Sign in to follow this  
ralphwiggum

The Iraq thread 3

The Taleban are not any more or less Muslim than 'moderates...' what they want may not be moderate, but its not less Muslim.

And who are to say that, oh wise scholar? Attributing people who oppress women and ban any technology what so ever to muslims?

Hmmm it all depends on where you are coming from. To thier eyes, they are probably the pure muslims, to other muslims, they are probably a disgrace to the religion (i know a freind of mine who is muslim holds this view), to the majority of the western world they are "Muslim extremists", and to the Bush government, they are the same as any other Muslims (as in, all muslims are extremists)....

Something completely different:

Today in the Washington Post

Quote[/b] ]In Iraqi Homes, A Constant Battle Just to Stay Cool

Energy Rationing Prompts Rudimentary Alternatives

By Pamela Constable

Washington Post Foreign Service

Wednesday, July 28, 2004; Page A01

BAGHDAD, July 27 -- In the oppressive swelter of the Iraqi summer, where temperatures reach 110 degrees by morning rush hour, life in thousands of run-down apartments and shops in this once-modern capital revolves around a primitive routine for heat survival.

This is the second summer since the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, and people here widely expected power to be restored by now. Instead, the city's electricity shuts off four or five times a day under a government energy-rationing scheme while officials struggle to revive a power system ravaged by war, vandalism and years of neglect.

Full article

Second summer since the invasion and still no descent electricity, that sucks when it's 110 degrees crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]"We are trying to be fair, and we are doing much better than last year," Electricity Minister Aiham Alsammarae said in an interview. "Our lines can carry the bulk of power with no problem, but the plants are old and poorly maintained, and the terrorists keep hitting us. We can produce 5,200 megawatt hours now, but to keep everyone happy, we need to produce 7,500."

Alsammarae noted that most electricity was being provided free, because it has not been safe to monitor use or collect fees. He also said many poorer consumers had stolen power with hand-rigged cables, while many wealthier ones had purchased air conditioners and run them at full blast, putting a heavy drain on the system.

Quote[/b] ]

Across town, in a more modern building, a family was watching television Friday when the power cut off. A teenage boy rose from the couch, flipped on a generator switch, and the cartoons flickered back to life. His uncle said he thought people complained too much about minor postwar problems such as lack of electricity.

"At least we have freedom now," said Haider Jawad, 40, an electrician. "My brother was executed by Saddam in 1983, and when I bought a satellite receiver in 2000, I was always terrified of a knock on the door" because such devices were illegal.

"People should be patient and give the government time to work on these problems," he said. "Compared to the past, a little hot weather is nothing."

Source ?

You should know already that sources are an obligation when posting articles or excepts from articles. So pls do so.

Quote[/b] ]Source ?

You should know already that sources are an obligation when posting articles or excepts from articles. So pls do so.

My bad! Those excepts are from that washington post article....

Quote[/b] ]Across town, in a more modern building  family was watching television Friday when the power cut off. A teenage boy rose from the couch, flipped on a generator switch

Another white ball for the Coallition effort in Iraq.Famillies living in modern buildings that have their own generators experience absolutly no electricity shortage.

Reminds me of that old special tabel highliting that 99% of the Iraqi population is still alive after the war.Positive news all the way  wink_o.gif

This article is simply the cherry on top of everything going wrong today.

Corruption, abuse surface in new Iraqi police force

Quote[/b] ]BAGHDAD, Iraq -- As Iraq's police fight furiously to win control of the country's lawless streets, they are also displaying abuse, corruption and absenteeism, often from cops hired with little screening under the former U.S.-led occupation.

To address the problems, a new committee of Iraqis and foreign advisers is expected to start reviewing the force in September. It will use $60 million in U.S. money to fire and pay severance packages for an estimated 30,000 police, about a quarter of the current force, said Dan Waddington, an American who is a senior adviser to the Iraqi Interior Ministry.

Iraqi officials say many of the officers to be fired were hired just months ago as U.S. administrator for Iraq L. Paul Bremer rushed to fill the ranks of the security forces. The payment is seen as necessary to make them go quietly.

The police force has been increasingly visible and active since the United States handed over sovereign powers to Iraq June 28, despite being targeted by car-bombers and assassins, which have killed hundreds of police officers.

Iraqis, craving law and order after months of chaos, have largely praised recent police sweeps through crime-ridden neighborhoods. But along the way, police have beaten and imprisoned large numbers of innocent bystanders and killed at least one with errant gunfire.

