Sign in to follow this  
Black Knight

Old enough to kill,

Don't know if this was talked about before but I saw this on television a while ago. Canadian soldiers under the age of 21 that were placed within US bases overseas could not purchase any alcoholic drinks. The law in Canada is that you have to be 18-19 years old to purchase alcohol, and since they were stationed in a US base, they had to regulate by the US law, which is 21… This whole thing sounded a little silly and made me think about it for a sec. “You are old enough to kill, but not old enough to have a drink or two after all they’ve been through and are still doing. crazy_o.gif This goes for all the soldiers from every country that were/are effected by this. I am aware that there are a lot of stupid laws out there but common! A 20-year-old soldier 8000km+ away from home risking his life for his country wants a drink then give him a drink dammit! unclesam.gif Maybe this is just my personal opinion. What do you guys think about this?

A drunken soldier with a gun doesn't sound very good to me.

Yes but soldiers over 21 get their drinks right? So its indeed stupid that he is old enough to shoot someones brains out but not old enough to have a drink.

A drunken Kegetys with a Gun isent good to wink_o.gif

'

But I think: Give the lads their Drink It Could be their last one right?

He should be old enough to do both, just not at the same time. One has to be eliminated, and since he is placed in an army base, why not keep him from drinking?

A drunken Kegetys with a Gun isent good to  wink_o.gif

I dont drink nor do I own a gun :P (Except an air rifle but its hardly dangerous)

The rules / laws should apply to all, ´different matter though is should you guys allow to start drinking at th age of 18 already?

During mission you have strict regulations on alcohol.

At least we have. One can of beer per day is maximum. It´s a security problem.

I also do understand that troops living together in one camp can´t have different rules. This would only lead to envy and anger among those who don´t share the benfits.

If you are in a mission there is no reason to drink. It´s for your own benefit not to do it. Imagine different climate -> different body reaction on alcohol. Imagine 24 hours duty during missions. Means you have to be prepared 24 hours a day. Attackers don´t ask you if you are a bit slowhand because you had some beers. It´s your duty to protect yourself and your comrades no matter what.

Security first.

You can have barrels of beer when you return home.

If you are in a mission there is no reason to drink. It´s for your own benefit not to do it. Imagine different climate -> different body reaction on alcohol. Imagine 24 hours duty during missions. Means you have to be prepared 24 hours a day. Attackers don´t ask you if you are a bit slowhand because you had some beers. It´s your duty to protect yourself and your comrades no matter what.

Security first.

You can have barrels of beer when you return home.

Yes I understand, I would also "NOT" allow drinking before or during a mission either, but after a mission having a beer or two at base while eating your meal just before you go to sleep shouldn't do much harm.

Yes I understand, I would also "NOT" allow drinking before or during a mission either, but after a mission having a beer or two at base while eating your meal just before you go to sleep shouldn't do much harm.

I don't know in which country the soldiers are placed, but since you said he was "risking his life for his country", I would say his stay is a continious mission, in which there should be no place for drinking.

Actually I see absolutely no reason to allow alcoholic drinks during service or at the base! Beer can easily be substituted with other non-acoholic drinks or alcohol-free beer.

Quote[/b] ] but after a mission having a beer or two at base while eating your meal just before you go to sleep shouldn't do much harm.

Well even during your sleep there can be alarms. I don´t want to work with someone who had 2 beers before he grabs his gun in a country that his body is not used to.

What´s the fuzz about ?

If there is so much need for some beer you have a problem with alcohol wink_o.gif

If you have a problem with alcohol you should not carry a weapon.

I remember one time where I was on mission that took place from december to march. We got a glass of champagne at 31 of december. Although I was only 1 month on duty at that time and I´m used to drink alcohol at home the single glass made me and my comrades go whoopy. If an attack would have happened that night I bet there would have been some accidents and other nasty things.

YOu have to remeber that you are not only responsible for yourself but also for your comrades, no matter if you drive/fly a vehicle or use regular weapons. If errors happen in military they often end very bad. Even minimal amounts of alcohol alter your ability to judge situations and slow down your speed of reaction.

Keep your hand off alcohol when you operate weapons, vehicles or have responsibility for others.

That´s a must, not an option.

If they are on an american base apparantly its american laws,I live 6 miles from Canada border and people under 21 go to Canada to drink because its 18 there.So if the americans were on a canadian base they would be able to drink if they were over 18.Doesn't sound fair but if they are under 21 they won't be visiting an american base to drink.

If I were canadian government,I wouldn't have helped americans without setting some conditions first,

I don't know in which country the soldiers are placed, but since you said he was "risking his life for his country", I would say his stay is a continious mission, in which there should be no place for drinking.

