Sign in to follow this  
snYpir

Beta: blood addon

Got lag? In your init.sqs file enter the following:

blood_object_maximum = 200 (or smaller)

blood_particle_spawn_chance = 0.5 (or smaller)

blood_particle_number = 25 (or smaller)

See the readme.txt file for more info

Since the OFPEC ISP went down we found ourselves with nothing to do, so a few of us got together and made a Blood Addon for OFP 1.90 and greater.

WARNING!!! This addon seriously ups the 'gore factor' in OFP. It is not recommended for use by children under the age of 15. The authors take no responsibility for this addon; it is meant to be used by adults. The authors ask mission makers to include a warning similar to this in missions that utilise this addon.

Nagual kindly posted a screenshot below wink.gif

Let me describe what happens:

[*] Unit gets hit

[*] Blood particles spray from the exit wound, opposite to the direction of where the unit was hit from

[*] Blood textures are spawned on the ground where the particles land

Also, I haven't had time to play with the various settings I have put in there to create the most realistic looking blood spray patterns.

No scripting is required, all you need is one trigger to implement the blood effects. I think you'll find the effect is worth it - the screenshots don't really do it justice.

Features:

[*] Blood spray when unit hit

[*] Bleeding

[*] Damage from bloodloss (requires blood_bleeding_bloodloss_disable = false to enable)

[*] Multiplayer compatible

Updates:

[*] FINAL!

[*] Reduced the slight lag each time a blood spray is initiated

[*] Added new variables for blood z velocity, removed blood_particle_vertshift

[*] Added a new variable (blood_particle_spreadfactor) which determines the probability distribution of blood in the spray

[*] Added a new variable (blood_particle_color) which sets the colour of the blood spray

[*] Big code changes to make blood splatter more realistic (more blood closer to the casualty, blood splats now happen exactly when the particles hit the ground). Still not as efficient as I want it, so wait out for 1.4...

[*] Added 'blood_bleeding_life' - sets how long 'bleeding' objects remain before disappearing.

[*] Many defaults changed to make the blood splatter and bleeding less processor-intensive and more realistic.

[*] A list of objects for bleeding can now be specified (and the actual object chosen is randomly chosen).

[*] You can now specify damage from bloodloss (must set blood_bleeding_bloodloss_disable = false) to enable.

[*] Different decrypted config.bin file now utilised as required (see Advanced Installation below).

[*] Parameters to blood_init.sqs in config.cpp now work as expected (use the new config.cpp as per Advanced Installation).

[*] Multiplayer works (blood splatter, bleeding and damage from bloodloss). No in-mission changes required, and the seperate 'server' game logic unit is not required.

[*] Blood objects updated by Asmodeus.

[*] Added support for blood to be defined in a decrypted config.bin file (see Advanced Installation in the readme). This allows blood to be enabled for ALL units in ALL missions and campaigns.

[*] Dripping blood now has a minor random position, and comes up through the ground rather than simply appearing.

[*] Default maximum number of blood particles reduced to 400 to reduce lag.

[*] Units now bleed constantly after being hit. The amount they bleed depends on their damage. At the moment the 'bleeding' is simply a blob of blood on the ground. This is in early development - I really need some realistic looking blood for this (anyone want to volunteer?).

[*] Moved all initialisation into blood_init.sqs - You'll need to update the 'On Activation' field of the blood trigger (copy the line from the readme below)

Download:

[*]Readme

[*]OFPEC_Blood.zip

[*]Blank decrypted config.bin files (1.90 and 1.91 - use at own risk)

The blank config files are not needed if you want to implement blood on a mission-by-mission basis.

I am still willing to add new blood objects. If you are a Oxygen guru and would like to help out with this project, please put together either blood puddles or chunks and send them to me.

