Sign in to follow this  
Nic

Robots rule!

Im sure all of you have seen Sony's super smart robot dog (AIBO) by now and all of the crappy rip off robot dogs that followed...but this new robot my brother showed me is just so amazing. Its just so lifelike. It has the ability to actually see its enviroment with a camera which allows it to recognize objects such as your face and remember them (as much as its memory will allow). It also has voice recognition and can interact with and learn you language. Not to mention its not just moving around on wheels or anything...its actually using bipedal movent to get around. Plus...when it gets low on battery power...it just walks over and recharges itself. Too bad it costs so much to own however...Ive heard its about as much as a luxary sedan.

Anyways..here is a link showing what the Sony SDR-X4 can do..such as being able to negotiat balance on a scaled surf board, and how it can get back up after being pushed over. Its kinda funny when it gets pushed over - they ask it if its ok and it waves and says "yes, thank you for your concern". I think id teach mine to yell at anyone who repeatedly pushed it over.  (by the way...this is the only site ive seen with footage of it...and its not the best but its still just so cool)

http://www.tokyodv.com/news/SonySDR-4XRobot.html

and here is short one showing it walking a little

http://www.tokyodv.com/news/RoboDex2002SDR-3XSonybot.html

Well...any of you out there concerned with technology taking over humans...here is the beggining. wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Nic @ Feb. 21 2003,00:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Too bad it costs so much to own however...Ive heard its about as much as a luxary sedan.<span id='postcolor'>

That`s not a problem, simply tell your robot to work in the next McDonalds or Burger King and after a few years you have your money back tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FallenPaladin @ Feb. 20 2003,17:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That`s not a problem, simply tell your robot to work in the next McDonalds or Burger King and after a few years you have your money back  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

LOL

And you're right Nic, this is the beginning of the end for human existence. The robots are coming! Beware people, BEWARE!

/me puts a condom on his head and hides under the couch

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That`s not a problem, simply tell your robot to work in the next McDonalds or Burger King and after a few years you have your money back<span id='postcolor'>

Hehe...we were thinking about something like that...but he would need a booster chair or something...hes a bit short.

Oh yeah..and here a site that talks about thier goal is to develop a team of fully autonomous humanoid robots

that can win against the human world soccer champion team by the year 2050. http://www.robocup.org/

That would be totally kick ass to see...just think how the human team would feel.

Honda is also making a humaniod robot that's between 4 and 5 feet tall. i can't remember what they were calling it. asmo i think it's called, but it's supposed to be able to help people paticulary elderly. although im kind of skepticle about the design of these robots. they don't look like they could maintain their balance.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PiNs_Da_Smoka @ Feb. 21 2003,01:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">/me puts a condom on his head and hides under the couch<span id='postcolor'>

You can fit a condom over you're head?? Oh, you're talking about the other head... or are you?

Nevermind, don't answer that.

Very cool. But I was rather distracted by the adult DVD links tounge.gif

The Japanese are very good at building biped robots. Mind you it is not a trivial thing to design.

Last fall me and a colleague of mine did a project that involved making a biped lego robot that would teach itself to walk.

bastard.jpg

bastard2.jpg

In the end it actually learned to walk all by itself without the external crutches that you see on the picture. The crutches had pressure sensors in them that gave a feedback to the control system, giving a 'punishment' when they were pressed. Through that it learned how it should coordinate it's shifting of the center of gravity and the leg movement.

Here is a rather large video (20 mb) of one of the prototype phases that were umm...less successful, but entertaining nevertheless.

Video

I don't know, the Japanese have some strange robots...

god-jesus.jpg

What this robot needs is the voice of the Daleks from Dr. Who saying something like EXTERMINATE!!! ANNIHILATE!!! DESTROY!!!  Listen here.wav biggrin.gifMore here

-=Die Alive=-

lol Denior. Neat robot. May I ask why the head kept moving from side to side?

I've made a few walking robots. Using K'nex and a couple of battery powered motors. To bad I couldn't control them really. Just go forward or backward depending on the motor setting.

Wasn't that succesful in building two legged creatures. Although one I did make worked out pretty well sometimes... sometimes.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ Feb. 21 2003,02:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">lol Denior.  Neat robot.  May I ask why the head kept moving from side to side?<span id='postcolor'>

The "head" is its mass center and it moves by shifting it into the right position. In the prototype shown on the video there was no real control system yet - it was just a demonstration of the mechanics. The mass center was just hard-coded to move back and forth smile.gif

I had trouble playing the video of your bot Denoir...I think its my media player though...prob need some codecs or something. Pretty cool idea though...I also liked the name you gave it..Bastardo..hehe.

