Sign in to follow this  
Doolittle

Shilka broke

I noticed you can't Turn Out when you are the driver of a Shilka, but when I put an AI person in there and they are in SAFE mode, they Turn Out.  It was weirdest thing to see half the Shilka's front opened up like that as I'd never seen that before.

022020039272744.jpg

03_11_01.jpg

Doolittle

Looks like the guys a pretty easy target.

Whoa! So that's what a Shilka looks like IRL! Beauty!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Skul @ Feb. 21 2003,03:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Whoa! So that's what a Shilka looks like IRL! Beauty!<span id='postcolor'>

Yes Skul, it is a beautiful thing. About the Turn out bug/problem. Someone made a shilka with a working turnout for the driver. You can get it at http://ofp.gamezone.cz/

one quick and simple question:

What for?

As stated by edc, the only thing it would do is make the driver an easy target. I wonder why anyone would turn out in a tank?? makes no sense, since you can see the same while inside just using the "scope" view for the driver. PLUS: You won't block the turret from moving. (like ppl who don't know how to play the game)

Maybe he wants to do a parade style intro or outro...I know I've always wanted to do that...Would be sweet...You know like May Day style parade through the streets of Petrovice...All the Soviet arsenal paraded,Shilkas,BMPs,T-72s,-80s...the lot, then a mass flypast...woaaaaaa!!!! biggrin.gif

I usually always drive tanks with Turn Out...my little head sticking out the driver port. You can hold down mouse look key (ALT) and look left and right while you drive. You can see a LOT more this way.

Doolittle

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Doolittle @ Feb. 22 2003,05:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I usually always drive tanks with Turn Out...my little head sticking out the driver port.  You can hold down mouse look key (ALT) and look left and right while you drive.  You can see a LOT more this way.

Doolittle<span id='postcolor'>

Doolittle is totally right there

lol...well your little head'll end up as a big mess if you drive this way...Hmmm...driving on a battlefield turned, dounds good! biggrin.gif

The only reasons why they turn out in real life is 1) for parades! wink.gif and 2) for the commander and gunner to be able to fire their mounted M2 and SAW respectively (on an abrams anyway) u seen the film "courage under fire?" Denzil gets out his turret and bosts a load of iraqi infantary whilst turned out on his M2 biggrin.gif

I'll turn out if I'm on my way to a waypoint/battle, then once the enemy is sighted I haul my ass back inside the tank..... then get blown to smithereens! biggrin.gif

When in a tank with a gunner (and commander) it's not your job as driver to look around anyway.

That's what most players don't understand! The gunner can't move it's turret when the driver is turned out. So by turning out in a mission (other than a spectator's-sightseeing-mission) you make your tank, and therefore yourself vunarable to enemy units, since the gunner can't take a shot at them, as long as they are not at 12 o'clock.

That's like riding on a bus with a huge "Shoot me" sign on both sides, with one guy straped to your bus' roof with a gun but you hold the bullets. So when an enemy turns up, he can yell: "Give me the bullets!" but by the time you passed them over, you both are dead already.

Its great using the turn out function when you are not in a dangerous situation. Driving to the battle area is much easier when you are turned out and can see where you are going wich is very hard with scope view if the ground isnt flat.

Animal_Mother, you actually let other people get in the tank with you!? Are you insane!? smile.gif

I always drive alone because I'm stupid like that. But then again my strategy is usually to drive to the edge of a battle and fire from really far away, not going straight into battle amongst everyone.

Doolittle

Tanks work best with a full crew. But, everyone to their own! biggrin.gif

Tanks "should" work best with a full crew, but I think Doolittle is like myself in the way that I don't put my life in other people's hands, and if you rely on a driver, that is what you are doing.

90% of players do not know how to drive a tank.

They do not know that when you are being fired at, you must MOVE

They do not know when to stop and give you a clear target, They do not know NOT to park on a hill so your turret can't lower to target.

They don't know that you must circle enemy tanks so that you take hits evenly on your armor and not just one side, thus increasing your chances of survival.

Usually letting someone in my tank is an exercise in cruel and unusual punishment.

I never let anyone else share a tank with me, its very stupid. As Lt_Damage pointed out, most people dont understand how to use a tank properly. Whenever im a driver, the gunner seems to not notice the big abrams staring at him right in front of us, or when im the gunner, the driver dosn't realize that I can't shoot on a hill. Its very frustrating.

Generally I share a tank only with people I know and people that are in the same group as me and on the same teamspeak channel with me.

If the commander isn't in the same group as the gunner, the gunner will hear the commander calling targets but I don't think he will get a target box.

Playing primarily on the SHoP server on tank maps Thief and I generally tear up most competitors with him driving and me gunning. If you ever see Thief on your server you should consider him to be your tank driver and me as your gunner wink.gif