Sign in to follow this  
iNeo

Venus transit 2004

June 8, 2004

Venus will pass in front of the sun, visible from Europe, Africa and Asia.

The last time this happened was in 1882.

This phenomenon occurs in pairs, the second one coming 8 years after the first one. After that, it takes more than 100 years before it happens again.

[*] vt-2004.org/central - Watch the phenomenon live on June 8

[*] vt-2004.org/transit/vt-prep-tendays.html - How to prepare

[*] vt-2004.org - Venus Transit 2004

[*] eso.org - the European Southern Observatory homepage

display-dummy-01.jpg

Damn. I'm not gonna be able to see it sad_o.gif I like seeing planets going in front of the sun. smile_o.gif Astromoneys a kinda good subject.

Probly not since i thinks the time line is set for 1985 not 2004 or wat ever this years is. smile_o.gif

I dont go out much. tounge_o.gif

visible from Europe

Finally, something good comes out of living in this hell hole! biggrin_o.gif

Now I just need tools and beer

Probly not since i thinks the time line is set for 1985 not 2004 or wat ever this years is. smile_o.gif

I dont go out much. tounge_o.gif

put the date in OFP to June 8 then skiptime 122721.37878

Forget about going outside. Just take a break, open your bedroom door and walk around the inside of your house for a few minutes. crazy_o.gif

Forget about going outside. Just take a break, open your bedroom door and walk around the inside of your house for a few minutes. crazy_o.gif

Dear God, thats crazy talk! wow_o.gif

Great, just another reason why I should look directly at the sun tounge_o.gif

Damn. I'm not gonna be able to see it sad_o.gif  I like seeing planets going in front of the sun. smile_o.gif  Astromoneys a kinda good subject.

If it's visible from Asia, hopefully we should be able to see something from Australia...

Damn. I'm not gonna be able to see it sad_o.gif  I like seeing planets going in front of the sun. smile_o.gif  Astromoneys a kinda good subject.

If it's visible from Asia, hopefully we should be able to see something from Australia...

http://www.vt-2004.org/Background/Infol2/vt2004-if3-fig4.jpg --> "Partial transit visible"

yay!!! i have telescope!!! now only pasting some discs around the lens...

Bump.

2 days to go.

Would taking the picture by looking at the flat screen moniter on my camera be safe ? and if so it wouldnt damage my camera right ?

Edit: also is there anythink i can do to reduce sun glair ?

It won't damage your camera, human eyes get "flashburn" from bright lights, I know from welding,I have gotten it twice.

I think fast shutter speed and small aperature would be best,but I am no camera expert

I think fast shutter speed and small aperature would be best,but I am no camera expert

That sounds right but I think without a solar filter and high magnification, you won't see anything but white light on your pics. Just my guess.

I'll try to take some pictures.

Hehe, yeah right. Good luck. Here are some pictures from "sunny" Stockholm of the Sun behind Venus behind a thick cloud layer   biggrin_o.gif

venus1.jpg

[ig]http://denoir.ma.cx/ofp/venus2.jpg[/img]>100kb

venus3.jpg

Two reference shots so that you can see how rainy it is:

venus4.jpg

venus5.jpg

We had some very nice weather the last few days, but it started raining yesteday and it looks like it won't be stopping any time today.

hmm...would be great if i can pick up one of those filter foils during my lunch break and take some pics with the companys digicam

it´s almost 30° degrees celsius here and i have a fantastic look at the sun smile_o.gif

I tried looking at the sun, but seeing nothing I kept lookin rather than looking away, and my eyes now hurt and I have bright spots all over my eyes. sad_o.gif

Im such a dumbass mad_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

Oh well, off to work sad_o.gif

ouch ex-ronin crazy_o.gif

we just tried it with some welding protection glasses....the sun was visible through it but i have to find a cam withh strong zoom now because thhe sun itself was barely visible, no black dot seen yet sad_o.gif

I just took this a few minutes ago smile_o.gif

Nice  smile_o.gif Any tips for me on how to reduce sunglair ? smile_o.gif

I just took this a few minutes ago smile_o.gif

Nice  smile_o.gif Any tips for me on how to reduce sunglair ?  smile_o.gif

I used this and a Powershot A300 digital camera :P

The floppy disk things taped in the binocular do not block UV light so its only usable with a camera... I used the same thing to take this eclipse shot.

I tried looking at the sun, but seeing nothing I kept lookin rather than looking away, and my eyes now hurt and I have bright spots all over my eyes. sad_o.gif

Im such a dumbass mad_o.gif  crazy_o.gif

Oh well, off to work sad_o.gif

You can come along and pick up my solar eclipse 'glasses' from 1999 at my office biggrin_o.gif

Working like a charm...