Sign in to follow this  
Assault (CAN)

Big brother is watching.

secure.jpg

Scary, no?

The image is part of an advertising campaign letting people know all London busses now have CCTV cameras to 'ensure safety of passengers and aid police in catching criminals'.

Double plus un-good wow_o.gif

I'd just like to know what you guys think about the government putting up video cameras in public places. Do you think it keeps you safe? Or is it just another case of big brother? Personally, I wouldn't want that crap mounted all over the place. I expect to be watched by security when I walk into a private store or bank, but I don't want to be watched by government paid monitors when I'm out on the streets just minding my own business.

Does anyone here feel the same way?

Tyler

We have video cameras installed on some trains here in Australia, and to be honest I think it's a good idea.

I know there always concerns about how the information is being used, and to who's benefit, but it does seem to help cut down on graffiti and assaults (and other crimes) on trains.

Being a 6'4'' 300 lb gorilla myself I'm not usually that worried travelling on trains at night, but I know plenty of people, especially women, who don't feel safe. Video cameras can help these people to feel more secure when travelling...

How many buses are there in London? Are there that many monitors and tons of people monitoring at any moment or is this a spot check sort of system that can also be used in emergenices?

I think it may be like the busses here in Oklahoma, all of them have a black box w/ a glass cover on it but you cant tell if the camera is in it or not at the time.

As long as there is no camera in my own home , it is a good idea for me

We are not under heavy dictature that want to know if you are a treat for them and this way can locate and terminate you quickly , so i dont see why some people have a problem with those camera in public places .

If it can save lifes (not only security problems , if there is an accident the help can be here quicker) , it is good

We need cameras with frikin laser beams attached to their lens's. Is that too much to ask?

lol, they aren't very subtle about it, are they? Obviously a few marketing types working for the government decided to pull a fast one on the bureacrats tounge_o.gif

Because radio waves travel at 186,000 miles (299,274 km) per second and sound waves saunter at 700 miles (1,126 km) per hour, a broadcast voice can be heard sooner 13,000 miles (20,917 km) away than it can be heard at the back of the room in which it originated.

I've got no problem w/ governments doing stuff like that. It'll help fight crime. If it wasn't in a public place, then I could see why some people may be upset, but you really shouldn't be doing anything u wouldn't want any else to see in a bus.

PS, what did that last post have to do w/ this topic?

OT, It's almost exactly like a question on a science paper I had a few months back.

I'd rather have more officers on the beat than more cameras. A video camera can't save your life.

I'm surprised more people aren't as concerned about this as they should be.

As long as they tell me where the cameras are and its not hidden, I have no problem with it

The square outside my apartment is monitored 24/7 by three cameras. It used to be a high crime area with fights, muggings and rapes. Now crime is down to almost 0 on the square and connecting streets.

In Los Angeles, RTD, Rapid Transportation Department(?), now known as MTA(Metropolitan Transportation Authority), used to have cameras installed right above driver's seat, facing passenger seats. There was a clearly marked sign that says "You are being filmed" or something to that effort. but then again, a good pecentage of them malfunctioned wink_o.gif

Now, there's something called "Metro Rapid" or "Red Bus" that goes to certain places in Los Angeles faster by stopping only at a few important stops, designed for many commuters. They have about 2-3 small cameras that are covering pretty much the whole bus.

This kind of thing is an example of compromise between security and gov't control. By having public places recorded/monitored, we can reduce crimes like in Longinius's example. As long as people know that they are filmed, they will think twice before they do something.

However, the flip side is that in some instances, gov't, upon loosing control over itself can abuse it. it doesn't take the whole gov't to go abusive, but just a few rotten apples here and there.

I have no real issues with cameras in public places as they do give a feeling of security to some people, and can provide useful evidence when investigating crimes. I do have a major issue with that poster though, jeez! Who the hell designed that thing? Whats it for, scaring the crap out of the public?

biggrin_o.gif

I dont understand? This isn's something new, is it? I was in london two years ago and they had cameras on every bus i was on. Oh and speaking of cameras. The new underground train in Stockholm has cameras too.

smile_o.gif

I would love to get my hands on one of these posters. That poster is so scary its cool.George Orwell would turn in his grave if he saw this. Using Newspeak to make public streetsign propaganda for Big Brothers all seeing eye. I guess you can make up my viewpoint on this matter now.

