Sign in to follow this  
ExtracTioN

What is the best mp game???

Quote[/b] ]Though I have to admit ofp is better than all of them.

Much better biggrin_o.gif  smile_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif !

America's Army is up there on the list, as is OFP. Not counting flight sims like Lomac and Il-2 FB, those are really the only games I have any interest in playing online.

@ Dec. 14 2003,17:36)]America's Army is up there on the list, as is OFP. Not counting flight sims like Lomac and Il-2 FB, those are really the only games I have any interest in playing online.

yeah, americas army is pretty good. I like the SF ones a lot, especially pipeline. Best of all it's free..

Yes, the price of AA is definitely a plus smile_o.gif . I love the Bridge mission, you can seriously whoop some ass with the Barrett biggrin_o.gif .

I have been playing quite a deal of Call of Duty lately. Its good, fast fun when you're in the mood. And FF servers are also quite interesting, all though I am not convinced they have the best FF deterent (if you shoot a friendly, you take the damage. Fine idea, expect it doesnt really prevent people from running into your line of fire).

The best mp gaming experience I've had is jungle firefights and tactical urban operations on Tonal.

One game that I know that some people play is MFCTI with all the great addons instead of the original boring one. I havn't yet played it but it sounds very exciting.

A Good Review to Cheer Me Up

I once played the BF1942 demo, cursed myself for wasting the time on my 56k crazy_o.gif .

Nice Review, even with the small mistakes he made, he said Novago Island and correct me if i am wrong but wasnt Guba a Colonel in Res?

OFP is the only game i have ever owned that after this much time that the game has been out i am still playing it and enjoying it as much as i did when i took it out the box biggrin_o.gif

F*ck PC gamer! mad_o.gif

Most gaming magazines, especially that one, are walking advertising brochures, they get an advertisement from the game dev and then post it as a "hype" or "preview" article. mad_o.gif Not surprisingly, according to those articles, games like H&D2 and Black&White will bring about world peace, end famine etc.

Well, getting a bit OT now... wink_o.gif

My favorite MP game besides OFP is Day of Defeat, the WW2 HL mod. Not perfect, but I like...the realism. tounge_o.gif I'm not playing it anymore, though.

F*ck Steam! mad_o.gif  wink_o.gif

Edit: If only DoD had Russians...*dreams*

Ahh yes, the PC Gamer review. That was the same issue in which the same reviewer alternately eviscerated OFP and praised Ghost Recon like it was the Second Coming. All respect to GR, I enjoyed it and everything, but the reviewer explicitly compares OFP to GR on several occasions (I believe his summary of GR was something along the lines of "excellent, far superior to its competitor, OFP"), in a way that is completely unprofessional. Heh, OFP players still get pissed off about that review tounge_o.gif

The problem is that reviewers get so used to games that are loaded with eye candy that they can't look at anything except graphics. They just find a game with good graphics, and then dig for reasons to endorse it. The "financial incentives" provided by some gaming companies don't hurt either tounge_o.gifrock.gifmad_o.gif ...

The games I've personally had the most fun with in multiplayer are:

OFP

Rainbow Six series (Rogue Spear, Ghost Recon etc etc)

Delta Force series

GTA 1 & 2

Unreal (for a no-brainer fragfest)

Age of Empires I & II

Diablo

Warlords series (1 thru 4, excluding the RTS Battlecry spinoffs - TBS all the way baby! )

However, ever since OFP came out, our LAN sessions have been exclusively OFP co-op.  smile_o.gif  (I don't play on the net all that much).

Also, for a good fun, grossout, fragfest - looking forward to the MP patch for Postal 2.  crazy_o.gif

The problem is that reviewers get so used to games that are loaded with eye candy that they can't look at anything except graphics. They just find a game with good graphics, and then dig for reasons to endorse it. The "financial incentives" provided by some gaming companies don't hurt either tounge_o.gif  rock.gif  mad_o.gif ...

That's the odd part- I've always been of the opinion that OFP is one of the most beautiful games ever made, but in a much more subtle way than most eye candy-fests are. Large, realistic environments, beautiful day/night cycle, a realistic color pallette- combine it all, and who really gives a damn if the tree textures are a little pixelated up close.

