Sign in to follow this  
Gunny

Joining during a battle

OFP is uncomparable to MOHAA.

First of all, MOH is during the WW2.

Secondly, have you ever tried to create a Q3 map where there are say 40-50 AI soldiers, 10 tanks, a map which takes 20-30 min to run across, some 20-30 towns, an airstrip, 10 large forrests and trees all over the place, probably something like 1000-2000 in total?

But you are right, if the entire SDK doesnt come out soon, so I can play I44 on OFP, I will definetly abandon OFP for MOHAA. The last will probably be a lot more fun.

And less frustrating to play in MP.

Since there is probably no hope for ofp (its creators did not play mp games themselv I guess) it still gives a taste of things to come.

Anybody knows what is out there or shortly will be to meet this standard?

I play counterstriek, great game with even sometimes working voice communication, great play but now limited.

I play DF landwarrior, also a great game for us but I get bored to play the same maps again and again and no vehicels, the single player game is not worth mentioning

because of poor AI.

Could Wolfenstein mp fill the gap? I heard about WWII online but cannot find it. any suggestions (Perhaps BIS wakes up if player move on...)

just to add my thoughts..... I'm not a programmer, so I have no idea whether or not this is feasible (I don't know about data volumes, peformance impacts, programming effort etc).

Would it be possible for the server to log any relevant outgoing messages in a file? Then as people joined, they get sent this log file in the same way as a mission file.... Their PC processes it (as though they received the messages in the first place).

That should be close enough to allow spectating at least, which to be honest would be good enough for me. I don't mind watching for 10-15 minutes, as I could then tell whether or not it was worth waiting for...... which is the problem at the moment.....

I've tried Wolfenstein (the demo) and it's not bad.

It's incredibly easy to get into a running game, and there's lots of nice details like de ability to select your soldier type as you wait to respawn. Top quality.

The only thing I don't like is the aiming. After the ultra accurate shooting in flashpoint, it's really hard to know in Wolf if you are hitting or not soebody. I found it very frustrating and made me realize how good is Flashpoint doing this (nice acuracy and nice red-cloud-hitting effect).

Funny thing is that just when we managed to have a few regular Flashpoint players to play MP games, Wolfenstein demo was released and we lost all those players for ever... Just because it's so easy to get into a wolfenstein game. Now it's only 2 of us playing Flashpoint. And Wolfenstein is just a demo... scary. A lesson to be learned.

Dan "Haddock"

And what about this topic?

<a href="http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/topic.cgi?forum=3&topic=235

by" target="_blank">http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....35

by</a> Suma about JIP:

"It would take a lot of time to implement it. We also do not see it really important. We understand it is very attractive option, but for real tactical team play (in which we think OFP qualities shine best) it is almost useless."

Well, its possible but Dev Team simply dont want it. But after all these posts, did not we prove that JIP was needed?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Gunny on 4:00 pm on Oct. 21, 2001

And what about this topic?

<a href="http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/topic.cgi?forum=3&topic=235

by" target="_blank">http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....35

by</a> Suma about JIP:

"It would take a lot of time to implement it.  We also do not see it really important. We understand it is very attractive option, but for real tactical team play (in which we think OFP qualities shine best) it is almost useless."

Well, its possible but Dev Team simply dont want it. But after all these posts, did not we prove that JIP was needed?<span id='postcolor'>

Hmmmm based on the popularity of this thread, as of this writing, here are the stats :

104 replies, viewed 2182 times

It seems to me that maybe they should take another look at it, ie, JIP that is.

