Sign in to follow this  
Harnu

The american dream

Quote[/b] ]Materialistic nature of humans should not be condemned and it is something we all have. we need to feed ourselves and survive as much as we can. however trying to sacrifice non-materialistic part of human life to achieve the material. getting 100,000 bucks per year is nice, but if you have to work 12-14 hours a day, then you are a machine pursuing money, not a human.

It depends if it meaningful work or just plain crap that u work to the bone for while someone else reaps the rewards rock.gif

I`d give it all for a shot at the bigtime ghostface.gif

My idea of the American dream is pretty much exactly what Ralph said - you life is what you make of it. I ought to stress the YOU because nobody will help you get there. You reap your own rewards, not anybody else's. You also harvest your own failings.

I think a lot of the selfishness you see in American society stems from this - nobody's going to help you, so you're not going to help anyone. It's a shame, but I think that's what it takes to get rich - selfish pursuit of goals. I've known a lot of people like that.

I still love this axiom I once heard/read: "Citizens of the world work to live, but Americans live to work". I think that's very true.

A 7 door carage with a different porche for each week day,

10 underwear-models (WOMEN!!) just hanging around your Palace in their bikinis, tons of Marihuana  tounge_o.gif  

and your own Soccer field, golf range and a basket ball court...

thats about all  biggrin_o.gif

Guest DKM-jaguar

Hmmm... i guess this topic is about our view of americans' goals?

Well.. I think there's too much "america bashing" going on. No, not that people are being nasty about the US, but that they are saying the truth and some americans dont like to hear it so they say "US bashing" as a counter-argument .  rock.gif

My view of the american dream doesnt fit in with the people in america. I like most americans.. the odd few who say the folowing get on my nerves hugely:

Quote[/b] ] when the US get's involved you better beleive something gone change!
Quote[/b] ]It's hammer time!
Quote[/b] ]Blackhawk down really is an accurate portrayal of US armed force's skill

But these achingly cringe-worthy (and VERY inaccurate) scentences fall out of a minority of mouths, luckily.

My view of the american dream is not a good one. George Bush is largely to blame for that, saying that the US wont change it's pollution laws so it can protect their way of life, but somehow it's alright for them to demand every other country changes itself so that there is so much less pollution.

But i dont associate the average america with this, and i like the majority of the ones i have met.

But films like BHD make some beleive a lot of untrue stuff, which annoys me immensly.

Quote[/b] ]It's hammer time!

Sledge Hammer? rock.gif

Trust me, I know im doing. tounge_o.gif

Guest DKM-jaguar
Duh-duh-duh-duh-deedee-duh-duh de-duh -cant touch this!

Duh-duh-duh-duh-deedee-duh-duh de-duh -Hammer time!

Ohhohoh ohoohoh ohhoho

I have NO idea what you mean... but i like it! biggrin_o.gif

Duh-duh-duh-duh-deedee-duh-duh de-duh -cant touch this!

Duh-duh-duh-duh-deedee-duh-duh de-duh -Hammer time!

Ohhohoh ohoohoh ohhoho

I have NO idea what you mean... but i like it!  biggrin_o.gif

My god. Today's youngsters, no culture biggrin_o.gif

It's MC Hammer smile_o.gif

I'll admit I don't know Jack about the American Dream. Probably the same dream as every other individual in the world, house, wife, kids e.t.c.,............................

But the American Way, thats something only Non-Americans would truly know about. The American people happily go unawares whilist their government goes on a weekly world rampage of political arm-bending, Meddling with International affairs like it's their [American Accent] God given right [/American Accent].

*Sighs* If only America had of returned to Isolationism after WWII. The world would be different, but would the world dislike america like it does now. Probably not. Would America have the problems it has now with terrorists and George Dubya's 'unlawful combatants'. Also probably not.

*Sighs* If only America had of returned to Isolationism after WWII.

Bad idea.

Hmm, yeah, if you were in the red army's way, but we will never know.

Mind you the resultant cold war was based on suspicion of the intent of the other side

*Sighs* If only America had of returned to Isolationism after WWII.

Bad idea.

Probably. The Soviets weren't exactly peaceful angels. And the pissing contest between USA and Soviet has made an impact on the world. Who knows where we would be today without it.

Guest DKM-jaguar

That pissing contest did produce some interresting things though (mostly useless, but interresting)

Those huge tanks they produced, the Conqurer (UK)...that US one and the ISU (or is it Stalin) series of russian tanks were of no real tactical use, it was just a "look how big my tank is" to the enemy.

It's odd how these taks were massive blocks of metal and weighed over 60 tonnes in most casses yet the only gun fielded by any of the western variants was 120mm, which lookig at the size of these tanks (much much bigger than M1) and modern ones with the same caliber weapons, really doesnt make much sence even for show.

