Sign in to follow this  
Adammo

Ofp 1.5 join in progress "jip"

Phh...this topic has been discussed so many times. I think a tiny update like this would make NO money and break all the old addons and missions for OFP, just wait for OFP2.

I play just co-op's and plan to do that until OFP2 arrives so I can live without jip. I would turn it off even if it was possible today.

JIP is fine for "common" MP gametypes such as deathmatch, capture the flag etc., but I know people who only ever play co-ops, as DM and CTF just aren't all that fun in OFP.

JIP would be GREAT! Id probably get it! (of course, Im not a big fan of co-op or single player...so it would be right up my alley). On the other hand, I dont think it would be released as an add-on. I think the original OFP is out of print. (at least I cant find it around my area anymore). Ive tried to turn some friends on to OFP and they just cant buy it anywhere anymore (aside from a few online sites carrying inventory). As a free update/beta test, it might serve to draw a few old school players back to the flock, but I dont think it would revitalize the multiplayer community. I think OFP2 is the tool for that, and Im willing to wait until thats ready to roll. Really looking forward to that day!

Quote[/b] ] I know people who only ever play co-ops, as DM and CTF just aren't all that fun in OFP.

CTI is a perfect example of the need for it.

A game that last 2-3 hours and your connection drops in the first 30 minutes of the game..

VERY Frustrating!

I wouldn't buy it when it only had JIP as i have no need for that. If it had all the additional stuff that is in the xbox version also i would buy it. But not as a fullprice game. But 20€ would be a good price, maybe even 30€. And it would be really good if you could use it as a "full game", eg new gamers would only have to buy this to get into the game, as most new gamers wouldn't buy goty+this (ie 2 games) to get into an "old" game. But if it were only an upgrade for old gamers that would be ok by me too.

What about at least an option to join in again if you have disconnected/dropped and reconnect with same id and name (if the AI replacing you is still alive, that is of course, also if there's some respawn as you would still have an AI with your name in game) ?

I would bet there will be neither JIP for potential OFP 1.5 nor for OFP2. Bcs BIS would have to redo the whole script-engine for it, or we will only able to play some standard DM-, TDM-, CTF-Maps with the JIP-Feature. You will never be able to play the current CTI-Maps with JIP. On CTI-Maps and on many other scripted Maps, many processes are done by server and clients seperately, and only some of the results of these processes where exchanged over the Net. If a player disconnects, the whole informations stored on it's computer will get lost, so noone can "jip", and get in as this specific player! Maybe JIP as a NEW player would be possible (in OFP2), but for that the greater part of the scripts of existing maps has to be redone..

Besides BIS has annoucend, that they has thrown out many ideas for OFP2 among other things there will be now new OFP2-engine, but an improved OFP1-engine. So far so good, let's hope the best!!!

Afaik jip HAS been done for ofp 1.5 (aka ofp xbox) already. Although you are right on the other points, ie joining an already running cti. It would be possible in other missions though...

Nothing that i would consider a must have. Other things, like clipping errors, network model (serverbased instead of distributed between clients and server) and general taxation on server hardware would be a better argument for me to buy ofp 1.5. I know of no other game were a dedicated server uses that much ressources, not even any game close to it. I don't even think of the ofp dedicated server as a dedicated server at all, i guess it's just a "client without graphics". In other games you need a 3ghz cpu for clients but something like 700mhz to 1ghz is enough for a dedicated server. In ofp the dedicated server needs even more cpu power than the clients sad_o.gif

i would pay addon prices ... like half the games retail or something like that... and if there are many really awesome updates included, maybe even the full price of a newly released game...

C'mon guys it is only 7 months until OFP2 and then someone is bound to convert the CWC campaign. I am sure you can live those few more months.

C'mon guys it is only 7 months until OFP2 and then someone is bound to convert the CWC campaign.  I am sure you can live those few more months.

I will not believe that until the day I read an article "OFP2 gone gold".

I'd be happy to pay €30 for some extra features.

C'mon guys it is only 7 months until OFP2 and then someone is bound to convert the CWC campaign.  I am sure you can live those few more months.

I will not believe that until the day I read an article "OFP2 gone gold".

I'd be happy to pay €30 for some extra features.

I meant an amateur mod CWC conversion not a pro one.

C'mon guys it is only 7 months until OFP2

And it's only 4 years ago to Doom 3!