Well I was talking about Iraq to be more specific, I don’t know how it is in other places…

Quote[/b] ]Actually I see absolutely no reason to allow alcoholic drinks during service or at the base! Beer can easily be substituted with other non-acoholic drinks or alcohol-free beer

That’s another point. Why not just ban alcohol for everyone during service or at a base?

Quote[/b] ]I remember one time where I was on mission that took place from december to march. We got a glass of champagne at 31 of december. Although I was only 1 month on duty at that time and I´m used to drink alcohol at home the single glass made me and my comrades go whoopy. If an attack would have happened that night I bet there would have been some accidents and other nasty things.

I guess if the risk of being attacked is high then no alcohol should be available to anyone. It all depends on where you are and how high the risk is, ... there is always risk in war…

Quote[/b] ]YOu have to remeber that you are not only responsible for yourself but also for your comrades, no matter if you drive/fly a vehicle or use regular weapons. If errors happen in military they often end very bad. Even minimal amounts of alcohol alter your ability to judge situations and slow down your speed of reaction.

yes that is a fact.

A drunken Kegetys with a Gun isent good to  wink_o.gif

I dont drink nor do I own a gun :P (Except an air rifle but its hardly dangerous)

Kegetys with a air-rifle sounds dangerous enough to me  crazy_o.gif

I think people are losing sight of the real issue here: that these soldiers are being forced to adhere to the standards of the americans as opposed to their own. Its not about allowing soldiers to *get drunk* - its about the rules of their own country vs the somewhat uptight rules of america.

I don't think any soldiers should be getting drunk when on deployment...but having one beer after a hard day *is* currently allowed- so stop argueing about that.

They shouldn't drink when on duty but when everyone is allowed to drink (everyone above 21) then i don't see why some 20 year old soldier wouldn't be allowed to touch a beer...

Those damn laws!

Here in Belgium you can drink alcohol at pretty much every age smile_o.gif Just walk into a shop, buy a bottle and drink it smile_o.gif

The law says you have to be 16 years old (i think, might be 18 too but i think it's 16)... well... you should be 16 years old before being allowed to enter a bar but i bet you'll have a hard time finding a bar where ppl are being refused because they're 15 years old smile_o.gif

Nobody asks how old you are, if you buy something, nobody gives a damn smile_o.gif

OK i doubt they'll give alcohol to 10 year old kids but still, 21 is a bit too old if you ask me...

None of my friends have drinking problems and none of them get drunk a lot... We're about 16 years old and have a lot of opportunity to booze a lot and still we are able to control it so i don't see why it can't be the same in other countries. Yeah sure, when we go to a party we might be a little tipsy (sp?) but there's nothing wrong with that...

As long as it doesn't happen whole the time...

Ok there also are some ppl who drink too much at a young age but you always have those kind of exceptions...

Isn't an armybase part of the territory of the owner of the base instead of the country it is placed in? That way, it would be pretty logic the guy wasn't allowed to drink; US territory, US rules...

Isn't an armybase part of the territory of the owner of the base instead of the country it is placed in? That way, it would be pretty logic the guy wasn't allowed to drink; US territory, US rules...

yup.

An Official armybase placed with the consent of the host country, yes. A bit of land an invading army has decided to put a temporary base on, no.

legally they cant get a drink, but around military bases all over US it is quite easy to get any drink you want. Shit all my friend has to do is stick his arm out and show them his operation Iraqi Freedom tatoo and he gets drinks half price. I do believe it is stupid that someone serving thier country, which means able to die at any moment, cant get a drink legally. Its one of those stupid US laws started by those evil liberals. mad_o.gifwink_o.gif

An Official armybase placed with the consent of the host country, yes.  A bit of land an invading army has decided to put a temporary base on, no.

If the army is invading, then the land they occupy belongs to the country that is invading!!

An Official armybase placed with the consent of the host country, yes.  A bit of land an invading army has decided to put a temporary base on, no.

Ok, so suppose we're talking Iraq here, so the second one. I still think it isn't absurd a US base in a by US invaded country holds US legislation.

If the army is invading, then the land they occupy belongs to the country that is invading!!

Yeah, that would be the traditional idea. But with all the politics and international communities lately, "invading" isn't what it used to be.

Here's the thing. When I was 19 and in the Army, I got drunk every night in my base in Germany (Hohenfels). At the time, it was OK because we were going by German law, which said that younger people could consume alcohol. On bases in the US, I could not drink at bars or purchase alcohol unless I was over 21 or knew the bouncer/Staff NCO on duty that night.

In the Middle East, where the Canadians probably are located, there is no alcohol allowed anywhere for anyone. Bahrain is the only exception to this, I believe, as I clearly remember buying booze there (the rest of the night is a hazy memory, though). This is probably what the Canadians are upset about - they're probably in Afghanistan, where no alcohol is allowed at all (unless you make it yourself, which is really easy to do) or somewhere else where even the lazy bastards in the Air Force don't get to drink.