Sign in to follow this  
shadow

Happy new year

I thought that you are Pope for life and that not a single pope has ever abdicated?

severall also were killed by the spouses of their mistresess, and at least one died of a heart attack while sodomising an altar boy. (this was a good while ago though)

They have also been overthrown in the past.

Why didn't CNN have pictures from Edinburgh, the largest hogmanay party in the world?

Why didn't CNN have pictures from Edinburgh, the largest hogmanay party in the world?

It got cancelled. The weather was not too good last night. Many events in the North of the country were cancelled due to high winds and rain.

It got cancelled. The weather was not too good last night. Many events in the North of the country were cancelled due to high winds and rain.

oh yeah! lol. Still pished biggrin_o.gif

Forgot about that

PS Edinburgh is south from where I live and we still went to the shops in T shirts

I thought that you are Pope for life and that not a single pope has ever abdicated?

severall also were killed by the spouses of their mistresess, and at least one died of a heart attack while sodomising an altar boy.  (this was a good while ago though)

And lets not forget good old Pope Joan. Disguised herself as a boy very early in life, entered a monastery (iirc) and ended up becoming Pope. Died giving birth on the steps of the Vatican, or so the story goes. Which is when people began to realise that she must have been a woman and renamed her Pope Joan.

severall also were killed by the spouses of their mistresess, and at least one died of a heart attack while sodomising an altar boy.  (this was a good while ago though)

And lets not forget good old Pope Joan.  Disguised herself as a boy very early in life, entered a monastery (iirc) and ended up becoming Pope.  Died giving birth on the steps of the Vatican, or so the story goes.  Which is when people began to realise that she must have been a woman and renamed her Pope Joan.

Women must have been pretty flat chested back then....

And lets not forget good old Pope Joan.  Disguised herself as a boy very early in life, entered a monastery (iirc) and ended up becoming Pope.  Died giving birth on the steps of the Vatican, or so the story goes.  Which is when people began to realise that she must have been a woman and renamed her Pope Joan.

Women must have been pretty flat chested back then....

Implants came into fashion only 20 years ago mate wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I thought the pope is pope untill he is dead. I thought noone else can take over before he is dead.

No. According to Canon 332 § 2 CIC the pope is free to resign whenever he wants.

Original latin text:

"Si contingat ut Romanus Pontifex muneri suo renuntiet, ad validitatem requi- ritur ut renuntiatio libere fiat et rite manifestetur, non vero ut a quopiam acceptetur."

Canon 332 § 2 CIC

Translation:

"Wenn es geschieht, dass der Papst seinem Amt entsagt, ist zur Gültigkeit erforderlich, dass der Rücktritt freiwillig geschieht und in aller Form angezeigt wird, nicht aber, dass er von irgend jemandem angenommen wird" (Canon 332 § 2).

Here you go

biggrin_o.gif

My lawyer english is to bad to get that into english precisely so you may want to question Google for the § 332 of the 2nd CIC

He wouldn´t be the first to resign. There were other popes who stepped back from their job. They were forced to do that at least most of them.

In the year 235 pope Pontianus was forced to resign after he had been forced into exile on Sardinia where he worked in a mine.

In 537 pope Silverius was forced to resign after he was imprisoned on the island Ponza.

In 1415 Gregor XII resigned after a power clash with 2 competitors who also were forced to resign.

Johannes XVIII (anno 1009) also resigned.

Coelestin V was the only pope that resigned on his free will. He was an eremite and felt that the pope job is no good for him and the catholic church so he resigned and turned into a regular monk again.

Enough history lesson for now biggrin_o.gif

Is it just me or is the pope looking more festive than ever this year?!

[straight to hell]