Sign in to follow this  
kimble275

Will ofp2 look like americas army?

Just wondering, if the graphics will suck like the old game. But no matter. I still like the realism of the gear, and vehicles. Will the graphics of OFP2 look like Americas Army. Cuz americas army is very highly detailed, and is great looking.

Also. Will you be able to see your legs, and body in first person. Cuz I liked that in the old one. In most 1st person games. There is no body, you look down upon yourself, and just see the ground, and your floating.

Thanx.

I hope not.

I like it the way it is.

All I would like is to smoothen the graphics a bit and keep the BAS, suchey, Marfy's quality units.

I hope not.

I like it the way it is.

All I would like is to smoothen the graphics a bit and keep the BAS, suchey, Marfy's quality units.

You can you say hope not? And you like it the way it was. It's horrible. Good back then. But shity to-todays standards. Americas Army is a highly detailed game with awsome geometry, and a very good game engine. The only thing I don't like about A.A (Americas Army) is that you have no body. What is BAS?

I have a 9800pro Video card. And I want to take advantage of it.

The difference betweeen OFP and AA is:

1. In OFP you can spend half a day walking the Island (map)

2. AA is just another shooter on Unreal engine

3. OFP is mostly a military strategy and tactics.

4. OFP is an environment of unlimited mods and addons

I could enumerate the reasons for hours, but it's boring. I'd rather play OFP.

Well, it would be awsome if the quality is like BAS's stuff or the Marine Assualt pack. But with actual hands and Hi-res textures for everything. Like in resistance. But hands are terrible. Thank god for glove textures.

I say fix the wierd graphic problems, and improve the best things like far viewing distance and don't worry about the mediocre stuff unless there's a great idea to implement.

The graphics will probably look like Far Cry. www.farcry.com. Or atleast I hope so... Tanks being hugely detailed, high Resolution Textures.

Will it use Direct X 9? I hope so. Only the engineer can tell us? Is he part of this board? I would think so. but I don't know. I'm really getting anxious about #2.

Quote[/b] ]Just wondering, if the graphics will suck like the old game.

That's pretty subjective wink_o.gif I think they are pretty good, especially some of the recent addons (BAS, Earl/Suchey etc.)

Quote[/b] ]But no matter. I still like the realism of the gear, and vehicles. Will the graphics of OFP2 look like Americas Army. Cuz americas army is very highly detailed, and is great looking.

As someone said before, AA is based on the Unreal engine, which is entirely different to the OFP engine and will be similarly different to the OFP2 engine. Different engines built for different games - I'd like to see Unreal/AA try and simulate the open expanses possible in OFP! Same goes for Far Cry...

Quote[/b] ]Also. Will you be able to see your legs, and body in first person. Cuz I liked that in the old one. In most 1st person games. There is no body, you look down upon yourself, and just see the ground, and your floating.

I'd assume it will be the same as it is now - you can see as much of your arms/body as your head movement allows. Again depends on the engine (which we can assume will be an improved version of the original OFP one).

The question is - did the AA dev team manage a glimpse of the future and make AA in the image of OFP2? I think this is an important question that BIS need to ponder to protect their project.

i hope its like VBS1

VBS1 uses the same graphics engine as OFP. rock.gif

All I can say is I hope they improve the graphics.

As far as a comparison to AAO, I really like AAO, but don't think the graphics and physics are very revolutionary, or even something to shoot for. The soldier models and textures in AAO are pretty nice, but in terms of physics, AAO's unreal engine simply cannot do many of the things OFP's engine can.

Physics is most important to me though. Due to the engine differences, a comparison with AAO's and OFP's physics isn't really fair to either game.

On the soldier level, I would like OFP to have the look and feel of Hidden and Dangerous 2. Hidden and Dangerous 2 is a mostly DirectX8 game with features of DirectX9 implimented. It makes for a very playable game that looks dowright brilliant at times.

15.jpg

One of the mysterious screens we saw while ago ( made it bit bigger ).

Looks like the old engine with lot more detailled objects and textures, personal i think with such a look and features like pixel shaders a skelleton system  and all the other modern features this would already be perfect for me.

Bit more gras and realistic nature and here we go, at the end its still the playability that is most important.

A example of how not to do it is SÖLDNER... looks very ugly for a 2004 game i think

I understand people asking for newer engiens and high resolution graphics with pixel shaders and high tech waving-in-the-wind grass with birds nests in the tree's, but do we really need it? The game runs slow now with a large number of troops on the map, with the amount of activity and large scale of the island. With all the features people are asking for now, are we trying to turn this game into another one of those "You gotta be rich or you gotta be with daddy" sort of games? I hate that. Games that demand 2.4ghz with Radeon 9800 PRO XT SUPER DELUX SUPER DUPER EDITION and 2gig of RAM.

You can afford it, but not many can.

Yes, there is room for improvment, but think first of how many soldiers you want on the screen at the same time. 18? Or 180?

That is why it is important for them to make the engine more efficient and less demanding on the system. By all reports this had to be done to get it on XBOX.

Hopefully we can have the best of both worlds in OFP2 hi-detailed models/graphics without the lag associated with OFP:R

I understand people asking for newer engiens and high resolution graphics with pixel shaders and high tech waving-in-the-wind grass with birds nests in the tree's, but do we really need it? The game runs slow now with a large number of troops on the map, with the amount of activity and large scale of the island. With all the features people are asking for now, are we trying to turn this game into another one of those "You gotta be rich or you gotta be with daddy" sort of games? I hate that. Games that demand 2.4ghz with Radeon 9800 PRO XT SUPER DELUX SUPER DUPER EDITION and 2gig of RAM.

