Sign in to follow this  
Snake Man

PMC Ranger Path - OFP Campaign

I didnt mean "racist" as in I'm gonna pull the P.C card and start giving lectures ... tounge.gif

But "Eat lead Commie Scum!" repeated every few minutes did get a touch irritating.

And it was like a cough in a Doctors waiting room, once one got it, they were all at it.

I'm sure some people will think its a really cool addition to the campaign, I personally would love to see the option to remove it or at least reduce the amount.

Does anyone else have the problem of men dying when you rappel out of he chopper at the beginning of some missions? On the first few missions everything was ok, but now I seem to pause at the top of the rope, then fall off and break my legs or die crazy.gif sometimes my whole squad gets injured as well, anyone else have this problem?

Crippler

About the AI yelling... if you call that a "racists" then I suggest you complain to BIS, they are the default sounds found in the Operation Flashpoint added there by the makers of the game.

Other thing... the AI fast roping from helicopter, I just do not understand why this happens - I never had it happen while playing the missions itself, but it does happen on the opening cutscene randomly. Seems like if OFP has been running long time and/or different missions, it tends to do that but after reboot it works ok. Go figure.

Damn if the SAW gunners aren't the most vicious people in the world. I use 2 and they regularly cut down 10 enemies at around 500m smile.gif Don't leave home without them.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Snake Man @ 19 May 2003,20:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">About the AI yelling... if you call that a "racists" then I suggest you complain to BIS, they are the default sounds found in the Operation Flashpoint added there by the makers of the game.<span id='postcolor'>

I think the main point is to make these voices more random and less frequent. That's all.

Just started playing the campaign last night. Rather good though I can see its better suited to coop than single play. The mines are a problem for the AI though if I'm on the ball I can shoot them out.

I'd kind of agree with some of the comments about the AI shouts though. Its a nice touch but there isn't enough variation for the frequency. A little less often would be better I think.

Nice campaign so far and I'll be back to it after the cinema this morning.

Okay been playing some more and had a few thoughts.

The barrages are too deadly and too fast. I can't move too fast without losing my team but if I stop we get slaughtered. I don't know about real life but could any soldier in a fire fight really call support down that accurately and fast? Perhaps, but its no fun in the game.

Secondly, friendly AI. Okay, you said the mission was balanced for coop but I play SP. It seems to me my guys are rather poor for an elite unit. At one point they waited for a BMP to get within 100m before needing FIVE shots to hit it. Have you knocked down friendly AI on some missions?

Secondly, friendly AI. Okay, you said the mission was balanced for coop but I play SP. It seems to me my guys are rather poor for an elite unit. At one point they waited for a BMP to get within 100m before needing FIVE shots to hit it. Have you knocked down friendly AI on some missions?

This is actually down to our (BAS') addon, in default when placed in a group the AT soldier has very little skill, and has trouble hitting even static targets, slide it to the right a bit and they get much better...

Just took a look at the missions and all the AT guys have the skill slider set all the way to the left. No wonder they're so poor.

Additionally for Poet and co. In the 'ai_control.sqs', change the 'comment' header under 'random chance of a reply'. I've set it to '(random 50 < 2)' to get a more reasonable level of battlecries.

I'm getting to rather enjoy playing about with prebuilt missions. Mayby I should do something of my own.

I'm getting to rather enjoy playing about with prebuilt missions. Mayby I should do something of my own.

More mission makers, both solo and team members, are desparately needed in the OFP community.

Thanks for the Tip John C, this is a great Campaign, I'm really enjoying it so far, lots of nice touches, its just as an English OFP player I find it hard to concentrate listening to those never ending corny cliche's.

Its like a Jerry Bruckheimer film at times. crazy_o.gif

I've looked at the same AI script myself and seen it in a couple of other missions. I think its fantastic when the enemy use it and you can hear them shouting at each other when you attack.

Any idea how I can change the script to completely remove the Allies using the comments and let the Russians keep them ( I can handle cliche's in Russian, cause I havent a clue what they're saying biggrin_o.gif ), still keeping the other cool enhancements the script uses?

change the script to completely remove the Allies using the comments and let the Russians keep them

Okay, so whos being racist now? smile_o.gif

Oh dear you guys with this bull about little things. The only one factor that makes me think about the ai_control script is the deadly enemy artillery that they call on you.

