Sign in to follow this  
qUiLL

Opf2 looks like its no longer 'nam. what happened?

i mean after all that work, i remember work commenced on the vietnam mod years ago, and i thought that was transforming into OPF2. now with opf2 apparently looking like it WONT be vietnam, whered all that stuff go? i mean alot of work was done on that mod from my understanding and i cant imagine bis just dropping it after all those models and maps and whatnot were made/obtained and everything...

so the question for me is, will vietnam be dropped? will it be a standalone game using the opf1 engine or a mod for opf? or maybe they will delay it to make a mod for opf2 based on vietnam?

what do yall think?

Is this "Bis has changed there minds" thing still only based on a change in tv-set? Cause the site says "featuring different theaters of combat across Asia and Europe".

That would make it more thinkable that Africa had been removed than Vietnam.

edit: Ohyeah, you should use the Flashpoint2 thread

I'm really wondering if this topic is productive at all. I'll leave it open for now, if only out of morbid curiosity, but I think that speculation about OFP2 would best be left to the website topic.

Is this "Bis has changed there minds" thing still only based on a change in tv-set? Cause the site says "featuring different theaters of combat across Asia and Europe".

That would make it more thinkable that Africa had been removed than Vietnam.

edit: Ohyeah, you should use the Flashpoint2 thread

Yeah I am a little surprized myself, everyone jumped on the conclusion it would be Vietnam only, then BIS or Codemasters confirms it is in various regions, then the TV reflects various regions(?) and now we are suprized Vietnam is "gone"?

Hehhe, sounds like a little lapse there.

with opf2 apparently looking like it WONT be vietnam, whered all that stuff go? i mean alot of work was done on that mod from my understanding and i cant imagine bis just dropping it after all those models and maps and whatnot were made/obtained and everything...

Im confused. Work done on what mod? OPF2 will not be a mod crazy_o.gif . And i thought BIS was still busy with x-box version of OPF and that they didnt even started working on OPF2's content, what models and maps are you refering to? Sure they could have started sum work enhancing the game engine, visuals and functionality, introducing new stuff or optimizing rendering techniques but models and maps rock.gif .

That's right, we were never really given evidence that BIS was working on Vietnam at all, apart from their pic of a vietnam era soildier, and at the same time, we don't have evidence that a Vietnam conflict is dropped either. We can only wait for some clear screenies before we gauge what's in, an what's not.

We can only wait for some clear screenies before we gauge what's in, an what's not.

*Wink* *Wink* BIS biggrin_o.gif

there was a vietnam mod under production by a bunch of people including seventh, seth and dna. from what i understood at the time they were working somewhat close with bis at the time. eventually the mod kinda faded out and disappeared it seems and opf2 kind of popped up saying it was going to be vietnam. now naturally i think to myself "hmmm all this work done on a vietnam mod, now opf2 is going to be vietnam, is there any connection?" well at first i thought yes but now im just totally baffled...anyhow as far as there being an opf2 mod of vietnam, that means that maybe it is being put aside while opf2 is worked on, then maybe will be resumed as a mod for opf2 when its out. of course this like hellfish said is all speculation.

i just hope bis doesnt go with the old valve "leave everyone in the dark" approach. to be honest with you i very much liked the pre-opf "release craploads of screenshots, video and other media for the community to see and hide nothing from them" approach lol. or maybe they wont do that they are just waiting to have a decent "wow" factor. whatever bis has up their sleave though, im sure they mean well smile_o.gif

as for vietnam, i hope any of the above options are true except the one that says its scrapped. i got excited when i heard it was being made for opf, disappointed when the news stopped coming about the mod, excited again when i heard opf2 was going to have 'nam and now as i said above i am baffled and dont know what to think

edit: i must remind you all that i think seventh, seth and dna are now part of bis. i also remember they were behind the vietnam mod for opf1. to say that there was no models or anything made would be totally false, because, if you looked at the vietnam mod website (is it still even up?) they had plenty of stuff that was made.

i just hope bis doesnt go with the old valve "leave everyone in the dark" approach. to be honest with you i very much liked the pre-opf "release craploads of screenshots, video and other media for the community to see and hide nothing from them" approach lol. or maybe they wont do that they are just waiting to have a decent "wow" factor. whatever bis has up their sleave though, im sure they mean well smile_o.gif

Well, I can't say that I blame BIS for being quiet about it, especially now so early in the development. If they came out two months ago and showed us a ton of screenshots of Africa and then we found out that the entire Africa segment had been dropped, we'd all be pretty dissappointed, I think. As it is, them being quiet allows them the maximum flexibility to design the game that they want to. There's nothing right now that they've committed themselves to, so there are no solid expectations in us, the community, who are scrutinizing their every public move.

I think addon makers can best identify with this mentality - when an outstanding addon gets released, there's really very little comment about it. But when an addon gets released with a small flaw or oversight, the community (or rather, vocal members of the community) tend to pounce on it. I think a good way to run a game company, addon team, or a life in general is to reduce the expectation that other people have. The less people expect from you, the more you'll get a chance to suprise and not dissapoint them.

My 2 cents. smile_o.gif

I'm really wondering if this topic is productive at all. I'll leave it open for now, if only out of morbid curiosity, but I think that speculation about OFP2 would best be left to the website topic.