Police officials are suspected of stocking their ranks with relatives and absenteeism is estimated as high as 40 percent, according to Waddington. Police in special intelligence units tell reporters they are afraid to ask for help from rank-and-file policemen for upcoming raids in fear they will sell the information to criminals.

The Interior Ministry's internal affairs department has filed 80 criminal charges against police, officials said. But oversight at the ministry is also hindered by a dispute between two men who claim title as the ministry's inspector general.

The early performance of the police raises questions about the ability of the new government of interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi to reform the country following the U.S.-led defeat of the brutal, dictatorial regime of Saddam Hussein.

"Just about anyone will tell you that we weren't really ready to turn over (power) when we did, but it just had to be done," said Waddington, a former police officer from upstate New York. "In an absolutely perfect world, we would have had another year of total control."

Rebuilding the police force was a priority of the American-led coalition. With great fanfare, former New York police commissioner Bernard Kerik headed up the hiring of thousands of police, some new and others with experience under the former regime.

But Iraqi and American officials now say that police recruited last year were usually hired without background checks and without confirmation of their identities.

"Some of the guys (hired) who said they knew a lot about the police, they knew a lot because they had been arrested a dozen times," Waddington said.

Widespread rumors and a report quoting anonymous sources in an Australian newspaper allege that Allawi himself executed several prisoners in an Iraqi police station last month. Many Iraqis have reacted favorably to the rumors, saying such brutal measures are necessary to combat the wave of terrorism in the country. Allawi and U.S. Embassy officials say the reports are false and Waddington said he does not believe the rumors. But he said he and other advisers are considering checking the rumors to assure that the new Iraq is not starting off like the old one.

Iraqi officials acknowledged that the ranks of the police are flush with cops who should be removed. But they said the first priority is stopping the car bombers, assassins, kidnapping gangs and carjackers who have acted with brazen ruthlessness since the fall of the Saddam regime 16 months ago.

The U.S. military, in its effort to deal with crime and insurgency, also detained thousands of innocents during its occupation of the country.

"We really are in the throes of a massive reorganization of the police," said Ministry of Interior spokesman Sabah Kadhim. "Let's say some excesses will happen but in the situation of the next few months we will have to tolerate them."

In opinion polls and tea shop conversations, Iraqis list security as their biggest problem. They want the police out arresting criminals and most care little about how they are treated.

But public support for the police could turn sour as more innocent victims result from police abuses.

Waddington said he and other police advisers seek to influence Iraqi police to adhere to standards of human rights by enticing them with aid money and new equipment. But he said it will be up to the Iraqis to decide the extent of force police can use as the country struggles to establish a representative and democratic government.

Will Iraqis feel they are being protected by the police, or that they need protection from the police?

"The other day, they arrested some thieves in my neighborhood. I was so happy I got out of my car and kissed the officer," said Ahmed al-Hadithi, 22, who works for a transport company that drives people to Jordan.

But his happiness turned to anger a few days later, when he saw police beating a young man who had failed to pull his car out of their way. "They made him bleed from his nose and mouth. He was just a young boy."

I could have forseen a better title for this article "Iraqi policemans-the proud,the few,the missing,the curropted"

Regardless of that let`s start doing the maths.Of 120,000 Iraqi policemans 50,000 are absent 30,000 are about to get layed off which leaves us at a stunishing measly highly debatable number of 40,000 devoted policemans that should stop the military experienced Iraqi insurgents across Iraq.

Not quite refreshing for your average Ali that full heartedly wants to move pass this horrid ruthless war,isn`t it?

But as a calming breeze for the worried Ali comes the anouncement that under no circumstances will the layed off Iraqis joined the resistance as every single one of their corrupt beings will recive a part of the staggering(atleast for him) sum of 60 million dollars being attributed by the generosity of the new Iraqi government.

And now a subsequent use of the most simple logics for the sake of being positive will most likely lead you to the conclusion that there are no such thing as Iraqi security forces being overruned by insurgents because of their lack of equipment when the government goes on a spending spree just to assure the comfortability of policemans geting layed off.

Let`s just be sure to keep this as low profile as possible as we needn`t enigmatic unproductive questions bogging people`s minds such as "But hey who is paying for it?".

Quote[/b] ]The seven men, all Iraqi merchants, have been in the United States since mid- April to receive their new "bionic" hands to replace the ones amputated by former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein as punishment for trading in U.S. currency. In addition to providing them with new $50,000 prosthetic hands, U.S. doctors in Houston also removed the tattoos Saddam had imprinted on the merchants' foreheads to draw further attention to their misdeeds.

Iraqis Pay Tribute to U.S. Service Members

Group photo

They also met with Pres. Bush. The press had no interest in asking questions about them and their background and what they would do, instead they rehased stuff they had asked previously.