Based on sales numbers of units sold, and taken in consideration the number of unique posts here, they may think the numbers are not significant (YET) to make the needed changes based on that ratio. The average person just wants to play, he does'nt post, he does'nt call tech support unless the call is free, if it does'nt work or they have to make an "effort' to play or have to 'wait', he'll just return the game for trade or refund to place of purchase (if there is a policy to trade or return) for the reason his "instant gratification" is not statisfied. Unlike some of us that really want to see this game become the best it can be of this genre. We're the ones that make up the "fan base" and will probabley buy an add-on or OFP 2, not the casual player. The "product returns" data is'nt even considered by any marketing arm of a distributor or production company until 60-90 days AFTER the game hit's the shelf. Unless the return numbers are HUGE. Know this, I am not advocating returning OFP in any way, I'm just saying that it may take time to see any changes. Heck, it may even be OFP2 or an add-on before we see any of our suggestions (if at all), and that seems to be the norm today. For the most part a game is "driven" by marketing (suits and bean counters) not development. smile.gif

/0

Maj

**** PS ****

The above post was written BEFORE I saw Suma's post on 10/15/01, Doh! But I figured I'd leave it posted. See bottom of the next reply.

(Edited by MajHavoc at 5:17 pm on Oct. 21, 2001)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Suma on 11:14 am on Oct. 15, 2001

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

From the resons above, I can say that almost certainly there will be no patch for OFP that will enable "Join in progress".

<span id='postcolor'>

Suma,

Okay. I understand what you are saying. However, are there any hooks you can put in the wait  screen to allow a player to maybe continue a campaign, play single missions in "stand alone" mode, while the current MP game is being played and completed? Then when the MP game done event is triggered, close the campaign/ single mission game with a save option (if he has'nt saved already) and pull the player to the team selection event?

It seems to me that some info is sent to the client when the MP session is completed to trigger the client to go to the team selection event. Could some code be implimented to intercept that with out a major impact on the OFP "core" code base?

My point is if you cant give us JIP without major impact on the code can you at least give us something to do while we wait? smile.gif

/0

Maj

PS: I seemed to have over looked your post when it was first made, I apologize for that! smile.gif Or I would have posted sooner...

(Edited by MajHavoc at 4:47 pm on Oct. 21, 2001)

Comment:

To the Dev team:

Just wanted to say that I am really enjoying OFP and impressed with your efforts to monitor this Forum and jump in, even when the info is disappointing and not what we want. I respect that! I also respect that you're listening..... thanx!

To the Gamers:

You guys are a great bunch, level headed, and mature (for the most part wink.gif).

/0 <salute>

Maj

Eh... Yeah, they are listening to us...

Thats why they always post here like every day...

Thats why they respond to our suggestions about JIP...

Thats why my alternative suggestion has fallen of the page to page 2 without a response...

Big Brother sees us. And, oh, did I forget to mention? Hes blind.

The last post is on page 2.

Never seen a response to our options on JIP.

My alternative solution recieved praises here, but not by devs.

just downloaded the wolfenstein multiplayer demo: great fun.... can't compare it with op flash (like comparing a cartoon to a film!), but the multiplayer is a blast....

oh well, it's op flash for single player only from now on I think (which it's fantastic at). I'll check back now and again to see if they've improved the mp though....

BIS please follow Valve's example. When HL was released the netcode was piss-poor and you couldn't even use vehicles in the game because they'd jump all over the place. Valve however improved the netcode and has milked HL for a LOT of money. So you see, you aren't wasting time by working only on OFP. With a solid multiplayer component it can be a highly popular game for years to come.

JIP for CTF, DM and team vs. team games really should be available. It's a vital MP component. The gameplay is virtually perfect and even Team Fortress 2 won't be able to hold a candle to this game if you get the JIP much like most of the other games out there.

PLEASE, PLEASE consider this! I love this game too much to see it relegated to the junk heap so soon simply because the MP doesn't allow for JIP.

Thanks!

So joining during a battle can't be done, I can live with that.

BUT it would be nice if you were somehow able to see more info about the map thats is currently on, like if there is a time or frag limit (and what the limit is and how many time has passed and frags have been made)

And in co-op missions, how many people are still alive.

This would make things much easier because you would atleast know how much longer you would have to wait before you can join.

And if multiplayer will be less painfull, more people will play it, and then there will be more servers, and if there will be more servers, it will be easier to find a nice server that is about to start a new map smile.gif

(Edited by Morchaoron at 12:45 am on Oct. 22, 2001)

The thing is, it can be done, with the effort from BIS, they have said that, only it would be hard to do and there not willing to give it a go.

