Sign in to follow this  
ade_mcc

Top 100 games PCGamer Sept 04

Baron: CoD is an excellent game. Fantastic SP and the MP does more than its job.

Armstrong:

CoD is a terrible game. Heavily scripted, repetitive, terrible AI, cliched and simplistic. Terrible SP and multiplayer is worse.

KOTOR was okay, but it wasn't my top favorite. i think it could have used a few more months of polishing. one thing i didn't like, it was too short. even Star Wars Jedi Academy was longer. and some of the quests weren't really all that interesting paticulary the main quest were you had to find the star maps on each planet. than there were those moments were you were in the turret on your ship. it was okay maybe at first, but having to keep doing this really just slowed down the game play. Basicly KOTOR felt way to much like Neverwinter Nights and a lot less like Star Wars. but the good news is that there is a sequal thats under developement under a new team Obsidian, Star Wars The Sith Lords. hopefully, it'll have what im looking for.

Try playing CoD, Deus ex and GTA3 through more than 2 times and you will see why I consider the two latter superior. wink_o.gif

Baron: CoD is an excellent game. Fantastic SP and the MP does more than its job.

cliched and simplistic.  

And you say that GTA is hard and not cliched???

OMG i just fell off my chair laughing.

GTA has some of the worst stereotyping ever, and i really liked the game.

GTA, and GTA 3 and VC, all have some extremely original parts; far more than CoD. The stereotyping is called 'tongue in cheek humour' - sorry if it went over your head.

If you seriously think CoD isn't far more cliched than GTA (one of the most original games of all time) - there is something wrong with you.

There's that unpleasant personality of yours sneaking out again Baron, please refrain smile_o.gif

Okay, for someone who hasnt played GTA yet. Is it still worth to try it out or are the graphics a bit out of date by now? The idea of it is great, strange I never tried it  rock.gif .

COD is realistic is some parts. Russian soldiers crossing the volga in the transport boats. Soldiers jumping into the water were shot immediately, Dive bombers took out many of the ships. However during the final assault much of the river was already frozen.

The battle in the tunnels beneath stalingrad is 100% correct, in many cases those were the real supply lines for food and communication.

And, probably the most realistic part is that the russians were indeed send into battle with just five bullets and no rifle. The were asked to take one of a dead instead.

That doesnt make it OFP but it steals nice little features of the movies "winterwar", "stalingrad", "Bridge too far" and "enemy at gates"

The original GTA? It's free! Rockstars released a new version of GTA1 suitable for Win XP  smile_o.gif I have it. I even think you can play multiplayer on that. Not sure how it works though (it was several years since i played the original version) So if anyone is interested in some MP action contact me.

Just wondering...what did PC Gamer UK gave OFP? Becuase PC Gamer US gave OFP like a 70% and Resistance 78%. While adoring Ghost Recon a game of the year. crazy_o.gif

How did HALO make it? That game blows

Getting a group of friends together and shooting the crap out of each other in HALO is actually much more fun than it may seem.

How did HALO make it? That game blows

Getting a group of friends together and shooting the crap out of each other in HALO is actually much more fun than it may seem.

Thats fun in pretty much any game though, no matter how much it actually sucks; its fun because of your mates, not the game.

GTA, and GTA 3 and VC, all have some extremely original parts; far more than CoD.  The stereotyping is called 'tongue in cheek humour' - sorry if it went over your head.

If you seriously think CoD isn't far more cliched than GTA (one of the most original games of all time) - there is something wrong with you.

Tongue in cheek or not its still extremely stereotypical and i resent your comment about it being "Over my head" you do not know me and cant make that type of assumption. This is not the first time (see music thread) you have acted toward me in this way. So, i must ask.

What is your problem with me and why do you act so rudely towards me?

You can disgaree with me that i think KOTOR and COD are better than GTA, maybe its just a personal preference, (i could say the same about your preferences but i wont) without having to resort to such immature behaviour.

