Next time you think sci-fi, think again

Quote[/b] ]"Finders keepers, losers weepers."

At least we dont blow up astronauts by cutting money tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]"Finders keepers, losers weepers."

At least we dont blow up astronauts by cutting money tounge_o.gif

AR501_V088_3.jpg

we just blow up our rockets once in a while smile_o.gif

How much does it cost them afetr such a happening? wow_o.gif

What if there was a satellite who would pay for it?

How much does it cost them afetr such a happening? wow_o.gif

heh ... but there was a sattelite batch inside 501 ..... 4 scientific research sattelites which have been changed into incandescent ashes , nice ain't it smile_o.gif

i think the cargo of this kind of vehicle is insured much like the cargo of the air postal

How much does it cost them afetr such a happening?  wow_o.gif

$2.5 billion according to this article. That was the one that exploded in '96.

The one that exploded in 2002 was cheaper, 600 million euros according to this article

Quote[/b] ]

The satellites are insured.

I don't know why, but I really don't see anything superior in the metric system

The difference is that Metric makes sense. smile_o.gif

Now i dont wanna know the name of the poor company who insured them tounge_o.gif

Do the Japs btw use Ariane to launch their stuff ? They donthave their own launch capabilities or do they? The doco i saw had Japs their waiting since their satellite was in that Satellite.

Heard Iran has one of their own now.. wow_o.gif

S713Abb1-hr.jpg

looks quite nice ...... but so much money for these fireworks ...

Jeez that must be heartbreaking for the scientists involved in the project i doubt if i would be able to launch another one after wasting so much money ... crazy_o.gif

Arianes.jpg

out of all the launchers disponible on the market as we speak , Ariane 5 is IMO the most classy (i also liked Ariane 4 a lot)

a shame the Hermes space shuttle project has been scraped, seeing Ariane 5 and Hermes launched at Kourou well , i'm sure it would have been something ....

I've always been a fan of Russian booster design (esthetically). It reminds me very much of Gaudi's architecture:

(Soyuz)

soyuz-1july2002.jpg

(Proton)

proton.jpg

(N1)

n1liftoff.jpg

(Vostok)

vostok.gif

(Gaudi - Sagrada Familia, the Cathedral in Barcelona)

sagrada-familia.jpg

Quote[/b] ]out of all the launchers disponible on the market as we speak , Ariane 5 is IMO the most classy (i also liked Ariane 4 a lot)

a shame the Hermes space shuttle project has been scraped, seeing Ariane 5 and Hermes launched at Kourou well , i'm sure it would have been something ....

The rocket in the middle looks like something out of Austin Powers tounge_o.gifwow_o.gif .

Interesting:

_39720261_earth_mars_sun_inf416.gif

Why don't we land a man on the sun - it's closer  tounge_o.gif

The moon isn't actually that far away. The distance between New York and Paris is about 6,000 km. The distance to the moon is just 60 times that. rock.gif

Now Mars is another story. It's more than 1,000 times the distance to the moon.

The difficult thing about going to Mars would be supplies. The astronauts would basically have to be self-sufficient for not only the several month journey to and from Mars, but for their stay(which presumable would be much longer than the Apollo astronauts stayed on the moon, since it takes much longer to get to Mars). If someone gets ill, is injured, or there is a mechanical problem they wouldn't just be able to be back at earth in a few days. The only times they could probably actually leave from or go to Mars, would be when Earth and Mars are relatively close to each other, which would further limit their options if there is an emergency.

The difficult thing about going to Mars would be supplies.  The astronauts would basically have to be self-sufficient for not only the several month journey to and from Mars, but for their stay(which presumable would be much longer than the Apollo astronauts stayed on the moon, since it takes much longer to get to Mars).

They would have to send supplies on unmanned vehicles before taking off. Then they could re-supply either in orbit around Mars or on the planet.

And yes, it's a risky mission, but exploring has always been a risky business.

On a slightly different topic, I found a cool 3d solar system simulator: Celestia. Fairly good graphics, an easy to use interface and it's developed in cooperation with NASA (who uses it for training and education). And it's supposed to be very accurate and there are a lot of addons for it.

Gee, I'm turning into quite a space-geek biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]They would have to send supplies on unmanned vehicles before taking off. Then they could re-supply either in orbit around Mars or on the planet.

That's a good idea but the Clustf%&k factor seems rather high.

What happened to the plans were some rotating space stations pick up ships and catapult them to next station ?

Or are the scientist afraid of a misguided

voyage_dans-sm.gif

shot ?

The hermes projekt based on the sänger project may be cancelled but there are still interesting things running like

laun003.jpg

ARES

and the PHOENIX project:

astr052.jpg

Reusable space glider Phoenix in wind canal test

What happened to the plans were some rotating space stations pick up ships and catapult them to next station ?

Or are the scientist afraid of a misguided

The hermes projekt based on the sänger project may be cancelled but there are still interesting things running like

well , hermes was french and looked ace .....

Quote[/b] ]Gee, I'm turning into quite a space-geek

Hehe nice find there though biggrin_o.gif

Hermes looks a lot like th Buran and the US shuttles , what about that big US shuttle all grey and very sleek they show on tv space smulations sometimes , its very uber looking ....

There are working on a space port here in Oklahoma at Burns Flat. I think they said that they would have commercial flight tours by 2010.

ok

here is the list:

Buran

buran_energiya.jpg

Sänger 2 cancelled MBB DASA:

Saenger.gif

Hermes ESA not french ran but good old european  wink_o.gif

hermcut.jpg

PHOENIX  mentioned above ESA

ARES mentioned above ESA

X 33 NASA cancelled:

x33-2.jpg

Astroliner reusable launch vehicle NASA, no status:

kelly.jpg

When you talk about big grey thing you may think of NASA HSR concept. It´s a supersonic passenger jet:

HSCT-SM.JPG

There may be more but these are the ones I know so far.

And who knows what these guys

taikonaut-200-bg.jpg

Will do the next years  biggrin_o.gif

Taikonaut ahoi !