This was apparently organized under the direction of a Marvin Zindler from Houston, Texas. I don't know if it was a Shriners supported operation or not, Mr. Zindler may have contacts with them.

Google for Marvin Zindler

Mavin's Bio

Some info on Marvin's friend who did the surgery

Have you noticed that the media has stop telling people about the casualtied in iraq?

Have you noticed that the media has stop telling people about the casualtied in iraq?

No. But then our media is not owned by the people in government, to such an extent.

If you mean the US...

CBS and I think ABC always tell how many have been killed during the day in Iraq, both Americans and Iraqis.

Truthfully its not a "story" anymore (unless something like the car bomb happens), but they are always sure to at least mention it.

Quote[/b] ]If you mean the US...

CBS and I think ABC always tell how many have been killed during the day in Iraq, both Americans and Iraqis.

Truthfully its not a "story" anymore (unless something like the car bomb happens), but they are always sure to at least mention it.

Yep, the news stations (I look at) usually informs if a service memeber has died... sad_o.gif

add at leat 100 locals who got killed yesterday only:

Suicide bomb havoc as Iraq attacks kill more than 100

Quote[/b] ]More than 100 people were killed in Iraq in a wave of attacks on Wednesday, as insurgents demonstrated that the interim government's honeymoon is well and truly over.

In the deadliest single suicide bomb for a year, 70 people were killed and 30 wounded in Baquba, 64km north of Baghdad.

Clashes occurred in several other locations throughout the country, exactly a month after the US formally handed over sovereignty to an Iraqi administration.

There was a fierce battle in the town of Suwariya, 64 kilometres south-east of Baghdad. Seven Iraqi soldiers fighting alongside multinational troops were killed in the clashes that also left 35 insurgents dead.

There were also shootings and clashes in the western city of Ramadi and the northern city of Kirkuk. Central Baghdad descended into chaos after a rocket hit a busy street, killing two people and wounding four, including three children.

The hostage crisis also escalated when a militant group holding two Pakistani contractors last night said it had executed the men, but freed their Iraqi driver, according to the TV station al-Jazeera. A video of their death was said to be too gruesome to be shown.

The Baquba suicide bomb left a trail of destruction, obliterating market stalls and de stroying several buildings. As well as tearing through scores of civilians as they shopped at the market, the bomb struck a group of men lining up at a nearby recruiting office for the Iraqi police.

In western Iraq, two foreign soldiers were killed and two aircraft were forced to make emergency landings after coming under fire, a US spokesman said.

The Baquba bomb raised fears of a fresh insurgency campaign three days before Iraq holds a big political conference in Baghdad, at which 1 000 delegates will gather. It is billed as a crucial next step in Iraq's transition to democracy ahead of elections planned for January

Welcome to reality.

And the Brits now have their torture cases at court:

Iraqis seek justice in British court

Quote[/b] ]British soldiers battered Iraqi prisoners and demanded that they "dance like Michael Jackson," lawyers for families of six Iraqis allegedly killed by British troops said yesterday as they sought to force an independent inquiry into the deaths.

Opening a three-day hearing in the High Court, lawyers for the families asked two judges to rule that Britain's Human Rights Act and the European Convention on Human Rights applied to British soldiers occupying Iraq and that independent inquiries into six test cases should be held.

The government says it will "robustly" defend its position that human rights legislation does not apply. The Ministry of Defence says all allegations of death and mistreatment by British forces are investigated by the military.

Rabinder Singh, a lawyer for the Iraqis, said the government was wrong in law by refusing to act.

"This country should be proud to be a leader in the field of human rights, not a grudging follower," Singh said in his opening statement.

All the victims died in British-occupied southeastern Iraq after major combat was declared over on May 1, 2003 and before the handover of power to an Iraqi administration this June 28.

Five of the victims allegedly were shot, "in situations where they were at home, attending a funeral, driving home from work and delivering a box of suggestions and complaints to a judge's home whilst on duty as a policeman," said law firm Public Interest Lawyers, which is representing the claimants.

The sixth is Baha Mousa, 26, a Basra hotel receptionist who died after allegedly being beaten by British troops in September 2003.

Singh read from a witness statement from Kifah Al Mutari, who said that he, Mousa and five other Basra hotel workers were arrested and taken to a British military base.

He said they were hooded, kicked and punched and forced to crouch for hours during three days of detention.

"The soldiers appeared to be thoroughly enjoying themselves, as the beatings were accompanied by loud laughter," the statement said.

