Sign in to follow this  
Pappy Boyington

Y2K3 - Updated Ofp Config.

I've found one problem with the official mission Vulcan.  Right after the cutscene when you start sitting on the beach there's some sort of huge memory leak that occurs... The game immediatly begins to slow down and within 4 minutes the game terminates with a windows error saying the program ran out of memory.

I had a similar problem with that mission. Do you know if it only happens with Y2K3?

Yeah, I tried Vulcan twice with the latest release of eECP and it works fine with that one.

my uncle was hit by a drunk driver last night so my "Trip" has been pushed back a few hours. . .

@smoke grenades: ill look into that soon. . .i didnt do it before cuz smoke grenades lag like a bitch as is. . throw in a model (that the game has to load) and it wouldnt help performance

@M1911: the one in HEP's pack is nice. except it cant hit shit, its centering, its sight, everything is off by a mile. . even at point blank that thing doesnt hit where your aimin. thats why im usin EC's cuz its just as good looking, same fautres, now the same sound, the only difereance is. . EC's colt actualy hits what your aiming at smile_o.gif

@Vulcan Mission: i have only one speculation to this, its the same speculation that kept me from wanting to play it. back in the 1.75 days. . i played that mission. . and it wasnt too CPU freindly then either. . .i estimated about 150+ units/troops. about 15 tanks, and lets not forget about then 10 choppers. . . this. . . was a very very very poorly made mission. . . but then again we speak of the same people who made "battlefeild" mission crazy_o.gif so CPU freindly missions is not in thier vocabulary apprently

im goin to eat dinner now. bbs

alright folks im off now for tonight into tomorrow. . .ill be home tomorrow evening Eastern Standard Time.

lil note before i go: i do belive that ive acomplished the smoke blocks AI. i tested it by putting a squad of east troops ont eh desert island. . threw a smoke down. . and ran into it. . popin another blocking my running path. . now when i ran out they did seem rather "surprised" as my reappereance. . . but dont forget now we are talkin about the same AI that half the time lets you walk right up to it without fireing a shot at you. . and the other half of the time hitting you int he head form the other end of the island. . .

small bug with the AI smoke block. . .same with any "obstruction" once the AI have you aquired. . .they will know exactly where you are. . .you know how when the AI leader says "target solder" and you have yellow box that shows the guys postion. . . well they have the same thing. . so once they see you all the smoke in the world will not save you.

will update when i get back and do more testing

hey pappy, any chance of including kegetys hisky into the y2k3 mod, because it doesn't work as a seperate mod crazy_o.gif

btw, any chance of changing the machinegunner from the bas m240 to earl a suchey's m249 SAW?

Amazing work pappy, this mod pretty much has every feature that comes to mind from other units vehicles etc, included. However im surprised by the fact that nobody ever mentioned the way the grenades are thrown, if anyone has ever played the pack liberation 1945 their grenades are hurled in the air spining and bounce on the floor before exploding. I know ecp has timed grenades but would love to have that effect instead of the static looking bis one while in mid air.

just a dumb minute detail.. But details is what this mod is all about after all

Well they bounce a bit on the ground yes, but also they spin on the air instead of keeping the upstraight angle.

Now i have no idea if this is scripting integrated into the models of what but its just a little suggestion pappy has done other stuff so much more impressive. Maybe he can include this too if its possible.

cheers

hey pappy, any chance of including kegetys hisky into the y2k3 mod, because it doesn't work as a seperate mod crazy_o.gif

btw, any chance of changing the machinegunner from the bas m240 to earl a suchey's  m249 SAW?

@hisky: just move the DTA files form the kisky/DTA folder into the Y2K3/DTA folder. . or run the llaumax sky installer in the beta pack, replace the sky model and textures with his and run it. that wil install NVGs, sky, night sky, moon, and water

@machine gunner: i belive in my last release i changed that. . .i dont like the 240 either. .ive been using the 249 since i first suggested it. .so now yall do too smile_o.gif

@bouncing grenades: not possible in OFP. .at least not with some serious modding and its really not 'worth' it just for a minute detail wink_o.gif

now that im back im gonna spend tonight testing the smoke nades a bit more. . cuz like i said i THINK i achived it but it requires more testing to ensure the AI doesnt see me

You using the sounds I gave you?

i used a simaler glock sound, different db and without the static. but basicly the same sound

berretta 92 is form sjb's handgun pack

glock is from a wav site (simapler to the one u gave me)

and the rest are takin from the battlefeild insane sound pack smile_o.gif

ok well the AI blinding smoke prolly wont be in this game at all. . .

first i tried my theroy. . .then i tried the actualy JAM smoke grenade. . . jsut equiping myself with the weapon. . .

then i tried EECP just to test its blinding smoke in game. . .

