Sign in to follow this  
theavonlady

MAAM: Mutually Accepted Ammo & Magazines addon

Quote[/b] ]

So does it change the visual smoke effect as seen by players?

No.

Email it to me and I'll incorporate it into the next version - unless I start getting a barrage of objections.

AL, check your PM...

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

The maam_smokeblock.p3d file is located in the OFP\Amore\MAAM\Scripts folder. Therefore MAAM does not need to be reconfigured if you want to replace this file.

KeyKat, would you like me to make a copy of your rendition of the P3D file pubicly available for everyone who's interested?

Quote[/b] ]

KeyKat, would you like me to make a copy of your rendition of the P3D file pubicly available for everyone who's interested?

If thats OK with the BAS guys then it's fine with me smile_o.gif

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

If thats OK with the BAS guys then it's fine with me

Anything and everything in MAAM is modifiable, with BAS' permission. Hopefully, however, people will only produce modifications for MAAM's external files, just as you have now. ;)

Here's your file:

KeyCat's modified smokeblock.p3d file

Read the ReadMe:

Quote[/b] ]**********************************************

MAAM: Mutually Accepted Ammo & Magazines addon

Modified smokeblock.P3D file, by KeyCat

Copyright © 2004 The Avon Lady, all rights reserved. So there!

A customized version of Ballistic Addon Studio's (BAS)

Joint Ammo and Magazines (JAM) addon.

MAAM's first version was produced by The Avon Lady, of The OFP FAQ.

The OFP FAQ: http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq

Email: theavonlady@theavonlady.org

---------------------------------------------------

The enclosed file is an optional replacement for the MAAM supplied

maam_smokeblock.p3d file, located in OFP folder \Amore\MAAM\Scripts.

The smokeblock.p3d file limits the ability of AI soldier units to

see through MAAM smoke grenades. The original version of this file

is considered to have too little effect on AI soldier units. The enclosed

modified version of the smokeblock.p3d file increases the blocking effect

to AI soldier units' line of site.

To install, simply extract the enclosed maam_smokeblock.p3d file into

OFP folder \Amore\MAAM\Scripts. You might first want to make a backup

copy of the original file just in case you decide to revert to it in

the future.

With thanks to OFP player KeyCat for supplying the modified file.

Quote[/b] ]

ECP compatibility

This one is dead easy and completely transparent to non-ECP users. Either go grab the ECP-compatible JAM2 on OFPEC or just use the one I made: MAAM config (ECP compatible)

Thanks! smile_o.gif Can you summarize what had to be changed to achieve this? Once I understand everything done, I'll put out an updated version of the MAAM_Magazines.pbo file. wink_o.gif

The changes were quite simple:

<ul>[1] Declare class ECP_EventHandlers just above CfgVehicles

[2] Slight change to the units' EventHandler definitions.

1. Declare an emtpy class ECP_EventHandlers just before CfgVehicles:

Quote[/b] ]

.... class CfgWeapons stuff here

};

<span style='color:darkblue'>class ECP_EventHandlers {};</span>

class CfgVehicles

{

class All {};

class Static: All {};

class Building: Static {};

class MAAM_SmokeBlock: Building

{

2. Change of the EventHandlers defintions

Example: class MAAM_WBSoldierBase

<span style='color:darkred'>Before</span>

Quote[/b] ]

class MAAM_WBSoldierbase: SoldierWB

{

scope=0;

side=TWest;

displayName="Soldier";

vehicleClass="MAAM - Men";

class EventHandlers

{

fired = "if((_this select 1 in[{Throw},{MAAM_AT4Launcher},{MAAM_RPG7Launcher},{MAAM_M72LAWLauncher}])or(_this select 4 in[{MAAM_MarkerGrenadeammo}]))then{_this exec{\Amore\MAAM\Scripts\firedEH.sqs}}";

};

};

<span style='color:green'>After</span>

The new parts are in <span style='color:green'>green boldface</span>:

Quote[/b] ]class MAAM_WBSoldierbase: SoldierWB

{

scope=0;

side=TWest;

displayName="Soldier";

vehicleClass="MAAM - Men";

class EventHandlers<span style='color:green'>: ECP_EventHandlers</span>

{

fired = "<span style='color:green'>_this call ECP_EH_handler_fired;</span>if((_this select 1 in[{Throw},{MAAM_AT4Launcher},{MAAM_RPG7Launcher},{MAAM_M72LAWLauncher}])or(_this select 4 in[{MAAM_MarkerGrenadeammo}]))then{_this exec{\Amore\MAAM\Scripts\firedEH.sqs}}";

};

};

There are quite a few places where the latter part has to be done. Feel free to use the one I linked to, the only changes are the ones I described here. Well, technically, I sorted out some indentation crimes too...

is this thing compatible with jam? ie can i use it inplace of jam in the case where i need jam to use a new addon?

