Sign in to follow this  
redliner47

Accents

Ok, i have been working on accents for the past few years and I have mastered a few due to living in the countries or just practicing them. Now im trying to learn a finnish accent, can anyone describe it to me? where emphesis is placed on vowels and consenants(sp?)

Any help would be great  smile_o.gif

accents..hmmm is it just me or does any one else think a chick with a english or aussy accent gains crazy sexy points  biggrin_o.gif

yeah I know that was random but oh well  biggrin_o.gif

mmmmmm....catherine zeta jones.....sexy british accent....wait what biggrin_o.gif

she is Welsh! mad_o.gif

anyways, what is all the accent learning for?

note: don't be surprised if denoir jumps in and rants about how Swedish accent is the best one and dominate others tounge_o.gif

What about a Chicago accent? We say "Hot dog and coffee" the coolest out of anyone. biggrin_o.gif  tounge_o.gif

ick...yankee accents tounge_o.gif j/k I'm just southern born..southern breed and when I die I'll be southern dead biggrin_o.gif

Ok, i have been working on accents for the past few years and I have mastered a few due to living in the countries or just practicing them. Now im trying to learn a finnish accent, can anyone describe it to me? where emphesis is placed on vowels and consenants(sp?)

Any help would be great  smile_o.gif

Eizei and other real finns don't get too shocked but this is how it is tounge_o.gif

All the soft consonants should be should be hard. B is P, D is T G is K, F is V etc... but the Finnish P, T, K, F and V are softer than is English.

In words that begin with a double or triple consonants only the last consonant is pronounced. The R's should be something like in spanish.

Example:

This is a crazy idea you got. I guess you'll fail.

Finns:

Tis is a razy itea you kot. I kuess you'll vail.

Finnish is a totally different language compaired to the other major european languages. English has more in common with Russian than Finnish has and still they are neighbour countries.

Quote[/b] ]English has more in common with Russian than Finnish has and still they are neighbour countries.

what??? i think finnish has more in common with russian than english. and yes, i played FDF. smile_o.gif

Well thing about accents is that dont let it sound mate. U might sound lie ya gotta couple kangaroos lost in the farm.

ahhh aussie talk. true blue smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]what??? i think finnish has more in common with russian than english. and yes, i played FDF.

I cannot agree with that. Finnish is my mothers tongue and I’ve taken some Russian languages lessons and been to Russia several times. Finnish and Russian has absolutely nothing in common. A couple of words do sound remotely similar but that's more of a coincidence then anything else.

There are a couple of Slavic and Baltic languages that have some things in common with Russian. One of my Croatian friends actually understood quite a few words from that Russian textbook I had.

Play the FDFMOD campaign or listen to our ex-prime minister's somewhat embarrassing english. tounge_o.gif

Yes, that's a typical Finnish accent. I speak a very mushy, boring, neutral accent a bit haltingly, because those soft sounds in English just mess my mouth up. blues.gif English is my third language. Swedish my first, Finnish the second.

edit: Russian and Finnish have nothing in common no matter how it sounds (it doesn't).

Quote[/b] ]edit: Russian and Finnish have nothing in common no matter how it sounds (it doesn't).

they both are left to right. mad_o.gif

Finnish is not a slavic language like russian. Instead, as weird as it sounds, it is linked to hungarian.

Quote[/b] ]

Finnish is not a slavic language like russian. Instead, as weird as it sounds, it is linked to hungarian.

And estonian, which is quite close actually. A finn can usually guess lot of basic words.

Unfortunately my accent is so strong that most people have problems understanding my english. sad_o.gif

and i love my russian accent when i speak english. it sounds like russian mafia in movies tounge_o.gifghostface.gif

Finnish is part of the Finnish-Ugric (Finno-Ugric? Not sure what it is in English) language family (? again), Finnish, Hungarian, Estonian and maybe the Sami language should be part of that family if I recall my "Modersmĺl" classes correctly...

I used to speak with a Swedish accent, but then I started watching films like Trainspotting, Lock Stock & two smoking barrels, Snatch and so on and so forth. (I even watched that silly TV series called LockStock) And then I started to mimic the accents found in those films, and later on I started watching quite a few films from Ireland, which made me mimic Irish accents, doesn't sound too beleivable, but it's better than the staggering accent our prime minister has ;)

But the sad fact is that alof of people my age have almost no Swedish accent, and write in English alot better than they write in Swedish.

EDIT: And yeah Finnish is part of the Finnish-Ugric (Finsk-Ugriska) language family, with all of the above family members. Thank god that I am too lazy to return my textbooks to school wink_o.giftounge_o.gif

Once I got asked "you've got funny accent, are you from Florida?" biggrin_o.gif

It might be because there are huge amounts of Finnish pensioners living in Florida, but more probable cause is that Finnish and Spanish (and some Arabs) tend to pronounce english in a same way..

Incidentally, many Finnish people sound really fluent in Spanish if they just pronounce J as H (and speak a lot faster and wave their hands around a lot tounge_o.gif ). Same thing with Finnish people speaking Japanese.

It's too bad that everyone doesn't understand Finnish. FDFmod campaign and single missions have lot of inside jokes and Finnish phrases that subtitles do not tell.  biggrin_o.gif Well, they would hardly make sence in English anyway.

I'd say that I have understandable accent. I try to make it sound like proper English but there is some difficult words that I can't pronounce too well.

And oh, I would love to see or hear English voice sets with different British accents. I know there's lot of different accents and dialects in UK.

edit: typo  tounge_o.gif

And oh, I would love to see or hear English voice sets with different British accents. I know there's lot of different accents and dialects in UK.

"Kings" english for officers and "cockney" for privates? tounge_o.gif

j/k

Being from Northern England as I am, my accent is someway from the movie English (eg Hugh Grant) accent that a lot of people assume we all talk with. There's a woman I met in the town who is a book translator so speaks excellent English and she told me I have a funny accent biggrin_o.gif

Slightly OT: I've always had a thing for women with accents, which makes it fun to live in a foreign country as I do now. I dated a girl from Canada for a few months a while back but she didn't have much of an accent unfortunately rock.gif

I've got odd taste as well, my favourite accent so far is the nasaly whine of New York/Brooklyn or therabouts, Debi Mazar & Fran Drescher just send me loopy, especially Fran's laugh, don't know if anyone can find a clip but it's just incredible smile_o.gif