Results:

My Theroy: AI saw me, shot me, killed me

Jam Smoke Grenade: AI saw me, shot me, killed me

EECP: AI saw me, shot me, killed me.

im convinced all efforts to blind AI are futile

ill leave my theroy in the config becuz it works the same. . when you are using the smokeshell it activates the "man_popsmoke" script which is how it blinds the AI (supposedly)

so if the whole AI blinding thing is at all real. . then it wil be in the next version. . . but after all tests run on the blinding smoke thing. .im convinced throuly that it doesnt work at all sad_o.gif

on the subject of the config, i wanted to release the next version on teh 25th, but i fear the trucks i need wont be ready by then, the humvees i need wont be ready by then, and lastly the new version of ECP which includes the save game bug fix.

umm i should warn you now tho that if theres any new config changes in the new ECP, thers a good chance they wont be in Y2K3 cuz that means id have to sit down and start ALLLLL over again. ..and i want to release the final version asap. . OFP2 will be out 'soon' and im not gonna make you all wait 3 months for me to reimplement ECP. i feel confident enough that this version of Y2K3 includes enough realisum effects that covers all bases. on the other hand: i have been able to finnaly execute the ECP_Effects init script. . which means that if they do add any more effects via that script it will easily carry over. but the latest ECP function i want is the save game bug fixed and this mod should be set to roll as final smile_o.gif

Ah shucks...no bouncing grenades? oh well i had to try sad_o.gif

anyways you might want to look at the liberation 1941-45 pack if you havent pappy http://ofp.gamezone.cz/_hosted/lib4145/libdownloads02.htm

download it give it a try maybe youll like it if you havent seen it. The effect is not only eye candy but very exciting in battle where as u see the nade roll towards u before exploding maybe giving u a chance to escape its explosion.

Anyway with or without it this is still my favorite mod.

THanks for your hard work

Well I believe I've discovered what's causing the slowing down in the Vulcan mission.  I decided to give the eECP mod a good try out (which runs the Vulcan mission fine), but I wanted to keep your combined explosions and gun smoke.  

First I poked around and figured out where your gun smoke scripting was and that transfered over fine.  Then I went through and saw where you had the 'Class EventHandler... GMR Check_dammage....' lines and copied them over one by one to each applicaple spot in the eECP script (pluss the other GMR explosion related lines).  And now eECP behaves just like Y2K3 in Vulcan (also in the intro portion of the Retaliation campaign).

So instead what I'm going to do now is rip out the GMR references of your script and go back to using yours, just with no uber-explosions.

Anyways, this is not meant to come across as bitching, just informing.  I definitly do think the combined explosions rock, but it's hammering any campaign missions that use alot of vehicles. sad_o.gif

Oh and in all other respects the combined explosions where working fine in eECP, like in the Bomberman mission it ran nice and smooth and everything blew up all nice like.

well again. . . any mission with alot of vehicals will lag. . .but in this case its thier presseance and the scripts that drag it down then?

well i thank you for sheding some light on this  smile_o.gif

id be inclined to try and resolve this issue, but i cant stand ECP dull dark orange puffs as oppsed to GMR's bright orange fires. there might be a way to turn off GMR for certian missions via trigger but im not sure i gotta look into it

Edit: i think if you put in a game logic or something that has

GMR_Start = false

it might turn it off? i dunno its jsut speculation

Well keep in mind I've never coded for OpFlash before now (infact I've been playing OpFlash since it was released completely oblivious to the mod scene till about 2 weeks ago thinking what was posted on Avon's FAQ was all there was, it's like X-Mass for me right now smile_o.gif ).

Taking out the GMR explosion checks did the trick.  I'm guessing just based on the syntax that what's happening is there is a constant loop occuring to check if the vehicle has been destroyed for each vehicle, and it's this constant check that's causing the slowing down?  

My plucking out is a bit ugly, now I get a /GMR/Chopper_dust.sqs in missing in that mission.  I also get in big bold white letters "Disembarked" in the middle of the screen every 2 minutes or so.  Don't know if I did that lol.

Though your against it, I would definitly appreciate an alternate un-GMR explosion config.   You're attempt would be much cleaner  crazy_o.gif  Otherwise I'll keep working on it myself.

edit:

Quote[/b] ]Edit: i think if you put in a game logic or something that has

GMR_Start = false

it might turn it off? i dunno its jsut speculation

I'm probably not the one who will figure out the proper syntax for that one.  Unless that IS the syntax... I'll give it a shot.

the bold letters will be fixed int eh next version. . thats the raft that allows the pilots to float if they bail out over water

gmr chooper dust is prolly somethin you did cuz i dont use it  crazy_o.gif

and you may have a point. . the constantly looping check dammage scripts. . . if you change that form an init eventhandler. . oh never mind ill make some changes see what happens

brb

edit: i did use gmr chooper dust. . just leave your gmr.pbo in there to prevent that errror message

ok tested and it seems as my theory worked. . .

now the question is. . . does this fix YOUR problem?

give me about 15 20 minutes to rebin both exploding bodies and non exploding bodies config. . and fix the raft.pbo and then ill upload it and you can see if this new fix works

GMR.pbo was left in as I saw usage of it for other things, and I left unstrategic buildings and gas stations alone concerning explosions (they seemed to have a less complicated method of checking for an explosion).  The problem is related more to my lack of surgical skill.