It is. The more votes we have on a selection may be the sum of all opinions. And maybey all those opinions put together could be the truth.

with opf2 apparently looking like it WONT be vietnam, whered all that stuff go? i mean alot of work was done on that mod from my understanding and i cant imagine bis just dropping it after all those models and maps and whatnot were made/obtained and everything...

Im confused. Work done on what mod? OPF2 will not be a mod crazy_o.gif . And i thought BIS was still busy with x-box version of OPF and that they didnt even started working on OPF2's content, what models and maps are you refering to? Sure they could have started sum work enhancing the game engine, visuals and functionality, introducing new stuff or optimizing rendering techniques but models and maps rock.gif .

I think he's refering to the Independance Lost game, wich has been postponed (am i right?)

Your fellow countrymen should know best. Sith and D'n'A - pay them a little visit and post the results right here smile_o.gif

Edit: And while I am at it - with some of the new people in the staff, OFP2 might get a generally unexpected drift:

Quote[/b] ]Best of films: Hair
ghostface.gifbiggrin_o.gif

about independance lost, yea i had that in mind when i said it could be a standalone game based off opf1 engine. not saying independance lost WOULD be 'nam, just that we've seen that come up before and i think it is a valid possibility that bis could want to do the same thing with 'nam.

Independence Lost wasn't about vietnam in the first place, it was about East Timor. There was Operation Vietnam made by Seventh, I think you were refering to, but it was last updated on october 17, 2002. Seventh is working for BIS Australia, which was responsible for Independence Lost.

But since that has been prosponed till after OFP2, it might be probable they're joining the work of OFP2. It might also be that work of Operation Vietnam is used for either Independence Lost or OFP2, but the last news of Operation Vietnam shows they're still working on it, but won't be updating their site unless necessary (that was october 2002).

Quote[/b] ]i mean after all that work, i remember work commenced on the vietnam mod years ago, and i thought that was transforming into OPF2. now with opf2 apparently looking like it WONT be vietnam, whered all that stuff go? i mean alot of work was done on that mod from my understanding and i cant imagine bis just dropping it after all those models and maps and whatnot were made/obtained and everything...

so the question for me is, will vietnam be dropped? will it be a standalone game using the opf1 engine or a mod for opf? or maybe they will delay it to make a mod for opf2 based on vietnam?

what do yall think?

umm...I'm kinda confused...What I now wonder is...why do you think OFP2 won't be nam? BIS have clearly stated that OFP2 will consist of 3 theatre, and the main one will be nam...and I haven't seen any proof that they have changed their mind. And if you think they may have changed their mind and that OFP 2 won't be nam just because they don't release screenshots...well, maybe they should have something that looks like a game before they do?

Garcia

yes but a change in theatres isnt the same as a change of era...from what i understood initially there would be 3 theatres, but all in the same time period. now the site shows that it will be the present time period, not the era that vietnam was fought in. the only ways that vietnam could still be included with the present day vehicles and weapons is if either

A) the game features stuff from different eras, one of those being vietnam and another being the present.

or

B) the game is going to take place in vietnam but in the present day, and it wont be about the vietnam conflict in the late 60s/early 70s.

i cant see BIS making a game based on a 1970s conflict with raptors and year 2000 technology

edit: remember THEATRE != ERA

I highly doubt that BIS would make two different eras, modern day and '70s, and the latest update shows VERY un-70's type stuff, like a modern TV, A "coalition" against some threat against the free world blah blah pics from BHD, Littlebirds etc.

Slapping a Vietnam era in that is like making two different games and putting them in one package, I mean how could those two be connected?

If the engine can handle hight tech, it can handle low tech. As long as it becomes even easier to mod...

It would be cool if they included a "Soldier modeling tool" that would allow you to quickly build almost any countrys uniform in the last 50 years or so. If you think about it, with a dozen camo paterns, a dozen uniform models, a dozen helmet models... you can build more than half the worlds armies. Am i too far from the truth?

(I'm not really an expert, but i know uniforms around the world share a lot of common features. For example, Portuguese paratroopers used to have a cammo pattern identical to the one French troops used in Algeria, while the regular army used a darker and with bigger color patchs pattern).

I'm not sure this is the appropriate thread to develop these ideas so i'm gonna search the suggestions forum.

It is.  The more votes we have on a selection may be the sum of all opinions.  And maybey all those opinions put together could be the truth.

votes on what, speculation?

noone knows anything about ofp2, and i dont think we'll see anything about it for at least a year.

Whats the point in speculating, BIS havent even shown one single screen, they probably havent even started, I read they were having troubles converting ofp1 to x-box and were spending lots of time on that...

I for one Hope ofp2 blows our minds...

but I really Doubt it will meet our expectations.

Agree Drow, much of the magic of OFP is gone after playing it this long (the wonder at the concept of freedom, driveable vehicles) and I think OFP2 can "only" improve on the old,

so don't wait for a messiah game because they never are wink_o.gif

I personally would like to see OFP2 in another Mythical Era and setting.

I mean 'Nam has been done before. Lots.

i would like to see the exact same thing again.

no new theatres, no new year.

just the same scenario. redone all over again.

bigger better islands.

updated graphics.

updated scripts.

new campaigns.

no wheels reinvented.

maybe a selection of "the best of the addons."

more support for non u.s. / soviet units.

vietnam i can do without.

Yea I think another cold war crisis with more realism and accuracy would be what I would like to see. I actually do not mind so much about the scenario but I prefer one acurate scenario over several not acurate scenarios.

A cold war scenario should be what they are best at because some BIS members actually lived thru one.