Apparently this part of the network code is buried deep in the game code, so rewriting it would mean almost rewriting the game.

It looks like the only way of having proper MP games is to arrange games in advance.

Maybe we could use the forum to announce server IPs and times to start the game.

Or find some mates with flashpoint... I lost most of them when the demo of Wolwenstein was released.

Dan "Haddock"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Col Rambo SBS on 1:35 am on Oct. 22, 2001

The thing is, it can be done, with the effort from BIS, they have said that, only it would be hard to do and there not willing to give it a go.

<span id='postcolor'>

*Grabs an M16 and goes after the devs*

*looks at the building where their sitting and programming*

AW, #### WHICH IDIOT PUT UP THE SIGN "PROGRAMMING IN PROGRESS" AND LOCKED THE DOOR?!

*Bangs my rifle agianst the door, someone reacts*

"Sorry the door does not support opening while programming is in progress, come back later"

DARN! WHO THE #### CREATED THAT DOOR?

*Look at the map, looks at the compass, looks at the map again*

Lets see... Home is... There, west of La Trinite... Or was it north of Houdan? When I come to think on, where am I?

*Looks at the car passing by, looks at my satchel, looks at the car again*

Oh, well, off to have some fun. Lets see how high that baby can fly, hehehe....

Aw, still no response? Well keep on bumpin, sooner or later they will notice...

haha, OFP is the greatest game ever, but I guess they are making this game for a certain type of people, as they are not going to go most people's way, they do have some supporters for how the game is current;y doing in multiplayer mode.

well I read this whole thread, and about 2% of the people like the way the multiplayer is. and the other 98% want JIP.(Join in Progress)

I think we should all stop complaining, If you want a good multiplayer game that has JIP, you should wait for another game to come out because OFP isn't made for people like us, it's made for those 2% of the people.

notice this forum only has 5000+ users.

Ghost recon isn't even out yet, it has 300000 users.. BIS likes to do things their way, as quoted in another post for why they don't implement JIP, the answer was theyt don't see the point of doing it because it's a really tactical game, something along that line.

So, stop bothering the developers and go wait for other games, mod etc...OFP is a great game that the majority of the people are gonna stop playing, so be it.

I'll still play it, by myself I guess...if you 98% of the players don't like this, then don't bother buying the next BIS game...maybe check out ghost recon or some other not as big mapped games.

hehe anyways here is the bottom line:

In a bussiness world you don't do things the way you want unless you have manopilized the market like microsift.

IN a bussnessworld YOU DO WHAT THE CUSTOMERS ASK OR THEY GO SOMEWHERE ELSE

yes, to you guys who think people whining losers for asking for JIP, well they are whining losers, and that's what most customers are going to do when things don't go their way, and then they leave...that's the way this sad world works, DEVELOPERS of OFP and the rest of you, i hope u get my point, I speak from a neutral point of view since i don't ask for JIP and i don't plan on playing OFP either since i see so many complaints about it. same will go with all the other prospect buyers.

This game is awesome i decide that i'm gonna start plaing it again, i think the name of this game is called

WAIT AROUND IN GAMESPY

I agree totally with your comments. It's the stance I took after the developer (I find it interesting that the project manager isn't making these statements anyway...if you ever wrote code, the developer doesn't typically make these decisions) shot down the JIP solution.

OFP is good for one thing really - it marks the beginning of a different type of game...and really, BIS is like the pioneers (along with that WWII online game) of large scale war maps.

I still have one major complaint - this issue is a lack of vision, something that should have been in the original design...lack of vision and bad design is always the downfall of a software package.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Vincent Vega on 12:50 am on Oct. 23, 2001

ROFL @ Dawdler wink.gif

nice little joke biggrin.gif

<span id='postcolor'>

Joke? Whos joking?

...the counter should also count down from the alotted time rather than count up...that way people would know how long is left in the game rather than how long it has been played thus far. Quote from another thread dam good idea and should be easy to implement.