Sign in to follow this  
SoulEnd281

Game Engine

How hard would it be to swap out ArmA III's Engine using a 3rd party community based mod?

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, SoulEnd281 said:

How hard would it be to swap out ArmA III's Engine using a 3rd party community based mod?

Very.

• Like 2

It would probably be easier to just make a new game.

A lot of the ArmA III Community has already pretty much, and practically reverse engineered the games code anyway with mods.

No they didn't. And you can't "swap engines" with a mod like a pair of shoes.

• Like 1

They did.... Look at the amount of mods available through the games SDK, as well as the amount of mods that are available on Steam.

At this point I'm not sure if you're trolling or just very naive. Mods, whilst broad in their scope and being able to change many facets of the games content don't come close to changing the core engine of the game.

The game is not like a car where you can just take the engine out and swap in a newer, more powerful one. If that were even remotely possible I'm pretty sure BI would have done it themselves years ago.

Its taken 4 games and numerous expansions for them to decide to switch over for Reforger/Arma 4...

• Like 4

Nope. I am not trolling. I am telling the genuine truth. The game has indeed practically been reverse engineered by the community due to its modding community.

While I certainly agree that the uhh, core engine of the game has remained untouched, the mods are making the game better in regards to content.

I was meaning as the very last major update to ArmA 3 after its support ceases. I.e., when the game reaches end of life if you will.

On 7/26/2023 at 12:35 AM, Jackal326 said:

At this point I'm not sure if you're trolling or just very naive. Mods, whilst broad in their scope and being able to change many facets of the games content don't come close to changing the core engine of the game.

The game is not like a car where you can just take the engine out and swap in a newer, more powerful one. If that were even remotely possible I'm pretty sure BI would have done it themselves years ago.

Its taken 4 games and numerous expansions for them to decide to switch over for Reforger/Arma 4...

5 minutes ago, SoulEnd281 said:

The game has indeed practically been reverse engineered by the community due to its modding community.

Im curious -can you give an example of this? 

You asked if the game engine could be replaced via a community mod. The answer is "no."

The question itself belies a fundamental lack of understanding of what a game engine is.

1 minute ago, froggyluv said:

reverse engineered

Reverse-engineering is unnecessary, as there is a freely available SDK, as well as a fairly comprehensive documentation of all commands, functions, etc. on the wiki or with the in-game tools. As above, what example can you provide?

• Like 1

Just now, froggyluv said:

Im curious -can you give an example of this? 

Not in the sense that your thinking, but, if you think about the amount of mods that one can get from the Steam Workshop for the game, you'd be impressed to know how the developers get into the games code to make the mod work with it.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/107410/workshop/

1 minute ago, SoulEnd281 said:

the developers get into the games code to make the mod work with it.

That's not how any of this works.

• Like 1

Just now, Harzach said:

You asked if the game engine could be replaced via a community mod. The answer is "no."

The question itself belies a fundamental lack of understanding of what a game engine is.

Reverse-engineering is unnecessary, as there is a freely available SDK, as well as a fairly comprehensive documentation of all commands, functions, etc. on the wiki or with the in-game tools. As above, what example can you provide?

Well, I wouldn't call myself a professional programmer in this sense, I am only just getting into Python Code using Conda.

So, it's only natural to currently misunderstand what a game engine is, know they exist though, and only have an SDK to work with.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Harzach said:

That's not how any of this works.

I will ask the same question politely, and request an example.

I am just speaking from a performance standpoint, because the game's performance is atrocious at best.

I think the highest frame rate I saw this game run at on my particular system is 88-100fps offline, and about 15-20fps online regardless of the situation.

Vsync was disabled though, apart from when I was running the game online.

5 minutes ago, SoulEnd281 said:

I will ask the same question politely, and request an example.

Of what? The thing you imagined?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Harzach said:

Of what? The thing you imagined?

I was requesting how a mod to improve the games performance was not possible.

I requested an example of such.

