Sign in to follow this  
ozanzac

Bis, flashpoint and ubisoft, what happened?

This has been bugging me for a few weeks, and hopefully, someone is able to tell me why codemasters published our all-time favourite game and not ubi-soft, particularly seeing as on the early flashpoint website, ubi-soft is listed as the publisher.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think Ubi-soft and codemasters were associates, so whats the reason behind the change in publishers? Money tounge_o.gif ? Technical Support rock.gif ?Timing wink_o.gif ? or business deal gone wrong blues.gif ?

Also, i'd like to hear your conspiracy theories, why codies and not Ubi!?

1st UBIsoft got exclusive deal on Tom Clancy games

2nd UBIsoft screwed any title they released to worse than it could be

3rd UBIsoft killed in fact BlueByte

4th there are some titles which got canceled or nearly died because of UBIsoft

I'm sure that it will BE terrible for us when UBIsoft published OFP , not to mention worse deal than CM offered ...

Yes CM got theirs IGI, but realized that it's awfull game early smile_o.gif... too much hype and result nowhere ...'

My own experience with ubisoft is terrible ... and i still not see any changes ...

1st UBIsoft got exclusive deal on Tom Clancy games

2nd UBIsoft screwed any title they released to worse than it could be

3rd UBIsoft killed in fact BlueByte

4th there are some titles which got canceled or nearly died because of UBIsoft

I'm sure that it will BE terrible for us when UBIsoft published OFP , not to mention worse deal than CM offered ...

Yes CM got theirs IGI, but realized that it's awfull game early smile_o.gif... too much hype and result nowhere ...'

My own experience with ubisoft is terrible ... and i still not see any changes ...

I concurr, thx goodness codemasters published ofp. I would have preferred sometin like infogrames or ea, but better codemasters than ubi

The only thing that sucks about CM is that they released in the UK first and waited almost 6 months to get it to the US, and that they don't advertise the game AT ALL!

Edit: And they delayed resistance 10 days! Bastards!

Yeah, thank god ubi didn't publish OFP, if they did I can almost guarantee you that there'd be 0 chance of OFP2(if OFP1 was even released by now). For all codemaster's faults, they're a thousand times better than ubisoft.

Although Codemasters is a much better publisher than UbiSoft, I must say that they really screwed up with the promotional/advertisment side for Flashpoint. Whenever I talk about Flashpoint, or am browsing a Flashpoint site. A passerby goes "Hey, whats that game?" When I say Operation Flashpoint, they just kinda give me a blank stare and ask "Uh whats that?" I am surprised that Flashpoint was able to sell over One million copies with such poor advertising. I was lucky to find it myself, I had never heard of it until I saw it when browsing a gamestore.

Although Codemasters is a much better publisher than UbiSoft, I must say that they really screwed up with the promotional/advertisment side for Flashpoint. Whenever I talk about Flashpoint, or am browsing a Flashpoint site. A passerby goes "Hey, whats that game?" When I say Operation Flashpoint, they just kinda give me a blank stare and ask "Uh whats that?" I am surprised that Flashpoint was able to sell over One million copies with such poor advertising. I was lucky to find it myself, I had never heard of it until I saw it when browsing a gamestore.

yeah i think the same way too, or those CM is many times better then UBI, they fail to make OFP into a famous title(or though OFP is a ordinary type of FPS which not many ppl will interested with......)

Quote[/b] ]yeah i think the same way too, or those CM is many times better then UBI, they fail to make OFP into a famous title(or though OFP is a ordinary type of FPS which not many ppl will interested with......)

But, Op Flash isn't/wasn't just a FPS. It is a combat/battlefield simulator, that involved most of the aspects of military operations. If anything it's a realistic FPS, where it doesn't take a hundred rounds to take down just one guy, and where other factors effect the effectiveness of force, I.E., weather the weapon is silenced or not.

Realism could have been a major drawcard for more sales had codemasters wished it, and I know I bought the game on it's merits, not on advertising, or it's arcadiness.

Anyway, that doesn't really matter, for we are proof of the successfulness of the game. Hanging around forums waiting for news biggrin_o.gif .

But what was the reason the publisher changed, even though it was probably for the good of the game. Was BIS unhappy, or did they get screwed over? Or a combination? None the less, we, the consumers were obviously happy with the change, but I'd still like to know why, if it's possible to comment on.

