Sign in to follow this  
Heavy Metal

Everything you wanted to know about 5.56 nato

Long time no talk my friends. I like the 5.56 round because it is light and cheap, but I think I will always be partial to 7.62 x 51 NATO. Building a pre-ban AR-15 carbine with the tax returm this year. Gotta love that Hope Education tax credit.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ Mar. 03 2003,02:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Long time no talk my friends.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes it has, nice to see you back smile.gif

Look mom, USSoldier is back!

*A ticker tape parade is thrown in the streets of New York*

Hey, welcome back neighbor.You still here in Colorado?You shoot any bad guys? wink.gif

But about 5.56, they are pretty cheap.At about $0.30 a round.

Another thing I like about the 5.56 is that its fast, and I mean fast.Traveling at 3700 fps.So that means It'll hit your target in a shorter time, and you don't need to aim in front of a running target as much.

All though, its really a .22 on steroids. wink.gif

(.22 is 5.5mm)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SKULLS_Viper @ Mar. 03 2003,05:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey, welcome back neighbor.You still here in Colorado?You shoot any bad guys? wink.gif

But about 5.56, they are pretty cheap.At about $0.30 a round.<span id='postcolor'>

Hmmm...Dont know where YOU shop,...but I buy genuine Lake City USGI M193 BALL at $199.00 for a case of 1000 rounds.

Thats about 5 cents a round.

OR Winchester Q3131A (which is Israeli manufactured, USGI spec M193 BALL) for the same price.

Click here if you want to buy some

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (madmedic @ Mar. 03 2003,08:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SKULLS_Viper @ Mar. 03 2003,05:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey, welcome back neighbor.You still here in Colorado?You shoot any bad guys? wink.gif

But about 5.56, they are pretty cheap.At about $0.30 a round.<span id='postcolor'>

Hmmm...Dont know where YOU shop,...but I buy genuine Lake City USGI M193 BALL at $199.00 for a case of 1000 rounds.

Thats about 5 cents a round.

OR Winchester Q3131A (which is Israeli manufactured, USGI spec M193 BALL) for the same price.

<a href="www.ammoman.com" target="_blank">Click here if you want to buy some</a><span id='postcolor'>

Ahh, buying in bulk- it's the American way smile.gif

yup. buy in bulk, you save $$.

I bought 1000 rounds of 9mm Sellier & Bellot 115gr from a local gun shop over the weekend for $160 bucks. gonna keep me full until June(hopefully).nice CZ rounds for my nice CZs. smile.gif

*ofcourse, ammoman has lower price, but i'm supporting my dealer. wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Another thing I like about the 5.56 is that its fast, and I mean fast.Traveling at 3700 fps.So that means It'll hit your target in a shorter time, and you don't need to aim in front of a running target as much.<span id='postcolor'>

Try 3150 to 3250 feet per second. 5.56 isn't quite that fast.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SKULLS_Viper @ Mar. 03 2003,17:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well then, you need to do some research.

Check this link.

<a href="http://www.winchester.com/ammunition/store/cfrproductsheet.eye?symbol=SBST223A&qrystr=Y2FydGxpc3Q9TWpJeklGSmxiV2x1WjNSdmJnJTNEJTNEJnVzZWxpc3Q9bm9uZSZicmFuZGxpc3Q9bm9uZSZpbWFnZT

" target="_blank">http://www.winchester.com/ammunit....==]http</a>

A 5.56 can do 3700 fps.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, but that's a 40 grain varmint load for squirrels and such, not something you'd want to go hunting larger, man-sized mammals with.

When talking about .223/5.56 ammo, I think we all expect it to be either 55gr or 62gr ball ammo, and that will not reach those velocities in a resonable length barrel.

Ah, ok I was just talking about the fastest 5.56 avail, not military round.

All though, I find a 5.56 actually pretty small though.Of course, it will mushroom to double its size on impact.(pending on bullet of course).But I'd perfer something alittle bigger.Like a 7.62mm maybe.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Heavy Metal @ Mar. 01 2003,17:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What's the Difference between .308 Winchester & 7.62x51mm NATO?<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks, but that reading was way over my head, i'm too inexperienced to understand yet. I just wanna know if I get a Remington 700P in .308 Winchester, will 7.62 NATO do anything bad(like blowing my gun up)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Grey Fox @ Mar. 05 2003,04:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Heavy Metal @ Mar. 01 2003,17:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What's the Difference between .308 Winchester & 7.62x51mm NATO?<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks, but that reading was way over my head, i'm too inexperienced to understand yet. I just wanna know if I get a Remington 700P in .308 Winchester, will 7.62 NATO do anything bad(like blowing my gun up)<span id='postcolor'>

you can fire 7.62 NATO in your Remmy 700 with no problems.

and in time honoured tradition heres whats available in the uk.

1. the .22 & .177 pellets in various forms

accupell.jpg

pell-rn6.jpg

pell-point1.jpg

Dynamic%20SN1.jpg

Prometheus%20Z2.JPG

Compare

4caliberpellets.jpg

(.25 pellet usually needs a rifle that requires a firearms cerrtificate to own)

:note: hollow points will only fragment and warp on toy soldiers at no more than 10 - 20 metres  wow.gif

<edit> forgot to add the slingshot in this kind of thread but what puzzles me is that if u need a license to own a airgun over 12 ft\lbs how come u dont need one for a bow,crossbow or harpoon gun confused.gif

I don't think that you need a license to own an airgun in the US. I'm not sure though, I have an airgun its a decent size with a scope... gee you poor Europeans don't have anything to do. It's all Jaque Chirac's fault for not going to war with Saddam! You'd have guns if you did! Blame france!

---------------------------------------

*DISCLAIMER*

The preceeding statements were not intended in any way to hurt any frenchie's feelings and/or start any fights related to politics. This is merely an attempt at comedy and it may be disregarded if you decide to disregard it.

3 Cheers for Disclamers!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">forgot to add the slingshot in this kind of thread but what puzzles me is that if u need a license to own a airgun over 12 ft\lbs how come u dont need one for a bow,crossbow or harpoon gun<span id='postcolor'>

Because the English still fear a combined attack by Viking Longboats in concert with Moby Dick most of all! biggrin.gif

You just wait!

When you are fighting in Iraq, you'll suddenly notice an Armada of European, Russian (i know they're part of Europe but they're cool enough to get seperated) and Chinese warships and AC surrounding America!

WE INVADE AND CLAIM AMERICA ONCE AGAIN!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jinef @ Mar. 08 2003,12:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You just wait!

When you are fighting in Iraq, you'll suddenly notice an Armada of European, Russian (i know they're part of Europe but they're cool enough to get seperated) and Chinese warships and AC surrounding America!

WE INVADE AND CLAIM AMERICA ONCE AGAIN!<span id='postcolor'>

and we share what remains , france wants california to keep the monopoly on wine , we also want florida cuz it's warm and there are alligators that can make good handbags in the swamps around there , we leave you the rest .... tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Mar. 08 2003,21:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'd like to see foreign troops try to set foot in Texas, Montana, or Tennessee...  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Redneck Special Forces

redneck_special_forces.jpg