Sign in to follow this  
CounterForce

AH-64D Apache

I would also appreciate an AGM-122 load out, for Shilka, and Tunguska busting where appropriate. That's the reason that weapon is fitted.

There were studies done to fit US helos with IR Maverick. I known this was considered and successfully tested with Cobras. It is a standard air to ground loadout for the SH-2G Super Seasprite. The US Navy has successfully integrated the Penguin IR homing ASM to Seasprites and SeaHawk helos as well.

Why would you fit one Maverick when you can have four Hellfires fully capable of doing the same job?

Apaches don't need the range the Maverick has simply because they fly too low and never get to see that distance like a fixed wing aircraft. The Apaches rarely engage targets at 8km away which is the max-range for the Hellfires.

Mavericks packs a bigger punch, but one Hellfire is still enough for the intended targets the Apaches engage wink_o.gif

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I'm just posting what I know. And actually, I see no reason it couldn't carry one per hardpoint. There are various warheads that Maverick can be fitted with, and they all could be used to completely demolish fairly large buildings from long range, or blow a small ship out of the water.

Add the Penguin ASM, and you could blow a much larger ship out of the water, or cripple a big one.

I guess what's most important is the range they would provide. If I'm facing Tunguska, and SAMs, I want to engage from as far away as I can, and from under cover. And I want my shots to count.

r0k you came across as extremely insulting. Of COURSE the AGM114 and the 2.75in rocket are real AH64D and AH64A weapons. Where else would BIS get that from? The AGM122 and the AIM9X are also weapons on the AH64D and A. I know what I'm talking about. Don't presume otherwise, and don't insult my intelligence please.

Quote[/b] ]calm_terror Posted on July 13 2004,09:27

A planned modification adds another two hardpoints at the wingtips for up to four Stinger, Mistral or Shorts Starstreak air-to-air missiles or two Sidewinders.

atam.jpg

This shows an example of the additional hardpoint, one per wing for total of two extra hardpoints, allowing two AAM's each hardpoint for a total of 4. The ones shown are Mistral, I don't have time to get a pic of the Sidewinders or Stingers.

As mentioned before, they have tested it with various loadouts of air-to-air missiles, and the chart shown is also accurate. There are a few AH-64's in OFP that use AA, including the one used in the MFCTI maps. Just need to look around for them, or just make a new one yourself. If it of this much importance, I'm sure someone with the modelling and config knowledge will get it done soon.

Like said;

Sidewinders can be carried by the apache, but only one at each wingtip (not two). This is on the current AH-64D, though.

With the planned (?) modification it can carry more. But this version doesn't excist yet.

I vote we all just ignore calm_terror who compounded the confusion on this issue. Rather than discussing weapons, I would much rather see people discussing what new kind of functionality a D model could bring to the game.

Could people implement a RWR directional finder, or enhanced standoff capabilities.

It is not wasted time I think.

Summarize this topic i would see 2 new models - AH-64 and AH-64 Longbow, 2 cammo's (Green and Desert), and for each cammo own set of loadouts - just like on Jane's page, so u can choose - AT, patrol, ect. for each camo; for Longbow additional radar controlled Hellfires. I do not know if it is possible with OFP limitations, but it would be nice to be able to check weather while flight - for instance "laser" Hellfires would have shorter range and lower hit propability during rain, and "radar" ones would have no probs with rain (or maybe dust like CAT one) Maybe something like Tunguska's "linkage" - if u have Longbow in formation, it can send u data, which can be visible on map like icons of recognised enemy? And of course stuff like flares, jammers ect., like for other choppers in OFP.

A thought regarding the weapons-system. As we all know, its all fire-and-forget in OFP once you have lock.

I don't know much on the details regarding OFP's limitations, but would it be possible to add the laserdesignator on the Apache and have it slewed synchronized with the chaingun?

Then we could configure one of the Hellfire-types to only lock onto the laser-target. Regular fire-and-forget in OFP could be the FCR (radar-guided).

I started experimented with this but I gave up a while ago after stumbling over some proxy-issues with Hellfires and Stingers on the same chopper.