As my computer is slowly breaking apart (much like Antarctica - in fact, I shall now call my CPU "Antarctica") I play Day of Defeat online more than OFP now, if only because it's less hardware intensive than OFP. I never thought I'd play any of those CS spawned games, but DoD was $20 and all my friends have it, and since we're all at least an hour away from each other, it's a way for us to get together and talk while knifing each other in the back.  smile_o.gif

Once I get an upgrade, I'll be playing OFP a lot more with all those sorry wanks over at MTCO.  tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]That's the odd part- I've always been of the opinion that OFP is one of the most beautiful games ever made, but in a much more subtle way than most eye candy-fests are. Large, realistic environments, beautiful day/night cycle, a realistic color pallette- combine it all, and who really gives a damn if the tree textures are a little pixelated up close.

I would agree that Resistance can be very beautiful (Not CWC, I can't stand the ugly textures tounge_o.gif ), but the beauty is too subtle for people who're used to standard FPS graphics.

I play Day of Defeat online more than OFP now, if only because it's less hardware intensive than OFP. I never thought I'd play any of those CS spawned games, but DoD was $20 and all my friends have it, and since we're all at least an hour away from each other, it's a way for us to get together and talk while knifing each other in the back.  smile_o.gif

Once I get an upgrade, I'll be playing OFP a lot more with all those sorry wanks over at MTCO.  tounge_o.gif

As someone who has played DoD online since alpha, I haev to correct you there smile_o.gif

CS had absolutely nothing to do with DoD. I know it says 'from the makers of CS' on the box, but that refers to Valve, who employed the DoD team to go retail with DoD v1.0

Noone who worked on CS work(ed/s) on DoD.

I also play DoD a lot but thats actually getting less now that I'm able to play OFP more, specifically FDFMOD.

My list goes like this

(total time played online)

DoD (being overtaken slowly by OFP since last year but still more in total)

OFP

CS Pre Beta 5.2 (stopped playing when they removed the need for skill or tactics - you used to have to cover each other and kneel to get accurate shots)

Vampire Slayer (sadly it gets edged out by DoD or OFP- theres nothing wrong with it - I just like them better

I've heard extremely good things about Red Orchestra, a WWII EASTERN FRONT mod for UT2003/4

I'm going to get UT2004 and try it when UT2004 is out. If I had 2003 I'd play it now.

and since we're all at least an hour away from each other, it's a way for us to get together and talk while knifing each other in the back.  smile_o.gif

Ingame right ? crazy_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Since dod 1.1 i havent been playing as much as i used to sad_o.gif

and since we're all at least an hour away from each other, it's a way for us to get together and talk while knifing each other in the back.  smile_o.gif

Ingame right ?  crazy_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

biggrin_o.gif

I like how every weapon in DoD is great if used the right way, in the sense that every weapon has its advantages and disadvantages. My favorites are K98 (I shout out in glee everytime I hit someone with the bayonet! :P)/L-Enfield, Thompson and MG34 (accurate, especially on D-Day).

Also, the game manages to hide the inherent ugliness of the HL engine pretty well, except for that godawful forest map. crazy_o.gif

Ingame right ?  crazy_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

Since dod 1.1 i havent been playing as much as i used to  sad_o.gif

Why not?

The game has gotten better in 1.1 compared to 1.0

Although IMO the best games were in (beta)2.0 - when MGs were to be feared.

Quote[/b] ]My favorites are K98 (I shout out in glee everytime I hit someone with the bayonet! :P)

It's times like these that make me wish the OFP had bayonets sad_o.gif . Oh, how I would have liked to use one on Guba wow_o.gif ...

I remember that there was a little matchbox-car game in the early days when PC became popular. One could oversee the entire track and use nitro if collected the right things. Realy awesome. These were the days when both gamers had to use the same keyboard.

Also, I remember a game when each player had a stationary artillery on a hill. And you had to take wind and distance into consideration to hit the artillery of the opponent. In  a later game-version you could pick different sorts of ammunition, shields and even parachutes if someone blew up the hill your artillery was standing on.

Those were the days when multiplayer excitement was the freshest!

And of course noone beats North&South, Starcraft and DukeNukem!

Worst multiplayer experience: Streetfighter!!! Damn that was the birthdate of gamecenter-neirds!