"Soldiers took turns in abusing us ... They would mention some English names of stars or (soccer) players and request us to remember them or we would be beaten," he said.

"One terrible game the soldiers played involved kickboxing. The soldiers would surround us and compete as to who could kickbox one of us the furthest," Al Mutari added. "The idea was to try and make us crash into the wall."

On the third day, he said, detainees were awoken after two hours sleep and a soldier "asked us to dance like Michael Jackson."

He said Mousa "appeared to have much worse ill-treatment than the others. On the third night Baha was in a separate room and I could hear him moaning through the walls," Al Mutari said.

"He was saying that he was bleeding from his nose and that he was dying. I heard him say 'I am dying ... blood ... blood...'. I heard nothing further from him after that."

Five of the detainees were released without charge after three days. Mousa's father, Daoud Mousa, was told by British troops that he had died in custody. He was asked to identify his son's body, which he said was bloody and bruised, with a broken nose and patches of skin on his face and wrist torn away.

"When I saw the corpse I burst into tears, and I still cannot bear to think about what I saw," Mousa said in a witness statement. "I literally could not bear to look at him."

The Ministry of Defence said the Royal Military Police was investigating Mousa's death.

A court ruling in favour of the families could pave the way for compensation and possible criminal proceedings against British soldiers.

The government says it has so far paid just over Å142,000 ($258,000) in compensation to settle 106 cases of death, injury and property damage in the British-occupied south of Iraq. Another 537 claims have been denied, while 149 remain under investigation, he said, without giving details of the incidents.

Daoud Mousa, who travelled to London to attend the hearing, said Tuesday that the family had turned down an offer of $5,000 compensation, "because it was an insult to our dignity."

While US troops face similar charges:

Soldier 'Ordered to Push Iraqis into Tigris'

Quote[/b] ]One of four US soldiers charged with pushing two Iraqi civilians into the Tigris River, where one of them drowned, said he was ordered to do so and told what to say to officials investigating the death, an Army investigator told a hearing.

Spc Terry Bowman said he “was told by his chain of command what version to give†investigators, Sgt Irene Cintron of the US Army’s Criminal Investigation Command said during a teleconference from Iraq as the military convened a hearing at Fort Carson, Colorado, to determine whether the soldiers would be court-martialled.

Bowman said he had been ordered to push the men into the Tigris, Cintron said.

It was not disclosed who gave the order. Three of the soldiers’ commanders have received non-judicial punishments for their roles in the incident. None of those punishments include jail time.

Sgt 1st Class Tracy Perkins, 33, 1st Lt Jack Saville, 24, and Sgt Reggie Martinez, 24, are charged with involuntary manslaughter in the January 3 drowning death of a man identified by family members in Iraq as Zaidoun Fadel Hassoun, 19.

Bowman, 21, is charged with assault for allegedly pushing the second man into the river at the same time. That man, a cousin of Hassoun named Marwan Fadel Hassoun, 23, survived and had described the events to The Associated Press.

Marwan Hassoun said he tried to help his cousin swim to safety, only to lose his grip as the soldiers watched and laughed. “They were behaving like they were watching a comedy on stage,†he told AP several weeks ago.

Perkins, Martinez and Bowman appeared at yesterday’s Article 32 hearing, which is similar to a civilian grand jury hearing and will determine whether the soldiers are court-martialled. Saville’s hearing is scheduled for September 9. The four soldiers face between five and a half years and 26 and a half years in prison if they are tried and convicted.

Martinez initially told investigators neither he nor anyone in his platoon pushed anyone in the river, Cintron said. A week later, on January 23, Martinez said he had gone to the river’s edge with the men, “kicked one in the buttâ€, but the man jumped in on his own.

Sgt Alexis Rincon, a member of the patrol that night, said the soldiers forced the men to jump and that Martinez pointed a rifle at one of them. Rincon said the man hesitated, but jumped after the second Iraqi said something to him in Arabic.

None of the soldiers thought the men were in danger because one quickly made it to shore, Rincon said. He said he would not have left the scene had he known one of the men was drowning, but asked if he would have gone to the man’s aid, Rincon replied: “I don’t know about jumping in and saving him.â€

The soldiers’ commanders, Lt Col Nathan Sassaman, Maj Robert Gwinner and Capt Matthew Cunningham, were punished last spring under Article 15, which allows punishments without a court proceeding or public record. Rep Joel Hefley, a Colorado Republican, has asked for congressional hearings into why their cases were handled differently than those of the soldiers.