All I got done was the chaingun's amount of slew and zoom along with correct rate of fire. If anyone wants my config.cpp let me know. btw you can snipe soldiers up to 1200m easily with the amount of zoom I've made.

no problem there, shadow!

you can even do it in the editor via "addweapon".

no you can select the laser, mark a target, switch back to chaingun and fire at the lasertarget.

an even nicer variation of this is: mark any point via the gunmounted laser, switch to hellfires and shoot at your target.

no you can select the laser, mark a target, switch back to chaingun and fire at the lasertarget.

an even nicer variation of this is: mark any point via the gunmounted laser, switch to hellfires and shoot at your target.

Did you mean it is possible or you can't lase a target then switch to hellfires?

I was thinking cofigure the laserdesignator as a wepon on its own. Select it, lase a target, while the laser is active switch to the hellfire and launch it. But the hellfire should only lock onto to the laser-target and nothing else. I know configuring the Hellfire to only lock onto a laser-target is the easy part (sam as A-10 lgb bombs).

Hey Tigershark, a very good idea discusing the new options it can bring to the game.

I have one:

In 2008 (supposedly) apaches will be upgraded to block III standard and the biggest novelty will be the control of UAV's, launched "externally" ie. not launched by the helicopter.

That would be a pretty good tandem for OFP, and coupled with some uber-scripting would probably be a good stand-off platform.

@shadow:

The work you did seems like a good beginning, do try and get help for the proxy issues you have, it would be great if somehow the designator could get damaged and you'd have to shoot hellfire's "blind".

EDIT:Apology to MSpencer

Sorry if I went out of line a bit, it wasn't meant as an insult to your intelligence, will be more "diplomatic" in the future.

you're all bickering over loadouts, correct weapon specs, etc etc... when im most likely in assuming the closest you've all come to one of these is OFP...

why not get back onto the subject of making a AH-64D... and whatever loadouts the addon maker adds, is what u'll get... just seems like a dead end argument at the moment.

True, I only have experience in riding with Bell-412, but that doesn't change anything(my posts) regarding this topic.

Of course the would be addon maker will put whatever weapons he wishes on it, he's in title to it's his project.

But if an addon would come of this thread it wouldn't be so bad, would it?

But will it? ATM its a pis##ng contest like so many subjects here. IMHO.

I've had a ride aboard a Sea King and I've been on a ride in the gunner's pit aboard a Cobra (the worlds coolest rollercoasterm, I shit you not). Joint excersize while I was stationed at Andřya airbase.

The cyclic was heavy as hell, but that's because only the pilot' controlls had servo-controlls. Aiming the cannon was very fun though. But I don't understand how they can hit stuff with it (was'nt allowed to open fire, only aim while on the ground).

I'm not saying I'm an expert on helos, but atleast I got confirmation what I knew from before.

When it comes to weapons all we can do is make it as close to the spec-sheets as possible.

One thing I don't think is possible is making a Hellfire behave like when in LOAL-mode (Lock On After Launch). The missile travels high (allmost straight up) before going straight down on its target.

Quote[/b] ]Aye. Get it made!

I'll need a great skinner, some scripting assistance and someone to help out with the modelling.

Get me that and we're in business wink_o.gif

One thing I don't think is possible is making a Hellfire behave like when in LOAL-mode (Lock On After Launch). The missile travels high (allmost straight up) before going straight down on its target.

well... its might be possible... since some of the sidewinders i've seen out there actually have the shaky flight and, well, sidewind... so prehaps it can be scripted or something...

Did you mean it is possible or you can't lase a target then switch to hellfires?

I was thinking cofigure the laserdesignator as a wepon on its own. Select it, lase a target, while the laser is active switch to the hellfire and launch it. But the hellfire should only lock onto to the laser-target and nothing else. I know configuring the Hellfire to only lock onto a laser-target is the easy part (sam as A-10 lgb bombs).

you can.

the gun even follows the designated laserpoint. and you can switch to hellfires, lock on the laser target and blow it up.

note that you´d have to point a little bit in front of the target with the LD, otherwise the missile is going over the target´s top.

indeed... once you've 'fired' the laser, the red dot continues to show and continues to be a target... so you can switch to hellfires and then select 'Laser Target' from the command menu smile_o.gif

Cool, then we can simulate the old laser-guided hellfire nicely.