Sign in to follow this  
Major Fubar

Important: note to swissmod

As has been pointed out under the Pirahna 6x6 thread - your installer automatically puts the pbo (and installation notes) into the default OFP folder (C:/program files/codemaster/operation flashpoint/res/addons)...

THIS IS A BAD THING!

My installation, for instance, is is C:/games/operation flashpoint/res/addons . End result: I had to go looking for the pbos manually and drag them into the right place. This is the same problem I have with all of the addons from this mod team (infantry, weapons etc.).

Let this be a warning to other who use installers to distribute their addons - if you must use installers (the vast majority of the OFP community prefers simple ZIPs or RARs), make them so that the user can point it to the correct folder. Not everyone out there installs all games and other programs to their default directories...in fact, in many cases, it gets downright messy of you do.

Thanks for listening.  smile_o.gif

A note to addon makers:

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>USE ADDONS AT EASE.</span>

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but personally:

Until AAE is officially implemented by BIS, I would prefer addon teams to stick to ZIPs or RARs...

The AAE installer released at the moment is only a beta version for testing, yes?

Maybe BIS wanted to use the AAE tool because Winrar Winzip and Winace WinPK are all shareware so try and buy versions and BIS can give a Free tool to us that is very easy so i would say Beta or not use the Addons At Ease tool it would help us all wink_o.gif

erm open up the .exe with an Archive extracter, or just dump it on ur desktop.

The AAE installer released at the moment is only a beta version for testing, yes?

Correct. If I am not mistaken, AAE docs specifically mention no addons created using current beta version may be distributed publicly.

or just dump it on ur desktop.

I don't know if the Swiss Mod did this but some installers allow you to prevent the install path from being modified.

then extract it then, what i always do.

winrar, i also have another program that opens all files

ie

.ace

.rar

.zip

.exe's

but im at college atm so i cant remember for the life of me what it is

Correct. If I am not mistaken, AAE docs specifically mention no addons created using current beta version may be distributed publicly.

I'm realy looking forward to the final release of the AAE installer, it's going to make distributing addons a lot easyer.

winrar

Can WinRAR be used on any packed EXE file or just those created with RAR to begin with?

tbh im not 100% sure but i open all my OFP addon .exe's with it so its worked up until now.

every addon .exe i rename them to .zip or .rar as i drag and drop the addons and not click extract

Winrar can open anything, i havent had a single problem with it smile_o.gif

Yeah, and there are other free packer tools, that can open zip and rar. No need to use shareware... smile_o.gif

Funny thing is that the shareware version of WinRar which I downloaded & installed hasn't expired, and it's about 2 years now tounge_o.gif.

winrar, i also have another program that opens all files

ie

.ace

.rar

.zip

.exe's

but im at college atm so i cant remember for the life of me what it is

Hey, so does PowerArchiver - thanks for the tip, didn't know it could do that! smile_o.gif

ah indeed PowerArchiver is the other one i use.

I use ultimate zip, it allows me to extract the contents of the .exe such as the Pirahna to a folder with the same name as the installer! Genius!!  tounge_o.gif

Ultimate zip homepage

from the site;

Quote[/b] ]Built-in compression support for: Zip, Blak Hole, Cabinet, Jar, Lha , GZip, Tar, Tar-BZip2, and Tar-GZip archives.

Built-in decompression support for: Ace, Arc, Arj , Rar, Zoo, Zip, Blak Hole, Cabinet, Jar , Lha, GZip, Tar, Tar-BZip2, and Tar-GZip archives.