The soldiers are assigned to Fort Carson’s 3rd Brigade Combat Team. The brigade is part of the 4th Infantry Division, based at Fort Hood, Texas. AP

We´ve talked about that incident some time ago. At that time

some said it was made up and untrue. Well, it was true obviously. sad_o.gif

wow_o.gif

Exclusive:Interogation sessions transcripts with Saddam Hussein leaked

Quote[/b] ]nterrogation commenced: 0735 hours

Colonel Beckwith and I decided to play Good Cop/Bad Cop again. I came into the room as Bad Cop and yelled at SH. He immediately laughed at me because last week when I came in I was Good Cop and gave him a sandwich. I tried to play it off that I had

some heartburn and was still Good Cop but "just a little cranky". Colonel Beckwith tried to cover for me by entering the room as Bad Cop and yelling, but that didn't seem to work either. SH muttered something but wouldn't say what.

Interrogation terminated: 0749 hours

Interrogation commenced: 2000 hours

Gave SH a Paddington Bear doll we named "Paddington al-Dubhe". We told him the story and suggested that sometimes it's nice to have a special friend to tell your deepest secrets to when interrogators aren't around. SH said it was very sad that someone would abandon a bear in a train station, but he changed his opinion when he tore the head off and found the microphone.

Interrogation terminated: 2008 hours

Interrogation commenced: 1430 hours

I tried to break the will of SH by showing him an Iraqi newspaper editorial calling for his trial and punishment. SH told me that our Psychological Operations folk obviously printed a fake newspaper. I told him that I bought the paper at an off-base coffee house. He insisted it was a fake. I told him I crossed my heart. He said he did not believe me. I asked what I needed to do to prove that it was a real newspaper, and he suggested taking him to the off-base coffee house to see it first-hand (and could he have a muffin while there?). I asked, but Gen Farley said absolutely no way. SH didn't say anything else aside from asking how much my PsyOps newspaper subscription cost and if there were any PsyOps coupons in it. I asked where the WMD were and he suggested I look in my copy of PsyOps Weekly.

Interrogation terminated: 1540 hours

Interrogation commenced: 0330 hours

Woke SH quite early to catch him off-guard and groggy. I asked, "What's your first name?" and he said, "Saddam." Again I asked, "What's your first name?" and he said, "Saddam." I kept asking, "What's your first name?" and he kept saying, "Saddam." Once I had a rhythm going, I asked, "Where are the WMD?" He said, "Saddam."

Interrogation terminated: 0338 hours

Interrogation commenced: 0700 hours

Today I tried the "respect" technique. I told SH that he was a good detainee and he seemed like a nice enough guy who did a good job running the country. He asked why we fired him if he did such a good job. I said it was probably because he was so good that someone else deserved a turn. He said that made no sense. I said maybe he was hogging it a little. He asked why that was a problem if he was doing such a good job. I said sometimes he got naughty and did not nice things to people. He asked why I would say he was doing a good job if he was so naughty. I said I didn't know. He asked if I was trying the "respect" technique. I said yes.

Interrogation terminated: 0751 hours

Interrogation commenced: 2210 hours

I played chess with SH, who is not too bad a player. At one point, my bishop took his rook. I told him that in the US when you lose your rook to a bishop it is customary to divulge a little personal secret, like maybe where the WMD are. He said we weren't in the US, then he took my pawn with the horse piece.

Interrogation terminated: 0122 hours

Interrogation commenced: 1021 hours

After working the "friend" approach for a while I felt like we'd made a breakthrough. SH said if he ever told anyone about the location of the WMD, it would be me. He said that was because he considered me his best friend. I said I considered him my best friend too, and he should tell me where the WMD are. He said he wouldn't dare because someone might pretend to be my friend just to get such infor- mation from me, and that he couldn't bear to see his best friend get used that way.

Interrogation terminated: 1108 hours

Interrogation commenced: 2230 hours

I told SH that we would be paid a visit by Baghdad's longest-running improvisational comedy troupe, and that they often ask for audience suggestions. I had one of the "players" ask SH for the name of something you'd return to a department store. SH said "wrench". They did a quick scene about returning a wrench, and then another "player" asked for a geographic location where one might hide WMDs. SH was quiet for a long time, so I suggested Wal-Mart.

Interrogation terminated: 2345 hours

Interrogation commenced: 1241 hours

After lunch, SH informed us he was willing to talk. Colonel Beckwith and I sat down with him. He spoke for quite some time and answered every question fully. We believe we have made great progress and we are researching the data.