Remember the Goldeneye craze? wink_o.gif

Its the same with Halo.

it's funny because to this day i still show off OFP to friends, even after they've played Doom3 and whatnot, and they are continually impressed. I swear BIS owes me i've sold so many copies  tounge_o.gif

how have your friends managed to play Doom3 when its not out yet... well, im still waiting eagerly for friday when it comes in the mail biggrin_o.gif

Just wondering...what did PC Gamer UK gave OFP? Becuase PC Gamer US gave OFP like a 70% and Resistance 78%.  While adoring Ghost Recon a game of the year. crazy_o.gif

89% it scored... still rated the top military sim in PC Gamer (well, in the recommendations panel which has the top 3 in) alongside Battlefield and something else (i forget, and i dont care - lol)

GTA, and GTA 3 and VC, all have some extremely original parts; far more than CoD.  The stereotyping is called 'tongue in cheek humour' - sorry if it went over your head.

Tongue in cheek or not its still extremely stereotypical and i resent your comment about it being "Over my head" you do not know me and cant make that type of assumption. This is not the first time (see music thread) you have acted toward me in this way. So, i must ask.

You can disgaree with me that i think KOTOR and COD are better than GTA, maybe its just a personal preference, (i could say the same about your preferences but i wont) without having to resort to such immature behaviour.

just agree to diasgree... any topic such as this is always going to cause conflicts - you're not always going to enjoy the same game, face it... some people don't enjoy VC, some love it - everyone has their own tastes, and lowering yourselves to bickering about it like a children... jeeeze guys, who cares?

I dont care, i actually like GTA as i said. But personal attacks will not be tolerated saying it's "Over my head" and "Somethings wrong with you" crosses the line between debating and just being plain insulting and rude.

And, probably the most realistic part is that the russians were indeed send into battle with just five bullets and no rifle. The were asked to take one of a dead instead.

I have heard that this is incorrect. However, I may be misstaking.

CoD might not be the best game ever, I fully agree on that, but I do not see why the scripting is a problem as it turns the game into one of the most hectic and atmosphere filled games I've ever played. The only thing I've seen that beats it are a few very good (or just very lucky) OFP missions and the beach landing on MOH:AA.

And where the hell is Fallout 2? It's the best RPG of all time. Heck, I'm not even sure if OFP is a better game. crazy_o.gif

Judging by the list PCG UK is a bunch of tossers who just like the games they are currently playing. Too many new flashy games for me. tounge_o.gif

Speaking of which, where is Monkey Island?

I loved those games, got all 4 of them somewhere biggrin_o.gif

Tongue in cheek or not its still extremely stereotypical and i resent your comment about it being "Over my head"

Ummm. Apparently it is over your head, because the whole point of it being so stereotypical was that it was tongue in cheek...... Whether you resent that or not, you just shot yourself in the foot.

Quote[/b] ]

you do not know me and cant make that type of assumption.

I know CoD is extremely cliched and not nearly as original as GTA - something you laughed off your chair at, apparently... which makes you.... what?

Quote[/b] ]

This is not the first time (see music thread) you have acted toward me in this way. So, i must ask.

You're right, it's not the first time you've said something very silly.

Quote[/b] ]

I just don't like stupidity in any of its forms; I have nothing against you.

Nothing to do with personal preference. Cod is simply nowhere near as good a game as GTA. Anyone might prefer CoD, but their preference doesn't make an at-best mediocre game better.

end of line.

CoD might not be the best game ever, I fully agree on that, but I do not see why the scripting is a problem as it turns the game into one of the most hectic and atmosphere filled games I've ever played. The only thing I've seen that beats it are a few very good (or just very lucky) OFP missions and the beach landing on MOH:AA.

The problem with it is that it turns it into a game of memorizing the scripting, and makes it EXACTLY the same the next time you play the level, or load a saved game

Its a problem because instead of making decent, intelligent AI (like OFP did in its time) they just script everything. There were several instances in the game where you could do something unexpected (read- intelligent) and totally break the script, so that the AI just stood there getting shot.