Authors:

[*] concept by Igor Drukov

[*] scripting / PBO compilation by snYpir

[*] default blood objects by Asmodeus

Known bugs:

[*] Blood from an explosion sprays away from the unit that threw the grenade, not away from the explosion (can't be fixed)

[*] Utilising the decrypted config.bin modification method does not work in multiplayer (will be fixed when the Enhanced OFP Configuration Project is released)

hehe, looks very cool. Good work mate. wink.gif

A pic of it:

blood.jpg

Then shut your eyes just after you shoot at someone.

This is awesome! smile.gif

Some ideas: maybe if its possible, have it so that the amount of blood can vary.  So if you hit someone in the foot, there will be less blood than if you shoot some poor guy in the head. Also if its possible, maybe create one of those blood pools that expands under a person if they stay in the same place for a while

I can detect which part of a model is hit, ie if it is the arm or the leg etc. The problem is that I can't determine where that part is - ie I can't determine where a unit's arm is, for example. This means that it is impossible to bleed from the foot, or the right finger etc.

Note that you can set the amount of blood proportional to the amount of damage by setting blood_particle_damage_proportional = true.

I can make damaged units 'bleed' - i'll do that tonight wink.gif

(this has already been done by Kegetys I believe for his winter nogojev map)

heh, great addon. The first time I ran it I think I might have hit some slowdown issues when a large amount of gore is onscreen. I'll check again right now to make sure it isn't just background programs casuing the problem.

EDIT: Yeah, it was just that one time. No problems now.

Great job (again) snYpir, this will be good for cutscenes.

RED

I have implemented very rudimentary bleeding, and updated the addon to 1.1 (see the first post). I will enhance this next update.

Unfortunately I am away for the next 5 days so I won't be able to do any major updates. What this addon really needs is some really good, high-res blood objects. I can't make them, so if anyone wants to help out... wink.gif

Don't underestimate the amount of processor time this addon requires. confused.gif

By default, you can have up to 1000 blood objects showing at any one time. I use a big array to keep track of these, and indeed, sifting through this array to determine what blood objects to kill off is a processor-intensive operation. However, because i use camcreate (not createvehicle) to spawn the blood objects there is very little frame rate loss biggrin.gif

Nice, finally you can blast someone "hollywood-style" Might a future project involve "blood on windshield" addons perhaps?

Very nice work on this! More detail to the people biggrin.gif

Also make not of this: No slowdowns with a KORD ripping about 8 russian soldiers up at practically the same time. With my 2.4 GHZ p4 and 512MB of RAM also a 9700 card. Good work biggrin.gif

It's not supposed to be useful. Its supposed to make it more fun wink.gif

The problem with putting blood on anything is that it is very hard to determine the exact edge of the model, and then it is really hard to put the blood texture at the right place, and at the right orientation. It is essentially impossible if the model is going to be moving.

I think i know how to calculate the position of say, a wall, but that is as far as i have gone. I'll be damned if I know how to determine the orientation of the wall (which you need to know if you want to paste a flat texture onto it).

Guest jacobaby

Snyp,

You can use the standard blood model, just put different textures on it and rename it.

If you are using DROP you can already make "chunks" without new models, just color a tiny model deep red and project that.

Try something similar to this;

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

drop ["sutr2", _AnimationName, "SpaceObject", _TimerPeriod, 2, _Position, _Movevelocity, _RotationVelocity, _Weight, _Volume, _Rubbing, [0.1], [[0.702,0.302,0.302, 1]], [0], _RandomDirectionPeriod, _RandomDirectionIntensity, _OnTimer, _BeforeDestroy, _Object]

<span id='postcolor'>

play about with the size until it gets right, I havent tried the color either.

If the damage is REALLY bad you could switch models if you had them available.....legless...armless......headless....

TJ

Wow looks great! biggrin.gif downloading now.

How bout being able to blow arms and legs off tounge.gif Would that be possible with the OFP engine? suppose u could make it so that when u say,blow the arm off it justs makes the texture of the arm see throw and then creats a arm object thats flys throw the air with blood splirting every where.would that be possible?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (D.murphy man @ 11 May 2003,05:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wow looks great! biggrin.gif  downloading now.