Interrogation terminated: 1551 hours

Interrogation commenced: 0940 hours

Colonel Beckwith and I told SH that we didn't think it was particularly funny that he had us looking for "Monkey Valley" and the "Camel Ass Testing Facility" when it turned out there were no such locations. Also, we told him we were unable to verify the existence of Mohammad Yomama and we do not believe his claims of having built an "Infidel Ray". We said as a result of our disappointment, we would be denying his TV access. He said TV sucks anyway because they don't sing about him anymore.

Interrogation terminated: 1006 hours

Interrogation commenced: 0250 hours

I roused SH from his slumbers and told him Tariq Aziz was on the phone and wanted to know where the VX gas was. Didn't bite.

Interrogation terminated: 0251 hours

Interrogation commenced: 1122 hours

Col Beckwith and I told SH that next Monday was "International Torture Day" which celebrates torture by removing Geneva Convention restrictions for 24 hours. We hinted that we were excited because we had new probes and thumb screws we wanted to test out. SH told us the fake holiday idea was lame and asked us what we wanted for Kwanzaa.

Interrogation terminated: 1139 hours

Interrogation commenced: 0915 hours

Col Beckwith tried the "shame" approach and reminded SH that after all the high-and-mighty tough- guy posturing, he'd ultimately been discovered cowering in a hole. SH said that yes, he was a little embarrassed about that. He told us a story about a great man who suffered shame and humiliation, and how that man was constantly trying to figure out a good way to get back at the people who embarrassed him. The story was about five hours long and ended with the man concluding that the best way to get back at those people for humiliating him was to waste their time by telling them a long story that went nowhere.

Interrogation terminated: 1419 hours

Interrogation commenced: 2020 hours

While playing Risk, SH hoarded all his troops in Australia as he always does. I told him he should try a different strategy - like maybe putting them in the Middle East or Asia and he said no because they're impossible to defend. He said he'd tell me where the WMD were if I didn't station too many troops in Brazil, so I didn't. He then invaded Brazil and it wasn't too long before all I had was Yakutsk and Madagascar. I got so mad I forgot to ask where the WMD were.

Interrogation terminated: 2311 hours

Interrogation commenced: 1322 hours

We tried the "new cell-mate" approach with Capt Mark Biear. He entered the cell and introduced himself to SH as "Jamal al-Said". SH immediately knew his name was Mark Biear, blood type B-positive, Protestant. If we try this in the future, the "new cell-mate" should not wear dog-tags.

Interrogation terminated: 1322 hours

Interrogation commenced: 0938 hours

General Farley suggested a reverse-psychology approach, so I told SH I didn't care where the WMD were anymore and I didn't want to know. He asked if I was sure and I said yes, I didn't want to know where the WMD were. He asked if I was really, really sure and I insisted I didn't want to know where the WMD were. SH said that was too bad because he was just about to tell me. I recommend the forward-psychology approach from this point onward.

Interrogation terminated: 1002 hours

Interrogation commenced: 0820 hours

I thought I might try the "reward" technique so I asked SH if there were any movies he might like to see. He said he only really liked one movie, and it was about him and how he never told anyone where the WMD were hidden. I told him I hadn't heard of that movie, and he said that's because he hasn't finished making it yet.

Interrogation terminated: 0901 hours

Interrogation commenced: 1735 hours

I introduced a new system whereby SH can receive "Perk Points" for divulging important information. The number of "Perk Points" is determined by the value of the information divulged. "Perk Points" can be redeemed for valuable rewards like snacks and magazines, or saved up for even greater rewards like longer exercise walks and showers. So far, SH only has two "Perk Points" for telling me there was Nutella on my chin.

Interrogation terminated: 1800 hours

Interrogation commenced: 0630 hours

Today was very annoying because SH kept repeating what I said. I told him he was acting childish and he told me I was acting childish. I told him I was going to leave and he told me he was going to leave. I told him he couldn't leave because he was a prisoner and he told me I couldn't leave because I was a prisoner. I asked General Farley if I was a prisoner and he said no, so I don't know why SH said that.

Interrogation terminated: 0934 hours

Interrogation commenced: 1320 hours

I told SH the Red Cross was coming to check up on him next Wednesday. He said he was excited because he liked the Red Cross and looked forward to telling them where the WMD were. I asked him why he'd tell the Red Cross and not me and he said because they always give him a razor and a syringe of sodium phenobarbital. I obtained a razor and a syringe of sodium phenobarbital from the medical tent and gave them to SH. He still didn't tell me where the WMD were, and when I awoke I had no eyebrows and a needle in my thigh.

Interrogation terminated: 1844 hours

Priceless peice of work...

Man Saddam is so cool. I like how he keeps those stupid filthy Americans at bay. Man we should let him have his country back.

