Sign in to follow this  
Sgt Mix

Building OFP Computer

Building a new machine for OFP. Wondering what graphics cards are having success and are recommended. Any recommendations on the new machine? Memory etc...

I have seen over various other topics that some video cards have issues while running OFP. Maybe it would be helpful if people listed here some guranteed components to stay away from?

I would wait for ofp2 with the new computer. If you are building for a spesific game.

But that's just me... smile_o.gif

Ive heard OPF runs better on GF4 cards than on the latest FX but i would start concerning about OPF2 instead, although it will only run any good when it becomes dated and old and the hardware makes significant evolution from what we currently have blues.gif .

i just can tell you what my computer specs are:

Athlon 1800+

Radeon 9800 pro 256mo

1Go ram

OFP is running well even if i need a better processor. I can't put the view distance over 2000 meters and on islands like Tonal or Maldevic, i have to set it at 1000/1500 meters to be able to play without any lag.

Anyway, you should listen to SpeedyDonkey and wait for OFP2 to upgrade your computer. smile_o.gif

I have no problem building a new machine for OFP2, in fact, that is the plan. I have almost a good year to still enjoy OFP and I am getting gready. 8)

I need higher framerates, more detail. CUrrently, I have to turn down detail so much, I am missing some of the finer aspects of Vietnam maps and units.

My thanks to those that have offered/shared what they have. Hopefully there will be more. Thanks for the link AvonLady

If anyone can run full datail, in say 1024 (32 bit) or higher, I would love to hear what is pushing it all.

Thanks!

Also, I agree with Ninja:

Quote[/b] ]I have seen over various other topics that some video cards have issues while running OFP. Maybe it would be helpful if people listed here some guranteed components to stay away from?

To heck with winning the battle, I want to win the war!

Its really not that demanding, i can run 1240x1024x32 with all textures at max quality and full detail on a old ti 4200 128 megs, i think performance depends mainly of CPU and RAM.

Oufcourse that is all gonna change with OPF2 so i better start saving...

Oh yeah, not runing toons of addons at the same time and having them organised in multiple mod folders with diferent shortcuts seems to improve performance too smile_o.gif .

This is interesting, did not know you could do that. I will have search on that one later this evening unless you care to expain here.

Quote[/b] ]...and having them organised in multiple mod folders with diferent shortcuts seems to improve performance too

I have little time at work to search. I only have the time it takes to save large graphic files. 8) Which... it is done.

Ive heard OPF runs better on GF4 cards than on the latest FX but i would start concerning about OPF2 instead, although it will only run any good when it becomes dated and old and the hardware makes significant evolution from what we currently have  blues.gif .

The FX series encompasses a wide range of performance options. The low-end FX cards like the 5200s are indeed pretty weak, but the 59xxs are certainly not.

I used to use a GF4 Ti4600 and then switched to a FX 5900XT, and there is a very significant performance difference. When comparing my 3DMark03 score for the FX 5900XT to that of FX5200 cards, I generally score about twice as high, even though my CPU score tends to be lower because I don't overclock my FSB etc. Also, as you already stated, the GF4 Ti 4600 for instance outscores the FX 5200.

"There is a very significant performance difference. When comparing my 3DMark03 score for the FX 5900XT to that of FX5200 cards, I generally score about twice as high, even though my CPU score tends to be lower because I don't overclock my FSB etc. Also, as you already stated, the GF4 Ti 4600 for instance outscores the FX 5200."

I would much rather hear about actual differences in ofp and other games, rather then scores in various test programs.

smile_o.gif

Now this is what I am looking for. wink_o.gif

Thanks guys. All of this helps. Because I also believe it depends on MB etc. Thnk goodness I am not actually building it. A great friend, that gave me my current machine will be building it. He is a programmer so...

It has been a while since he looked at gaming machine compnents so I am doing as much of the research that I can for him.

Currently I have a NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200. I just dropped a 512 chip in it so, with my 256 I am up to 768. Computer manager says I havean x86 Family 6 Model Stepping 2 AMD 1532 mhz processor.

I am getting ready to see what the memory has done for me. Hopefully a lot. The autodetect showed an improvement. Just got home and figured I would check the thread real quick.

Anymore feedback is greatly appreciated.

---------------------------------

Yep... that helped. smile_o.gif "Could still use more power", as Tim Taylor would say.

OK, let me clear that up a little bit by quoting myself:

Quote[/b] ]I used to use a GF4 Ti4600 and then switched to a FX 5900XT, and there is a very significant performance difference in OFP. Also, when comparing my 3DMark03 score for the FX 5900XT to that of FX5200 cards, I generally score about twice as high, even though my CPU score tends to be lower because I don't overclock my FSB etc. Also, as you already stated, the GF4 Ti 4600 for instance outscores the FX 5200.