Thanks for looking into fixing it.

[Edit] Sweet! I'll stick around and test it ASAP. biggrin_o.gif

alright lil buddy. the configs are uploaded. so redownload the XY2K3 configs

the raft.pbo is in the XY2K3 beta pack which im uploading now. that will be ready in 30 minutes. but the configs are ready now

heres what i did. . and i hope you understand this. .

GMR was read as an initial eventhandler (init) which means, as you said, it loops reading it over and over and over again. . .

i changed it to a killed eventhandler meanign it will ONLY read the script if the said vehical is dead (health=0.9999)

so basicly now it will ONLY check for GMR script when a car, plane, truck, ect is dead, then run once it has been killed. . .

now i tested this. .and the GMR fires are still there. . but i only tested it on a T72, a UAZ, and a URAL Fuel (for big large fire), and an Su25. and all seemed to die with GMR fire still. and the game did seem a bit/tad more faster then usual. . and my dear boy if this does in fact work/help you will deffenitly get your name int he credits list of the final version for helping me to make this project a bit more CPU freindly as is smile_o.gif

Note: the bmp doesnt seem to like to die with gmr fire cuz its a mean SOB tounge_o.gif

I'm all over this... brb

BY GOD MAN... YOU'VE SUCCESFULY SPLICED TOGETHER ECP WITH GMR DNA!!! DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS!?!?!!

Anyways, hellz'ya the mission runs just as smooth as anyother kick ass total conversion mod now!

I'll play around a little more but I suspect all the big booms are GMR'ish in nature.

I'm all over this... brb

BY GOD MAN... YOU'VE SUCCESFULY SPLICED TOGETHER ECP WITH GMR DNA!!!  DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS!?!?!!

Anyways, hellz'ya the mission runs just as smooth as anyother kick ass total conversion mod now!

I'll play around a little more but I suspect all the big booms are GMR'ish in nature.

sweet smile_o.gif that means that the game should run much smoother now for other PC's smile_o.gif

thank you for not only suggesting the idea. . or i should say inspiring it. . but like i said you discovered the cause and helped me to be able to make this a bit more CPU freindly smile_o.gif

i never woulda thought to change the init to a killed EH for GMR.

thanks for testing that too

PS: the beta pack is reuploaded with the new raft.pbo in it that should get rid of that disembarked message on your screen

Well in all my mucking around I must have removed the GMR.pbo from the addons directory after all.  I kept seeing error messages concering GMR scripts so I checked and it was missing.  Now that I've put it back Vulcan goes back to being a slide show sad_o.gif  Though it actualy is improved, I can get closer to the Vulcan's in the jeep before it chockes.  

Update:  I have found where the problem is occuring!

If you go into the .cpp file and do a Find for "Class Plane"  the lines immediatly above the first hit you get with that search contain the problem area...

Quote[/b] ]{

engine="if (_this select 1) then {[_this select 0] exec ""\GMR\helidust.sqs""}";

init="_this exec ""\ECP_Effects\init.sqs""";

fired="_this call ECP_EH_handler";

killed="[_this select 0] exec ""\GMR\check_dammage_chopper.sqs""";

incomingMissile = "if ((_this select 0)==(_this select 0)) then {[_this] exec {\BAS_MAH60\ECM\EastCM.sqs},[_this] exec {\BAS_MAH60\ECM\WestCM.sqs},[_this select 0] exec {\BAS_MAH60\ECM\flares.sqs}}";

};

I I remove the first 3 lines so it reads...

Quote[/b] ]class EventHandlers

{

killed="[_this select 0] exec ""\GMR\check_dammage_chopper.sqs""";

incomingMissile = "if ((_this select 0)==(_this select 0)) then {[_this] exec {\BAS_MAH60\ECM\EastCM.sqs},[_this] exec {\BAS_MAH60\ECM\WestCM.sqs},[_this select 0] exec {\BAS_MAH60\ECM\flares.sqs}}";

};

The Vulcan mission runs beautifuly.  I don't have time to narrow it down further right now, but that is DEFINITLY causing it to bog down. And by that I mean it runs at around 3 fps as opposed to completely playable frame rates (this is on a very high end system).

This solved the problem with the Vulcan mission and the cutscene in Retailiation, so I'm pretty sure the problem is with this one unit.

Hope this helps.  I'm crashing out...

a tiny an unimportant thing:

WEST-Pilot doesn't use TIMED Grenades

..... didn't th ehelo pilots had M4s ..... or did you change it to handguns now