Sign in to follow this  
drow

Vietnam collaboration

Hello all fellow Vietnam Modders.

Im Drow, Leader of The Unsung Vietnam War Mod. What we plan to do with our mod, is truely and realistically depict events throughout the second Indo China War, know to most as the Vietnam War, known to the Vietnamese as, the American War.

Now this was the longest war in US history, but it was never really declared a war at all. It was the evolving and testing of new techniques in warfare, against a new enemy, a guerilla fighter who at first was largely underestimated, but later became respected and even feared. This was also the coming of age of the helicopter, in many facets on the battlefield, whether it be the insertion of troops into the field to quickly engage an enemy if located, the extraction of wounded soldiers, or the new tactical advantage of having the ability to call fire support from the ever watching, hovering birds in the sky.

Another significant thing about this war was the changing of attitudes throughout the war itself, being such a long and tedious war with no clear objectives, no front lines, no understanding of what they were doing there, they gradually wound up with no moral to fight the war. The US army crumbled in Vietnam, and the beautiful country of Vietnam crumbled under them.

This being such a gigantic project, I think it a good idea to ask fello Vietnam mods to concider cooperation on the lines that we could choose different eras in the war and base each of our mods in this way, therefore we could cover the whole war in a fraction of the time. This came to mind once when reading the 100th post somewhere about how the each of the WW2 mods should choose one section of the war to complete.

Thank you for reading this, and I hope we can work together in the future.

Sincerly,

R. Cole Paterson

a.k.a. Drow

The Unsung Mod Leader

At the very least, I hope you all decide to share models. Good luck with this initiative - let's hope that it fares better than nearly all other collaborative efforts in the past. crazy_o.gifsad_o.gif

Really if all mods collaberated we could have a PREFECT Vietnam MOD, with each "mod group" focusing on seomthing specific. Model sharing, texture sharing, scripting sharing, and sound sharing are just a few things that we all could do. It would even be great if some WW2 mods helped out too, many of the VC and ARVN weapons were just old ww2 weapons. Can you imagine all the lovely things that could come out of such colaberation? Anyways I'll share what i got (with drows permission of couse.... biggrin_o.gif wait i dont wana share my nudie posters and pin ups..... ok j/k I will share them all) But seriously great idea.

I'm still looking for other mission editors. They seem to be few and far between in the mod groups. What good is an addon if you don't have any missions to play it on?

Thats why we're a campaign based mod.

(actually The Unsung started as just a campaign, but there wasnt enough Vietnam addons to make a good campaign - no offence to SEBNAM pack2 of course, thats what started it all for me.)

We're making the addons we will NEED to make You Guys a great campaign, or campaigns...

wink_o.gif

All the people who have posted here are part of the 10000 man Unsung team.

All 976 members?

quit spamming and insulting me in my own thread.

how many other vietnam mods are there anyways? Also theres a bunch of ww2 mods that would be nice to have as allies.

I hardly call this spam. I'm just pointing out that you've got a team that is enormous, and it's not an insult.

Your PM was uncalled for, and the amount of profanity and insults contained inside was also unnecessary.

I'm not sure if many WWII mods could help you out, much of the weapons in WWII were replaced by Vietnam.

And now you're showing your attitude drow.

Please stop before this turns out to be a flame war and some mod closes it.

I think this is a great idea, but how many other 'nam mods are there?! Sebnam2 is... No longer? Only one I can think of is Unsung..

Vietnam warfare: burned battlefiels is it still alive??

Ye Drow its a g8 idea

Theres more Vietnam modders, Burned Battlefields Mod (yes theyre alive I spoke to Charon last weekend), SYCO, Ebud, Hawkins Da Fin (I think...), theres people out there, individuals who mod vietnam... I asked "Vietnam Modders" not just mods.

Anyways,

@ Spencer

That PM Was called for, your comments in this thread Were not.

Please keep your thoughts to yourself if they do not pertain to the topic.

I hardly call this spam. I'm just pointing out that you've got a team that is enormous, and it's not an insult.

Your PM was uncalled for, and the amount of profanity and insults contained inside was also unnecessary.

I'm not sure if many WWII mods could help you out, much of the weapons in WWII were replaced by Vietnam.

And now you're showing your attitude drow.

Spencer, dude, don't be a *****....no reason for it at all, this is the ofp community, not some lame bf1942 gay patrol community

Anyhow....DROW, this is a great idea.  I'd get like former SEBNAm people to join up and look into other Vietnam mods.  Perhaps i can work, my mod, perhaps we can work together more so with you guys...perhaps....merge...even though we are a korean war mod :-(

~Bmgarcangel

i cant see a merger, but i can see almost total cooperation on grounds of textures, weapons models and sounds. The commies used alot of the same weapons in the korean war and vietnam...

smile_o.gif

There was that German Nam mod a while ago, that might still be going? rock.gif

There was that German Nam mod a while ago, that might still be going? rock.gif

yes, theyre the Burned Battlefields mod mentioned earlier in this thread...

as to what spencer mentioned about ww2 weapons being obsolete in vietnam,

The enemies used a lot of ww2 weapons, besides the ak47 which many soldiers of the north vietnamese army used, but the VC generally had old weapons, stuff from the french, japanese, americans (ww2 weapons were given to the ARVN - south vietnamese, US cleaning out its war closet and giving the old shit to its new allies etc.

When the commies killed enemy soldiers they took their gear and weapons)

I know, they used tons of ww2 weapons..whats the matter with that weird kid???

Ok...they used alot of:

Quote[/b] ]

Jap Rifles

Jap SMG's

PPSHA-41 and other ppsha's

SVT-40 Automatic RIfle

Sten and Bren MG's

m2 50 caliber machine guns

springfields

thompsons

grease guns

and so much more!

So Mspencer, don't make a fool or yourself. Talk about what you know and rather then what you don't know...

Hey drow, don't we almost have total cooperation on grounds of textures, weapons models and sounds...I say almost cause we're not right there yet.........

~Bmgarcangel

And now YOU start flaming me after drow starts bitching at me?

As far as weapons, no, you're wrong. In Vietnam, they hardly used WWII weapons.

If you're supplied by Russia with high tech guns, you generally TAKE the high tech guns.

Ok but anyways.... This forum is about vietnam mods sharing, so I invite any mods that can help to speak up. All ready I have seen how most of the OFP community is awesome and likes to help people out, we also are willing to help others just as others have helped us. We do need some russian ww2 weapons for our VC, ya know the local guys who where usually givien a shitty gun to jusat pop off rounds at the US at night time (trust me I've ready plenty books) local VC were given all the left overs, NVA on the other hand had all the "hightech" weapons mostly from china but yes a few did come from russia (mostly casue russian didnt really want to get pulled into a shitty war in a hot smelly place). So lets all shake hands and make up if you believe someone is wrong lets PM each other and compare rescources wink_o.gif Anyways, sharing is what will help this OFP community grow guys, if someone has a great addon, idea, or technique lets share it, long live OFP!!!!!!!!!! (until OFP 2) tounge_o.gif

From the way this thread has been, it doesnt seem like this "merger" will ever happen. How sad that in a thread about being allies turns into a potential flame war...

DROP IT and move on. The last thing this community needs is another name calling game. We got enough of that already.

"Can't we all just get along?"

Not with these PMs. Frankly, I believe this should be locked and not posted here. Drow is being territorial and flaming me constantly via PM.

If you've got that attitude, wrong place.