Sign in to follow this  
jojimbo_No_1

Textures blurred ingame

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this.

If i texture a unit,for example i have one and the uniform is made on a 1024 by 1024 template,ingame the textures are crystal clear.

But,if i texture a tree say,or some vegetation,ingame

the textures are blurred.

Is there a heirarchy to how Ofp gives priority.

The vegetation modelwise is alot smaller than the unit.

specs nvidia fx5600 256MB

1 Gig Ram

1.8Mhz P4

Maybe also the fact that you can have different resolution textures in Flashpoint Preferences / Advanced / Textures

What are your settings there? You can have different cockpit,landscape,objects and special effects texture sizes

Actualy OFP won't scale the trees and objects unless you have the advanced graphics settings on thier playable highest for you computer. Do what BraTTy says to do in his post thier. wink_o.gif

ill try that,thx.

hmmm,that didnt work,the textures were set

at 4096 by 4096 so i reduced them to

1024 max.

also changed the lod setting in the cfg.

funny thing is,if you look at the addon with binocs

the textures come through crystal clear and then stay clear.

its only when you start the mission.hmmmmm

What are the resolution LOD's of the model set at?

If they are quite close numbers you will be seeing the least detailed of the LOD's even though you might be quite close, which is why you see the detailed LOD through binoculars,..

if you know what I mean.

there is only one lod.set at 0.000

i think the engine is automatically mipmapping

the texture.i tested even with a very small addon

and still the same blurred textures.

someone said it might be to do with alpha channels,

the textures contain alpha channels,and maybe they're

being automatically optimized by either the engine,or my video card?rock.gif?

until forced through by way of using binoculars ingame.

anyone know how to fix this?

Oh that try going into the ingame options and video settings and disable multi textureing. If it is already disabled than enable it and see what happens. wink_o.gif

A few video card preferences ideas:

(right click on desktop>properties>advanced>your gfx card tab)

antistropic filtering - 2x or more...

antialiasing - 2x or 4x or 4xs (quinltixususxusuusxuxux [however you spell it] tends to make the game look blurry)

texture sharpening box checked

did you ever figure this out jojimbo?

i would like to know too. sad_o.gif

I havent noticed any difference in the textures on trees,bushes,etc,Maybe you could show a pic that is in the class of a tree and another tree as a class of a building.To see the diff.

well after a bit of prodding around,i know its not a 256x mipmap thing.maybe theres a priority heirarchy in whats rendered.

do u mean that when the game loads up the grass etc. is all blurry and 'nintendo' graphics looking,

but after a few seconds it gets clear and looks right?

because thats happening with my grass mad_o.gif

do u mean that when the game loads up the grass etc. is all blurry and 'nintendo' graphics looking,

but after a few seconds it gets clear and looks right?

because thats happening with my grass  mad_o.gif

thats exactly what happens,however saying that

once ofp is up and running,theres not a prob,only

the start,it looks as if it needs "refreshing"

any units using high-res textures are clear as

a bell,its definately got to be alpha channel related.

maybe the OFP EXE needs a patch so the paa

transparency system can be upgraded to bring it

up to scratch.i tried the kegety method of only

keeping the .cpp in the .pbo and having the addon folder

in the same directory as OFP.EXE but no change,

sorry to be a pain, but do you know where i can get some clearification info on this alpha channel thing, i cant save as an alpha channel, do i need paintshop pro? i use photoshop, and i can do anything you could imagine with it, except this damn alpha channel thing of course, hehe.

looks like your missions will start with buffer time cutscenes, focused on other places, or extreme close ups for long enough for the textures to load clear...

it sucks goin the ghetto route, but sometimes you just have to compremise.

crazy_o.gif

i dont know why i still havent learned this alpha texture thing, im a graphic designer for god sakes... i want to save it with the darker background, so my trees dont have white outlines,

any tips, tut's??? i only found one to make a windsheild. mad_o.gif

Drow,getting rid of the whiteness is easy,

in photoshop,select the alpha channel

and adjust the contrast slider to maximum.

there might be another way,ill let you know of any progress

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I had/have those issues as well atm.

Did you ever fix it? Are you using paa or pac? Something I noticed was that I was using paa's for a huge field of grass. The closer I got to the center of the field, the better the texture quality was. So I'm assuming that when I'm in the outer edges of the p3d field, the textures are mip-mapping, but the closer I get to the center, the clearer they are getting. I'm guessing of course, but this is what is happening.

When I use hi res pac files with a 2 color alpha this doesn't happen.

Does this theory make sense?

AFAIK the only way to get rid of the whiteness around grass and trees and other semi transparent object is as Ebud suggests. I use PSP and use a 2 color alpha channel for tga's which are converted to paa.

Sometimes I also get really good textures in buldozer but lousy in game, sometimes its the other way round, and sometimes both are near perfect. I think it has something to do with how fresh your system is from boot up. If I've mucked around with other programs that use directx I have noticed a deterioation in OFP graphics. I presume the other apps might not be clearing memory properly.

Might be worth looking into.

Damn, have the same problem with my textures. I also use 1024x1024 (or 1024x512) for most of my big faces, but noticed most of my textures look blurry (at start) although i'm not shore, smaller tex. looks good. Only have 1 resLod (but tried with a few other Lods). Really thought it's something to do with the resLod since once i run a few times (trough) or very close to model.....PERFECT textures. Also noticed i more has to do with OFP settings (but didn't found it jet). Guess it has to do with the refresh or something (test ALT+TAB..and notice (well, it does with me)..your textures are again "blurry".

So indeed if possible use smaller tex.

Actually I think the graphics engine is in possible need of an overhaul (hopefully OFP2 will fix this). I run a 1.4 mghtz P4 with Geforce 3 and as I stated sometimes the graphics are good other times not.

I try to keep my textures 1024 x 1024 and below, as too small a texture seems to screw up most most detail. Interestingly enuff some other games can have 256 x 256 textures and they are really good.

I've tried highres textures and I had to change game settings for the addon to look right.Knowing that users won't like to (and I wouldn't like them to) change game settings , I lowered the res.I think I read that some textures are blurry at start and after a bit they are ok,but we can't have that either.I went with 512x512 instead