And about those Honda bots...I believe thats also what they are currently using in that project to make an all robot soccer team.

I think that it is DivX 3 encoding on it...

The name of the robot is actually "bastard" wich stands for Biped Autonomous Self Tutoring Assembled Robotic Drone.

We decided on that name after yelling "You bastard!" to it smile.gif

Ahh..got the video to work. Thats funny stuff denoir...I like how it was in sync with the music...hehe. So did it ever learn to walk without using the crutches at all? -EDIT- Ahh...I see you said earlier that it did learn, thats pretty sweet man.

And here is some much better quality videos my bro found of the Sony bot (just hit cancel when it askes you to d/l new characters...also click the link right above the media player box to see in full screen)

More action on the surfboard : http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/pc/docs/2002/0320/sony1b.htm

A group of them dancing in sync (this ones pretty funny, also if you look closesly you can see that they have 5 operational fingers) : http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/pc/docs/2002/0320/sony5b.htm

A group of them singing in rythem (in japanese) : http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/pc/docs/2002/0320/sony4b.htm

Getting pushed over again : http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/pc/docs/2002/0320/sony3b.htm

Shows how it does some decision making w/ objects (I can only guess, all in japanese) : http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/pc/docs/2002/0320/sony2b.htm

On a sidenatoe how would it be possible to control a robot thing from ur pc asides cannibalising some lego or other kits for the parts,it would be much easier to troubleshoot from a pc before putting a chip in it.

oh and curse my dial up,i can`t watch the bideos becuase they take ages to download mad.gif

What I want to know is how long do any of you think it will be till the Japanese start putting themselves in robots. Ten story tall robots.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (peanuckle_00 @ Feb. 21 2003,06:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What I want to know is how long do any of you think it will be till the Japanese start putting themselves in robots.  Ten story tall robots.<span id='postcolor'>

lol man, I was just about to mention how maybe the Japanese were serious with such anime movies as Pat Labour and Robotech smile.gif. Seen comercials for that ASIMO before, damn cool! Getting too dependent on something like that may have some serious consequences later on though, I know we're not anywhere near close but what happens when they become self-consious? you have the whole slavery deal all over again. And I've already posted this before, but it is in my opinion a great story about the dangers of dependency on technology The Machine Stops

disclaimer: ok so I'm getting kind of drunk now & past my bedtime, so if it I sound like I'm talking out of my ass, maybe I am

i think the asimo is pretty neat, but i simply don't see how a bipedaled robot would serve much. i think the best way to start out w/ the first A.I. robot is go w/ something similar to this one robot that i saw in a movie called Red Planet w/ Val Kilmer. the robot in the movie sorta moved kinda like a cat and it's limbs were able to rotate and piviot in any direction. it could walk on two feet, but would travle on all four's on long distances giving it faster mobility making it perfect for search and rescue. if you could look beyond the part were the robot goes postal and kills just about everybody than i think it would be a best robot to make.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (peanuckle_00 @ Feb. 21 2003,06:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What I want to know is how long do any of you think it will be till the Japanese start putting themselves in robots.  Ten story tall robots.<span id='postcolor'>

physicaly impossible i would think. even if they found a way to make one work i would guess that the weight would cause it to callaspe on itself.

You are right RedOct....the robot in Red Planet was kick ass...but one step at a time.

From the look of it, I'm pretty sure that Sony SDR-X4 and Asimo both have big gyroscopes to maintain their balance. There is still a long way to go to a TRULY bipedal robot (no gyros).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Renagade @ Feb. 21 2003,05:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">On a sidenatoe how would it be possible to control a robot thing from ur pc asides cannibalising some lego or other kits for the parts,it would be much easier to troubleshoot from a pc before putting a chip in it.<span id='postcolor'>

I advise very much against using lego for building robots. Sure it it's a nostalgic trip to your childhood but it isn't worth it due to all the practical problems. Lego isn't made for precise high-stress mechanics and you end up breaking gears and other components. The lego robotics system is pretty bad too. You have limited sensor input and motor output. The operating system that comes along with it is unusable for anything but kids' play so you have to choose between buggy crappy alternate operating systems.

Communication with the PC is horrible. We spent most of the time developing a low-level IR driver and protocol. Debugging is more or less impossible on the RCX (lego computer) since it has a small seven character LCD display - that's all.

In short, the best is to use custom components.

yes i meant getting a better pc control system,im sure there is far better and cheaper alternatives instead of using lego for the body and mechanics.