Sign in to follow this  
Longinius

Planetside

Howdie folks

I just wanted to see if there are any people here that are going to try out Planetside when its released? Would be fun to maybe hook up since I reckon most dedicated OFP players are quite good at shooter games with some tactics and teamwork involved.

For those who dont know what Planetside is...

planetside.station.sony.com

Basically a more advanced, sci fi version of WWII Online.

I might but i don't like the idea of paying monthly, it's an outrageous amount of money over a year or so for a computer game!

I know what you're saying, Jinef. But personally I see it the following way.

Imagine paying 13 dollars / month. On average you might play maybe 26 hours or so during that month (I would play more, but its just an example). 13/26=0.5. Thats 0.5 dollars / hour worth of entertainemnt. Compare that to the cost of renting a movie just for the heck of it and it isnt that much really. In the end, sure, it piles up. But personally I can afford to spend 13 dollars / month as long as I am getting some good entertainment out of it.

I really, really wanted to play this, as I was insanely interested in the idea of WWIIOnline (but, all my friends at GameSpy said it was utter tripe, and got me hooked on OpFlash instead) but presently, I'm too broke to even get the game, much less pay the fees.

Still, the concept I think is fabulous, and I can't wait to see if the game can succeed where WWIIOnline failed.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jinef @ April 11 2003,14:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I might but i don't like the idea of paying monthly, it's an outrageous amount of money over a year or so for a computer game!<span id='postcolor'>

i totally agree with jinef, paying 2 play is really the last thing i would do on a game i have already paid and then have to pay every month to play it.

Paying a monthly fee isnt really that bad at all, if the game is good.... I have played a good few online games with am onthly fee and each of them lasted me 1 or 2 years. In which time i didnt spend as much money on other games, so the tiny tiny monthly fee is justified if you ask me. I might just get this one smile.gif

I have no problem with paying (other than not being wealthy enough), its the same as paying for something like a gaming magazine every month, only you get much more for your money. The people who maintain the game, update the servers and so on has to get paid in some way.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KingBeast @ April 11 2003,18:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Paying a monthly fee isnt really that bad at all, if the game is good.... I have played a good few online games with am onthly fee and each of them lasted me 1 or 2 years. In which time i didnt spend as much money on other games, so the tiny tiny monthly fee is justified if you ask me. I might just get this one smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Oooooh...not a good idea if you are getting married!

Ever heard the term 'Everquest Widow'?

Unless of course you network your computers and get her an account too biggrin.gif

I have resisted playing any MMORPG sort of games mainly for the reason I dont want to lose what little life I still have! biggrin.gif

But Planetside does look cool. Too bad that most of these games that look cool end up being crap.

wow.gif1--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ April 11 2003,20wow.gif1)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KingBeast @ April 11 2003,18:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Paying a monthly fee isnt really that bad at all, if the game is good.... I have played a good few online games with am onthly fee and each of them lasted me 1 or 2 years. In which time i didnt spend as much money on other games, so the tiny tiny monthly fee is justified if you ask me. I might just get this one smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Unless of course you network your computers and get her an account too biggrin.gif

I have resisted playing any MMORPG sort of games mainly for the reason I dont want to lose what little life I still have! biggrin.gif

But Planetside does look cool.  Too bad that most of these games that look cool end up being crap.<span id='postcolor'>

Everuqest Widow? Only one person in the millions that play it. I don't see how people can get totally immersed in that game. I play both EQ and AO, but I don't find it as addicting as alot of people make it sound. Sure, it can be frustrating at times, but I think a person shoulden't even play a computer if they cannot even handle that game.

If I person has gone to the point where they can't control themselves, then they should get off and do something else. I find that only people with a very low level of self esteem or those of pathetic nature to play the game for more than a day without break.

No really, I think its pathetic that a few people actually killed themselves over a game. Same with taht kid in Hong Kong who died because he didn't eat or sleep for 72 hours from playing Counter Strike. There is an example of a waste of flesh. IF you can't control yourself, then get off the bloody computer people!

"No really, I think its pathetic that a few people actually killed themselves over a game. Same with taht kid in Hong Kong who died because he didn't eat or sleep for 72 hours from playing Counter Strike. There is an example of a waste of flesh. IF you can't control yourself, then get off the bloody computer people!"

Its an addiction, like many others. Not really that different. To much of anything is dangerous to your health.

i made a post of this game a long time ago, it really looks like its gona be a really cool game. i hope that they bring out on the PS2 cause my PC is rather aged, but the things i don't really like are that you have to be certified to man certian vehicles, sure its a good way to keep TKers and Newbis from screwing everything up but they only allow only so many certificates per player. but thats a minor problem since its supposed to support 1000+ players, and wage war on many massive planets ill glady pay a minor fee

Screen shots

screen shot

screenshot

screenshot

I got an email from Sony saying I've been accepted into the beta testing thingy - what a coincidence that someone started a thread here about it too. biggrin.gif

Huh. I just got accepted too. I'm gonna download it today while i'm out.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ April 11 2003,13:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KingBeast @ April 11 2003,18:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Paying a monthly fee isnt really that bad at all, if the game is good.... I have played a good few online games with am onthly fee and each of them lasted me 1 or 2 years. In which time i didnt spend as much money on other games, so the tiny tiny monthly fee is justified if you ask me. I might just get this one smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

But Planetside does look cool.  Too bad that most of these games that look cool end up being crap.<span id='postcolor'>

EQA

EverQuest anonymous.

I thought about starting that up, make a TON of money here where I live. Hell, I have never played the game in my life, and I proud that I havn't but I think I must do something truely grateful before I die!

I would yell and insult the EQ players at the meetings, to the point where they are so self-loathing that they will feel embarrased playing that game. Then they pay me $100 american for my services. biggrin.gif

My cd is in the mail...

Yep, I should get my CD tomorrow biggrin.gif

Eh, You can't compare WWIIOL to PS, because they are completely different genres, they weren't meant to compete.

Second, how the HELL can you even THINK of comparing a WWII game that realistic to a anti-realism game based in the far fetched future.