I moved on from the possibility of swapping the games engine with a mod (as I was informed that it would be not possible), to just using what we have to improve games performance.

10 minutes ago, SoulEnd281 said:

Because the devs themselves cannot improve Arma 3's performance without rewriting core engine features (so essentially making a new game, and guess what, they created Enfusion because they can't do anything more with Real Virtuality, Reforger is using it and Arma 4 will be). In its current state, it is the same Real Virtuality environment that was used before and has been already improved as much as possible within the span of all Arma games (excluding Reforger ofc). If devs cannot boost game's performance then how do you expect a mod (that works on top of the game, not replaces it) to do this?

If you want better performance then get a better computer, close any unnecessary apps running on your PC, disable shadows and lower the render distance. You can run the Performance/Profiling branch instead of the stable one as it changes some values and adds some bypasses to make certain aspects of the game less annoying than they are rn, but that's about it. Or wait for Arma 4.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Optimization of the games code to include multi-core support, because the game currently runs on a single CPU core.

How to insert images is another thing.

The best way for me to point out something is a screenshot of Task Manager.

https://imgur.com/kMgBkpo

1 hour ago, SoulEnd281 said:

An example of how it is not possible? That none exist is as close as I can get.

30 minutes ago, SoulEnd281 said:

How to insert images

Since you are using Imgur, copy the "Direct" link to your image, then paste into the "Insert" dialogue in the lower right corner of the reply field.

O5Ra9dh.png

13 minutes ago, Harzach said:

An example of how it is not possible? That none exist is as close as I can get.

Well, there is the Arma 3 Performance Extension.

The "Insert image URL" feature is bugged for me as I have a perfectly correct link that I posted above, and the feature glows Red, indicating an invalid link.

Arma 3 Performance Extension

OK, so we're just talking about generally improving performance via modding. Sure, hiding objects (literally, using hideObject, which is what that mod does) might help, but not a lot. Graphically, A3 is no big deal. Those objects (including AI units) are still simulated, and that's where the real performance issues are. Using native dynamic simulation or a caching mod like ALiVE takes some time and skill to set up well, but can definitely provide a real benefit.

the feature glows Red, indicating an invalid link

Are you sure you are copying the correct link?

What browser are you using?

6 hours ago, SoulEnd281 said:

I am just speaking from a performance standpoint, because the game's performance is atrocious at best.

I think the highest frame rate I saw this game run at on my particular system is 88-100fps offline, and about 15-20fps online regardless of the situation.

Vsync was disabled though, apart from when I was running the game online.

Online performance is dependent on alot of factors vs offline.

- What are your computer specs to begin with?

- So offline you get 88-100fps which is fine, but then what are you playing when you get these numbers a mission you created, scenario you subbed too, messing around in the editor?

- Are you running any mods when you play, which mods, how many mods if any?

- So your issue is with online performance, so are you joining a public server, private server?

- Whats the scenario being played on the server? (if its a life scenario then theres your problem).

- How many players are playing at once?

- Does the scenario require any mods, and what mods?

- What's the server's location vs yours (whats your ping)?

- What's your internet speed.

===========

From my own experience and i coop with a group every weekend, we use about 11-15mods, the scenarios are

heavy with ai, most spawn in based on range and area and where we are at, but i average at least 60+fps when i play if not more,

we use certain mods and scripts for view distance as i fly alot so i can set my vie distance to 8-10,000m and it wont effect my performance.

======

You cant blame the engine for not performing when your running the game on a crap computer which your probably not,

you cant blame the engine or the game because your internet speed sucks, or your on a server with 50+ mods with 60 people on it,

in a scenario that is using a 100 scripts for every misc feature.  

Using init.sqf vs using initserver.sqf for example is the difference between everyone running the script once vs only the script

being run once for everyone on a server with a ton of people will kill the performance.

Again theres alot of factors that determine how the performance of online even offline scenarios play out.

Also mods you suggest for replacing the engine are only working because of the engine, their not independent applications that

cofunction with the game's engine.