Sign in to follow this  
FSPilot

Vehicle transmissions

I know I've brought this up before, but I'd like it to be considered for OFP2. Why don't any of the vehicles have a standard transmission (stick shift)? I think it'd add a lot to the game. Granted, not all military vehicles were stick shifts, but it would add a lot of potential for addons.

i think that would be a great idea. It would require you to pay more attention to the game. Ex. Shift up R, Shift down F

Something like that. Good thinking smile_o.gif!

That would add some intresting things to vet mode smile_o.gif

It would be really great to have when driving up hills and such... And ofcourse it would add realism, so it is a great thing to add... smile_o.gif

I wouldn't want a stick shift if it means jeeps and skodas suddenly get sequential transmissions. (like in WRC or F1, no clutching and up/down gear selection)

Let's call it how it is, automatic transmissions with gear hold. Or manual transmisisons, but then please require a clutch and a seperate keypad number for each gear. wink_o.gif That's a standard transmission! (or waste of time)

Well its a good idea, i dont think you would need a key for every gear, just one for up a gear, and one for down, cant see anything wrong with that. But how often would you use it? Its just a waste of time i think, but OFP2 seems to me that it will be easier for addon makers to mod, so maybe an addon maker can make a gear shift thing? I would rather have BIS perfect vehicle physics and make it so that you can shoot the engine to stop the car, or make it smoke so you cant see biggrin_o.gif then spend time making gears. But then again, how much time does it take to make a gear thing? All you need to do is set different speeds for different gears? So 1st gear = xmph, 2d = zmph etc....

I wouldn't want a stick shift if it means jeeps and skodas suddenly get sequential transmissions. (like in WRC or F1, no clutching and up/down gear selection)

Let's call it how it is, automatic transmissions with gear hold.  Or manual transmisisons, but then please require a clutch and a seperate keypad number for each gear.  wink_o.gif  That's a standard transmission!  (or waste of time)

I was thinking of more of a one-touch-shift deal, not a clutch and keypad for changing gears. Maybe pageup and pagedown.

Think about it, no more slowly creeping up hills. I'd use it a lot, especially when I go off road.

i dont know about the jeep, but the Hummer is automatic in 'real' life so it wouldn't add realism there. Maybe in civilian vehicles though?

Most automatics also have a gear for "low" which limits the engine to using the lower gears. maybe that could be implemented?

hmm.... it could be nice if the steering wheel game controller is fully supported, just like the joystick.

The way it's done in Mafia actually is pretty fine, even though not completely realistic. Make it like that, and it'd be alright.

The way it's done in Mafia actually is pretty fine, even though not completely realistic. Make it like that, and it'd be alright.

Maybe we should have the option to select manual or auto, i cant use manual, tried it on mafia but the cops would always catch me sad_o.gif , i think manual transmission is much harder to use because we have to constantly press many keys to switch gears, i like to press W, steer with mouse and keep my eyes in the beautyfull landscapes of OPFs islands smile_o.gif .

You could toggle it on or off I suppose if you don't like driving manual cars. it's not like it would be a lot of keys either, just pgup to shift up, pgdn to shift down, no clutch.

Most automatics also have a gear for "low" which limits the engine to using the lower gears.  maybe that could be implemented?

"Reverse, Neutral, Overdrive, Drive, 3, 2, 1"

Maybe a 5 speed manual on the collumn like some of the older trucks? I dont know if old jeeps had them on the collumn or floor.

hmm.... it could be nice if the steering wheel game controller is fully supported, just like the joystick.

You can alllready use a steeringwheel in OFP, but unfotnatley not at the same time as a joystick...

That is something they allso should implent, but that is an other toppic... smile_o.gif

And for this toppic, I think it would be ok with just one button for shifting up and one for shifting down...

and ofcousre in offroad veichels there should be a extra low set of gears (just as in reality)...

I dunno what sucks more, not being able to turn at high speeds in OFP1, or blowing a tranny peeling out in my Willy's Jeep biggrin_o.gif

i dont know about the jeep, but the Hummer is automatic in 'real' life so it wouldn't add realism there. Maybe in civilian vehicles though?

Exactly that's what I'm saying, most military vehicles are automatic or act exactly like automatics but allow you to hold gears.

So the feature request we have here is a manually controlled automatic transmisison, not a stick shift.

Why not both, the vehicles wich have automatic gear in reality should ofcourse have it in the game, but vehicles that don't have it should have a gearbox, just as in real life...

Exactly that's what I'm saying, most military vehicles are automatic or act exactly like automatics but allow you to hold gears.  

So the feature request we have here is a manually controlled automatic transmisison, not a stick shift.

Military cars are not the only ones modelled in OFP. Plus it would be good for addons.

if BIS makes the driving physics THAT realistic.. then they can sell the OFP2 engine license for racing game producers biggrin_o.gif