trench, they leap full speed, spreading their legs as much as possible to reach for the other side. unfortunately, though, the game developers can't/don't make animations for all the different ways a person can jump; instead they come up with 1 animation. the reason some people think that is bad in ofp is that it looks wrong when a person is trying to get over a knee-high wall and leaps over instead of just throwing one leg over at a time, and it looks wrong when a person is trying to get over a trench and they pick up their legs into their chest, when there is nothing they need to jump over. in short, the people who oppose jumping oppose it because they think the implementation will be unrealistic, not the concept. if you think jumping is a good idea, go play america's army for a while; you'll see that it is used far more frequently in unrealistic ways than in realistic ways (ie people jump when they're being shot at, they bunny hop at spawn when the game begins), and even when they are used in realistic ways, it looks unrealistic.

climbing is the same way; it would be realistic if it were implemented properly, but with today's games it just isn't possible to make something that would look halfway decent. combined with the fact that the player never really needs to climb, it is clear to see that the ability to climb is not something the game developers should work on.

i definitely agree with this though:

Quote[/b] ]As quite honestly the OFP community can make as many weapons and M4s as they like, we don't want to waste BIS's time with such requests. We want them to focus on making a very complex, powerful and unrivalled game engine.

and on an unrelated point, i would ask BIS if they were going to do something about the AI's reaction times; i don't mind being killed from 200-300m away, but if i do it should be because the AI was laying down and took some time before taking the shot. in ofp now, i have been in situations where i was lying down shooting at a guy running across a hill-face from about 200m away, only to have him stop--turn towards me--fire one burst--and kill me. from 50m, maybe; from 200m, theres no way in hell. the annoying thing is that the AI does this consistently; they will consistently turn towards you, or run and hit the dirt facing you, or whatever, only to pop off one 3-round burst that kills you. i think BIS should introduce some kind of semi-HD (high dispersion) effects in AI when they are doing certain actions. the problem with this, im guessing, will be the extra CPU power required to do these checks whenever some ai guy shoots. so, maybe they could let the player select whether they wanted to play with AI HD, and if so, whether they wanted the AI to always have HD (like in BAS), or only have HD when they are running/turning/moving (like what i wanted).

i think a realistic jumping at ofp 2 would be fine.

but it must be limited because it must be unable to shoot while jumping and the endurance should be play a role. once i was playing bf vietnam i was laughing from the beginning to the end. i had a sniperrifle and was jumping like a kangoroo and tried always to shoot with the scope. it was so easy to make headshots while jumping. this is one reason that i never played it again. somthing like this sucks.

i hope bis found a realistic ballance for it, then i do agree

Quote[/b] ][DsO] BuRNeR Posted on Oct. 31 2004,20:09

i think a realistic jumping at ofp 2 would be fine.

but it must be limited because it must be unable to shoot while jumping and the endurance should be play a role. once i was playing bf vietnam i was laughing from the beginning to the end. i had a sniperrifle and was jumping like a kangoroo and tried always to shoot with the scope. it was so easy to make headshots while jumping. this is one reason that i never played it again. somthing like this sucks.

i hope bis found a realistic ballance for it, then i do agree

what did u expect from BF..lol

anyways.. who says u shouldnt be able to shoot when u jump...

just make it so that when the player does jump and shoot, his ret-sight flares-moves and makes his weapon extreamly inaccurate.

as far as never needing to jump in OFP.. HA!  how many times hav i been killed running along a street with fences to my left and right with nowhere to go.. how i would love to just throw my self over one of thoes fences.