Sign in to follow this  
Footmunch

Su-27, mig-21, jaguar, buccaneer betas

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wonder @ 15 May 2003,21:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Footmunch @ 15 May 2003,11:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The whole idea of laser-guided munitions only appeared in

about 1980, and they couldn't kluge a laser system into the

Bucc.<span id='postcolor'>

*ahem* Laser-guided bombs aren't as new as some people think. They were first used in Vietnam. One particular mission, where LGBs were used was the bombing of Paul Doumer bridge.<span id='postcolor'>

what year was this?

I've found a site that says Aug. 11, 1967, but that cant be right can it? I'm damn impressed if it is lol biggrin.gifheres the site I found it on though it doesnt say anthing about laser designators, but they were definately used a bit in vietnam I'm sure of it.

aaaaaaanyway, back on topic, I was wondering if it would be possible to make a laser designator weapon on one of these aircraft in flashpoint (like the one on the OH-58) and have it so it has completely full movement in 3 dimenstions (not realistic I know) and a huge range, and get the AI to use it? This way, you could have a strike package containing one AI aircraft with this designator, and another aircraft (you) with LGBs- the AI plane would be constantly designating (maybe like the AI laser black-ops do) and you could pick these targets up for your LGBs (if that makes any sense at all lol) cos this does happen in real life - one aircraft may laser designate a target using its LANTIRN, while its buddy picks the laser emission up and uses it to target its LGBs (though i'm probably wrong). Could this be done?

Crippler smile.gif

That's actually an idea i had for the Strike Eagle, but since all weapons boresight straight forward there's no way we can have a laser designator on a fixed-wing aircraft. Don't you just love engine limitations! mad.gif

Not sure if this has been asked already, but, is there any chance of having ground attack versions of the Jaguar, SU-27 and Mig-21?

That date's correct..the first laser guided bombs were dropped in 1965 and used in combat by the end of 1967. It just took the mass media 20+ more years to discover and hype so-called "smart bombs"

Top Secret ay? wow.gif

When they got that in the 60' i dont want to know what they got now crazy.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KDF @ 17 May 2003,02:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That date's correct..the first laser guided bombs were dropped in 1965 and used in combat by the end of 1967. It just took the mass media 20+ more years to discover and hype so-called "smart bombs"<span id='postcolor'>

erm.... i didnt think lasers were invented till the 70's

The laser was invented in the early 60's, it was used to measure speed and exact distances to the moon. And other faraway objects.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">erm.... i didnt think lasers were invented till the 70's <span id='postcolor'>

..Showing my age, but even 007 had encountered lasers by then ("Goldfinger", I think, around 1964-5).

woops yeah. being a james bond fan that should be a daft mistake for me

Well, you learn something every day. Sorry to have caused

some confusion, but I guess I meant the first operational use

of LGB's by the British was in the 80's during the Falklands. So

although the Bucc was being designed at around the same

time as the early laser-guidance tests, they didn't include a

designator in the original spec.

The Tornado can drop LGB's on their own, but apparently

they did better (in Gulf War I) when using TIALD pods, either

mounted on Bucc's or on modified/upgraded tornados. I

think 'buddy-lasing' _could_ be done in the OFP engine, but

the problem is that the targeting aircraft travel too fast

across the relatively small island maps. For helos like the

Kiowa, this doesn't apply.

Wonder: I don't think all weapons do boresight straight

forward do they? If so, then the Maverick's on the BIS A10

wouldn't work. The LGB's on the Bucc aren't hugely

manoueverable, but they do some tracking. I think non-proxy

weapons (derived from Zuni) do fly straight.

Anyway, the main reason I wanted to post here was to say

that I'm posting a new thread for the final addons. Could we

move any discussion about the addons to there please?