Quote[/b] ]He still didn't tell me where the WMD were, and when I awoke I had no eyebrows and a needle in my thigh.

ooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy........

Quote[/b] ]I asked, but Gen Farley said absolutely no way. SH didn't say anything else aside from asking how much my PsyOps newspaper subscription cost and if there were any PsyOps coupons in it. I asked where the WMD were and he suggested I look in my copy of PsyOps Weekly.

hahahahaha PsyOps coupons.

Too bad its just a skit sad_o.gif

Suprised nobody post this....

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/07/29/iraq.main/index.html

Quote[/b] ]

Saudi plan would send Muslim troops to Iraq

Thursday, July 29, 2004 Posted: 6:36 PM EDT (2236 GMT)

Iraq's interim Prime Minister Ayad Allawi, left, meets with U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell in Saudi Arabia.

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Iraq's interim Prime Minister Ayad Allawi Thursday praised a Saudi plan that would send Muslim troops to Iraq to help stem fighting that took more than 100 lives this week.

Allawi met Thursday with U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, and accepted an invitation to visit the White House.

He called on Muslim and Arab troops to close ranks against Islamic extremism.

"These terrorists and their conduct is far away from the values of Islam and Arab values," Allawi said. "The participation of Arab and Muslim states is important not only to support Iraq -- Iraq will be able to overcome its difficulties -- but it is important for the region to have a decisive position and decisive role against these groups that threaten the stability of the countries in the region.

"We have to stand together to confront these groups and be conscious of the Arab role and the Islamic role that should be the movement and the power behind that."

Under the proposed Saudi plan, any new Arab and Muslim troops would supplement coalition troops, not replace them, but could reduce the need for so many troops as security is restored, according to a State Department official. The Saudi initiative would involve Islamic nations that do not border Iraq, meaning Saudi troops would not be included. (Full story)

Later, the Iraqi delegation arrived in the United Arab Emirates, where Iraqi Planning Minister Mehdi al-Hafidh told reporters that the Saudis told them they are willing to invest $1 billion in Iraq.

At the news conference, Powell said the United States welcomes the plan, but stressed "these are preliminary ideas" that Washington "will be examining." He also noted there are many unanswered questions regarding the chain of command of such a force. The United States is unlikely to cede command of the multinational force before American troops leave Iraq.

The meeting came a day after at least 118 people died in widespread violence across Iraq. The deadliest attack Wednesday happened in Baquba, where at least 70 were killed and 56 wounded in a suicide car bombing.

On a very serious note here is astonishing report of the scale of conflict in Iraq.A good read for everybody

Quote[/b] ]Unreported war US documents reveal scale of conflict

Iraq, we are told by Mr Blair, is safer. It is not. US military reports clearly show much of the violence in Iraq is not revealed to journalists, and thus goes largely unreported. This account of the insurgency across Iraq over three days last week provides astonishing proof that Iraq under its new, American-appointed Prime Minister, has grown more dangerous and violent.

But even this is only a partial record of events. US casualties and dozens of Iraqi civilian deaths each day are not included in the reports. But here are the events, as recorded by the United States military on 20, 22 and 23 July. Few were publicly disclosed.

20 July Baghdad

A US aircraft was attacked by a surface-to-air missile over Baghdad airport. An improvised explosive device detonated under a bridge near al-Bayieh fire station. A second bomb exploded when the "Facility Protection Service" arrived. In other areas, there were four bombings, three RPG assaults and six gun attacks, almost all on US forces.

North of Baghdad

A civilian supply convoy was attacked at Samarra. A bomb exploded on a bus in Baquba, killing six. A mine went off in Balad. A US convoy was attacked with RPGs and gunfiree at Salman Pak. There were roadside bombings of US forces at Mandali, Samarra, Baquba, Duluiya and Muqdadiyeh, and three grenade attacks (at Tikrit, Samarra and Kirkuk, with shootings at Muqdadiyeh, Balad, Hawija, Samarra, Tikrit and Khalis.

West of Baghdad

An American foot patrol set off a landmine at Khalidiya. A civilian tractor hit a mine at Hit. There was an RPG attack on a school in Karmah. Roadside and other bombs also detonated in Fallujah, Hit, Ramadi and Qaim. There were also attacks on US troops at Hit, Karmah, Saqlawiyeh and Ramadi.

South of Baghdad

International troops discovered two 107mm rockets aimed at the house of the governor of Diwakineh, and a roadside bomb detonated near Iskanderiyeh. In Basra, the city council co-ordinator and his three bodyguards were killed near a police checkpoint by three men in police uniform.

