Sign in to follow this  
Matthijs

CoC Combat Swimmer

Great finaly some anphibious troops!

I noticed somthing while i was assing around wink.gif

The dock landing ship (LSD) will not let the swimmer up the ramp for some reason.So he cannot enter from the water.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Matthijs @ 17 May 2003,15:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My machine is also bitching about "MISSION ADDON: BIS_RESISTANCE". I have no clue what causes this, I only know it's not caused by the swimmers.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah you can solve that by putting bis_resistance into the list of addons in its mission.sqm file. But no biggie for just an example mission.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Matthijs @ 17 May 2003,15:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">An MP mission with swimming, for testing purposes.

Note that this mission has no briefing, intro, obectives or outro. Just an example of how to implement swimming in MP.

My machine is also bitching about "MISSION ADDON: BIS_RESISTANCE". I have no clue what causes this, I only know it's not caused by the swimmers.

http://mods.kmarns.net/download/MP_swimtest.Noe.zip<span id='postcolor'>

thank you very much for the demomission smile.gif

my init.sqs was missing those publicvariables...

everything works fine now and we can check those cool divers out on our server smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (punishment @ 17 May 2003,15:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Great finaly some anphibious troops!

The dock landing ship (LSD) will not let the swimmer up the ramp for some reason.So he cannot enter from the water.<span id='postcolor'>

The swimmer is well below the surface, swimming under the swip.

Let's see if some smart scripter can come up with a script that allows swimmers to enter a vehicle.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Matthijs @ 17 May 2003,17:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (punishment @ 17 May 2003,15:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Great finaly some anphibious troops!

The dock landing ship (LSD) will not let the swimmer up the ramp for some reason.So he cannot enter from the water.<span id='postcolor'>

The swimmer is well below the surface, swimming under the swip.

Let's see if some smart scripter can come up with a script that allows swimmers to enter a vehicle.<span id='postcolor'>

I don't know about the LSD ship but a simple trigger with a "SEAL1 moveincargo ship1" (Seal1 being the name of the unit and ship1 being the name of the ship you're trying to board) in it should do the job.

Also... I realized that this might be fun for making Russian Marines frogmen by equipping them with AK-74's. smile.gif

One bug though... when you parachute them out of an aircraft or just jump out of a helicopter hovering low over the water, they do not start with the "engine on". Instead they just sit there and refuse to move anywhere. Is there some script to get them all to turn their "engine on"? That way the novice player won't have to figure out how to do that using the action menu. All I need is a trigger telling the group (or just an individual) to turn their engine on.

If anyone can help with that it would be much appreciated!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Really nice work! alltrough why not set them to RES side?

Oh well good job!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ 17 May 2003,18:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">(...)

Also...  I realized that this might be fun for making Russian Marines frogmen by equipping them with AK-74's.  smile.gif

One bug though... when you parachute them out of an aircraft or just jump out of a helicopter hovering low over the water, they do not start with the "engine on".  Instead they just sit there and refuse to move anywhere.  Is there some script to get them all to turn their "engine on"?  That way the novice player won't have to figure out how to do that using the action menu.    All I need is a trigger telling the group (or just an individual) to turn their engine on.  

If anyone can help with that it would be much appreciated!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD><span id='postcolor'>

As said before:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">IMPORTANT NOTE: AI HAS PROBLEMS USING SWIMMING EQUPMENT.<span id='postcolor'>

In other words: "AI can't swim"

A Soviet swimmer with IDA71 is next. The LAR VII is a West-European product.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sxep @ 17 May 2003,21:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Really nice work! alltrough why not set them to RES side?

Oh well good job!<span id='postcolor'>

Because the use of a rebreather unit requires expert training. As a rebreather website puts it: "WARNING! Rebreather Diving is dangerous. It weeds out the weak by KILLING them."

The upcoming scuba gear will most likely have a resistance swimmer.

Hmm ok, but my thought were that i can select them as an Enemy to the West side. I didn´t see it that way.

I have lots of Hightech addons in the Res "slot" so wink.gif

I just wanted it to be flexible.

But if you make different "suitings" for each Side thats fine to me biggrin.gif

Great addon! My only complaint is that they arnt equiped with  NVG's by default...

Also if its possible i'd suggest adding a DPV (Diver Propulsion Vehicle) to increase their range... and speed up the time it takes to get to the shore. Right now it simply takes too long to reach the shore from anywhere but close range... i'd really like to be to droped off further away but not have the journey add 30 minutes to my travel time.