I don't play any other games besides OFP on a regular basis, but I was curious about the synthetic score from 3DMark03, so I compared the before-and-after following the video card upgrade.

Sgt Mix, I'm not sure what motherboard you have, but if it supports dual-channel memory configurations, the setup you have now will likely NOT be optimal. If dual-channel is supported, you must have two identical memory modules installed, and they'll have to go into specific slots.

When running in dual-channel mode, your memory bandwidth will essentially double, which will make a huge improvement in practically any program, especially when you combine that with the benefits of going from 256MB of RAM to either 512MB or 1024MB (depending on whether you use 2x256 or 2x512).

Now that you say that...

Quote[/b] ]...but if it supports dual-channel memory configurations, the setup you have now will likely NOT be optimal. If dual-channel is supported, you must have two identical memory modules installed, and they'll have to go into specific slots.

I think I recall my bud telling me something like that. Though I did install the memory (only three slots total, one obviously vacant), and can see it (total number installed) in one of those admin screens where you can see system/computer info (Win2000). The game sure played better. Never once did the graphics wack out and lock up everything (grey screen I think they call it). Made it to the objective and back to base camp without a crash. It use to always...

<radio chatter>

Welp, that's me. Our recon unit is pulling patrol with a Marine sniper team along the ridge in the valley. Gotta run. wink_o.gif

Thanks again everyone for the feedback.

It was a long time ago but i could swear my OPFR performance improved when i switched from w2k to xp.

Quote[/b] ]The FX series encompasses a wide range of performance options. The low-end FX cards like the 5200s are indeed pretty weak, but the 59xxs are certainly not.

I think that the ti4200 performs better than the 5200, and that even the 5600 isnt has good has the ti4400 regarding gpu performance, the FX series were the first DX9 nvidia cards and with exception of the high end 59xx's the 5th generation of nvidia cards were not very good performers considering how much they cost and DX9 features werent extensively used in current games so im glad i skipped it.

Hey sgt. Mix, my ti4200 runs OPF at 1280x1024x32 so whatever upgrade you need shouldnt be graphic card related, be sure to keep your sistem free from spyware and runing other stuff while you play you hear biggrin_o.gif .

stop living in the past: if you want to play OFP at full get a PCIexpress mobo and a Geforce 6800 / 5900 , save up so that you (if you got the cash) can link up two Geforce cards and you can run everything at full  biggrin_o.gif  tounge_o.gif

EDIT: and if you're not sitting on a pile of cash: i've got an FX 5900 128 , and got memory issues... so i suggest a 5900 w/ 255 MB or 5950 w/ 128 (or 256 if you can spare it)

Finally instlalled my new 2500+ Athlon with 512k cache(Barton).

Spent the afternoon testing against my old 2400+(256K cache) and

the benefits of Dual Channel memory vs single channel

Abit NF7-S Nforce2 400 Ultra motherboard.

Geforce4200 ti 64meg video... (resolution has NO effect on FPS)

Probably won't be true for OFP2

DISTANCE is the killer... 1000m vs 5000m 80% DROP in fps.

(One 512meg) ram (single channel)

(two 256meg) ram (dual channel)

FPS

(Single (dual Pref. Benchmark

channel) channel) (rough numbers)

2000(cpu)/133ram 65 +3 5300-5600

2000/166 72 +2 5400-6000

2000/200 76 +1 5500-6000

2200/200 81 +1 5800-6200

Dual channel memory adds FPS +3(133memory) +2(166mem) +1(200mem)

The new cpu with 512k cache increases the FPS by...

Old athlon 256K cache at 2200/200 82 FPS

New cpu 512K cache at 2200/200 88 FPS benchmark 6100-6800

2200cpu/200mem =athlon 3200+ 6 FPS increase = 7 percent.

Can't test the new cpu at all the speeds of the old one since

it is multiplier locked at 11X.

Should have tested the old cpu at the 11X options but forgot until

I took it out and put in the new one. :(

MEGS OF RAM

256: intro 70 fps, Battlefields mission 18-19 fps

512: intro 72 fps, Battlefields mission 19-20 fps

1024: intro 72 fps, Battlefields mission 19-20 fps

... so 256 to 512... maybe as much as 5%

512 to 1024 nothing.

(I did get a GOOD! boost from the latest Nforce2 chipset drivers

gart driver 377, audio 431) (*NOT USED in these test results*)

Now going from a BELOW spec level of ram (128) to 256 (on a friend's

computer)

did make a big difference! (no hard data, visual impression)

Hope this helps anyone looking to upgrade.

jmc