Try this for a change: actually find all the cameras on some of your more regular routes like when you go shopping, work to school or when you go out etc. You'll be amazed how many are allready installed ( I live in Holland, btw)

Another things that is becoming increasingly publicly accepted over here is preventive stop and searches by police so either you personal or the car that you drive can be searched for weapons drugs or anything else illegal. Its not that i have a dismembered 5 year old lodged between my cache of silenced scorpion smg's and the suitcase of cocaine in the back of my car, I just dont trust authorities in general when they go about spying on their own citizens, treading on their rights while doing it, imho.

I think i go out now, ill take a spraycan with black paint with me tounge_o.gif

TopCover

secure.jpg

Scary, no?

The image is part of an advertising campaign letting people know all London busses now have CCTV cameras to 'ensure safety of passengers and aid police in catching criminals'.

Double plus un-good  wow_o.gif

I'd just like to know what you guys think about the government putting up video cameras in public places. Do you think it keeps you safe? Or is it just another case of big brother? Personally, I wouldn't want that crap mounted all over the place. I expect to be watched by security when I walk into a private store or bank, but I don't want to be watched by government paid monitors when I'm out on the streets just minding my own business.

Does anyone here feel the same way?

Tyler

Cameras should be placed in busses, especially here in Belgium, it happens quite a lot that the drivers of the busses get hurt, some even get killed.

In public, no, i don't want any cameras watching me while i search new shoes. However, some places should get cameras, like the really dangerous neighborhoods, but not everywhere. I think we should at least get some privacy...

Try this for a change: actually find all the cameras on some of your more regular routes like when you go shopping, work to school or when you go out etc. You'll be amazed how many are allready installed ( I live in Holland, btw)

Aren't that just cameras that make a pic of your car when you drive too fast?

We have them all over the place here, but there's always a sign on the road that warns ppl where camera's are placed...

This thing can be be good. But that isn't the issue for me, I realise that it might reduce vanadalism and violence in busses. But it still doesn't feel right with cameras watching everyone like they are some sort of would be criminals. I have broken the law once and that was whilst trying some nature candy from those places were you buy "loose weight" candy. And i hope i will never beat up old ladies or spraypaint some L337 word on the bus.

Cameras might solve some problems but it doesn't feel right to have the goverment watching you, maybe i have seen "Enemy of the stat" too many times but it doesn't feel right.

More cops on the street, dump the cameras.

maybe i have seen "Enemy of the state" too many times

Relax! Nothing a little electro-shock treatment can't erase, I'm sure.

enemy.jpg

I'm fine with it myself.

Maybe cause i like it when if we get into a fight a police car pulls up in a minute or two because they can see what's going on.

Oh and speaking of cameras. The new underground train in Stockholm has cameras too.

smile_o.gif

No they don't. Well, they do, but they are deactivated. There was a big discussion about it and in the end the ministry of justice came with the conclusion that it was unconstitutional.

There have been some big discussions about this. The police and many private enterprises want cameras everywhere. The minister of justice opposes it.

To put up a camera in a public place, you need to get a license from the local authorities and you have to put up signs that clearly state that a camera is active. So far the pattern has been that the local authorities more or less allow everything and then the ministry of justice overturns their decision. The last big conflict was over cameras in libraries. Those that wanted the cameras claimed that it was no invasion of privacy because the cameras would only show real-time footage, without recording anything. The ministry of justice didn't agree and it ended up in the supreme court. They decided in the end that it was not ok to put up the cameras.

Quote[/b] ]No they don't. Well, they do, but they are deactivated. There was a big discussion about it and in the end the ministry of justice came with the conclusion that it was unconstitutional.

Oh okey i think, or attleast i got the impression that they had cameras in those new trains when i lived in Stockholm

I guess things have chaged smile_o.gif

There's no reason why there shouldn't be cameras in public places.