Sign in to follow this  
maruk

Addons at ease

And how are you, BIS, going to make sure people follow the rules about AAE? like the tags and missions included, will we need to send them to you first for review and then you make a list of all AAE reviewed addons? rock.gif

We can't make sure that people will do everything properly for every addon released using the installer (we will make the installer limited by the eula that says the conditions of use containing the rules but it doesn't block anyone from not doing it properly). This is a kind of open standard and we believe it's on behalf of the entire community.

What we offer is to promote the best At Ease compliant addons at our official website to give more recognition to such high quality work and it's creators.

We don't aim to try to change the way how are addons released and used in the modding community. Our main goal is to make the best addons much more accessible to general public.

Also, the entire initiative is not only for Operation Flashopint but it is also a test how to do improve it for Operation Flashpoint 2.

Hi Maruk (or any other BIS guy reading this),

Great work on the installer. I'm pretty sure it will become a succes. I'll do my very best to be one of the biggest supporters for the AAE system.

smile_o.gif

A question:

- Where can I find the EULA for the MSI-creator tool?

A request:

- Can you please give a template for the addon-EULA, or a textblock that can be added to the addon-EULA, ensuring the rights of BIS.

I've noticed a bug with the installer:

If you already have one addon installed with the AAE installer you can't install another one. In Add/Remove programs an addon seems to show up as "OFP Addon TAGAddonName" no matter what the addon was actually called.

Great idea this AAE initiative, hopefully this will give the OFP addon community the boost it needs. Good luck with it BIS wink_o.gif

A question:

- Where can I find the EULA for the MSI-creator tool?

A request:

- Can you please give a template for the addon-EULA, or a textblock that can be added to the addon-EULA, ensuring the rights of BIS.

Please understand this is a betaversion. Generally, the utility is free to use for anything (but we hope it'll help Operation Flashopint).

Yes, there'll be a special part that has to go to the usual EULA for the addons (and we'll give you a good template you may use for your addons).

Thanks for your support!

Questions:

Do you need to download the msi-info.bin file?

What is this file and why would you download it?

When i create the msi file the tool also creates a msi-info.bin file with it... just wondering if it does do anything wink_o.gif

ok thanks for the info smile_o.gif

The msi-info.bin is intended for eventual creation of patches. More info will follow soon about making patches (but we don't like patches for the addons too much but we underestand it can be necessary sometimes)

I've noticed a bug with the installer:

If you already have one addon installed with the AAE installer you can't install another one. In Add/Remove programs an addon seems to show up as "OFP Addon TAGAddonName" no matter what the addon was actually called.

I confirm the bug. I reproduced it on my PC easily. Shall be fixed in the final release. Thanks for reporting!

Using the MSI maker, you can only place addons in the <ofp>\Addons directory.

I hope the final version will also support the <ofp>\Res\Addons directory.

And a custom for Mods, .../MOD/Addons you know the thing.. wow_o.gif

What we offer is to promote the best At Ease compliant addons at our official website to give more recognition to such high quality work and it's creators.

Cooooool !!

That definitely is cool.  The utility seems very practical.  Ill use it.  However, I got one question regarding past addons.  Some of us have had addons out a while that we would like to have compliant.  Going back and changing all the texture and model names could be a potential problem.  Other than that, making the appropriate script changes for functions, global variables and whatnot should go over fine.  Is it necessary for past addons to follow the TAG naming scheme for every texture and model?  I hope you guys could give us some leeway for our past addons.  Future addons will definitely follow these guidelines.  Murak or Suma, is it possible to have a little more freedom with converting our past addons over?   biggrin_o.gif

And a custom for Mods, .../MOD/Addons  you know the thing..  wow_o.gif

This would be perfect. However, the installer would have to check OFP's version.

If 1.46 and below, then only the \Addons\ folder is available.

If 1.75 and above, then there are 3 choices:

1. Folder \Addons\

2. Folder \Res\Addons\

3. A mod folder's \Addons\ subfolder.

Marek, will this be supported by the installer?

I dont know where else to post this.So here goes my prob.Why is it I git an error every time I use this tool.

Dont wrry about me I found a neat little installer program.Its not as easy to use as AAE.But it gets the job done for now.

Dont wrry about me I found a neat little installer program.Its not as easy to use as AAE.But it gets the job done for now.