What is amore? and why is it required?

EDIT* SO let me get this straight...

I can install this and get rid of JAM....

THen I can customize it anyway I like with different weapon types? or just sounds? or all of the above?

and if I download a mission by someone else that uses this also, I can run it using whatever weapons ive customized mine to even if the creator had his customized differently???

My advice to the people who are going to be working on MAAM...distance yourself from JAM2 as much as you can smile_o.gif There is too much discrimination against BAS"s involvement in JAM 2 which hindered the design and implementation of the project.

Feel free to use JAM 2 as a reference but don't make the same mistakes we did. Namely, trying to cater to everyone and ending up not pleasing anyone.

For those that didn't like JAM 2, here is your chance to fix the things you didn't like. This project should be about community input, which means not only offering opinions (as we know, everyone has one ;)) but taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture and doing the work required.

SelectThis

i assume RHS would join maam if we get   f a i r   values for east weapons (only my opinion). we were willing to join jam (we did it afaik), but jam ppl did not want to balance the weapons.

Not gonna jump in too deep here, as ST has allready pointed out, there has been a lot of discrimination towards BAS' involvement with JAM.

In this particular case, RHS was indeed invited to join the JAM development, infact Soul Assassin even joined the digital grenade forums (where it was discussed at length) in order for RHS to have input on the project. After he joined however, no input was given (even after I sent various RHS members betas, asked for feedback, etc) so we either had to continue developing it without input from RHS, or still be waiting, possibly to this day, for their input.

As far as I can see this is (and will be) no different from JAM, it will retain JAM's "issues" and problems, since the core configuration file its self has not yet been changed, and even if it is changed, people will still HAVE to have the same version if they wish to play MP.

Quote[/b] ]

ECP compatibility

This one is dead easy and completely transparent to non-ECP users. Either go grab the ECP-compatible JAM2 on OFPEC or just use the one I made: MAAM config (ECP compatible)

Thanks! smile_o.gif Can you summarize what had to be changed to achieve this? Once I understand everything done, I'll put out an updated version of the MAAM_Magazines.pbo file. wink_o.gif

The changes were quite simple:

<ul>[1] Declare class ECP_EventHandlers just above CfgVehicles

[2] Slight change to the units' EventHandler definitions.

Done! MAAM Version 1.1, with Killswitch's ECP compatibility code, is out. See this thread's 1st post for the download link.

Only the MAAM_Magazines.pbo addon file has been modified.

No changes were made to any of MAAM's external files for this update. smile_o.gif

is this thing compatible with jam? ie can i use it inplace of jam in the case where i need jam to use a new addon?

It is a replacement for JAM. If you have an addon that currently references anything in JAM, you'll need to change those references from JAM to MAAM.

For example, if you have a mission or an addon that references, say, JAM_WOfficer (west officer with JAM weapons and magazines), you would simply need to use a standard text edit to change JAM_WOfficer to MAAM_WOfficer.

MAAM is an open source copy of JAM, with the tags changed from JAM to MAAM, as demanded by JAM's creators, BAS.

What is amore? and why is it required?

Again, I refer you to the AMORE section at The FAQ. Click on AMORE in The FAQ's left-hand menu and start reading. In short, AMORE is nothing more than a repository folder. Its purpose is to store reusable OFP files, such as audio, picture and script files.

One of the differences between MAAM and JAM is that MAAM places all of its script and audio files and some of its picture files in AMORE. That way:

1) The MAAM addon only consists of one addon PBO instead of JAM's 2.

2) If changes are made to MAAM's configuration, you only need to download the addon file. All of the external sound, script and pic files are already in place in the AMORE Repository folder the first time you installed MAAM.

3) Should there be an need to add or change one of MAAM's external files, only the new or modified file needs to be downloaded and placed into the AMORE Repository folder.

Quote[/b] ]EDIT* SO let me get this straight...

I can install this and get rid of JAM....

Slow down. That is the eventual goal - to replace JAM. Currently, however, there are addons that require JAM. I will be seeking permission to release the same addons with MAAM compatibility instead. This is a lot of work.

Quote[/b] ]THen I can customize it anyway I like with different weapon types? or just sounds? or all of the above?

MAAM's goal is to introduce new ammo and magazine types that were not incorporated into JAM and to modify existing configuration definitions should the player, mission and addon maker community require it.

However, with MAAM right now, if someone wants to produce a better ammo soundpack, this can be readily installed in MAAM, simply replacing the existing external sound files with new ones, with no need to modify MAAM's configuration.

[qupte]and if I download a mission by someone else that uses this also, I can run it using whatever weapons ive customized mine to even if the creator had his customized differently???

