Sign in to follow this  
USSoldier11B

Beer thread

I was under the impression beer (any alcohol for that matter) was very expensive in scandanavian countries. 5 euro's for half a liter isnt THAT bad for a restaurant smile_o.gif Sweden is the exception to that rule?

That *is* expensive crazy_o.gif In most of the EU you can get beer in a pub for about 2 €.. Well, I think at least you can rock.gif

Alcohol is bloody expensive in Sweden. Some examples:

Cheep Beer, 0.5 L - 15 €

Cheep Wine, 0.75 L - 5 €

Drinkable Wine 0.75 L - 10 €

Beefeater London Dry Gin, 1 L - 40 €

Baileys, Irish Cream , 1 L - 35 €

Absolut Vodka, 1 L - 35 €

Glenmorangie (single malt) , 1 L - 87 €

I was under the impression beer (any alcohol for that matter) was very expensive in scandanavian countries. 5 euro's for half a liter isnt THAT bad for a restaurant smile_o.gif Sweden is the exception to that rule?

That *is* expensive  crazy_o.gif In most of the EU you can get beer in a pub for about 2 €.. Well, I think at least you can  rock.gif

Alcohol is bloody expensive in Sweden. Some examples:

Cheep Beer, 0.5 L - 15 €

Cheep Wine, 0.75 L - 5 €

Drinkable Wine 0.75 L - 10 €

Beefeater London Dry Gin, 1 L - 40 €

Baileys, Irish Cream , 1 L  - 35 €

Absolut Vodka, 1 L - 35 €

Glenmorangie (single malt) , 1 L - 87 €

Ok 15 euro's for 0.5 liters of beer is very expensive. Here that would run you about 3,5 euro's for the same amount. smile_o.gif

Well, as a beer conoisseur of sorts (16 years experience), I would recommend the following:

Australian (all from Carlton & United breweries):

- Carlton Draught

- Melbourne Bitter

- Crown Lager

International

- Caffrey's (Irish)

- Kilkenny (Irirsh)

- Saporo (Japanese)

- Stella Artois (Belgium ?)

Didn't we already do this once?

Good discussions about good beer are never overdone biggrin_o.gif.

Keep up the suggestions, I just found out that I'll be going to two different cottage parties in the next three weeks, so knowing some good stuff to bring could be useful smile_o.gif

Well, you should try Okocim or Zywiec at the local LCBO, if they aren't out again, that stuff flies off the shelves. biggrin_o.gif It's not that expensive either. (unless you "been there done that") tounge_o.gif

I remember when I went to Cuba in '98, I went to a club with some old friends, and all the beer was priced in dollars, but shots of Havana Club Rum were 2 pesos each (exchange rate was 11 pesos to the American dollar). We got good and buzzed that night biggrin_o.gif. No legal drinking age there either, we were all 14-17. Good times smile_o.gif.

Quote[/b] ]Well, you should try Okocim or Zywiec at the local LCBO, if they aren't out again, that stuff flies off the shelves. It's not that expensive either. (unless you "been there done that")

Nope, I haven't had anything Polish actually. I'll giive it a try smile_o.gif.

Ok 15 euro's for 0.5 liters of beer is very expensive. Here that would run you about 3,5 euro's for the same amount. smile_o.gif

Sorry, typo. It should say 1.5 € / 0.5 liters. I'm talking about store prices, not restaurant.

So 3.5 € you say. That's bloody expensive for cheep beer. You live in the Netherlands, right?

I thought only Finland had more expensive alcohol than we have. Apparently not wow_o.gif

Great Divide Brewery in Denver produces a series they call Maverick that is only sold in 22 oz. bombers. The IPA they make is one of the best I've tasted...and the Imperial Stout is one of the few stouts I actually enjoy. At 9.5% alcohol they pack a wallop too....the downside is that they are $4.99 a 22 oz. bottle...which is as much as imported "real" European bombers are. But it's well worth the price.

turms

Quote[/b] ]doesnt that depend on the state that you live in? I have allways imagined it does.

Not being charged as an adult, or for the selective service, but other than those I think so.

Leone

Quote[/b] ]Are you sure that's always the case? rock.gif

It's not, but it's a general guideline.

crazy_o.gif anyway, i've heard of a lot of microbrewerys around where i live, i'll have to check them out when I get my fake ID... i mean when i get old enough.

what? rock.gif

Sorry, typo. It should say 1.5 € / 0.5 liters. I'm talking about store prices, not restaurant.

So 3.5 € you say. That's bloody expensive for cheep beer. You live in the Netherlands, right?

I thought only Finland had more expensive alcohol than we have. Apparently not  wow_o.gif

I was talking price in a bar smile_o.gif Offcourse if you get it at the lidl its something like 0,30 Euro. smile_o.gif But i hardly ever drink at home so i dont buy much beer at stores wink_o.gif

I already posted in the various related threads before, that I live in heaven. Munich, Germany that is tounge_o.gif

Unfortunatly I prefer Pils, which is pretty rare here, compared to the usual 'Helles', which is less bitter then Pils.

Of the locals Augustiner Edelstoff is one of the best. As for others, Weissbier is not bad either, eg. Franziskaner or Erdinger.

Overall, Karlsberg Urpils (quite bitter) and Bitburger Pils are my favorites...

Ouch, a beer thread after a weekend of drinking beer in the sun...that reminds me of my hangover yesterday...

Anyway, I live in Munich, too and it's hard to keep being sober over here...fantastic beers all over the place and an appropriate drinking culture surrounding you.