Anyways, answer to your question is; unpbo the campaign, use notepad to open init.sqs file in each of the mission dirs, comment out the lines which say:

["initialise",assault1,[0],[0],[0],0,0] exec "ai_control.sqs"

And then you and your team mates will be silent during the mission. Remember, you need to do this to each and every mission where you want to remove the voices.

Oh btw, I cant provide any "technical support" for Ranger Path campaign if you have done your own edits to it.

Just started playing now. Comments:

1. Put the updated version number on the Campaign's main overview page. That will make sure that anyone that has a problem knows what version they're playing.

2. 1st mission, under WAR SITUATION in briefing, some corrections:

- war torn

- .............. thrown out of here ..............

3. 1st mission, the tank outside the base should be a little more active once anyone around the base is shot at.

4. 2nd mission, what blew us to pieces? Mines? Artillery? Whoa! Came outta nowhere! Sort of guaranteed instant death unless you've played the mission once, which is not a fun way to play, IMO.

5. There were other grammar errors in the 2nd mission's briefing but I didn't write them down.

6. BTW, I like the AI voice taunts. smile_o.gif Maybe you could introduce a RADIO command to turn them on/off for those that don't like them?

7. Any chance you'll create voice files for the radio messages like the ones you produced for the PMC Fury Campaign?

So far, that's all I've played. Keep up the good work!

Quote[/b] ]Oh btw, I cant provide any "technical support" for Ranger Path campaign if you have done your own edits to it.

Oh no, any dumb mistakes will be entirely my own work. Before I do start breaking things though, are we looking at another version or is this a final?

on the mission "PMC" Ranger bait i start with four guys even though all my guys survived the previous mission? also when you lose guys, they next mission they still appear, but they r in the chopper

Yes that is odd, Snake Man make sure you use deletevehicle on those men.

RED

Doh! Seems to be an unknown addon in the end of all places. An LSD. Either a landing ship or the drug. I can find mention of it in forums but haven't found a working download yet.

In which mission did you find Dock Landing Ship addon used?

The closing cutscene. And no, I haven't actually finished the thing. I had broken it into individual missions to look at it. And yes, it was the Ashland from the previous link.

Very enjoyable still but I think the AI levels really need tidied up for single player. My team mate vary from 0% AT to 100% SAW. For an elite unit the AT guys are a joke while my machine gunners are just super human. I've been experimenting with a uniform 75% for all rangers and it seems a fair balance.

Additionally a thought for the lethality of the artillary support. I can't figure the scipt sufficiently but an idea I had was if units in the fire zone got an 'incoming' warning when the script activated while the altitude of the shells was set to mayby give 4-5 seconds before they started bursting.

Mayby a crap idea but I thought I'd mention it.

It's always nice to get feedback on a script, even if it is implying I'm a racist  wink_o.gif

Snake Man - it might interest you to know that v1.1 of my ai script is available at the OFPEC. There is an easy option that would allow you to turn the sounds off/on, as well as a host of other improvements (making the option side specific is a good idea - I'll take that onboard for the next version). I also tried to cut back on the frequency of the comments - I appreciate it can become tiresome in a long mission. The script just now is limited to the ofp default sound files, but I would love to add lots of custom ones to decrease to repetition. If anyone is willing to help me by recording some sound files (both english and russian) please e-mail me at ian at 289gwr.fsnet.co.uk or IM me on the OFPEC forum.

Regarding the accuracy of the artillery, I must say I'm not an expert in the real subject but it strikes me that if a target stays in the same place artillery will very quickly zero in on it. That is what the script simulates - the first volley is usually well wide of the mark, if the target position does not move successive volleys become more and more deadly. Keep moving and you'll almost never be hit.

Right - I'm off to download the campaign.

Cheers

Ian

Quote[/b] ]Keep moving and you'll almost never be hit.

Broadly true, but the AI in my experience need you to pause occasionally or they can get lost. If OFP had a spread out command to increase seperation it might help. Additionally since they don't respond well to the arty they will quite happily run into it. As a player I have rarely been killed but I loose my squad too often.

As for more variation in the comments, go for it. That was always my complaint not any percieved racism. Though surely 'die commie' is a political rather than a racial slur? My pet hate is having an elite soldier scream 'were surrounded' after hes spotted one guy 500m away! Big sissies!

Right, I've been playing around with the script when I should be in bed. I have to get up for work in 5 hours.

What it seems to me is that the key to the artillary is the z coordinate. This is what controls the time between making the call and the shells hitting the target. Easy enough. What it seems to me is that this time is too low, once you're spotted the shells follow too close behind even if your moving.

