Sign in to follow this  
MK1

Betio (tarawa atoll)

Hi,

I'm currently working on Betio island (part of Tarawa Atoll) which is a new island. I've started the whole thing from scratch and based it as closely as possible to the original map. The scale should be pretty close to the real thing. I won't be making the island completely identical as it's almost impossible but the shape and terrain will be there. I have very detailed pics (all roads, houses & bunkers included) as reference.

The process is progressing nicely. I've textured the whole thing and just started working on the elevation. Objects & roads will be after that. Expect some screenshots later on.

The island will feature apart from "realistic" environments the airfield, the harbour and the pier. I'm also going to make the assault beaches look like ones (ie. arty craters, burned trees etc.) but the rest will be left for the players. Textures will be based on the ones from BIS, Iloilo and Ia Trang. Dunno if I could recude them to BIS and one 'nam island only.

Anyway, I'm not part of any mod team at the moment, but I'd be happy to incorporate. If someone's making some nice LVTs, coastal cannons, bunkers and trenches I'd be very interested.

Here's a screenshot of the map:

Betio.jpg

No offense, but it's usually better to texture after doing the elevation, not before smile_o.gif

Other than that...good luck biggrin_o.gif

Well, of course the basic island elevation is there, but what I meant was I'm working on improving the beaches and adding some small elevation changes like small hills. I've had to texture some parts again due to elevation, but I find it best to do them both at the same time.

The map is converted from the original Betio/Tarawa map thru Wilbur into WRPTool (and what a mighty fine tool it is) so the island is about the size of the real thing. Actually I think mine's a bit bigger, but that's due to the engine limitations.

Check this for reference.

I'd head over to WWIIEC website. Bratty has a Pacific division over there. I am currently working one of my old projects again of Iwo Jima using a similar map such as yours (currently placing roads & trails) which I hope to have through them eventually. Curious but which other island are you going to use for your objects or are you going to create your own? I'm not sure at the moment which addon has the best looking pacific feel to it.

I've added roads too. Trails are still missing though. I've been using textures from both BIS (dead trees, small bushes, rocks) and Iloilo/Sebnam islands. Those are the closest to the Pacific feel I have, but I have to say I'm not too satisfied how they look. It's not quite what I want.

The problem is that I don't know how to make textures myself so I'm depending on other islands. One thing I'm currently missing the most are palm trees. I don't have a single palm object and Iloilo has a forest object with palms but they look too dense. Anyone willing to donate some palm trees? smile_o.gif

I found this mod to have land textures and palms as close as possible to what I'm looking for.

Duh! I've been using an old version of Ilo ilo and noticed that the new one has a nice set of palms and bushes. Thanks to that, I've made quite a lot of progress: most of the vegetation is there and all the elevations have been set.

The "jungle" is quite dense and makes a great challenge for AI players and human players alike. I've had some good experiments with beach landings troops being fired from the woods.

Now I'll move on to adding buildings, objects  and smaller trails leading to them. I should be able to release a beta version in few weeks if all goes well.

In the meanwhile some more eyecandy:

-- VERY dated images removed --

Those palmtrees have not all been hand-placed, are they? I hope you made yourself an addon so they are tiled like woods? Otherwize it will be demanding as hell.

Screenshots look very nice. Although I would reccomend some more ground vegetation like bushes in the jungle part. Just to make it even more dence.

Also I wouldnt put so many "beach palms" like that all the way insed the island. You need some more jungle type trees with lots of low bushes and lower palms. Low thick and heavy amounts of small plants/ grass are necessary for inland, please mdo this please, I beg you. I also have an idea for all island makers. On all beaches makes textures change going upwards, it would add much to the island. But anyways enough of my ranting, you are doing a wonderful job, keep it up.

Looks very nice, especially the palm trees, they're the best looking OFP palm tree's I've seen. smile_o.gif

Thanks for the feedback, but come on guys, it's an ATOLL and it's suppose to be small and the "jungle's" not suppose to be too dense. smile_o.gif

I've tried to make it look as close to the original as possible: the size of the model is a bit bigger than the real thing and in pictures of the real one palms are even closer to water than in mine, and that's the way I intend to keep it too.

The palms have not been handplaced, but I don't want to make them into forest objects. I've tested the map and so far there's no real slow down (at least on my comp, which is not top notch). And yes, I do intend to place more ground vegetation like grass and smaller bushes so we'll see..

About the objects, those are the only ones I have and thus have to use them in all areas of the island.

Here are some pictures of the real atoll for comparsion:

Betio 1

Betio 2

Betio 3

So as you can see, the woods don't look that dense at all.

thought i'd revive this topic again.

it was about a year ago when i first posted about the betio island i was making, but stopped working on it for several reasons (seb nam textures didn't quite look the way i wanted the island to look like, no development on any pacific stuff during that time just to name few reasons).

after seeing some progress on the "ofp pacific front" i decided to start again. and here's what's new and coming up so far:

- completely new set of textures that fit the setting which i've made myself.

- historically very accurate detail (all buildings, barriers etc.)

- "the pier" in it's actual size and probably the longest in ofp ;)

- a coral reef surrounding the island so the water level will be very low.

- a working airfield.

what has been made so far:

- the island model and elevations

- textures

- the pier and a "harbour"

i've started the island from a scratch so all the old screenshots are dated. i've included a new one here as a teaser. not much, but something.

now, to maintain the accuracy of the island i'd need some help. i'm currently lacking certain objects for the island that haven't been made for ofp yet. these are such as log walls & barricades, pacific style bunkers, tank traps and fire trenches. i'd also need some grass objects to fit the textures.

i can supply the textures for all of those, but i'm really in need of a modeller to help me as i'm working on this alone. it really shouldn't be a big deal for anyone skilled in modelling.

more stuff should follow shortly as i'm making progress pretty well..

Looking good! The new screenshot definately fits well smile_o.gif. Good luck with this and I can't wait for a release!

If you need a beta tester or file host, feel free to contact me smile_o.gif.

well, i suppose the big wheel has started to roll and things are progerssing. a little update on my behalf:

- the complete road system on the island is complete

- burns-philip wharf completed

- the whole coral reef with it's barricades has been completed. the player might have to wade their way to the shore if the tide is "right" since higgins boats will be stuck on the sand.

i hooked up with a person kindly helping my with objects so the island will (probably) come with a complete new set of pacific style objects (and textures of course).

no screenshots yet, but look for another topic by me for something new ;)