If you are in for a serious headcrash visit the Andechs monastery west of Munich and have a Doppelbock Dunkel, this should leave even the most serious drinkers tits up...at least you pass out in style and with a heavenly taste on your swollen tongue!

Kloster Andechs

As this beer is not suited for everyday use I suggest to try the pinnacle of mass-produced Pils beer, a good old Becks, which tastes better in the small bottles (0.33 l) or, even better from the tap although it seems to be quite rare.

My favourite beer when I was young: Rothaus Tannenzäpfle but that was a long time ago and I remember getting serious headaches from it, maybe due to quantity. Anyway, it's yummy!

and then there's always Guinness....I dunno anyone who doesn't like that beer.

Beer crazy_o.gifpuke.gif

Yuck! crazy_o.gif  mad_o.gif Beer is drink for little teenagers that are allowed to go on their first pub crawl.

Beer is not a men's drink, beer is a drink for adolescents.

If you are a true, real and masculine man, you will drink something like the following:

36_bottle.jpg

Oddbins continues to offer amazing exclusives to our malt-hungry customers. This latest, distilled in 1966 at the famous Dalwhinnie distillery high up in the mountains, is a release of only 1500 bottles worldwide. Bottled at its natural cask strength of 47.2%, it is a rare treat indeed.

TASTING NOTE

Notes of heather and peat, and a hint of sherry on the nose. The palate is lively and rich with heather, honey and smokey vanilla to the fore.

Yummy smile_o.gif 350 GBP per bottle though.

How about this one:

38729_bottle.jpg

Bruichladdich 1970 44.2%

A fascinating contrast to the regular expressions available, Bruichladdich have produced this blend chosen from casks of whisky all distilled in 1970. Smoother than Barry White.

TASTING NOTE

The nose is replete with mint, toffee, oak, honeysuckle and citrus fruit scents. The palate is sensational and richly-textured with coconut and hazlenut notes, and a dazzlingly long finish.

Each bottle "just" 130 GBP!

This is my favourite:

79791_bottle.jpg

Macallan 1861 Replica

In 1998 the distillery acquired a very rare bottle of The Macallan 1861 from a private collection. A tiny sample was taken and tasted. The malt was sensational, distinctly Macallan but with a personality all of its own. After sampling 16,000 casks of modern malt, it has now been recreated...

TASTING NOTE

A world away from the style of malt enjoyed by modern day whisky lovers, the 1861 is surprisingly youthful with notes of citrus, dried fruits, toffee and apple. The palate is fragrant and complex with a sweet, malty finish.

Just 100 GBP for an 1861 imitate :0 One bottle of that is soon coming my way biggrin_o.gif

Of course, if you lack the big money, you can always stick to more common ones, such as Talisker or abanadh (sp?) or Johnny Walker Black Label smile_o.gif Single malts own blends any day though  wink_o.gif

rock.gif

Here in America hard liqour is mainly for alcoholics and teenagers (McCormick Vodka is only like $8.00 for a 1.75l bottle, so you and 5 other guys can get drunk for less than $2.00 a piece, economical for high school students.)...as is cheapy macro-brew beer.

I don't see anything sissy about a double shot of Jameson in a pint of Guinness... tounge_o.gif

Beer crazy_o.gifpuke.gif

Yuck! crazy_o.gif  mad_o.gif Beer is drink for little teenagers that are allowed to go on their first pub crawl.

Beer is not a men's drink, beer is a drink for adolescents.

The funny thing is, in my part of the world, it's the exact opposite...

Little teens out for the first drinks invariably drink spirits, mixed drinks and those prepackaged alcoholic soda pops. It's mainly the working class, older crowd who drink beer in the pubs I go to.

I love beer. But I also love Scotch.

Quote[/b] ]I love beer. But I also love Scotch.

A man after my own heart...I also like a good tequila, like Patron. ::hick:: :::burp:: crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I love beer. But I also love Scotch.

A man after my own heart...I also like a good tequila, like Patron. ::hick:: :::burp:: crazy_o.gif

Ahh, tequila- the original time-travel device

-SkyQuake @ July 13 2003,16:34)]Ceres Royal

Royal.jpg

Lemme guess: Your single? biggrin_o.gif Man i had that too but the girlfriend threw it away .... *snif* ah to be single and a college student wink_o.gif

@ July 14 2003,11:53)]Ahh, tequila- the original time-travel device

LOL you just reminded me of something

Click on "Sound Advice" in my sig biggrin_o.gif

And here in Canada High School kids will drink whatever the hell they can get their hands on:

whodunnit.jpg

Most of that stuff I wouldn't drink today biggrin_o.gif

whodunnit.jpg

Its to carefully laid out to represent nothing but i cant for the life of me make out what it is rock.gif

Its to carefully laid out to represent nothing but i cant for the life of me make out what it is  rock.gif

Me smile_o.gif

(think movies with homicide detectives, chalk....)

Its to carefully laid out to represent nothing but i cant for the life of me make out what it is  rock.gif

Me smile_o.gif

(think movies with homicide detectives, chalk....)

LOL I assume you had help drinking all that beer otherwise the chalk outline idea must have been not that far fetched wink_o.gif

lol Yeah. It was between 6 of us (well, 4 and two semi-non drinkers who had like 1 each)...and I think it was after the end of a weekend.

Well, as a beer conoisseur of sorts (16 years experience), I would recommend the following:

Australian (all from Carlton & United breweries):

- Carlton Draught

- Melbourne Bitter

- Crown Lager

International

- Caffrey's (Irish)

- Kilkenny (Irirsh)

- Saporo (Japanese)

- Stella Artois (Belgium ?)

Yes Stella Artois is a Belgian beer...