No, not exactly. MAAM is JAM but open to future "mutually accepted" changes and to on-the-fly modifcations of the files that have been made external of the configuration PBO (i.e., the sound, mag pics and script files).

Get it? smile_o.gif

good idea

just one thing, try to use some mathematical formula to caculate ofp values based on real ones

direct hit:

((power kj)^0.25)*8

indirect hit:

((power j)^0.5)/25

indirect hit range:

((power j)^0.5)/500

useful page

and Discalc from dkm to caculate dispersion

wink_o.gif

Your post almost got lost in the sauce. smile_o.gif

Please give me examples, in layman's terms, what you would like to see changed and what impact it would have on gameplay.

Also, I would like others with weapons expertise to contribute their comments on this matter.

TIA! smile_o.gif

As far as I can see this is (and will be) no different from JAM, it will retain JAM's "issues" and problems, since the core configuration file its self has not yet been changed, and even if it is changed, people will still HAVE to have the same version if they wish to play MP.

Thanks, DM and ST, for your input.

I do not expect MAAM to be revolutionary in its concept, considering that it was JAM that brought these abilities to the community.

But it does provide the opportunity to maximize changes, add new defintions when required and to allow for customization of what are now the addon's external files.

Avon please try to keep the number of individual replies to a minimum, I can appreciate you're trying to make your responses clear but it wasn't necessary for all of them to be seperate posts smile_o.gif

Wham, Bam, Thank You for the MAAM, Ma'am!  hehehe

I have some real-life sounds I could add to this pack.

And while we are at it...

OFP v1.00's M16 gunshot sound IS a real M16A1 gunshot sound.  (I know, because I'm the one that ripped it.)

OFP:R's default M16 gunshot sound is ALSO a real M16 gunshot sound.

(The M60, M14 (sniper version), and AK47 are also real, authentic sounds recorded from the same weapons. Wouldn't there be less system lag if the default sounds were used when they were acceptable. Personally, though, I agree that the M60 sound could be improved.) 

The first M16 sound is heard more from an external view and the second is more near the action (as you can hear the bolt hitting the recoil buffer).

The BAS gunshot sound for the M16 doesn't sound anything like any M16 I've ever heard (I told them this but they didn't seem to care), and I've heard plenty of them, having gone through the phasing out of the M16A1 and the phasing in of the M16A2.

If you want to hear what both the M16 and the AK47 REALLY sound like, watch Clint Eastwood's "Heartbreak Ridge".  Listen to the M16's when they are firing them on the range.  Listen to the AK47 when it is being fired at them on the mock battlefield.

Anyway, I've got a silenced Uzi sound (not as quiet as the MP5SD), a regular Uzi sound (probably with too much reverb, as it is being fired indoors...but then, when else would you be firing it, except in CQB?), a real-life LAW reloading sound, and a ripped SAW sound from "Proof of Life".  (You gotta see the SAW at work in that movie.)

Avon please try to keep the number of individual replies to a minimum, I can appreciate you're trying to make your responses clear but it wasn't necessary for all of them to be seperate posts smile_o.gif

so what your saying is that avon is posting spam, in a topic about maam to replace jam that is a damn sham and that she should cut back on the flim flam.

oh and would you like green eggs and ham Mr placebo i am?  biggrin_o.gif

ok so im not spamin. i should state that the America's Army M16, M24, M82 and M249 sounds are pretty good too, i dont like thier AK sounds however. INQ used their M16 sound and ive since modified it for full auto (for the vietnam era PTF crew) so you can go ahead adn depbo the PTF_Crew.pbo and use the M16 sounds from there  smile_o.gif

edit: oh and i got a real good M2 50 cal sound if you want too smile_o.gif

i thought the law couldnt be reloaded and was a throw away weapon?

i thought the law couldnt be reloaded and was a throw away weapon?

Search The FAQ for "law".

BIS' LAW is environment-friendly. smile_o.gif

no i just meant in real life how could he have a reload sound if you cant reload it rock.gif

i know the one in ofp is a reloader becasue of game play

no i just meant in real life how could he have a reload sound if you cant reload it rock.gif

As The FAQ's item on realoading LAWs says, I've been told is is possible, though it's never the norm.

ah ok i didnt think it was possible at all smile_o.gif i understand now

good luck with the prohect anyway

As The FAQ's item on realoading LAWs says, I've been told is is possible, though it's never the norm.

I knew a guy who was in the Army back in the early 80s...he was first a Dragon AT guy and then later on an armorer. The LAW is a throw-away weapon but it *is* possible - although pretty difficult - to reload one. He made it sound like it's not something you'd do in the field, and I'm not really sure why you'd want to anyway.

What do people think about using PUKF's script to drop expended LAWs? I think it's a neat feature but then again it might screw with gameplay too much....other thoughts?