Now I'm no expert but lets say I see you and know where you are. I take my radio and say 'fire for effect XX to XX by YY to YY.' Now thats almost five seconds speaking clearly. Assuming an experienced crew men say 10 seconds to respond and adjust fire? Now the question is how long does a typical mortar shell spend in flight? I'm sure one of you guys out there can give an answer but lets say 15 seconds. So what kind of a z axis do we need to simulate that time of flight? Around 1200 by my tests. Quite a change from the 20 - 40 already used.

My sums and theory may be wildy off the mark but I think this may be the key to making the script workable. We can't diminish the effect of a shell, the key has to be in finding the right time between call and impact. I'll keep experimenting but I'd be curious to hear what anybody else thinks.

Back again, I've been playing around and I think these changes seem to do the trick. Getting caught in a barrage is deadly still but it is avoidable.

Beyond that though I am getting a bit tired of the campaign. Sorry Snake but I think this is just too hard for a single player campaign. With artillary support, mines and reinforcements pouring in its just too much for the AI to handle. I can see it being a damn good coop campaign but as a single player I think some of the missions ( Mountains - Cain being a real bitch ) are just asking too much of a single player.

yay im proud! I lost one man on the first mission. On the second mission i lost only one guy again. If anyone needs help for the 2nd mission , position ur men on the hill overlooking the town. (opposite side of the town from where you start) Have 2 SAW gunners and give everyone else grenade launchers giving yourself a sniper rifle and an at4. Have ur men hold fire until thier in position on the hills. Then blow up the bmp2 with the at4 and have your men open fire. The russians get slaughtered by the grenade launcers. Then take out the t-72 with another at -4 round when it comes. Just keep sniping guys and your home free. The best part is , the artilerary never came when i was up there! Does anyone have strategies for mission 3?

mission 2 was the hardest so far i reckon

had to be like rambo

so that ai dont use artilerry strikes

i actually attacked it front on

but i cheated though

i used the save cheat

but i was so hard even though i saved it

i only had one guy after i think the 4mission

up to the 5th mission now i think or sixth

Right, I've been playing around with the script when I should be in bed. I have to get up for work in 5 hours.

What it seems to me is that the key to the artillary is the z coordinate. This is what controls the time between making the call and the shells hitting the target. Easy enough. What it seems to me is that this time is too low, once you're spotted the shells follow too close behind even if your moving.

Now I'm no expert but lets say I see you and know where you are. I take my radio and say 'fire for effect XX to XX by YY to YY.' Now thats almost five seconds speaking clearly. Assuming an experienced crew men say 10 seconds to respond and adjust fire? Now the question is how long does a typical mortar shell spend in flight? I'm sure one of you guys out there can give an answer but lets say 15 seconds. So what kind of a z axis do we need to simulate that time of flight? Around 1200 by my tests. Quite a change from the 20 - 40 already used.

My sums and theory may be wildy off the mark but I think this may be the key to making the script workable. We can't diminish the effect of a shell, the key has to be in finding the right time between call and impact. I'll keep experimenting but I'd be curious to hear what anybody else thinks.

Back again, I've been playing around and I think these changes seem to do the trick. Getting caught in a barrage is deadly still but it is avoidable.

Beyond that though I am getting a bit tired of the campaign. Sorry Snake but I think this is just too hard for a single player campaign. With artillary support, mines and reinforcements pouring in its just too much for the AI to handle. I can see it being a damn good coop campaign but as a single player I think some of the missions ( Mountains - Cain being a real bitch ) are just asking too much of a single player.

i agree

i was thinking no way artillery strikes are that accurate even though im moving all the time

i find it also if i dont order my men too much and keep close to them sometimes i only get 2 or 3 artillery shells hitting my squad

and wen i go for a runner they still seem to predict where im going

no matter wat direction

I decided to restart the campaign, since I saw a new release over on PMC's forums. smile_o.gif

In the first mission, as you clear the 2nd object (fuel depot/road block), there's a UAZ there, full of baddies.

I had already triggered the objective clear trigger and message and all these guys were still in the UAZ.

The win outro took over during which time 2 of my men were killed. Not fair!

What should happen is that the moment any of the soldiers in the UAZ or the fuel depot are fired upon, all UAZ soldiers should debark in mode=nasty. tounge_o.gif

Please fix. rock.gif

BTW, in the 2nd mission, was anything changed as far as the arty barrages or am I a goner already? sad_o.gifwink_o.gif