Two things:

1. What the other installer?

2. Have you read through the thread regarding BIS' support and promotion only for addons packed as AAE files?

Whatever BIS could release, I hope the final release AAE installer will be available as soon as possible. Any ETA date ?

Two things:

2. Have you read through the thread regarding BIS' support and promotion only for addons packed as AAE files?

1.Setup Factory 6.0

2.yes

IV) The included sample mission(s) should not require any other addons beside of the addons being installed as part of the At Ease package and official BIS content included in Operation Flashpoint version 1.91.

Again, i have to say, i disagree with that point, or at least think it should be flexible.

What are we meant to do, for example, if a helicopter has a rotorwash script that makes soldiers cough and blink? If we dont use a unit with goggles, and the player is soldier, they could not even stand close the chopper and look at it (due to the blinking). It is just plain practical to use our own units in such a case, most people already have them, and if we did not we would get lots of emails asking "Why didn't you use the delta/ rangers in xx mission?", or have to maintain 2 versions of the same mission (4 actually, due to coop/sp).

Or, for example a delta ranger specific mission, are we meant to insert them with BIS blackhawks, when there are nice littlebirds available? From my perspective, that defeats the greater scope of what BAS make, and doesn't provide BAS fans with what they enjoy.

If 1.46 and below, then only the \Addons\ folder is available.

Remember to that :

Quote[/b] ]5) We consider version 1.90 / 1.91 as the only one supported platform for this initiative.

First page for this topic, first message smile_o.gif

Vladimir

Two things:

1.Setup Factory 6.0

2.yes

Read this:

Quote[/b] ]SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT AND WARRANTY STATEMENT (TRIAL VERSION)

*** This is a trial version of Setup Factory. It is for testing/evaluation purposes only. You can not distribute any of the applications/runtimes generated by this trial version. ***

(etc. etc.)

Clickteam's installmaker is a nice alternative:

http://www.clickteam.com/English/download_main.php3?PID=4

Installmaker docs for OFP:

http://www.korpsmariniers.com/download/installmaker-tutorial.pdf

Maybe use

Two things:

1.Setup Factory 6.0

2.yes

Read this:

Quote[/b] ]SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT AND WARRANTY STATEMENT (TRIAL VERSION)

*** This is a trial version of Setup Factory.  It is for testing/evaluation purposes only.  You can not distribute any of the applications/runtimes generated by this trial version. ***

(etc. etc.)

Clickteam's installmaker is a nice alternative:

http://www.clickteam.com/English/download_main.php3?PID=4

Installmaker docs for OFP:

http://www.korpsmariniers.com/download/installmaker-tutorial.pdf

Maybe use

Did I say anything about a Trail version.

(...)

Did I say anything about a Trail version.

Wow... you spend $395.00 for an installer? wow_o.gif

Or is there a free version I don't know of?

Wow... you spend $395.00 for an installer? wow_o.gif

Or is there a free version I don't know of?

I didnt pay for it,But it is paid for I just borrowed.Anyways this is getting way off the subject.No offense.

If I may make a simple suggestion... if the BSI team is going to be supporting the mods, why don't they produce an EXE command line switch that opens a pre-game window to select/deselect the mods that the user wants activated, if they're going to put in the whole installer idea. And furthermore, in situations where multiple mods require another mod installed so they have some little tech base to work off of, why doesn't the team derive the tech necessary from the mod in question and make it a standardized feature after some thinkwork... it would remove a lot of legwork of having one mod installed and constantly running in the background, possible other sections of that mod weighing in on the RAM requirements of the game, and thusly make it much much faster for the team to put these mods into an easily accessible area? I am speaking from a simply techie sort of angle, because if we make things more simple for the average newbie and the person who hasn't got a clue where to look, it should likewise be simple to apply the system. What use is a simple to use tool, if it requires twenty other steps before you can use it in the first place? Just a thought. *wanders back to drooling over the BTR-80 and hoping it doesn't require any other mods to run that he'd have to go digging up*

Maruk and BIS team. Looks like Addons at Ease is going to the next level with a beta installer and a final version not far away I hope.

Next thing you could get your graphics boys to do in about 30mins or so is design a logo for us that advertises our addon as a "Addons at Ease" compatible.

I suggest a 90x30 pixel image that somehow conveys a BIS stamp of approval. This size is just a suggestion...your graphics designers might have something else in mind.

Could you please reply to this just to acknowledge you have read and are considering this?