22 July Baghdad

Two roadside bombs exploded next to a van and a Mercedes in separate areas of Baghdad, killing four civilians. A gunman in a Toyota opened fire on a police checkpoint and escaped. Police wounded three gunmen at a checkpoint and arrested four men suspected of attempted murder. Seven more roadside bombs exploded in Baghdad and gunmen twice attacked US troops.

North of Baghdad

Police dismantled a car bomb in Mosul and gunmen attacked the Western driver of a gravel truck at Tell Afar). There were three roadside bombings and a rocket attack on US troops in Mosul and another gun attack on US forces near Tell Afar. At Taji, a civilian vehicle collided with a US military vehicle, killing six civilians and injuring seven others. At Bayji, a US vehicle hit a landmine. The Americans said gunmen murdered a dentist in at the Ad Dwar hospital. There were 17 roadside bomb explosions against US forces in Taji, Baquba, Baqua, Jalula, Tikrit, Paliwoda, Balad, Samarra and Duluiyeh, with attacks by gunmen on US troops in Tikrit and Balad. A headless body in an orange jump-suit was found in the Tigris; believed to be Bulgarian hostage, Ivalyo Kepov. Kirkuk air base, used by US forces, attacked.

West of Baghdad

Five roadside bombs on US forces in Rutbah, Kalso and Ramadi. Gunmen attacked Americans in Fallujah and Ramadi.

South of Baghdad

The police chief of Najaf was abducted. Two civilian contractors were attacked by gunmen at Haswah. A roadside bomb exploded near Kerbala and Hillah. International forces were attacked by gunmen at Al Qurnah.

23 July Baghdad

A US military convoy was mortared and a grenade thrown. There were seven roadside bomb attacks and five gun attacks on US forces.

North of Baghdad

A man threw a grenade at a US convoy at Tell Afar. Two gunmen killed an officer in the new Iraqi Army in Mosul. American troops also came under RPG fire in Mosul. Gunmen attacked a convoy of western mercenaries south of Samarra, a civilian convoy was attacked at Baquba. A former Iraqi army officer, former Major-General Salim Blaish died in a drive- by shooting in Mosul. Americans detained two men who had fired a rocket from a truck in Balad. There were three roadside bomb attacks on Americans in Baquba, Balad and an RPG attack at Kirkuk.

West of Baghdad

A roadside bomb against US forces at Rutbah. Gunmen also attacked the Americans in Khalidiyeh and Fallujah.

South of Baghdad

The Mussayib power station was mortared and roadside bombs exploded at Iskanderiyeh and Mussayib.

What more is there to say?More then a hundread attacks that never reached the media in cities from south to north to west even is Shia bastions and not just the Sunni Triangle.

Iraq is a miserable failure.A failure that is geting closer to a Vietnam with every passing day.

TBA and US military officials have clearly underestimated the Iraqi Army will to fight during the war,regroup afterwards and start a ruthless efficient guerilla campaign with edvidence revealing that it was prepared in the smallest detail before the invasion even begun.They clearly will stop at nothing to take back their country,so what are the solutions now?

Retreating in their bases and hope nobody will notice the rampage occouring acroos the country?It`s not helping much stoping US casualties even so.The insurgents have cought up courage and are willing to attack them with mortars and rockets even in their own bases and the Iraqi police with 40% in absentia,30% geting fired and antoher big procent refusing to fight the Iraqi insurgents are vastly outnumbered and outgunned.

Iraq is a miserable failure.A failure that is geting closer to a Vietnam with every single day.

That comparison is getting very old and is total bollock's, there is no comparison what so ever that this conflict is anything like vietnam other than that the US is fighting a large militia force and even that does not hold true to the vietnam conflict.

Monkey Lib Front have you even read the article outlining US forces cought up in fighting in every single place across Iraq: Kurdish,Shia or Sunni?

And you are wrong,Vietnam was most importantly a miserable failure of war policy,an underestimating of enemy forces and their capabilities,propagandistic adresses to US population that painted a rosy place where they are winning the war and in the end of course the humiliating defeat.

And my friend it`s painfully obvious Iraq is curently a costly failure as so the underestimating of enemy forces capabilities and will to fight,everybody remembers Kimmitt claims "Fallujah citizens are being held hostages by foreign hostages" or Bush "Mission Accomplished" banner;and most unfortunatly if there isn`t a masive change of attitude it will end in a defeat.

Quote[/b] ]Suprised nobody post this....

Because Iraqi people are special fans of Saudis biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Suprised nobody post this....

Because Iraqi people are special fans of Saudis biggrin_o.gif

Especially shiites. wink_o.gif