Yes, there is room for improvment, but think first of how many soldiers you want on the screen at the same time. 18? Or 180?

Give me an example of a game with 180 highly detailed models on the map rendered by a game engine.

To make it simpler, please enumerate the games you know of with as many models on screen as possible.

We will see then if the game you talking about is less demanding

The graphics will probably look like Far Cry. www.farcry.com. Or atleast I hope so... Tanks being hugely detailed, high Resolution Textures.

Yuck, i seriously hope not, Far Cry looks like shit to me crazy_o.gif . I mean the weapons and vehicals lack detail big time.

Earls weapons look better than far cry.

BAS helicopters look better than far cry.

OPF terrain and rendering capacity beats the shit outa far cry.

And to make OPF2 look like AA:O rock.gif At what expense? Another sand box shooter?

Give me an example of a game with 180 highly detailed models on the map rendered by a game engine.

To make it simpler, please enumerate the games you know of with as many models on screen as possible.

It was an exaggeration, but OFP can get close to that mark. If you turn off all your advanced graphics setting, I'm pretty sure you can get into the 100 mark. I've nearly gotten to that point messing around with the editor. 64 groups per country/class in OFP if I remember correctly. Ran like a hog, but I was mostly taking it for a screenshot. 64 civilians(bumped this up by putting them in groups and then adding more), and around 20 EAST and 10 WEST. Not on that mark, but pretty close. I'm sure it would have ran faster if I wasn't boosting all of my graphics up to maximum just for screenshot purposes, which was with my RADEON 7200, not my 9600. Doubt it would make much of a difference.

While I doubt that there are any real games out there with that number of models, looks like the new ROME:TOTAL WAR seems to be getting to what your asking.

And why make it simpler? Think I'm some sort of retardate?

Exacly!

What keeps me playing in OFP is the essence of what this is.

I have been playing it for the last 30 years and I still want more.

I played whatever there was to play. I always stopped after a few hours and why?

Because it was a BIG PILE OF CRAP. Boring and unworthy of the money.

It was an exaggeration, but OFP can get close to that mark. If you turn off all your advanced graphics setting, I'm pretty sure you can get into the 100 mark. I've nearly gotten to that point messing around with the editor. 64 groups per country/class in OFP if I remember correctly. Ran like a hog, but I was mostly taking it for a screenshot. 64 civilians(bumped this up by putting them in groups and then adding more), and around 20 EAST and 10 WEST. Not on that mark, but pretty close. I'm sure it would have ran faster if I wasn't boosting all of my graphics up to maximum just for screenshot purposes, which was with my RADEON 7200, not my 9600. Doubt it would make much of a difference.

While I doubt that there are any real games out there with that number of models, looks like the new ROME:TOTAL WAR seems to be getting to what your asking.

And why make it simpler? Think I'm some sort of retardate?

Keep the Strategy games out of it.

They are board games like chess.

Eeerrr..ookkayy. Chess. Yeah. Just like chess

But, I beleive the OFP engine only needs improvments, not total overhall. The engine is pretty versatile the way it is. No other game has allowed me to recreate D-Day, Black Hawk Down, and Canadians in Afghanistan all in one package. Switching to a newer and prettier, but more limited, engine would only take away that something special.

Like i said, take the OFP1 engine add the features todays hardware offers make the models more detailled and with some better textures add a bit more nature and it should be all a player needs.

And i think thats pretty much how OFP2 will look like.

Imagine good old OFP with units in a quality of BAS, FDF, RHS, DKM and all the other teams addons.

Gras,trees and bushes who dont look like flat textures, water that reflects everything nicely... what else could we need smile_o.gif

well, the modability of graphics should be versatile like having good arm models w/out heavy clothing.

Look at the Nam Pack, look at the wrists. crazy_o.gif

Imagine good old OFP with units in a quality of BAS, FDF, RHS, DKM and all the other teams addons.

Gras,trees and bushes who dont look like flat textures, water that reflects everything nicely... what else could we need smile_o.gif

Totally agree. The other thing besides what you said I would hope for is for some of the physics problems (boucing tanks, clipping, ect) can be mended too.

Well improved physics are a must, something like the havoc engine would be cool, think about soldiers leaning dead on a wall or hanging from buildings... killed tank crews fall into their tank... sure sounds morbid but for example in Max Payne 2 this havoc engine was damn impressive.

Not to mention features like firing from vehicles, having more than one gunner on a vehicle or load vehicles into/on other vehicles as transport, played Joint Operations a lot lately and its so much fun to fly around with a Helicopter and a dozent guys in it firing out of the doors with all they have.

About the wrist probs Friedchicken mentioned, well a skelleton system would cure that, im sure BIS will implement it anything else would be stupid...

Well improved physics are a must, something like the havoc engine would be cool, think about soldiers leaning dean on a wall or hanging from buiuldings... shot tank crews fall into their tank... sure sounds morbd but for example in Max Payne 2 this havoc engine was damn impressive.

But such physics are very cpu intensive, i dont think it would be possible to implement them in OPF, but i can imgine a huge battle with many soldiers and havoc's physics, would look awsome smile_o.gif .

I think it will be quite a challenge for BIS to make OPF2, they must look at AKM74's vit apc pack and think how the hell they are gonna do better tounge_o.gif .

OFP1 is verry scaleable (viewdistance slider, terraindetail etc.)

I change settings all the time depending on the mission.

This is a reason why I like the engine so much.

Eye candy stuff like grass, ragdoll models etc. should be switch on/off-able. If you fly a plane you do not need it, if you prepare an ambush it would be nice to have!