Sign in to follow this  
Tovarish

New wwii sub sim coming in 2004

Check it out:

http://www.akella.com/dev-pt-en.shtml

Quote[/b] ]Akella has become famous for its marine games based on cutting edge 3D sea technology. Our company now offers a new level of realism and graphics in the upcoming simulator PT Boats: Knights of the Sea. Start your career in a mosquito fleet of the Allied Forces, Russia or Germany and take part in bloody World War II battles.

Take command of a boat and control each member of the crew. Shoot down aircraft using machineguns and anti-aircraft guns, torpedo hostile destroyers and supply ships, "entertain" uninvited guests with cannon fire, plan group attacks – essentially, do whatever you like. Any operation can be entrusted to the AI or handled on your own.

PT Boats: Knights of the Sea is powered by an improved version of the STORM 2 used in the award wining Pirates of the Caribbean. The STORM 2.5 engine enables the creation of unique special effects like ocean waves from explosions, tracing the tracks of various types of boats, illustrating the boats gliding, realistic collision damage, damage from assorted types of ammunition and so much more! Our close cooperation with 1С: Maddox Games, the leading flight simulator developers and renowned for IL-2 Sturmovik, allowed us to create historically accurate and detailed aircraft models.

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

I just hope they don't go with Ubi as their international publisher.

I know I'm dreaming, but now all we need is another of Maddox Games sister companies to make a WWII tank sim and then integrate them all with Forgotten battles biggrin_o.gif.

*edit* Anyone else find it very interesting, that despite the consensus that the Eastern Bloc missed the age of computarization big time, so many groundbreaking simulations are coming from those countries? (OFP, IL-2, Lo-Mac, PT Boats...)

Tovarish I honestly think the developers in those countries had some "dreams" or images of what they would like to see in a computer simulation/game. They simply start by working on that and later see how well they can market the product.

Which is the opposite of many Western developers who gain general game making skills from known places and then work on anything that some marketing experts approve will be biggest. (well the big popular titles).

Me likey, no matter where it comes from. And it is absolutely true that a rising number of stunning games are coming from the former Eastern Bloc. I doubt they do any more or less dreaming than Western developers, but their market is at a different stage of growth. They're at the point market-wise that we were when guys like Sid Meier were blazing trails, except they now have computing power to fully realize their concepts.

Tovarish I honestly think the developers in those countries had some "dreams" or images of what they would like to see in a computer simulation/game.  They simply start by working on that and later see how well they can market the product.

Which is the opposite of many Western developers who gain general game making skills from known places and then work on anything that some marketing experts approve will be biggest. (well the big popular titles).

Yep, the Eastern European game industry is less jaded and loaded with fresh new ideas.

BIS, Illusion Softworks, Maddox games, croteam etc.

all from Eastern Europe and all makers of innovative and fun games. smile_o.gif

I`m a little doubtful on this game it looks like it could do quite good or bomb quite badly rock.gif

@ Aug. 19 2003,19:13)]Me likey, no matter where it comes from. And it is absolutely true that a rising number of stunning games are coming from the former Eastern Bloc. I doubt they do any more or less dreaming than Western developers, but their market is at a different stage of growth. They're at the point market-wise that we were when guys like Sid Meier were blazing trails, except they now have computing power to fully realize their concepts.

It's an international market, so I don't think that makes any difference.

Former eastern bloc countries always however had very strong theoretical higher education especially in math and physics. Those things come very handy when you make games.

Furthermore game development requires very little infrastructure so that they can compete at an equal level with their western counterparts.

Looks like it could be interesting, but I'm not that much into WW2.  If it was only modern day, or even better yet in the late sixties through eighties in the heart of the cold war....

Would be nice to walk around inside in the sub.

@ Aug. 19 2003,19:13)]Me likey, no matter where it comes from. And it is absolutely true that a rising number of stunning games are coming from the former Eastern Bloc. I doubt they do any more or less dreaming than Western developers, but their market is at a different stage of growth. They're at the point market-wise that we were when guys like Sid Meier were blazing trails, except they now have computing power to fully realize their concepts.

It's an international market, so I don't think that makes any difference.

Former eastern bloc countries always however had very strong theoretical higher education especially in math and physics. Those things come very handy when you make games.

Furthermore game development requires very little infrastructure so that they can compete at an equal level with their western counterparts.

You yet didt see PERIMETER biggrin_o.gif

Wow! After being away some time since I posted the thread about Pirates of the caribbean, where I also learned that Sid Meier is back with a Pirates sequel, I now get to know that Akella is developing this wonder of the world  wink_o.gif  too  smile_o.gif

I have always loved WW2 subsims. They are so wonderfully calm and peaceful for the most time, and then all of a sudden I sit there with a pulse of 130 for some time while the destroyers are cruising the water above trying to find my position, to deliver those nasty sinking surprises...

I have this 'simple technology warfare' kink. I love WW1 flightsims and WW2 subsims, probably much because of the little romantic shimmering around these pioneer-times (which is also very present in OFP for various reasons, especially with mods like Invasion 1944). I also recon this is part of my fashination of RPG's where one fight with primitive wapons like swords and cannons/catapults. Thinking about it, all fairytales about knights in shiny armour is basically nothing but war-romantics.. Primitive warfare rules! smile_o.gif

I bought Silent Hunter II when it came out some year ago, but never played it much for some reason (not a very innovative design I guess). But I remember playing Aces of the deep much on a portable computer out in the garden in summer '97, and also good old Silent Service back in the Atari 520 times.

And now it seems like both some promising WW1 flightsims and WW2 subsims are in the making!

Regarding the eastern nations great innovative game developing, I really think they have a much stronger motivation and inspiration to create real quality games than their western counterparts do. Complex things like everything, parts like high education, market development and general hopes of the future surely play in.

Lets just enjoy it while it lasts, but who knows, maybe the African/Mideast/Latin Americans/Chinese/South-east Asian gaming developers will rule in the future once the 'eastern nations' becomes jaded and blasé... well.. except BIS ofcourse  smile_o.gif