I was a Codemasters fan when the first TOCA came out, it had the best driving physics of any game out there and I loved it. smile_o.gif

One thing that has always puzzled me: when I first started playing Flashpoint, I couldnt help feeling that the driving/land-vehicle physics felt somewhat familiar.

I always wondered if Codemasters assisted or contributed in any way to the physics...

Quote[/b] ]yeah i think the same way too, or those CM is many times better then UBI, they fail to make OFP into a famous title(or though OFP is a ordinary type of FPS which not many ppl will interested with......)

But, Op Flash isn't/wasn't just a FPS. It is a combat/battlefield simulator, that involved most of the aspects of military operations. If anything it's a realistic FPS, where it doesn't take a hundred rounds to take down just one guy, and where other factors effect the effectiveness of force, I.E., weather the weapon is silenced or not.

Realism could have been a major drawcard for more sales had codemasters wished it, and I know I bought the game on it's merits, not on advertising, or it's arcadiness.

thats why we love this game so much~ smile_o.gif

The only thing that sucks about CM is that they released in the UK first and waited almost 6 months to get it to the US, and that they don't advertise the game AT ALL!

Edit: And they delayed resistance 10 days! Bastards!

uhm OFP was released on june 21st in Europe and in the beginning of september in USA. A few weeks later the 1.2 patch was released to the rest of the world.

I count 2 1/2 months in difference. Is that close to 6?

Get your facts straight, BD  rock.gif

As for the europeans got the game first I'm very happy with, Americans get most of all the games that are made before anyone else anyway smile_o.gif You have nothing to whine about smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]thats why we love this game so much~

Precisely biggrin_o.gifwink_o.gif

IIRC in the old old days the original Opf publisher went belly up (bust, chapter 11 etc.) don't recall that being Ubisoft unless it was some kind of subsidiary or something. Clearly CM did nothing like the amount of advertising/pushing that Opf deserved, I don't think anyone can disagree with that, it sold the amount it sold purely on its merits, and in this day and age that's rare, hopefully CM will support Opf2 much much better.

I think Talonsoft or Digital Integration-something was the first to approach BIS. I may be wrong though.

The only thing that sucks about CM is that they released in the UK first and waited almost 6 months to get it to the US !

Tehehehehe biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Shadow Posted on Aug. 30 2003,20:51

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think Talonsoft or Digital Integration-something was the first to approach BIS. I may be wrong though.

placebo Posted on Aug. 30 2003,20:20

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IIRC in the old old days the original Opf publisher went belly up (bust, chapter 11 etc.) don't recall that being Ubisoft unless it was some kind of subsidiary or something. Clearly CM did nothing like the amount of advertising/pushing that Opf deserved, I don't think anyone can disagree with that, it sold the amount it sold purely on its merits, and in this day and age that's rare, hopefully CM will support Opf2 much much better.

Check out the 1999 flashpoint site through the BIS Fun Page, and about half way down the bottom of the page it says

Quote[/b] ]6th August 1999

Flash Point has a new publisher - UbiSoft will publish the game.

So this add's another twist in the publication of OFP as we know it. This peice of info, which I overlooked, means that indeed, as Shadow and placebo mentioned, that OFP had a publisher before Codemasters, (Ubi-Soft) and that before this, BIS had another deal in the line up.

It seems it's been a miracle that OFP was ever released, let alone when and where!

Thus we should all think about just how hard the team at BIS worked to get this game off the ground. I mean, come on, imagine how much bull$#!t they would have gone through.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found this link, amazingly still functioning.

http://www.tacsim.com/sniper/flash_point/index.shtml

Please, post your reactions here, I think we're all intrigued.

Aaaah those were the days tounge_o.gif

I remember reading every interview and tried to dream/picture in my head how things looked and worked biggrin_o.gif

I still think the best OFP-gunsounds were those in the first formal promo-video rock.gif

I liked the UH60 sound... tounge_o.gif

The explosions looked a bit better in the old old version of Flashpoint as well, and the tanks shook more in 1st person view...

Edit: and the link to the theme is broken.

The only thing that sucks about CM is that they released in the UK first and waited almost 6 months to get it to the US

/me looks at his UK import version of OFP 1.0. Who didn't get it? :P