Sign in to follow this  
Renagade

Now we get our cars chipped  :/

As long as they don't connect those chips to GPS systems to determine how much I'm speeding on a given road, and automatically give me a fine, thats fine by me.

*gets in a shitty mood about the future of traffic law enforcement and the current draconian speed limits and enforcements crazy_o.gif

Actually, as far as i'm concerned, they can chip every fucking car in the world and give everyone that drives too hard a biiiig fine.

I'm sorry but driving way too fast is just something that should not be accepted. Only cops and stuff like that should be able to drive fast...

I don't care if someone drives 200km/h in his garden, if they have a crash and die... well it's their own fault. However, when you drive on the street, you are a danger to everyone.

And that's the sad part, once again, the most victims fall at the side of the innocent ppl...

As long as they don't connect those chips to GPS systems to determine how much I'm speeding on a given road, and automatically give me a fine, thats fine by me.

*gets in a shitty mood about the future of traffic law enforcement and the current draconian speed limits and enforcements crazy_o.gif

Actually, as far as i'm concerned, they can chip every fucking car in the world and give everyone that drives too hard a biiiig fine.

I'm sorry but driving way too fast is just something that should not be accepted.  Only cops and stuff like that should be able to drive fast...

I don't care if someone drives 200km/h in his garden, if they have a crash and die... well it's their own fault.  However, when you drive on the street, you are a danger to everyone.

And that's the sad part, once again, the most victims fall at the side of the innocent ppl...

Totally with you Darklight. I think i read a couple of years ago that if everyone reduced their speed by 5mph it would cut accidents by 30%!

You can order a GPS tracking system for basically every middle-class limousine (or even motorcycle) here in Germany. Once installed you pay a lot less insurance and you can call the production company to get in touch with the police once the car has been stolen. At the same time the company can lock down you car so the motor turns off immediately and nothing moves anymore.

The trick is only that they have to install the piece always in a different place so the car-thiefs cant simply rip it out without having to search the entire vehicule

GPS2000.jpg

Speed = more accidents is nonsense.  

Its inappropriate speed, for example in built up areas that causes accidents.  Raw speed alone has nothing to do with it; its driving too fast for the conditions.  Its safer to drive at 90MPH on a motorway* than 31 MPH in a street, disproving this 'all speed is bad' gibberish.

*Obviously with light traffic.

It is also a proven fact, that speed limits on long distances can cause drouwziness (now how the hell do you spell that) and cause a lack of concentration.

For that reason you find changing speed limits on German highways (even where it is not necessarily required). I am more concentrated if I drive on high speed for 2 hours than monotonous 120 km/h for 3 hours. And I know what I am talking about!

High speeds keeps you more aware of the enviroment. I mean you aren't likely to slip up when you are competing with the car infront of you to get were ever you are heading first. But at "low" speeds like 120 km/h you are more likely to loose focus and crash into someone driving slower than you.

Also, please take into consideration that when the police sais that an accident happened because both were driving faster than the speed limit, then this can also just mean 1-20 km/h faster than allowed.

This is rarely the cause of an accident. I think most accidents happen because drugs are involved, insufficient sleep, insufficient space between driving cars, or other traffic-regulations are being ignored (and probably because some racing teenagers drive up to 100 km/h faster than allowed).

And cell phones.  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif

On-topic, I think chipped cars are a great idea. I think that as long as it can't be abused (typically by the government) than having a tracking chip in the car is a great idea. If I have my car stolen, I'd like to know that I'd have a good chance of getting it back before it's stripped.

As for tracking cars for law enforcement purposes... I can't say that I really mind. Yeah, I drive too fast sometimes, but if they can make a chip that detects every time someone swerves dangerously, changes lanes without a turn signal or drives at 150% of the posted speed limit, I'd be happy.

Cars are a privilage, not a right. I think a lot of people forget that.

And cell phones.  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif

Here here! Of corse the goverment is going to abuse this. crazy_o.gif

Most likely it`ll  be  used  to r ip us  off even  more rock.gif

Quote[/b] ]Cars are a privilage, not a right. I think a lot of people forget that.

Thats a bit like the issue of self defense here rock.gif

Cars or some other personal transport is a necessity in most walks of life,what else is there apart from the bog standard rail and bus services rock.gif

Hey, where I live (or used to live) there was NO bus OR rail services within 5 miles.  You simply had to have a car.  Of course, I do think that you should have to pass very stringent tests to be allowed on the roads.  More stringent than now, if possible, but with more emphasis on showing skill at driving, controlling the vehicle, etc.  Much like the advanced driving test.

Taxis were about 40 quid for 7 miles, as well.

*edit* the bus services 5 miles away weren't that great either, and took a long time to get to the major city nearby which is where most people worked, and the train station was.

Quote[/b] ]Major Gripe Posted on Aug. 28 2003,13:03

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote (DarkLight @ Aug. 27 2003,18:57)

Quote (ozanzac @ Aug. 25 2003,13:59)

*gets in a shitty mood about the future of traffic law enforcement and the current draconian speed limits and enforcements

I'm sorry but driving way too fast is just something that should not be accepted. Only cops and stuff like that should be able to drive fast...

I don't care if someone drives 200km/h in his garden, if they have a crash and die... well it's their own fault. However, when you drive on the street, you are a danger to everyone.

Totally with you Darklight. I think i read a couple of years ago that if everyone reduced their speed by 5mph it would cut accidents by 30%!

Hmm... I doubt that you two live in a country where open roads of nothingness and good driving weather is common.

What kills people the most on our roads are drugs, drowsiness and lack of skill. In my state, people are able to get there probationary licences at 16 and a half. I concede that this is very low, and the fact that it is very low has contributed to many unnecessary deaths. More often than not, it is there inability to drive to the conditions that results in accidents, and indirectly speed.

Age isn't the greatest problem. The licensing system is. Basically, you could be a complete Unco, and still have a license to drive any car you like

The problem is, they speed at the wrong times, like in fog, in urban areas, in the wet, in cars that are barely roadworthy. What is of more concern, is that they often speed to impress their freinds.

Too many of my freinds have had accidents in this manner. They sped at the wrong time, spun and wrecked the car, though thankfully so far no-one has been injured.

Speed can be a contributing factor to accidents, but police and governments should look deeper into the issue. It's inattention and inexperience that's causing accidents. This is why I loathe Speed Cameras, and why I will loathe GPS tracking systems on cars. It's anoher way for the govenment to get more money outta the public, whilist claiming it's for road safety.

Speeding is safe, given the right conditions, proper equiptment and proper driver training is available. Unfortunatly, alot of people listen to the government, and drive only with there eyes on the speedometer, and not on the road