DPV: http://www.diveaeris.com/voyager.html

Edit: Is it possible to have the units change from their wetsuits into BDU's?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't know about the LSD ship but a simple trigger with a "SEAL1 moveincargo ship1" in it should do the job.<span id='postcolor'>

Actually you cant do that because you are in a vehicle when below water. However if first place the unit over sea level, the swimming script will automatically kick in and destroy the vehicle, then you can moveincargo

An example...

place a swimmer on the map named pl and a boat on the sea named b, then place a gamelogic somewhere on LAND and name it logic1

after that place a trigger:

both axis 0

activation: "none"

condition: pl distance b < 8

activation: pl setpos (getpos logic1); pl moveInCargo b

so when pl is closer than 8, he will first be moved up on land and be deactivated then placed in cargo on the boat, ofcourse this will go so fast you wont notice the you are on land...

One neat thing I did w/ them in a mission, was to have the a swimmer (me) eject out of a OV-10 over water, and parachute into the sea. THen, when I landed, I started swimming towards shore to my target. smile.gif

Yeah i did that too, it was fun destroying a base near the Kolgujev coast by myself, this addon adds a whole new dimension to black op missions.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (-radkeff- @ 18 May 2003,01:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't know about the LSD ship but a simple trigger with a "SEAL1 moveincargo ship1" in it should do the job.<span id='postcolor'>

Actually you cant do that because you are in a vehicle when below water. However if first place the unit over sea level, the swimming script will automatically kick in and destroy the vehicle, then you can moveincargo

An example...

place a swimmer on the map named pl and a boat on the sea named b, then place a gamelogic somewhere on LAND and name it logic1

after that place a trigger:

both axis 0

activation: "none"

condition: pl distance b < 8

activation: pl setpos (getpos logic1); pl moveInCargo b

so when pl is closer than 8, he will first be moved up on land and be deactivated then placed in cargo on the boat, ofcourse this will go so fast you wont notice the you are on land...<span id='postcolor'>

Ahhh.... kewl. Good information! Thanks!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Matthijs @ 17 May 2003,23:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As said before:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">IMPORTANT NOTE: AI HAS PROBLEMS USING SWIMMING EQUPMENT.<span id='postcolor'>

In other words: "AI can't swim"

A Soviet swimmer with IDA71 is next. The LAR VII is a West-European product.<span id='postcolor'>

Well here's the thing. As I said, when I ordered all of them to "turn engine on", the AI swam just fine as long as I was near them and didn't get too far away.

Maybe they don't do that all the time? I'll try a few more times, but if they swim ok every time, then the reason they are not swimming for most people is simply because they start off in the water with "engine off".

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ 18 May 2003,13:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well here's the thing.   As I said, when I ordered all of them to "turn engine on", the AI swam just fine as long as I was near them and didn't get too far away.  

Maybe they don't do that all the time?  I'll try a few more times, but if they swim ok every time, then the reason they are not swimming for most people is simply because they start off in the water with "engine off".  

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD><span id='postcolor'>

Hm, that sounds interesting!

1) Does anyone know what the scripting command is, to turn the engine on?

2) Does enyone know how to remove the "engine off" action?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> 1) Does anyone know what the scripting command is, to turn the engine on?

<span id='postcolor'>

I believe this works : a action ["engine on", vehicle a]

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (silent_64 @ 18 May 2003,15:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Great addon, but how about makeing one with a dry suit on?<span id='postcolor'>

See the wrinkles?

This is supposed to be a drysuit.

Will there be a difference between the west and east diver model? smile.gif

Realy cool addon

Now my own Royal Danish Combat Swimmer look great

RDCS.jpg

Why dosent the camo face worke???

STGN

I had, till now, no problems with the Ai and swimming.

I roped out of the bas mh47 and told the others to do so as well.

Then I ordered them to swim to the coast (I was able to see it)

The swam right to it (I hadn't to tell them to turn the engine on) and stepped out of the water when they arrived.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LaPoi @ 18 May 2003,23:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Will there be a difference between the west and east diver model? smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, ehm... that is, I will try to.

From what I've read, the Soviet drysuit is very simplistic. I think I will create the "old style" divemask, the stereotype elliptic thing, and and use some more brownish/greyish colors.

I think the rebreather itself looks pretty cool:

vseit.jpg

As it seems to be very commonly used in sports diving, a Resistance variant might be fun. Yes, I know. I said something different, a bit earlier in this discussion... tounge.gif

Rebreather diving still remains a dangerous undertaking though:

http://www.nobubblediving.com/frankenson.htm

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (STGN @ 19 May 2003,16:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Realy cool addon

Now my own Royal Danish Combat Swimmer look great

[ img ]

Why dosent the camo face worke???

STGN<span id='postcolor'>

I removed it, as it will not work in multiplayer.

Frandsen's face texture is still in there though. Check the readme for the scripting command to camouflage a units face.

Really good addon, i had a little play with them and was very impressed. I was expecting all sort of collision problems and having people hopping 50 ft out of the water etc.

I really like this, yet again COC has added a new element to the OFP gameplay.