Sign in to follow this  
Mister Frag

Lock on: modern air combat

That reminds me- I've been looking around for a copy of Flanker 2.5, but the only one I've seen is bundled with 2 games I all ready own (Silent Hunter 2 and Il2 Sturmovik).

@ July 31 2003,22:49)]That reminds me- I've been looking around for a copy of Flanker 2.5, but the only one I've seen is bundled with 2 games I all ready own (Silent Hunter 2 and Il2 Sturmovik).

I managed to get Flanker 2.0 (original version with printed manual) for 2 UK pounds on ebay.

in case ure getting this game and wanting to join a squad for it

divert you eyes to 101st Squadron - The Guardians its a clan that i have started and as im a pilot For the RAF ill be training the members to the RAF standard and will be a tough clan.. mean no messing about in game enless i say and n disobeying of orders.. really this squad in the RAF for the Game wink_o.gif any one thats 17+ may join (y 17+? well coz there more mature) all contact info is at the site as well as the recremendations to join.. of couce it will be a fun clan.. every member will do his part and for that we shall suceed

i have even come up with the idea of members making reports after a mission just to give it that little more realism, the reason y am making like the RAF is for mainly thoes that cant make it in but want to be a pilot

all are welcome if you want more information then contact me dark_knight@the-spectrum.org

It Might just be a sim, But for you its a chance to be a RAF pilot

in case ure getting this game and wanting to join a squad for it

divert you eyes to 101st Squadron - The Guardians its a clan that i have started and as im a pilot For the RAF ill be training the members to the RAF standard and will be a tough clan.. mean no messing about in game enless i say and n disobeying of orders.. really this squad in the RAF for the Game  wink_o.gif any one thats 17+ may join (y 17+? well coz there more mature) all contact info is at the site as well as the recremendations to join.. of couce it will be a fun clan.. every member will do his part and for that we shall suceed

i have even come up with the idea of members making reports after a mission just to give it that little more realism, the reason y am making like the RAF is for mainly thoes that cant make it in but want to be a pilot

all are welcome if you want more information then contact me dark_knight@the-spectrum.org

It Might just be a sim, But for you its a chance to be a RAF pilot

Which planes do the RAF fly that are modelled in LOMAC? biggrin_o.gif j/k

yea yea very funny.. but then again they did say that they'll bring an update out where u can fly more planes including my beloved Tornado smile_o.gif

Yeah I'm sure someone will come up with something for that. An addon definately if they start making them biggrin_o.gif

I just saw the LOMAC video. Is it too much to ask to see the arrestor cables get caught with the arrestor hook? I know I'm being picky, but I've never seen this done in a simulator. Would it be too hard to just connect the wire with the hook when they touch?

Also, why isn't there any steam when you're catapulting? Do the Soviets not use a steam catapult? I dunno, but it would add to the immersion if they did.

the russians just use a ramp to launch there fightersto get it the lift and they use the afterburner to get it moving u may notice a barrier that appears behind the plane to help push it forward

GR4 Tornado

Nice  smile_o.gif  What squadron?

Oh and about the "barrier" that you see on aircraft carriers ; it's purpose is to deflect hot jet exhaust up and away from the deck so that it doesn't damage any aircraft and/or equipment that could be behind the aircraft when it is taking off and not to "push it forward" as you put it  wink_o.gifsmile_o.gif

well i dont no much about carriers biggrin_o.gif#

and im in 9th Squadron and are at fairford for the time being

Dude, why not fly with Falcon4 for the time being? Lo-mac isn't available yet. smile_o.gif

I think you could fly with the tornado too in SP3 right? I'm not sure though, haven't flown for a looong time and accidentally deleted my career sad_o.gif (there goes 70 flighthours plus my rank)

I think the arrestor cables move in Janes F/A-18, but I haven't played it for a while.  The movie's rpetty good, I really liked how the rotors of the Ka-27 folded up smile_o.gif

Anyone notice that huge missile two of the Flankers were carrying? (You get a good look at it around 1:49) Kh-41 Looks like some fun anti-shipping missions are on the way smile_o.gif. Another detail I just noticed - skidmarks on the runway when the two Flankers land at the end.

those are in FS2002, but they're pretty lamely done

i think the brits use a ramp at the end of some of their carriers too dark knight

The ramps allow for smaller aircraft carriers and also makes for one less thing to worry about maintaining (the catapults)

su33tkof.jpg

I guess whatever is most simple is best as long as it works.

Back in the space race days NASA spent hundreds of thousands of dollars designing a pen that could write upside down, in 0g, and could survive the stresses of launch and reentry.

The Soviets just used a pencil.

The ramps allow for smaller aircraft carriers and also makes for one less thing to worry about maintaining (the catapults)

But it must be hell on the landing gear.

Carriers in general are hell on the landing gear (but mostly  landing) which is why you can't just take any fighter and put an arrestor hook on it and land it on a carrier. A lot of strengthening has to be done to the gear. I can see how a ramp might make aborting a landing once you miss the wire more challenging, but I guess they must have thought of that.

Carriers in general are hell on the landing gear (but mostly  landing) which is why you can't just take any fighter and put an arrestor hook on it and land it on a carrier. A lot of strengthening has to be done to the gear. I can see how a ramp might make aborting a landing once you miss the wire more challenging, but I guess they must have thought of that.

Nah, it's the same old same old thing. The launch ramp is offset from the landing strip, so an abort is done in the normal fashion.

some non-carrier aircraft also have hooks but only for emergency landings.

one thing thats gonna be fun is air refuling biggrin_o.gif

"nearer , nearer , nearer , stop , to the right , a bit to the left STOP STOP STOP !!!!!!" *bang krasssh* "MY HEAD MY HEAD MY HEAD !"