Sign in to follow this  
2stoned2kil-

Su-37 berkut in progress

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Feb. 10 2003,21:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Looks more like a Su-47 to me<span id='postcolor'>

*EIIHH* you're wrong kegetys

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (2stoned2kil| @ Feb. 10 2003,22:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Feb. 10 2003,21:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Looks more like a Su-47 to me<span id='postcolor'>

*EIIHH* you're wrong kegetys<span id='postcolor'>

Well, then its a _very_ bad Su37, since the real thing looks like this:

su-27-02l.jpg

And this is a Su47:

Su-47_21.jpg

shit thats fucked , now i cant trust those good old illegal russian sites anymore : but this was posted at Flashpoint.ru

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">SU-37  

cyxob187 is working on SU-37 addon.

02/10/03 / 07:23:35 by psyKKe [+/- 0 ]   No comments<span id='postcolor'>

SU-37 is one of flanker family biggrin.gif

S-37 Berkut is totally different new Russian fighter, many people mess up between the name of s-37 and su-37 smile.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------

In formation from www.fas.org :

S-37 Berkut

The S-37 Berkut [Golden Eagle] is a testbed for developing technologies for the next generation of aircraft. The basic dimensions and weight of the S-37 "Berkut" are similar to those of Su-37, although they are different aircraft, and the tail, nose and canopy are similar to those of the Su-35. The first two prototypes of this aircraft were evidently designated the S-32, and the S-37 designation was previously applied to an unrelated fighter project for a smaller delta wing single aircraft that was cancelled due to lack of funding.

The S-37 features forward-swept wings, which promises a range of benefits in aerodynamics at subsonic speeds and at high angles of attack. The forward-swept wing, which enables the aircraft to increase its range and its manoeuvrability at high altitude, makes extensive use of composite materials. The aircraft has large canards mounted on the intake side, close to the leading edge of the wing. The vertical stabilizers are canted slightly outward [not inward, as previously believed], and two large auxiliary intake doors are visible on the center fuselage section. It is still unclear which engines are used on this aircraft. The two powerplants are at the moment D-30F6 turbojets which are normaly used at the MiG-31M, while the second prototype uses the Ljulka AL-37FU turbojet with thrust vectoring. The S-37 is an experimental programme for developing fifth-generation technologies, and any decision on serial production of this aircraft would be taken by the Ministry of Defence at a later date.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Totmacher @ Feb. 11 2003,14:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">@Kegetys this http://www.sci.fi/~fta/su-27-02l.jpg is a Sukhoi Su27 Flanker! smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, I can see that (Same pic I posted, duh?), and certainly nothing like the flashpoint.ru screens.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Feb. 11 2003,14:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Totmacher @ Feb. 11 2003,14:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">@Kegetys this http://www.sci.fi/~fta/su-27-02l.jpg is a Sukhoi Su27 Flanker! smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, I can see that (Same pic I posted, duh?), and certainly nothing like the flashpoint.ru screens.<span id='postcolor'>

Actually Kegetys was right from the beginning. The picture is actually Su-37 Super Flanker, though the file name says Su-27. The Super Flanker has those extra airfoils in front of the wings, whereas Flanker has not. Both Su-35 and Su-37 are based on the same model, and they're both called Super Flanker.

ah, I didnt even notice he claimed it to be a Su27 tounge.gif And yes, its a Su37 in the pic I posted.

wow.gif9--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Feb. 11 2003,14wow.gif9)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ah, I didnt even notice he claimed it to be a Su27 tounge.gif And yes, its a Su37 in the pic I posted.<span id='postcolor'>

or in other name Su-27M (wich is correct both for Su-35 and Su-37)

But it is for shure Su-37.

Plane showed on picture, "711", is T-10M-11, 11th prototype of Su-27M, first called Su-37. It's first flight was recorded on 2 April 1996. It was also the plane showed in 96' Farnborough, showing beautiful "summersault" figure...

biggrin.gif Heh..Pugatchev's Cobra manoueuvre..the plane is actually flying backwards for a couple of seconds..The pilot has to override the aircraft's fly by wire system, so that he can put in the inputs necessary to perform such a maneuovre (Fly by wire is sytsem that limits pilots inputs so that the aircraft remains in teh flight envelope).....Shash's lesson for the day biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shashman @ Feb. 11 2003,19:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">biggrin.gif Heh..Pugatchev's Cobra manoueuvre..the plane is actually flying backwards for a couple of seconds..The pilot has to override the aircraft's fly by wire system, so that he can put in the inputs necessary to perform such a maneuovre (Fly by wire is sytsem that limits pilots inputs so that the aircraft remains in teh flight envelope).....Shash's lesson for the day  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, I've seen that movie too wink.gif

