Sign in to follow this  
drow

Vietnam island progress

well, I tried to dig up the old thread and post it in there, but i cant find it, I ran a forum search here and everything...

So, heres some screens on the progress of the island.

http://e.domaindlx.com/unsung/BayShot1.jpg

http://e.domaindlx.com/unsung/Fisherman1.jpg

http://e.domaindlx.com/unsung/HutsShot1.jpg

http://e.domaindlx.com/unsung/Old%20Man.jpg

http://e.domaindlx.com/unsung/woods.jpg

(The units are SEB nam for anyone who doesnt know... if there is anyone that doesnt know.)

Looking good, especially the palm tree in pic 3 (i think)

@ Jan. 13 2004,08:20)]at what percentage complete do u think the island is at ?

Pretty low, 20-30% maybe,

the landscape is all layed out for the most part, but thats not even half the battle, plus we plan to have themed areas,

defoliated zones, artillary'd hill sides, fire bases, rice paddies etc. so im still waiting on alot of addons from our team, though we still need more addon makers, the few we have are very creative and productive, so things are coming along nicely...

but never the less its going to be a long time coming.

We'll keep you updated.

Looking seriously good Drow.

That jungle looks great to fight in - spacey enough so AIs can still move around but with tons of variety and a thick canopy. Is that a forest object in woods.jpg, or a collection of individually placed trees?

Great work smile_o.gif

Looking seriously good Drow.

That jungle looks great to fight in - spacey enough so AIs can still move around but with tons of variety and a thick canopy. Is that a forest object in woods.jpg, or a collection of individually placed trees?

Great work  smile_o.gif

yea thanks, a bit of both, we probably need to put those trees together into a forest to prevent lag and whatnot, because the large trees are single trees, not a forest.

Sorry for everyone who wants really thick "jungle" the AI wont even move, they just do a kind of a shuffle, back and forth... back and forth... very rediculous looking too :P

so yes there must be spaces, looks pretty lame with no spaces anyways, and I can say from experience, maps like that arent fun, they make you feel claustrophobic, not to mention lagggg

so, it will no doubt be thicker with more divercity in plant life, but dont hope for 10 meter view jungle on this island... its not practical.

p.s. Colossus,

Im Canadian, not American.  wink_o.gif

N-I-C-E

Nice

Island to

Clever

Emerican (didnt have a A)

smile_o.gif

Could be

Nice

Island,

Canadian

Europian crazy_o.gif

Anyway OT

This and Thru's Vietnam island r wat I'm relly lookin foward too.

Keep it up Unsunf team smile_o.gif

Big Thanks to all who replied,

it would be nice though, to hear more of what you really think, other than just glad handing me for doing a good job  tounge_o.gif  not that im ungrateful... smile_o.gif,

but I wonder what the OFP Community would like to see in a "vietnam island".

Also, many of our trees are from

ThruYerStErNum 's

- UnscriptedWar: Vietnam -

project, we are currently cooperating and you could see a new version of our sky addon released along with the unscripted war project when its done.  wink_o.gif

Wat we like to see. k smile_o.gif

1) Rope bridge

2) VC shelter for Weapons and Food

There. Just to get the ball rolling biggrin_o.gif

Yes a rope bridge, more bunkers (american and vietnamese) and more 'Nam objects in general. That's the only thing I can think of ATM. wink_o.gif

Hawkins

well jeez guys tounge_o.gif

those things are a given, get a bit more creative with it.  biggrin_o.gif

The highlands you see now are going to have many villages and firebases and such all through them, Im going to make rice patties and farms for the lowlands eventually, some towns and probably a medium scale city.

I believe we will make Hue city on a seperate smaller island, so the city can be huge and lagg free, for use in the TET OFFENCIVE CAMPAIGN (one of the campaigns we have planned)  smile_o.gif

Make the jungle a lot more interesting. Add features like waterfalls, streams, enormous VC bunkers... tounge_o.gif

ok, since your taking requests smile_o.gif

I'd like to see the vegatation match the terrain. Having nipa palm at higher elevations would just be wrong. Same with coconut palms. Also it seems the art directon on the plants is all over the place. They don;t seem to be made by the same person. It doesn't seem to fit as a whole. Just make sure all the art direction is the same across the board. For making sure the plants are localized, there are plenty of botanical sites on the web for reference. With enough searching you can find some of the exact varieties of plantlife for any area of the world. Or I guess photos of the areas would suffice. I can't tell from the pics what area your trying to simulate. I remember at one point it was ia Drang. Those pics don't look like any pics of Ia Drang I've ever seen ;)

Make some realistic firebases. I really liked how the bases in Vietcong felt. Everything underground.  There are plenty of aerial photos on the web for reference so there is no reason not to get it right.

If your doing large base camps, make them to scale. Thats what I love about Phaeden's map. Everything feels right as far as scale.

More later.

ROGER THAT!

this is what im looking for smile_o.gif

glad to see youve got your looking glasses on hehehe

yes the vegetation needs to be uniform looking, and regional, so different types of palms at different elevations.

keep em coming,

thanks Ebud.

but p.s. crazy_o.gif we arent going to make any of the HUGE bases, some had over 1000 buildings on them i believe wow_o.gif

The Storm Sky looks wonderful Drow.

Any plans to implement tunnels on the island? I suppose they're a hell of a lot of work to integrate properly into the terrain, maybe just well disguised bunkers as Ebud suggests. Maybe following on from the art direction idea, have three or four "camo-bunker" buildings covered with the right kind of vegetation for an area of the island?

Cheers,

Cornhelium

We have a creative idea for tunnels.

Rope bridges and such are in the work, more bunkers are needed, and modellers are needed. So if any of you guys are modellers or texturers, please drop either me or Drow an email if you wish to help.

LOL

the storm sky, i must have posted that a month ago and noone noticed :P

(edit- i guess it was just a week, hehh)

anyways, thanks, Im thinking about releasing the V.2 of the sky addon depending on demand.

anyways, thanks, Im thinking about releasing the V.2 of the sky addon depending on demand.

Please do that. smile_o.gif

Hawkins

hmm, the problem is demand is low

hehehe

if 10 more people come and ask for it I may reconcider it.

wink_o.gif