BTW: i knew about the "cant touch this" song, but i didnt know it said "it's hammer time" in it.. if it did then that makes Bush (or some random US general guy preparing his troops) even worse!... anyone would think the US is running out of cheesy sayings!  biggrin_o.gif20303111b.jpg conquorer

Richard Nixon broke the heart of the American Dream, according to Hunter S. Thompson, a Doctor of Journalism and Divinity ;)

I suppose it would include a white picket fence, two cars, a golden retriever, big garden with apple trees, beautiful wife and a few children.

The American Dream for me means the opportunity to go somewhere, make a new start, and live the life you want. The American Dream is from a time when America was still a very young nation and Imigrants from all over the world came to america to get a piece of farmland and start a better life as their own boss. Especially people from Europe, where there were many poor people and not much space for everyone, had this dream.

Nowadays the American Dream is just a catch phrase in commercials... sad_o.gif

*Sighs* If only America had of returned to Isolationism after WWII. The world would be different, but would the world dislike america like it does now. Probably not. Would America have the problems it has now with terrorists and George Dubya's 'unlawful combatants'. Also probably not.

Bad Idea if you are European. Remember the Marshall Plan?

The American Dream is different for every American and for every generation of Americans. For my grandparents who emigrated here from Europe, it was to find a decent job, buy a small house and car (used), get married, have children and get their kids an education so that they could do better than their parents did.

For my parents, it was to get a decent job, buy a nicer house (in a nicer suburb) than their parents had, buy a decent car (new), get married, have children and save enough money for those children to go to college. They also wanted time to enjoy their family, so they worked hard and got a decent enough job to be able to go on vacation each year so that my siblings and I would have good memeories of growing up. My Dad busted his ass going to night school to get a degree and get a better job for himself and us.

For me, it is to go to college, earn a professional degree, buy a decent house and car,get married, have children and save for my children's education (so they won't have to work their way through school like me), go on a decent vacation every summer, and be able to afford (monetarily and time-wise) a few hobbies here and there. Also, to spend quality time with my family.

I think for most Americans, the dream really is that simple. It just doesn't recieve the press hype or have the glamour of the small percentage of Americans who want to be movie starts or live ultra-rich decadent lifestyles. I think these people are actually a miniscule percentage of the American public. Most people just want to live simple, quiet, comfortable lives and to give their children a better life than they had themselves.

Ok, Schoeler and the rest of you:

The definitions that you have provided are fairly general in nature. So, my question is this:

What is unique about the "American dream"?

The definitions that you have provided are fairly general in nature. So, my question is this:

Good question, basically what schoeler said is what all humans want ... well most of them smile_o.gif

Well, that's not hard to answer!

The unique aspect of the american dream is that it's so widely distributed around the world - because it's so unbelievable adaptable!

Just ask yourself one question - have there ever been an "ideology" with more potential than the symbolism of consuming culture yet?

Nothings really unique about the American Dream. Just that they consume more and sacrifice less (of themselves) to achieve it.

@Schoeler, yes I know what the Marshall plan was, but that was to help Europe get on it's feet after WWII, and to resist communism. Had America returned to Isolationism after stability had been attained, there would be different views towards America today. But that's assuming the Soviets wouldn't support Communist revolutions further than the Eastern Bloc. (Highly Unlikely).

I'm not saying that the problem America is in at the moment is directly it's own fault, but I am saying that America sure has a unique way of pissing people other than Americans off. Thats the American way in international diplomacy.

Quote[/b] ]Nothings really unique about the American Dream. Just that they consume more and sacrifice less (of themselves) to achieve it.

I wouldn't entirely agree with you on this one. I'd say a big yes if you are refering to child work in the developing world. However, most - if not all - nations in the western hemisphere are equally guilty of that. Pollution - yes - but we do the same (forget about the Kyoto-agreement for now) .

And about sacrifice I'd say that the working hours are actually longer in US compared to much of the western world.

Their sacrifice is thus the private life - but that's their choice.

However, it is true that US consumes a disproportionate amount of the world's energy - and as a nation they are responsible for the single largest amount of polution.

Quote[/b] ]I'm not saying that the problem America is in at the moment is directly it's own fault, but I am saying that America sure has a unique way of pissing people other than Americans off. Thats the American way in international diplomacy.

No doubt you hit the nail spot on! But think about it, if pursue your own goals and you are the most powerful nation in the world - wouldn't you say it's only natural to speak harshly and use the gunboatdiplomacy in order to reach your goals?

I do agree with you that it would certainly be helpfull to be a wee bit more tactfull though. I remember Rummyboy saying something about Germany and France - "the old nations" - being "irrelevant" . I then start to wonder how it'll be for USA to live in an irrelevant world?

When I'm thinking American dream I immediatelly get the image from a typical Spielberg movie. IE quiet suburb, cars, lawn, playing kids, dogs barking etc.

But there's the extended version too smile_o.gif. It involves having a succesful business and making big bucks. Thus ensuring you can buy a house as far as possible from "annoying" neighbours as in the regular version smile_o.gif.

I guess the American Dream is to Americans what the "Folk-home" is to Swedes. More an image and "ideal state" than reallity. Utopia perhaps?

BM