How bout being able to blow arms and legs off  tounge.gif Would that be possible with the OFP engine? suppose u could make it so that when u say,blow the arm off it justs makes the texture of the arm see throw and then creats a arm object thats flys throw the air with blood splirting every where.would that be possible?<span id='postcolor'>

No smile.gif

The blood looks great by the way wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (blackdog~ @ 11 May 2003,17:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (D.murphy man @ 11 May 2003,05:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wow looks great! biggrin.gif  downloading now.

How bout being able to blow arms and legs off  tounge.gif Would that be possible with the OFP engine? suppose u could make it so that when u say,blow the arm off it justs makes the texture of the arm see throw and then creats a arm object thats flys throw the air with blood splirting every where.would that be possible?<span id='postcolor'>

No smile.gif

The blood looks great by the way wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yes it is possible but I wouldn't want to be the one who attempts it.

RED

Is it possible for someone to make a utility (a .exe file) that will automatically insert this new addon into all of the missions automatically, or at least into all of the default single player campaign missions? Somewhat like how the high texture sky was implemented?

jacobaby - thanks for the info wink.gif will play around with it when i get a chance.

TheAce314 - you mean implement as a mod (via the -mod command)? I don't know, i'll have to experiment with it. It is totally different from the sky addon, because i need to manually add the eventhandler to every unit (and the only way to get a list of every unit is via a trigger).

plus, if missions out there already use the "hit" eventhandler, there may be conflicts.

as stated, i'll look into it. biggrin.gif

i pitted 3 groups of seperate teams against each other

and there was some serious lag.

but there wasent when i setacctime 0.1

you realy see it fly in slow mo! crazy.gif

Erm.. seems like the Blood splatter doesn't work in 1.1.. or is it just me? I've done exactly what I'm instructed to do.. confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RED @ 11 May 2003,09:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (blackdog~ @ 11 May 2003,17:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (D.murphy man @ 11 May 2003,05:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wow looks great! biggrin.gif  downloading now.

No smile.gif

The blood looks great by the way wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yes it is possible but I wouldn't want to be the one who attempts it.

RED<span id='postcolor'>

Well it would but it would be very sketchy because it would involve new animations, models, etc

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (smogmorph @ 11 May 2003,20:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Erm.. seems like the Blood splatter doesn't work in 1.1.. or is it just me? I've done exactly what I'm instructed to do..  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

have you updated the on action field in the trigger? see the updated readme.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (snYpir @ 11 May 2003,21:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (smogmorph @ 11 May 2003,20:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Erm.. seems like the Blood splatter doesn't work in 1.1.. or is it just me? I've done exactly what I'm instructed to do..  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

have you updated the on action field in the trigger? see the updated readme.<span id='postcolor'>

Doh.. I just forgot that it's supposed to be activated by "Anybody" mad.gif

hmm... (scratching chin)

nice work, but how about removable limbs? or do ppl stay in 1 piece when a LGB lands on um? confused.gif

would be kool if u was 2 shoot some1 with a kozlice n blow there heads off biggrin.gif, but wouldent that require new animations?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

nice work, but how about removable limbs?<span id='postcolor'>

...starting to sound like Soldier of Fortune 2 now

the blood spatter is rather cool but dont go overboard.

I must say its a really good blood mod, as well as being the first of its kind. The blood effects, while overexaggerated, look eons better than the puff of red "smoke" you get by default. However, I do have some nagging issues, which more or less probably can't be solved:

First off, the pool of blood that forms under a soldier is pink. Its BIS's fault,for sure, but it sure looks odd when the poor sobs' blood is different colors. Can't do much about that one.

Second, while I love the addon, its virtually useless unless theres user made or edited missions. As much as I like the mod, I find it hard to enjoy when I have to add a trigger to every mission I have. Its already been mentioned, so I'm pessimistic about that one being "fixed"...

But its a great start. theres nothing like strolling past the aftermath of a ambush!