Seriously, Flanker and MiG-29 are one of the few jets capable of doing the maneuver without stalling/overheating the engines when the supply of air cuts off. And without using the manual pitch override (that fly-by-wire override) the plane is very susceptible to entering a deep stall.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spitfire @ Feb. 11 2003,18:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shashman @ Feb. 11 2003,19:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">biggrin.gif Heh..Pugatchev's Cobra manoueuvre..the plane is actually flying backwards for a couple of seconds..The pilot has to override the aircraft's fly by wire system, so that he can put in the inputs necessary to perform such a maneuovre (Fly by wire is sytsem that limits pilots inputs so that the aircraft remains in teh flight envelope).....Shash's lesson for the day biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Seriously, Flanker and MiG-29 are one of the few jets capable of doing the maneuver without stalling/overheating the engines when the supply of air cuts off. And without using the manual pitch override (that fly-by-wire override) the plane is very susceptible to entering a deep stall.<span id='postcolor'>

Afaik MiG-29 is not capable to manage this figure, maybe MiG-35 with front steering surfaces... But "Summerault" ("Pugatchovs Cobra" pulled up to 360°) is surely avaiable only at Su-37 :]]]

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Johann "onn" Bitsoenn @ Feb. 11 2003,19:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spitfire @ Feb. 11 2003,18:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shashman @ Feb. 11 2003,19:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">biggrin.gif Heh..Pugatchev's Cobra manoueuvre..the plane is actually flying backwards for a couple of seconds..The pilot has to override the aircraft's fly by wire system, so that he can put in the inputs necessary to perform such a maneuovre (Fly by wire is sytsem that limits pilots inputs so that the aircraft remains in teh flight envelope).....Shash's lesson for the day  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Seriously, Flanker and MiG-29 are one of the few jets capable of doing the maneuver without stalling/overheating the engines when the supply of air cuts off. And without using the manual pitch override (that fly-by-wire override) the plane is very susceptible to entering a deep stall.<span id='postcolor'>

Afaik MiG-29 is not capable to manage this figure, maybe MiG-35 with front steering surfaces... But "Summerault" ("Pugatchovs Cobra" pulled up to 360°) is surely avaiable only at Su-37 :]]]<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Afaik MiG-29 is not capable to manage this figure, maybe MiG-35 with front steering surfaces... But "Summerault" ("Pugatchovs Cobra" pulled up to 360°) is surely avaiable only at Su-37 :]]] <span id='postcolor'>

A Su-27 can do a cobra:

http://aeroweb.lucia.it/~agretch/Movies/cobra.MPG

L8R,

TopCover

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (TopCover @ Feb. 11 2003,22:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Afaik MiG-29 is not capable to manage this figure, maybe MiG-35 with front steering surfaces... But "Summerault" ("Pugatchovs Cobra" pulled up to 360°) is surely avaiable only at Su-37 :]]] <span id='postcolor'>

A Su-27 can do a cobra:

http://aeroweb.lucia.it/~agretch/Movies/cobra.MPG

L8R,

TopCover<span id='postcolor'>

Could you read what I've wrote once again? :]

And what movie might that be Spitfire? I saw this being done for real...And also, MIG-29 cannot perform this manoeuvre as it does not have thrust vectoring nozzles wink.gif This manoeuvre can only be performed with the aid of thrust vectoring...Here, in a nutshell is how it is performed :to begin the manoeuvre at 220kts, at a pitch angle of 20degrees the aircraft's FBW system is switched off to allow extremely rapid (aircraft nose up) tailplane deflection.This produces a pitch angle change of about 100degrees in 2 seconds with maximum pitch rate of 70deg/sec.Pilot then makes a rapid nose up manoeuvre.The greatest tendency for nose-slice due to assymetric vortex shedding from the long forebody occurs at about 40deg AoA.The pilot has to make sure this region is passed through quickly. After this, at around 60deg. AoA,flow over the wing is fully separated and the centre of lift has already started moving back from about quarter chord.This starts the tendency to dampen and finally stop the nose up pitching movement at 110deg. AoA.At 80Deg. AoA and beyond,the wing "lift" is now at half chord (i.e behind the centre of gravity) and results in a nose down tendency to reduce AoA towards recovery.The speed at maximum pitch attitude is around 170kts.Because of the enormous rise in drag during the manoeuvre there is a substantial loss of speed from around 220kts to 70kts but with no noticeable loss of height.Nose down pitch continues and takes about 2 seconds from maximum pitch attitude to wings level.By the time level flight is re-established, full afterburner is selected to regain lost speed..Of course this would be much easier to understand if I could draw you an illustration, but hey...lol biggrin.gif

End of lesson..Class dismissed tounge.gif

Continuing with abit offtopic discussion, Here is a nice (although quite low-res) video of what the Su37 can do.

From what I've read, the Cobra manuever has no tactical value. In fact, it leaves the plane with no energy at all, so it's in effect, a sitting duck. Unless it can be masked from sensors, it's going to get wasted at medium range with IR seeking AAMs. It's a beautiful show of the plane's manueverablity, however.

actully i think that they use it in dogfights when there close so esentully they dont do it to that degree. and they found it out on accedent biggrin.gif

Well, if I'm an Eagle-driver, and I'm dogfighting with a SU-27 that decides to try this on me... I'd definately use the F-15's excellent thrust-to-weight ratio to extend my distance, and get the drop on the Flanker. I'm no expert, but I'm sure this has been discussed at the advanced tactics schools like Topgun...