Sign in to follow this  
IceFire

Eyes hurt.

Hi all, I'm IceFire.

I was wondering about something for my computer monitor.

Arn't there those screens that you can put on your monitor so block the radiation from getting to your eyes? I don't want my eyes to go bad.

Would it hurt my graphics?

Thanks

IceFire

I don't know about all the different screen types, I imagine some have been designed to block unwanted wavelengths while being mostly transparent to our visible light. What I can tell you is raise the refresh rate above 80Hz, work with a monitor brightness that matches your room ambient lighting (or a little darker). I do know about the mesh screens, they are useless as the blurr your graphics a little and block all wavelengths equally, so you wil lfind yourself raising the monitor brightness to overcome the effect.

Don't work in high resolutions unless you need to, and get a low radiation monitor. wink.gif What else can you do.

EDIT: Sit at a good distance from the monitor, 80cm if possible.

Hmm, I don't know about that other stuff you said. But my head is usually about 3 1/2 feet away from the screen.

Is that any good?

What about the lights?

I usually play with all the lights off in the room because I thought this would reduce glare. Should I turn them on?

You can get filters for smaller screens that reduce glare and iritating overbrightness. If you want to look like a secretary... and there is nothing wrong with over ressing. 1600x1200 sounds fine too me.

Epita

And remember to blink your eyes every few seconds. smile.gif

This is not a joke. Some people actually are so focused about what they do with their computers that their blinking rate reduces significantly and that can cause problems with eyes. Or maybe you should see an optician.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ Feb. 15 2003,12:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What about the lights?

I usually play with all the lights off in the room because I thought this would reduce glare. Should I turn them on?<span id='postcolor'>

There is probably your biggest problem. You need enough light in your room to get our eyes to adjust so that the light from the monitor is not blinding you, like it is now.

Room Lights ON smile.gif At least some amount, and rearrange stuff to get rid of glare.

You have to find out about increasing the refresh rate on your video card/monitor above 80Hz. Try google. smile.gif

If you are concerned about radiation, replace your CRT with an LCD monitor.

Other than that, take bn880's advice.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ Feb. 15 2003,20:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Some people actually are so focused about what they do with their computers that their blinking rate reduces significantly and that can cause problems with eyes. Or maybe you should see an optician.<span id='postcolor'>

Don't know if it's related but driving games make me cry (no seriously) I often find when I'm concentrating on a driving game I sometimes start to cry, prolly a good reason I have no intention to ever drive in real life biggrin.gif

I know some people who have difficulty coping with airconditioning air or steady airstreams coming from things like ceiling fans, because it dries and irritates their eyes (I had the latter problem myself). If this is the case, I suggest finding an alternate way of cooling the room while you are in it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Feb. 15 2003,22:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Don't know if it's related but driving games make me cry (no seriously) I often find when I'm concentrating on a driving game I sometimes start to cry, prolly a good reason I have no intention to ever drive in real life biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, driving games are the worst for it by a long way, Gran Turismo caused my eyes to stream uncontrollablely...and that wasn't just passing the driving tests.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ Feb. 14 2003,19:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi all,  I'm IceFire.

I was wondering about something for my computer monitor.

Arn't there those screens that you can put on your monitor so block the radiation from getting to your eyes?  I don't want my eyes to go bad.

Would it hurt my graphics?

Thanks

IceFire<span id='postcolor'>

If you don't want to hurt your eyes, make sure that you take regular breaks, don't stare at the screen too long. Go outside a lot, make sure that your eyes can relax a lot. Also make sure that your computer isn't the only thing that produces light in the room you are sitting in. Make sure there's a lot of light.

When you are tired don't use your computer too much, this isn't very healthy for your eyes.

If you don't spend too much time behind your computer you shouldn't have too much problems. However, if you're a real freak your eyes might suffer...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DnA @ Feb. 15 2003,22:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I know some people who have difficulty coping with airconditioning air or steady airstreams coming from things like ceiling fans, because it dries and irritates their eyes (I had the latter problem myself).<span id='postcolor'>

Yup I have that problem too, I wear contact lenses (gas permeable the worse kind for this) and rooms that are of a "dry heat" nature really hurt my eyes, unfortunately my office is one of those places, they heat the room with electric heaters with no windows open which makes it very uncomfortable at times crazy.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Feb. 15 2003,18:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DnA @ Feb. 15 2003,22:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I know some people who have difficulty coping with airconditioning air or steady airstreams coming from things like ceiling fans, because it dries and irritates their eyes (I had the latter problem myself).<span id='postcolor'>

Yup I have that problem too, I wear contact lenses (gas permeable the worse kind for this) and rooms that are of a "dry heat" nature really hurt my eyes, unfortunately my office is one of those places, they heat the room with electric heaters with no windows open which makes it very uncomfortable at times crazy.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I'm even worse, after a couple hours in some AC'd places, I can't think anymore, I become all immobilized or something. biggrin.gif That's in addition to the dry eyes.

Be shure to drink plenty of water.It will help keep your eyes from getting dry.

And get fresh air to(go outside), will help make you more 'alive'.Breath in thru your nose, and breath out thru your mouth a couple of times. wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SKULLS_Viper @ Feb. 15 2003,19:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Be shure to drink plenty of water.It will help keep your eyes from getting dry.

And get fresh air to(go outside), will help make you more 'alive'.Breath in thru your nose, and breath out thru your mouth a couple of times. wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

That's true, but your boss will hate you for going to pee and breathe so often, we all know that's not allowed. biggrin.gif